Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually 10:58 - Mar 21 with 26140 viewsunstableblue

... trying to run our country and improve it, based on being in a solid trading block.

Brexit is a dead duck, that was mis-sold. There is no resolution that is worth the negatives. Lets get back in Europe and be a strong reforming voice.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

If you think Brexit can be solved in anything under 5 to 7 years you are misguided. We haven't even started the process in anger.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 14:59 - Mar 21 with 1940 viewsButterbing

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 14:54 - Mar 21 by Pecker

Because we live in a democracy.

That literally makes no sense. The people voted to leave based on expectations of what leaving would be like. Now we have a better idea of reality it would still be democratic to vote again. The only reason to be worried is if you are still sure that leaving is for the best but believe that enough people have changed their mind to alter the result.
Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 14:59 - Mar 21 with 1943 viewsJ2BLUE

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 14:54 - Mar 21 by Pecker

Surely it's more undemocratic to force 2019 society to accept a 2016 society vote when it comes to something like this?

I'll ask again because I never get an answer. If you still believe Brexit is what people want why not have another vote and kill remain off once and for all? If you don't still believe it is what people want then surely you are the one being undemocratic? We change our minds daily about lots of things and sometimes agonise over tiny decisions but we can't test the water on Brexit?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 15:14 - Mar 21 with 1922 viewsHerbivore

And a referendum is a democratic exercise. I don't see the problem.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 15:20 - Mar 21 with 1906 viewsPecker

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 14:59 - Mar 21 by J2BLUE

Surely it's more undemocratic to force 2019 society to accept a 2016 society vote when it comes to something like this?

I'll ask again because I never get an answer. If you still believe Brexit is what people want why not have another vote and kill remain off once and for all? If you don't still believe it is what people want then surely you are the one being undemocratic? We change our minds daily about lots of things and sometimes agonise over tiny decisions but we can't test the water on Brexit?

And I will say again, we do not have another general election when Tory/labour get in.
Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 15:22 - Mar 21 with 1903 viewsPecker

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 15:14 - Mar 21 by Herbivore

And a referendum is a democratic exercise. I don't see the problem.

Because we have already had one. Remember I voted remain.
Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 15:31 - Mar 21 with 1892 viewsHerbivore

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 15:22 - Mar 21 by Pecker

Repeating that you voted remain doesn't make your point more valid. And your response to J2, actually with a GE we do get to vote again in a few years if we're not happy with how things have gone after the previous vote so I'm not sure that strengthens your argument. Not to mention that GEs are quite different from referendums. Given everything we know now the argument that it would be undemocratic to hold a second vote just doesn't fly.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 15:36 - Mar 21 with 1882 viewsJ2BLUE

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 15:20 - Mar 21 by Pecker

And I will say again, we do not have another general election when Tory/labour get in.

We do have a GE every 5 years (at least). It has been 3 since the referendum and there are strong suggestions the tide has already turned. Why not take this golden opportunity to abort Brexit while we still can, while the harm done is relatively minor?

Just in time for summer, the pound to surge and a cheap holiday somewhere nice to celebrate.

Truly impaired.

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 15:39 - Mar 21 with 1866 viewsPecker

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 15:36 - Mar 21 by J2BLUE

We do have a GE every 5 years (at least). It has been 3 since the referendum and there are strong suggestions the tide has already turned. Why not take this golden opportunity to abort Brexit while we still can, while the harm done is relatively minor?

Just in time for summer, the pound to surge and a cheap holiday somewhere nice to celebrate.

Because we can use article 49 to re-join the EU should we wish. The sooner that happens the better. You could then have your second referendum should the elected government put it into their manifesto. That is democracy.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2019 15:41]
Login to get fewer ads

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 15:39 - Mar 21 with 1866 viewspbishop1799

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 14:59 - Mar 21 by J2BLUE

By your logic, no Parliament would ever serve its full term.
Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 15:52 - Mar 21 with 1828 viewsSwansea_Blue

The problem is there are different types of democracy. We have Parliamentary democracy, where we elect representatives to serve on behalf of ALL of us. And we have thrown into the mix a direct democracy in the form of the referendum. In the case of the Brexit referendum this form of direct democracy was only deemed to be advisory, therefore I assume parliamentary democracy has priority (it certainly has legal priority, as the referendum is not legally binding).

May is trying to overrule parliamentary democracy and has been all along. After her latest outburst yesterday, Bercow's had to step in again and remind her that MP's have a sole duty to the house to represent all constituents in good faith (i.e. honour parliamentary democracy because that is the cornerstone of our system).

That's not to say the result of the referendum shouldn't be implemented, but it's clearly not an easy task to do when the two forms of democracy clash and the outcome of the referendum wasn't clear (i.e. it was not specified HOW we would leave, and there are many different ways to do so).

It's all a bit of a mess.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 15:56 - Mar 21 with 1818 viewsPecker

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 15:52 - Mar 21 by Swansea_Blue

The problem is there are different types of democracy. We have Parliamentary democracy, where we elect representatives to serve on behalf of ALL of us. And we have thrown into the mix a direct democracy in the form of the referendum. In the case of the Brexit referendum this form of direct democracy was only deemed to be advisory, therefore I assume parliamentary democracy has priority (it certainly has legal priority, as the referendum is not legally binding).

May is trying to overrule parliamentary democracy and has been all along. After her latest outburst yesterday, Bercow's had to step in again and remind her that MP's have a sole duty to the house to represent all constituents in good faith (i.e. honour parliamentary democracy because that is the cornerstone of our system).

That's not to say the result of the referendum shouldn't be implemented, but it's clearly not an easy task to do when the two forms of democracy clash and the outcome of the referendum wasn't clear (i.e. it was not specified HOW we would leave, and there are many different ways to do so).

