Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where to start with Birmingham City? 16:15 - Mar 11 with 5801 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Firstly, I am glad to see that idiot has been given a life ban and will spend the next 3 months in prison.

Now I agree that is a perfectly fair penalty for the crime in my eyes, but it is massively inconsistent with other assaults, that are witnessed and go unpunished. Absolutely no doubt that he's been made an example of.

Secondly, I wonder how you all feel on the subject of a fan, probably intoxicated, with low intelligence, or both running onto the pitch and assaulting a player and being banned for life and imprisoned, but yet when a footballer, who is a role model, jumps over a hoarding and assaults a fan in a potentially more threatening manner, they get a ban. Strikes me as odd that a footballer, who should have a greater duty of care if anything, can get away with that.

Thirdly, I can't think of a club I dislike more than Birmingham. I actually include Norwich in that, who are just desperately tin pot. Anyone who was there in 2001 and witnessed kids being assaulted, stewards throwing punches at Town fans and our own players actually intimidated out of a cup final will hate Brum forever. Absolutely disgusting behaviour from them (even down to the deliberate destruction of the pitch) and the gutless FA did nothing.

Fourthly, any news on the steward dragged away by cops after he assaulted Grealish? Did he get arrested or was he just restrained? After what I saw there in our Worthington Cup Semi Final defeat, I am really not surprised. Their stewards were essentially just fans, like the angriest ones you get in the North Stand.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Where to start with Birmingham City? on 17:07 - Mar 11 with 5710 viewsBobbychase

I also still remember that semi-final. Pitch invasion after every Brum goal, challenging our fans to a fight every time, and pelting us with coins pretty much the entire match. My brother got there early and saw Sheepshanks getting abused by some brummies as he walked into the stadium, and saw the same fans in the corporate seats later.

But its not just big games. I've been there for a run of the mill league match and seen a few fans go on the pitch when they scored.

There's something weird in the water there. Horrible, horrible club.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Where to start with Birmingham City? on 19:27 - Mar 11 with 5586 viewsclive_baker

Is there anything more Brexit than St Andrews on derby day?

For the good of football he had to be made an example of to deter others from thinking about it (not that that's necessarily a consideration for the courts). If he had've harmlessly streaked onto the pitch yesterday and then half punch / slapped Grealish in a bar last night he wouldn't have ended up in prison though, I'm sure of that. Not that I'm suggesting he's been harshly treated, he deserves it.

It was a disgraceful act, I couldn't believe my eyes. Every club has it's idiots, and the pitch invader could've happened anywhere, but what was really telling to me was the sheer amount of people that were applauding his actions as he walked off, followed by chants of "one punch, and he knocked him out" etc. There were a lot of people there seemingly condoning his actions. Horrible club and horrible set of fans. Scum.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Where to start with Birmingham City? on 19:30 - Mar 11 with 5575 viewsTractorWood

St Andrews is a very nasty place to go and watch football as a visiting fan. Very intimidating. Will only go back if we have a massive game there.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Where to start with Birmingham City? on 19:40 - Mar 11 with 5554 viewsWithnail

2001 was a brilliant night (except for the result).

They don't make them like that any more.
Where to start with Birmingham City? on 19:50 - Mar 11 with 5524 viewsm14_blue

Where to start with Birmingham City? on 19:40 - Mar 11 by Withnail

2001 was a brilliant night (except for the result).

They don't make them like that any more.

This.

I was quite a young lad, pelted with coins and whatever else they could lay their hands on for the entire game. Loved every second of it. Apart from the gut wrenching result obviously.

Best atmosphere I’ve seen at a Town game, with THAT Bolton game a close second.
Where to start with Birmingham City? on 19:58 - Mar 11 with 5504 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I actually quite like Birmingham. Good city and a good, passionate set of fans, who travel in very good numbers.

Obviously a few wronguns but every club has them.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Where to start with Birmingham City? on 20:04 - Mar 11 with 5482 viewsIllinoisblue

LOL "intimidated out a cup final" LOL have a word with yourself

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Where to start with Birmingham City? on 20:38 - Mar 11 with 5390 viewsPJH

Where to start with Birmingham City? on 20:04 - Mar 11 by Illinoisblue

They made full use of the home advantage in that second leg and it was an intimidating night off the pitch but I don't think that our players were intimidated.
The only other atmosphere that I can remember being that hostile in the last 20 years or so was the whichever playoff game it was at Upton Park when Pardew had got their supporters pumped up.
Login to get fewer ads

Where to start with Birmingham City? on 20:45 - Mar 11 with 5368 viewsgainsboroughblue

Where to start with Birmingham City? on 20:38 - Mar 11 by PJH

They made full use of the home advantage in that second leg and it was an intimidating night off the pitch but I don't think that our players were intimidated.
The only other atmosphere that I can remember being that hostile in the last 20 years or so was the whichever playoff game it was at Upton Park when Pardew had got their supporters pumped up.

It was the 2003-04 one where Bent had a one on one early on which could have finished it. Even late on, I think it was Westlake (?) who hit the upright.

The noise in that second half was ridiculous. We made a hell of a racket in the away end which would have been lauded had it had been heard over the sheer volume of the home crowd.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Where to start with Birmingham City? on 20:52 - Mar 11 with 5329 viewsPJH

Where to start with Birmingham City? on 20:45 - Mar 11 by gainsboroughblue

It was the 2003-04 one where Bent had a one on one early on which could have finished it. Even late on, I think it was Westlake (?) who hit the upright.

