Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? 09:19 - Mar 3 with 9680 viewsTomLawrence1

Following Paul Hurst’s sacking, it was hard to imagine that his record at the club could ever possibly be matched, but now it has. He says all the right things and has galvanised everything off the pitch but he seems completely tactically inept - if McCarthy would have played 5-4-1 at home with a winger up front, people would have been calling for his head.

There seemed to be no game plan yesterday, a 90 minute scrap relying on under par players to work it out for themselves. It’s this tactical ineptitude that has me worried, a manager still trying to find a system after nearly five months in the job is unheard of. It was the same story for PL at Stoke. And he done nothing with Wolves and Blackburn. It went downhill with Villa too.

The assumption of some Ipswich fans that we will rocket straight back up to the Championship is naïve. We could not even beat Accrington Stanley in the

Our demise may have only just begun...

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 14:10 - Mar 3 with 2100 views44_not_out

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 13:54 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

There's a fair old distance between your previous position of "of course he's the man" and the position you're now adopting of "time will tell".

Of course he is, in terms of, it would be absurd to even consider getting yet another manager in. I have seen enough in him to believe he is definitely the right fit. My position remains.

Saying ‘only time will tell’ covers a multitude of possibilities. For example, will you ever say anything constructive on here?
Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 14:33 - Mar 3 with 2074 viewsHerbivore

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 14:10 - Mar 3 by 44_not_out

Of course he is, in terms of, it would be absurd to even consider getting yet another manager in. I have seen enough in him to believe he is definitely the right fit. My position remains.

Saying ‘only time will tell’ covers a multitude of possibilities. For example, will you ever say anything constructive on here?

Oh dear.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 14:38 - Mar 3 with 2068 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:25 - Mar 3 by sotd78

Two mistakes. Starting with slow players in a back three against pace.
Then not going 4 at the back when Collins came off - which then compromised the subs available. We needed fresh legs on 75 minutes and had none left to use.

As fir the future - we are signing our youngsters on better deals - protecting the future. The U18 and 23 teams are doing great. We need to put a spine in place and play exciting youngsters around that. So four key players
Goalie, Centre half, midfield dynamo, striker. Add a winger and it would be shades of Bobby Robson and how we built our first decent team under him.

This is true but all managers make bad calls at times (and some get away with them sometimes too).

The worst possible thing we could do is put it all back in the melting pot by sacking Lambert and trying again now. He needs to be given pre-season and a chance to mould his own team (with some better oversight over new signings than was shown last summer - including a limit on how many).

We need gradual change like we had before Hurst arrived instead of radical overhaul. Although, League 1 might give a chance for more change than if we had remained at this level.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 14:50 - Mar 3 with 2050 viewsHerbivore

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 14:38 - Mar 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

This is true but all managers make bad calls at times (and some get away with them sometimes too).

The worst possible thing we could do is put it all back in the melting pot by sacking Lambert and trying again now. He needs to be given pre-season and a chance to mould his own team (with some better oversight over new signings than was shown last summer - including a limit on how many).

We need gradual change like we had before Hurst arrived instead of radical overhaul. Although, League 1 might give a chance for more change than if we had remained at this level.

Has anyone actually called for him to be replaced though?

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 15:09 - Mar 3 with 2024 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 14:50 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

Has anyone actually called for him to be replaced though?

"Is Paul Lambert the right man for us?" suggests that does it not?

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 15:13 - Mar 3 with 2018 viewsHerbivore

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 15:09 - Mar 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

"Is Paul Lambert the right man for us?" suggests that does it not?

Although the OP also says on page 1 that he's not calling for Lambert to be sacked.

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 15:16 - Mar 3 with 2014 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 15:13 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

Although the OP also says on page 1 that he's not calling for Lambert to be sacked.

That's alright then, so the thread should be titled "I don't mean what I say".

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 15:20 - Mar 3 with 2011 viewsHerbivore

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 15:16 - Mar 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

That's alright then, so the thread should be titled "I don't mean what I say".

You don't really do nuance, do you?

Login to get fewer ads

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 15:27 - Mar 3 with 1989 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 15:20 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

You don't really do nuance, do you?

Nuissance? I certainly do that.

The OP's argument seems to be that Lambert is not up to the job and we are destined to struggle next season but then backtracks to, "I am not saying we should sack him". Rather like the OP's arguments that Quaner claims to be a winger and Jackson was one of the top scorers in League 1.

The only nuance in the title would be that the post had no point in the first place if the OP meant what they later claim. Does the OP really want us to keep a manager they are sure is not up to the job? Perhaps they meant to word their posts "Lambert may prove not to be the man but we should give him a proper chance" and Quaner might claim to be a striker but he is probably better on the wing and Jackson is unproven at League 1 level. I am sure that's what they meant to put.

My own thoughts on Jackson and Quaner are that Quaner must have a finisher alongside him if he is our target man and Jackson hasn't been given a fair go because no one could have thrived in the team he was in.

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 15:38 - Mar 3 with 1971 viewsHerbivore

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 15:27 - Mar 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

The OP's argument seems to be that Lambert is not up to the job and we are destined to struggle next season but then backtracks to, "I am not saying we should sack him". Rather like the OP's arguments that Quaner claims to be a winger and Jackson was one of the top scorers in League 1.

