Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? 09:19 - Mar 3 with 9686 viewsTomLawrence1

Following Paul Hurst’s sacking, it was hard to imagine that his record at the club could ever possibly be matched, but now it has. He says all the right things and has galvanised everything off the pitch but he seems completely tactically inept - if McCarthy would have played 5-4-1 at home with a winger up front, people would have been calling for his head.

There seemed to be no game plan yesterday, a 90 minute scrap relying on under par players to work it out for themselves. It’s this tactical ineptitude that has me worried, a manager still trying to find a system after nearly five months in the job is unheard of. It was the same story for PL at Stoke. And he done nothing with Wolves and Blackburn. It went downhill with Villa too.

The assumption of some Ipswich fans that we will rocket straight back up to the Championship is naïve. We could not even beat Accrington Stanley in the

Our demise may have only just begun...

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:50 - Mar 3 with 2703 views44_not_out

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:41 - Mar 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

That he’s not actually the man?

So you have no alternative option, but think we should get rid of Lambert.

I suspect if you ask your mum nicely, she’ll let you have another hour on FIFA, if you’ve done your homework
Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:53 - Mar 3 with 2699 viewsBlueBadger

In a nutshell, this is where I'm at.
bullsht by ITFC_Forever 2 Mar 2019 20:46
I’m on the fence with PL.

Lots of good PR and you can say Hurst irretrievably damaged the squad before Lambert took over. So much so that we were so far adrift by the time the January window came along, we could only sign the dross (Quaner), the desperate (Keane) and Judge (Lord only knows what he’s doing playing for us).

We’ve improved from being awful to not very good.

But ultimately, we are still going down. I’m not judging him until we have had next summer and started the following season.

Edit: So for all that, I’m finding it hard to get too carried away with the love-athon.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:53 - Mar 3 with 2696 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:50 - Mar 3 by 44_not_out

So you have no alternative option, but think we should get rid of Lambert.

I suspect if you ask your mum nicely, she’ll let you have another hour on FIFA, if you’ve done your homework

Where did I say we should get rid of Lambert?

Maybe you should have tried harder on your own homework given those reading skills

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:04 - Mar 3 with 2675 views44_not_out

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:53 - Mar 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Where did I say we should get rid of Lambert?

Maybe you should have tried harder on your own homework given those reading skills

So you’re trying to whip up a debate, but actually have no opinion.

I’ll file you in the ‘never kicked a ball in your life’ section.

Do you call radio Suffolk post match by any chance?
Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:10 - Mar 3 with 2653 viewsBlueNode

Its easier to blame everything on Hurst, therefore PL has no expectation and cannot fail to do anything wrong.... onwards and downwards
[Post edited 3 Mar 2019 11:11]

Synapse central - No, I have not got a cold!
Poll: Is it time now for a protest regarding Evans lack of investment in the Club?

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:11 - Mar 3 with 2643 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:04 - Mar 3 by 44_not_out

So you’re trying to whip up a debate, but actually have no opinion.

I’ll file you in the ‘never kicked a ball in your life’ section.

Do you call radio Suffolk post match by any chance?

Rather rich considering you still haven’t answered the simple question I asked

Regards
Healy
Aged 34 and 16 year SIL regular

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:16 - Mar 3 with 2618 views44_not_out

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:11 - Mar 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Rather rich considering you still haven’t answered the simple question I asked

Regards
Healy
Aged 34 and 16 year SIL regular

I think I dismissed the OP by say ‘of course’ he’s [Lambert] the man.

SIL.... good effort. I’ll re-file you under ‘knows a bit’
Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:22 - Mar 3 with 2603 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:16 - Mar 3 by 44_not_out

I think I dismissed the OP by say ‘of course’ he’s [Lambert] the man.

SIL.... good effort. I’ll re-file you under ‘knows a bit’

There’s not really anything to justify that he’s the man currently though, other than blind faith, is there?

Login to get fewer ads

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:25 - Mar 3 with 2589 viewspointofblue

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:22 - Mar 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

There’s not really anything to justify that he’s the man currently though, other than blind faith, is there?

This is the problem - for all his good work off the pitch we’re no better on it, results wise, than if we’d kept Hurst on his PPG trajectory.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:25 - Mar 3 with 2595 viewsSomethingBlue

We'll find out next season. Until then nobody really knows.

To be honest, though, as soon as I see "tactically inept" in a post I tend not to read much further. It's exhausting.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:31 - Mar 3 with 2558 views44_not_out

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:22 - Mar 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Reconnecting with the fans
Crowds of over 20K
A more exciting brand of football - not necessarily better style
Already committed to next season, regardless of division
A firm commitment to providing a pathway for ‘our own’
Also, he appears to have given our owner a new perspective.... next years admission prices will give us a better idea

Add a proven goalscorer or two (appreciate this is every teams aim).

I think there’s hope and not just blind faith.
Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:32 - Mar 3 with 2555 viewsTomLawrence1

To clarify my original post, I am not instantly dismissing Lambert, just merely questioning if he is the right man for the job. Okay he inherited an dreadful squad and league position in October, but those treating Lambert as some kind of saviour for our football club need to have a good rethink. We’re bottom of the table almost 5 months into Lambert’s reign and we have managed to grind out 2 wins in 23 games under him.