It's all a bit of a mess.

See my post 2 up.
Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 15:59 - Mar 21 with 1800 viewsButterbing

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 15:39 - Mar 21 by Pecker

Because we can use article 49 to re-join the EU should we wish. The sooner that happens the better. You could then have your second referendum should the elected government put it into their manifesto. That is democracy.

Yes, we could potentially rejoin but on worse terms than we have currently.
Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 15:59 - Mar 21 with 1802 viewsgiant_stow

https://odileeds.org/projects/petitions/?241584

Quite interesting.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 16:02 - Mar 21 with 1798 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 15:56 - Mar 21 by Pecker

See my post 2 up.

We could try. I suspect that would be a daft and not very popular approach, as we' be giving up all the concessions we've got already. We'd never get a deal as good as the one we have now. This isn't something that we can just flip in and out of like a gym membership. It's fiendishly complex and will take many, many years to detangle. Similarly it takes many, many years to join.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 16:10 - Mar 21 with 1779 viewsJ2BLUE

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 15:39 - Mar 21 by pbishop1799

By your logic, no Parliament would ever serve its full term.

I don't understand why you think a five year fixed term parliament is equivalent to a 'forever' decision. Is it really so bad to be asked 'now you know more, are you sure?'

Truly impaired.

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 16:11 - Mar 21 with 1775 viewsJ2BLUE

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 15:39 - Mar 21 by Pecker

By that logic, no government can do anything that isn't in its manifesto.

Truly impaired.

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 16:20 - Mar 21 with 1753 viewspbishop1799

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 16:10 - Mar 21 by J2BLUE

I don't understand why you think a five year fixed term parliament is equivalent to a 'forever' decision. Is it really so bad to be asked 'now you know more, are you sure?'

I didn't say that. And nothing is 'forever'.
Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 16:21 - Mar 21 with 1746 viewsSpruceMoose

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 16:10 - Mar 21 by J2BLUE

I'm delighted that you've come round to my way of seeing things. The only reason I can think of why somebody wouldn't like this option is that they think they are going to lose another vote.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2019 16:22]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 16:22 - Mar 21 with 1745 viewsWeWereZombies

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 16:20 - Mar 21 by pbishop1799

I didn't say that. And nothing is 'forever'.

Actually, as a concept, as a pure idea, 'nothing' is one of the few things that is forever.

That is provided nothing can be a thing...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 16:28 - Mar 21 with 1735 viewsPecker

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 16:11 - Mar 21 by J2BLUE

By that logic, no government can do anything that isn't in its manifesto.

Of course it can, but this government was elected with the leave vote already taken and with Mays promise that we would leave.
Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 16:30 - Mar 21 with 1722 viewspbishop1799

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 16:22 - Mar 21 by WeWereZombies

Actually, as a concept, as a pure idea, 'nothing' is one of the few things that is forever.

That is provided nothing can be a thing...

This is easily the best thing I ever read on here.
Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 16:31 - Mar 21 with 1722 viewsSuperfrans

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 15:22 - Mar 21 by Pecker

Sorry, I've been out most of the day and missed most of the posts on this.

I do kind of understand where you are coming from.

Personally, I'm deeply uncomfortable with accepting the result of a referendum where one side (the winning side) was supported by illegal levels of funding and where many of the arguments were sheer invention. Even Farage has said that he wouldn't have put that "£350m a week for the NHS" claim on the side of a bus.

But I also accept the argument that many people voted Leave because they genuinely do want to leave the EU. And to ignore that would undermine democracy.

That said, their view hasn't been ignored. We've spent much of the past three years debating and discussing it, the Government has clearly tried to deliver a form of Brexit that works, for the country and their party and has clearly failed. This both reflects their appalling negotiation skills, but also that what is genuinely acceptable to the nation (a form of Brexit which won't cause irreparable harm) cannot be achieved in time for the deadline.

The fact is that we can't deliver anything acceptable by the end of next week, so we should halt the process, finalise the best deal we can and then put that again to the nation. That means revoking article 50 - and potentially then holding a General Election or creating an all-party coalition (similar to the one we had heading into WWII) electing the people who we believe can negotiate the best deal, on the basis that once that is done, the deal is put to the nation as a further referendum.

Of course, it will all involve huge amounts of time being wasted on something that I don't personally believe is necessary, but we need to do whatever we can to unite the nation behind something...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 16:32 - Mar 21 with 1717 viewsButterbing

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 16:28 - Mar 21 by Pecker

Of course it can, but this government was elected with the leave vote already taken and with Mays promise that we would leave.

Perhaps May should have defined what leave was rather than just saying "Brexit means Brexit" for two years.If we had a competent government the plan would have been in the manifesto. Then she could claim to have a mandate.

I think we should revoke article 50, hold a general election with the parties having their Brexit plan in their manifesto and then invoke article 50 again.
Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 16:33 - Mar 21 with 1717 viewsPecker

Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 16:02 - Mar 21 by Swansea_Blue

We could try. I suspect that would be a daft and not very popular approach, as we' be giving up all the concessions we've got already. We'd never get a deal as good as the one we have now. This isn't something that we can just flip in and out of like a gym membership. It's fiendishly complex and will take many, many years to detangle. Similarly it takes many, many years to join.

That isn't totally true. There is no reason why we couldn't. Of course the EU would PROBABLY make it difficult for us, but NOT necessarily. Although it doesn't seem like it, the EU need us and like having us.
Sign the petition people and let's get back to actually on 16:36 - Mar 21 with 1706 viewsbahri

You can't wait for the Euro to be legal tender, then?

redandella

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024