The only nuance in the title would be that the post had no point in the first place if the OP meant what they later claim. Does the OP really want us to keep a manager they are sure is not up to the job? Perhaps they meant to word their posts "Lambert may prove not to be the man but we should give him a proper chance" and Quaner might claim to be a striker but he is probably better on the wing and Jackson is unproven at League 1 level. I am sure that's what they meant to put.

My own thoughts on Jackson and Quaner are that Quaner must have a finisher alongside him if he is our target man and Jackson hasn't been given a fair go because no one could have thrived in the team he was in.

I think it's not entirely unreasonable to question whether he is the right man for the job whilst ultimately thinking he deserves the summer and a chunk of next season to see what he can do. That's kind of where I'm at with regards to Lambert. Results and performances haven't been good enough, he can't be entirely immune from criticism.

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 16:08 - Mar 3 with 1933 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 15:38 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

I think it's not entirely unreasonable to question whether he is the right man for the job whilst ultimately thinking he deserves the summer and a chunk of next season to see what he can do. That's kind of where I'm at with regards to Lambert. Results and performances haven't been good enough, he can't be entirely immune from criticism.

I am concerned he might not be the right man. That is fair enough. He needs to be given a chance to prove one way or another so the question and the thread based on it are rather pointless except in the sense of "I am a little concerned it might not pan out right".

There are at least 12 clubs in the football pyramid for whom it won't pan out right and when you factor in all the Villa, Stoke, possibly West Brom and Derbys, then probably something more like 30-50 clubs.

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 22:36 - Mar 3 with 1838 viewsRobTheMonk

Loads and loads of injuries and inheriting some rubbish. However, I believe the initial style that he tried to played was extremly naive considering the players we have. He nearly lost me when we had Gerken playing backwards passes when he was 8 yards off his goal line. He's tweaked it and it has looked marginally better. We're ultimately going down so might as well stick with it. A pre season with a new squad and come October we'll have a better understanding of where we are.
Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 23:37 - Mar 3 with 1803 viewsTomLawrence1

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 15:27 - Mar 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

I was questioning whether Lambert was the right man for the job - I’ve seen nothing on the pitch that is evidential to him being the right man for the job. I was not saying he should be sacked necessarily, it just feels like many Town fans are incapable of criticising him. He’s yet to prove he is the messiah so many seem to treat him.
Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:09 - Mar 4 with 1725 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 13:54 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

There's a fair old distance between your previous position of "of course he's the man" and the position you're now adopting of "time will tell".

That was the point I was making, but in fairness I think this posters response makes it clear he means he’s the man in the sense that he thinks we should stick with him and not look for anyone else to be the man, rather than saying that Lambert is absolutely definitely, 100% the man

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:24 - Mar 4 with 1722 views44_not_out

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:09 - Mar 4 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

That was the point I was making, but in fairness I think this posters response makes it clear he means he’s the man in the sense that he thinks we should stick with him and not look for anyone else to be the man, rather than saying that Lambert is absolutely definitely, 100% the man

Exactly that. If ‘the man’ was out there, then get him in but unless time travel is possible, we will have to wait and see.
Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:51 - Mar 4 with 1696 viewsHerbivore

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:24 - Mar 4 by 44_not_out

Exactly that. If ‘the man’ was out there, then get him in but unless time travel is possible, we will have to wait and see.

This may be a TWTD first, people reaching a point of agreement.

Arf on 09:58 - Mar 4 with 1697 viewsDyland

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:25 - Mar 3 by SomethingBlue

We'll find out next season. Until then nobody really knows.

To be honest, though, as soon as I see "tactically inept" in a post I tend not to read much further. It's exhausting.

I was going to ask what team/formation/tactics the OP would have gone with but like you, thought what's the point.

All things considered Lambert was probably right to wait until half time to rectify the awful formation in the first half. Doesn't fill fans with confidence making such a switch in a first half. Maybe. Maybe not. Dunno.

Our lack of pace across the whole team was exposed by a largely pedestrian relegation threatened team. It's a personnel issue rather than tactics per se, not helped by our "bad luck" with injuries. Lambert certainly not immune from criticism, injuries notwithstanding. E.g. hard to see how Dozzell isn't getting any game time at all.

EDIT: Forgot that Lambert wasn't on the touchline. Anyway, all done and dusted now. Fine margins and decisions aside we can't say we've been unlucky this season. Mostly of our own making, from top to bottom.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2019 10:04]

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:56 - Mar 4 with 1660 views44_not_out

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:51 - Mar 4 by Herbivore

This may be a TWTD first, people reaching a point of agreement.

Last week it was public apologies on here..... We are subconsciously all coming together under PL’s dictatorship..... I mean management 👍🏻
Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:58 - Mar 4 with 1659 viewsSwansea_Blue

It kind of doesn't matter whether he is or isn't. Another way of looking at it - if ME got rid of Lambert, how confident are you that he would find a much better quality replacement? Exactly.

We may as well stick and see if Lambert can build something next year. He's got the PR sorted, now just needs to work on the FPR bit.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 14:29 - Mar 4 with 1596 viewsitfcjoe

I hope so, because that is who we have got for next season - and in order for it not to be a wasted season then it needs to be!

I can understand why people are asking questions, his attempt to save us has been a disaster really though, for any positives 2 wins in 20 tells a large part of the story. Realistically on the pitch could anyone have done worse?

But I have faith he is the right man, I may be mad but I think come Auguest we will be ready for an assault on L1 for promotion - come November we'll know whether he is or isn't.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024