Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is a good policy from Labour 09:43 - May 16 with 7263 viewsStokieBlue

No mention of cost but I like the idea. They should go further and propose that all new builds must have solar panels fitted at construction time.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/15/labour-reveals-plans-to-fit-sol

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This is a good policy from Labour on 10:00 - May 16 with 3766 viewsbrazil1982

I am always aghast that new developments (esp. large residential tower blocks in cities) do not have solar, wind turbine, living walls or grey water filtering as a standard in the planning process.
Great monoliths going up in Manchester and I think, what's the green impact here?
This is a good policy from Labour on 10:05 - May 16 with 3753 viewsCoachRob

Totally agree with this Stokie it goes some of the way to try and rebalance energy inequality and boost the frankly pathetic amount of energy the UK produces from solar.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attac
This is a good policy from Labour on 10:12 - May 16 with 3737 viewshampstead_blue

This is a no brainer.

I think gov should go further by tightening building regs.

At present the minimum levels of insulation are appalling.
In addition, rainwater harvesting is something else which should be baked into all new builds.

These two alone will make a healthy difference.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

This is a good policy from Labour on 10:20 - May 16 with 3722 viewsCoachRob

One downside is the rare earth minerals required to make solar panels; it creates places like Baotou Lake.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150402-the-worst-place-on-earth
This is a good policy from Labour on 10:25 - May 16 with 3707 viewsbournemouthblue

Decentralised power pumping power into the national grid is surely a no-brainer. Why build expensive power stations when you can have a decentralised network which allows people to be more self-sufficient?

It is definitely an area the government have been light on because they have been focusing on things like Brexit. I also wonder how much lobbying is done by big business to stop it.

They seem to be keener on fracking which is massively controversial than simply backing things like Solar which appeared to be getting lift off a while back before the government pulled the plug on it.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

This is a good policy from Labour on 10:26 - May 16 with 3702 viewsvilanovablue

The other factor in play here is not just the green aspect, if this were embraced wholeheartedly and perhaps more money were invested it is really sensible infrastructure spending in terms of potential job creation. As for the additional factors rain water harvesting and improved insulation this could potentially also provide the double benefit.
This is a good policy from Labour on 10:29 - May 16 with 3689 viewsNo9

It is a very good idea SB.
IF it were coupled with installing batteries at the same time it would make it an even better idea.

If they used the solar roofing tiles when building new the costs would be reduced.

It is difficult to assess the actual & overall costs because relative to a power station and infrastructure, installing this type of solar power is relatively cheap and there are no expensive decommissioning costs. Presently maintenance & renewal is unquantifiable because costs keep reducing.

If this were coupled with electricity generated from sewage + the new low noise wind turbines many smaller communities could become self sufficient.

But that would go down well with MP's who have specific 'interests'

We should all think it strange that these type of energy for homes was a part of the early house construction in MIlton Keynes in the late 60's but got squashed
This is a good policy from Labour on 10:31 - May 16 with 3684 viewsitfcjoe

This is a good policy from Labour on 10:26 - May 16 by vilanovablue

The other factor in play here is not just the green aspect, if this were embraced wholeheartedly and perhaps more money were invested it is really sensible infrastructure spending in terms of potential job creation. As for the additional factors rain water harvesting and improved insulation this could potentially also provide the double benefit.

I'd be surprised if this didn't decrease energy usage too - I know my Mum always keeps an eye on what is being produced and is much more conscientious about energy usage as likes to use what the solar panels are producing.

I'm sure not everyone would take that approach, but it could smarten some people up if they can see that they are saving money too.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

This is a good policy from Labour on 10:45 - May 16 with 3661 viewsNo9

This is a good policy from Labour on 10:26 - May 16 by vilanovablue

Had we not had the government in the 80's that wehad in power a lot of what you envisage would have been in place.
It was all sacrificed on the alter of 'Privatisation'
This is a good policy from Labour on 12:38 - May 16 with 3613 viewsClapham_Junction

It is a very good policy, and would go some way to undoing the inherent unfairness of the feed-in-tariff.

Whilst the feed-in-tariff was a decent policy and had a very positive effect on the takeup rate of solar panels (at least until the government started messing around with it), it had one huge flaw. As the scheme subsided the electricity produced over many years rather than paying for the installation of the panels up front, it meant it was largely taken up by people with enough money to spend several thousands on the installation. As a result, the overall impact of the scheme was to pay public money to the already well-off, with that money coming from energy taxes that had a greater impact on the least well off (who weren't getting any benefit from it).

(insulation grant schemes have a similar problem as the funds have largely been used to insulate properties with cavity walls, rather than solid walled properties, which are far more expensive to do. However, most of the latter type is home to the least well-off, who have effectively been helping people better off than them get lower bills).
This is a good policy from Labour on 12:48 - May 16 with 3590 viewsJ2BLUE

Not as good as Momentum calling for a four day work week.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/16/momentum-urges-labour-to-adopt-

This would be fantastic. Before anyone starts on about laziness, it would be working the same number of hours across one less day.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

This is a good policy from Labour on 12:49 - May 16 with 3584 viewsStokieBlue

This is a good policy from Labour on 12:48 - May 16 by J2BLUE

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/16/momentum-urges-labour-to-adopt-

This would be fantastic. Before anyone starts on about laziness, it would be working the same number of hours across one less day.