Give him the summer to rebuild, a transfer window and a couple of months into next season and if nothing improves then I really fear for the club.
Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:33 - Mar 3 with 2552 viewsHerbivore

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:31 - Mar 3 by 44_not_out

Crowds of over 20K
Also, he appears to have given our owner a new perspective.... next years admission prices will give us a better idea

Sadly none of that is making us better at football, which is the main purpose of his job.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:35 - Mar 3 with 2545 viewsChurchman75

Give over

Have a look at George Hurley results when he took over = horrendous run

Give the guy a chance, it may take a few years but we'll get back to wear we realistically belong....

The Championship

Poll: Attendance today as its community day and ticket offer..... SAR Upper is full..

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:37 - Mar 3 with 2533 viewsNuggets

I’d begrudgingly give Lambert the summer to rebuild (I like to think he knows what is required and has a fairly good January transfer record) and then give him half of next season. We need promotion first time of asking, or we are looking at a potential several year spell in division three, like what happened to Sheffield United.

I get why some fans aren’t overly impressed by Lambert, as the results have been poor. But given the squad and situation he inherited, and his relationship with supporters, I think we shouldn’t be sacking managers every half a year without good reason. Give him a chance to mould his own squad. I don’t think we will be attracting many talented managers in League One, unfortunately.

Blog: Disappointing Result, But Can Some of Us Drop the Sense of Entitlement?

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:46 - Mar 3 with 2513 viewsTrequartista

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:33 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

Sadly none of that is making us better at football, which is the main purpose of his job.

....said Trequartista 2 months ago to a shower of downarrows and name-calling.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:48 - Mar 3 with 2510 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:31 - Mar 3 by 44_not_out

Crowds of over 20K

They’re all great if backed up with results, but none of those are actually relevant to the main part of his job - ie. winning football matches - are they?

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:50 - Mar 3 with 2503 viewspointofblue

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:48 - Mar 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

They’re all great if backed up with results, but none of those are actually relevant to the main part of his job - ie. winning football matches - are they?

Plus it’s the same mistakes over and over which makes me wonder what’s been done on the training pitch to rectify these issues. It’s not as though we’re being outplayed game after game but we’re consistently making needless errors.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:52 - Mar 3 with 2501 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Yes. That is all.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 12:09 - Mar 3 with 2469 views44_not_out

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 11:33 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

Maybe, but I get the impression some on here want yet another direction.

You said I was only harbouring blind faith.

I’m trying to suggest reasons to be hopeful. As I’ve said, if you can even suggest other better alternatives, I’m all ears.... alas all I hear is negativity
Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 12:11 - Mar 3 with 2465 viewsFreddy

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 09:31 - Mar 3 by christiand

Yes, I still believe he is. Our team in August will be completely different to the one we saw yesterday. Let’s not forget, we created enough chances to win against Reading, Martinez in their goal had a very good game plus some poor finishing from us. PL has not had a pre season and he can mould the team to his ethos with players he actually wants. It was all about survival with this current squad and sadly they’ve proved they aren’t good enough, but the blame isn’t with PL solely the damage was done before then. Relegation might actually be a good thing. PL can get rid of the deadwood and actually build a side again with some of the promising youngsters and a sprinkling of experience, something Ipswich did in the past and then go again. After this dreadful season, I’m strangely more hopeful and optimistic about our long term prospects even though we’ll be in League One!
[Post edited 3 Mar 2019 16:35]

It'll only be different if Evans invests
Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 12:24 - Mar 3 with 2443 viewsHerbivore

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 12:09 - Mar 3 by 44_not_out

Maybe, but I get the impression some on here want yet another direction.

You said I was only harbouring blind faith.

I’m trying to suggest reasons to be hopeful. As I’ve said, if you can even suggest other better alternatives, I’m all ears.... alas all I hear is negativity

I never said anything about blind faith. I simply pointed out that your reasons for thinking Lambert is the man to take us forward aren't anything to do with us getting better at football. That said I think he needs to be given the summer and some of next season before we can really judge.

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 12:57 - Mar 3 with 2423 views44_not_out

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 12:24 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

I never said anything about blind faith. I simply pointed out that your reasons for thinking Lambert is the man to take us forward aren't anything to do with us getting better at football. That said I think he needs to be given the summer and some of next season before we can really judge.

It was another poster who suggested ‘blind faith’.

You are right time will tell. But we’ll only know if PL is the man if we give him time
Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 13:54 - Mar 3 with 2376 viewsHerbivore

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 12:57 - Mar 3 by 44_not_out

It was another poster who suggested ‘blind faith’.

You are right time will tell. But we’ll only know if PL is the man if we give him time

There's a fair old distance between your previous position of "of course he's the man" and the position you're now adopting of "time will tell".

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 14:00 - Mar 3 with 2364 viewsreusersfreekicks

Is Paul Lambert the right man for us? on 10:31 - Mar 3 by BlueBadger

You're forgetting that those were Improved Performances, though.

Maybe consider changing the record or even going to a match to see the improved performances
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024