The noise in that second half was ridiculous. We made a hell of a racket in the away end which would have been lauded had it had been heard over the sheer volume of the home crowd.

Yes, I remember Westlake hitting the post with just about the last kick of the game-bit like Sedgley(I think) hitting the woodwork late in the Sheff U playoff game.

West Ham had it really sussed how to make the best of their home leg,I remember the ballboys getting the ball back asap for their throws and taking an eternity with ours-until they got ahead on aggregate then it was a go slow for them as well.

edit-thinking about it they probably did not delay getting the ball back to us whilst we still had the aggregate lead but certainly did once they were 2-1 ahead.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2019 20:58]
Where to start with Birmingham City? on 20:53 - Mar 11 with 5324 viewsCoastalblue

I've been to St Andrews a few times and enjoyed it if I'm honest, no excuse for the dickwad obviously but I've never had a problem with Brum fans and got drunk with a few after the game a couple of times.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Where to start with Birmingham City? on 20:55 - Mar 11 with 5324 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Where to start with Birmingham City? on 20:04 - Mar 11 by Illinoisblue

TWO separate players from that side have both told me the same story.

Once Scowy equalised the players actually started to panic. It was clear from two previous pitch invasions that the fans couldn’t be stopped and the match wouldn’t be abandoned.

Up until then they felt protected to a degree but they realised after we got back ahead on away goals that if we went through they could be in real danger. Said we started to fall apart at that point.

If I’d heard that from one player I’d have assumed it was an excuse. But both said they started to genuinely worry for what might happen and that they felt the ref felt likewise and started to give everything their way as soon as we were back in the tie.

So yes. I stand by my original statement. Our players were actually scared.

Where to start with Birmingham City? on 20:56 - Mar 11 with 5310 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Where to start with Birmingham City? on 19:50 - Mar 11 by m14_blue

This.

I was quite a young lad, pelted with coins and whatever else they could lay their hands on for the entire game. Loved every second of it. Apart from the gut wrenching result obviously.

Best atmosphere I’ve seen at a Town game, with THAT Bolton game a close second.

You loved being pelted with coins? How odd.

Where to start with Birmingham City? on 21:03 - Mar 11 with 5283 viewsm14_blue

Where to start with Birmingham City? on 20:56 - Mar 11 by WarkTheWarkITFC

You loved being pelted with coins? How odd.

I am odd tbf.

I loved the atmosphere yes, there was a crackle in the air that night that you very rarely feel in modern football.
Where to start with Birmingham City? on 21:13 - Mar 11 with 5247 viewsIllinoisblue

Where to start with Birmingham City? on 20:55 - Mar 11 by WarkTheWarkITFC

TWO separate players from that side have both told me the same story.

Once Scowy equalised the players actually started to panic. It was clear from two previous pitch invasions that the fans couldn’t be stopped and the match wouldn’t be abandoned.

Up until then they felt protected to a degree but they realised after we got back ahead on away goals that if we went through they could be in real danger. Said we started to fall apart at that point.

If I’d heard that from one player I’d have assumed it was an excuse. But both said they started to genuinely worry for what might happen and that they felt the ref felt likewise and started to give everything their way as soon as we were back in the tie.

So yes. I stand by my original statement. Our players were actually scared.

it was the general tone of your original post that made me laugh; came across as you being upset that those nasty Brummies made too much noise for us and "intimidated us out of a cup final". I believe the word/s we're looking for are "bottled it".

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Where to start with Birmingham City? on 21:24 - Mar 11 with 5192 viewsEastTownBlue

Where to start with Birmingham City? on 20:52 - Mar 11 by PJH

Yes, I remember Westlake hitting the post with just about the last kick of the game-bit like Sedgley(I think) hitting the woodwork late in the Sheff U playoff game.

West Ham had it really sussed how to make the best of their home leg,I remember the ballboys getting the ball back asap for their throws and taking an eternity with ours-until they got ahead on aggregate then it was a go slow for them as well.

edit-thinking about it they probably did not delay getting the ball back to us whilst we still had the aggregate lead but certainly did once they were 2-1 ahead.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2019 20:58]

They used a muti ball system until they were ahead. Following that as soon as the ball went out of the play it took an age to get it back.
Where to start with Birmingham City? on 22:07 - Mar 11 with 5081 viewsPJH

Where to start with Birmingham City? on 21:24 - Mar 11 by EastTownBlue

They used a muti ball system until they were ahead. Following that as soon as the ball went out of the play it took an age to get it back.

Yes, I remembered that they did everything they could to maximise their home advantage.
It worked out well for them although they lost in the final that year didn't they?
Where to start with Birmingham City? on 22:11 - Mar 11 with 5075 viewsgainsboroughblue

Where to start with Birmingham City? on 22:07 - Mar 11 by PJH

Yes, I remembered that they did everything they could to maximise their home advantage.
It worked out well for them although they lost in the final that year didn't they?

Yep. To Palace.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Where to start with Birmingham City? on 22:14 - Mar 11 with 5065 viewsPJH

Where to start with Birmingham City? on 22:11 - Mar 11 by gainsboroughblue

Yep. To Palace.

The following year I thought we had got them sorted when we got the 2-2 at Upton Park then we cocked up the second leg.
Where to start with Birmingham City? on 23:14 - Mar 11 with 4991 viewsbournemouthblue

Where to start with Birmingham City? on 22:14 - Mar 11 by PJH

The following year I thought we had got them sorted when we got the 2-2 at Upton Park then we cocked up the second leg.

Pardew had our number sadly

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024