That's not feasible for everyone though given school timings and things like that.

SB

This is a good policy from Labour on 12:53 - May 16 with 3575 viewsJ2BLUE

This is a good policy from Labour on 12:49 - May 16 by StokieBlue

That's not feasible for everyone though given school timings and things like that.

SB

Neither is the current five day system for many people.

Truly impaired.

This is a good policy from Labour on 13:13 - May 16 with 3532 viewsBrixtonBlue

Brilliant idea, and a lot of good ideas to go with it in this thread!

How great to have such a positive political thread with no rowing (yet!) Is this a first for TWTD?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

This is a good policy from Labour on 13:21 - May 16 with 3521 viewschicoazul

This is a good policy from Labour on 12:49 - May 16 by StokieBlue

SB

Thanks to the Olympically-stupid policy decisions of the current & previous Governments, some schools are now moving to a 4 day week. Maybe it's the future.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

This is a good policy from Labour on 13:22 - May 16 with 3514 viewsPinewoodblue

Solar panels are old hat for new builds. http://www.gb-sol.co.uk/products/pvslates/default.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItOzMsYSg

Some local authorities already install panels on their housing stock.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

This is a good policy from Labour on 13:22 - May 16 with 3512 viewschicoazul

This is a good policy from Labour on 12:53 - May 16 by J2BLUE

Neither is the current five day system for many people.

Are you able to explain more about this?

It seems to me, not that youre asking but when has that ever stopped me, but it seems to me that the problem is more to do with the cost of living and the fact that more often than not both parents in a family have to work, than the fact they work 5 days a week.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

This is a good policy from Labour on 13:37 - May 16 with 3487 viewsNo9

This is a good policy from Labour on 12:48 - May 16 by J2BLUE

4 day week isn't new J2, many companies (non UK) have been utilising that for employees, particularly commuters, via flexible working.

Ted Heath had us all on a 3 day week.
This is a good policy from Labour on 13:41 - May 16 with 3480 viewsJ2BLUE

This is a good policy from Labour on 13:37 - May 16 by No9

4 day week isn't new J2, many companies (non UK) have been utilising that for employees, particularly commuters, via flexible working.

Ted Heath had us all on a 3 day week.

I did a 4 day week at my last job.

I'd like to see it become 'official'. We should be looking at changing the established order for the greater good. For example, I find it incredibly refreshing that John McDonnell spoke of wellbeing and health instead of financial profits when talking about UBI (I don't necessarily support UBI).

Truly impaired.

This is a good policy from Labour on 13:44 - May 16 with 3467 viewsSpruceMoose

This is a good policy from Labour on 13:41 - May 16 by J2BLUE

I'd like to see it become 'official'. We should be looking at changing the established order for the greater good. For example, I find it incredibly refreshing that John McDonnell spoke of wellbeing and health instead of financial profits when talking about UBI (I don't necessarily support UBI).

Many places offer flexi time, which when implemented well (and when staff are actually allowed to use it) is a massive help to people.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

This is a good policy from Labour on 14:13 - May 16 with 3398 viewsStokieBlue

It's still not feasible unless you change everything around it.

Literally everything. That's not to say it's a bad thing, it's just not as easy as you are making out.

As Sprucey has pointed out, flexible working already works well.

SB
[Post edited 16 May 2019 14:14]

This is a good policy from Labour on 14:18 - May 16 with 3380 viewsJ2BLUE

This is a good policy from Labour on 14:13 - May 16 by StokieBlue

It's still not feasible unless you change everything around it.

Literally everything. That's not to say it's a bad thing, it's just not as easy as you are making out.

As Sprucey has pointed out, flexible working already works well.

SB
[Post edited 16 May 2019 14:14]

What percentage of companies offer flexible working?

I don't know anyone who has been offered flexible working. In a wide variety of jobs.

Truly impaired.

This is a good policy from Labour on 14:23 - May 16 with 3362 viewsSpruceMoose

This is a good policy from Labour on 14:18 - May 16 by J2BLUE

I don't know anyone who has been offered flexible working. In a wide variety of jobs.

I suppose it is more common in the white collar sectors. I had it when I worked in Local Government, but it was so poorly implemented as to be non existent in reality. It doesn't work for all sectors though obviously.

For office based roles, surely the days of everyone having to travel across town to one location, just to sit together for 8 hours a day, before all going home in separate directions again at the end of the day are numbered? Remote working and flexible office spaces are the future surely. Even leaving aside the environmental aspect of a populations commute, what is an office for a business if not another overhead?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

This is a good policy from Labour on 14:46 - May 16 with 3336 viewsStokieBlue

This is a good policy from Labour on 14:18 - May 16 by J2BLUE

Exactly.

It's entirely dependent on your job and circumstances which is the point I was trying to make originally. It might be fine for you to get 5 days work into 4 days by extending your hours but for many other people that's just not possible with family commitments etc.

That's why making it a law won't work. What should be done is a bigger push for flexible hours and WFH across more roles.

SB
[Post edited 16 May 2019 14:48]

This is a good policy from Labour on 15:45 - May 16 with 3268 viewsNo9

The 4 day week doesn't suit everyone but a lot of commuters like it.
& as it is becoming more prevelent for firms to finish at mid-day on a Friday it is time to look at how people want to work.
Of course in many industries this isn't feasible
Well being & quality of life is becoming more important
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024