Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chernobyl - Sky 10:05 - May 23 with 2714 viewschicoazul

Any boyos watching this? Fantastic programme. It also has a podcast where the writer explains things.
They really really did come very close to poisoning the whole of Asia.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:07 - May 23 with 2018 viewsvilanovablue

Terrifying but totally gripping.
Chernobyl - Sky on 10:08 - May 23 with 2007 viewsKieran_Knows

Been away for the past week, so need to catch up and watch this. Seen/heard good things!

Did get home from holiday last night and started to watch The Hunt for Jihadi John - but that's for another thread!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:10 - May 23 with 2007 viewsSWGF

I was just about to post about it.

It's brilliant; the atmosphere of the whole series is so bleak.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:10 - May 23 with 2007 viewsIpswichKnight

Yes, wife and I have been watching it, didn't know about the podcast will download that as it sounds interesting.

This weeks was horrific, seeing those suffering from radiation sickness and hearing how they would die.
Chernobyl - Sky on 10:11 - May 23 with 2004 viewsGeoffSentence

I had no idea at the time how bad things were. In particular I had no how close they were to a catastrophic thermonuclear explosion, how far the devastation would have spread and even when that threat was averted, the potential for poisoning the water supply for 50M people, forever.

It really is truly horrific, and they don't pull any punches, seeing the poor guys in hospital was probably the most gruesome thing I have seen on TV.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:11 - May 23 with 2000 viewsfooters

I haven't seen it but back in the day we used to have kiddies from that region come to stay with us. They said that for every day they spent here it would add two weeks to their lives. Incredible really.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:11 - May 23 with 2004 viewschicoazul

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:10 - May 23 by SWGF

I was just about to post about it.

It's brilliant; the atmosphere of the whole series is so bleak.

We basically have 3 blokes in diver suits who released the water tanks to thank for not killing over a billion people

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:13 - May 23 with 1986 viewschicoazul

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:11 - May 23 by GeoffSentence

I had no idea at the time how bad things were. In particular I had no how close they were to a catastrophic thermonuclear explosion, how far the devastation would have spread and even when that threat was averted, the potential for poisoning the water supply for 50M people, forever.

It really is truly horrific, and they don't pull any punches, seeing the poor guys in hospital was probably the most gruesome thing I have seen on TV.

It's basically a real life version of Threads.

Login to get fewer ads

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:15 - May 23 with 1982 viewsSteve_M

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:11 - May 23 by chicoazul

We basically have 3 blokes in diver suits who released the water tanks to thank for not killing over a billion people

Them and the firefighters whose efforts to fight the blaze were pretty much suicidal.

I've mentioned it before but make no excuses for doing so again but Serhii Plokhy's recent book is an excellent account of both the disaster and the political context:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36204894-chernobyl

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:17 - May 23 with 1969 viewschicoazul

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:15 - May 23 by Steve_M

Them and the firefighters whose efforts to fight the blaze were pretty much suicidal.

I've mentioned it before but make no excuses for doing so again but Serhii Plokhy's recent book is an excellent account of both the disaster and the political context:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36204894-chernobyl

The bit in the show where the fireman picks up the bit of graphite....or maybe the bit where the people are watching the accident as the dust falls on them.....

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:19 - May 23 with 1957 viewsgiant_stow

Do what?!

Are you exaggerating a bi there is that a real figure?

Wish I had sky now.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:22 - May 23 with 1933 viewschicoazul

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:19 - May 23 by giant_stow

Do what?!

Wish I had sky now.

Basically if they hadn't released the water in the tanks below the reactor, there would have been an enormous nuclear explosion which would have killed many people in and of itself and would have poisoned one of Asia's main water courses. Then you obvs have the fallout from the explosion which would have wafted across Asia and Europe.
They released the water with about a day to spare.

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:23 - May 23 with 1916 viewsgiant_stow

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:22 - May 23 by chicoazul

Basically if they hadn't released the water in the tanks below the reactor, there would have been an enormous nuclear explosion which would have killed many people in and of itself and would have poisoned one of Asia's main water courses. Then you obvs have the fallout from the explosion which would have wafted across Asia and Europe.
They released the water with about a day to spare.

wow.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:24 - May 23 with 1915 viewsIpswichKnight

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:19 - May 23 by giant_stow

Do what?!

Wish I had sky now.

It would have killed most of Kiev in the explosion and made most of Eastern Europe an uninhabitable fall out zone.
Chernobyl - Sky on 10:27 - May 23 with 1904 viewsblue62

Yes loving it, really gripping and bloody terrifying.

Was concerned about the English accents and not Russian ones, but got over that now. And also the fella from Friday Night Dinner, kept thinking he would be wandering around in his undercrackers any time soon.
[Post edited 23 May 2019 13:19]
Chernobyl - Sky on 10:29 - May 23 with 1884 viewsgiant_stow

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:24 - May 23 by IpswichKnight

It would have killed most of Kiev in the explosion and made most of Eastern Europe an uninhabitable fall out zone.

I just had a little google - Kiev seems to be 60 odd miles away. wow again.

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:44 - May 23 with 1827 views26_Paz

Great series, fascinating.
Also, didn't that lead miner used to be the bloke in Eastender who used to beat up little mo? haha

The Paz Man

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:47 - May 23 with 1818 viewsBlue_Order

It’s beautifully bleak.

I love it.
Chernobyl - Sky on 10:53 - May 23 with 1794 viewsSWGF

What about the naked miners?

Hubba hubba

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:56 - May 23 with 1789 viewsartsbossbeard

It's blooming brilliant.

As a young lad at the time, I had no idea whatsoever that the world was so close to a major, catastrophic incident that would have killed Ukraine, Asia & Beyond for centuries.

It's all rather sobering.

Thanks for the book link, Steve M. That's the holiday read sorted.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:56 - May 23 with 1782 viewsSWGF

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:27 - May 23 by blue62

Yes loving it, really gripping and bloody terrifying.

Was concerned about the English accents and not Russian ones, but got over that now. And also the fella from Friday Night Dinner, kept thinking he would be wandering around in his undercrackers any time soon.
[Post edited 23 May 2019 13:19]

He's used to being hot, to be fair.

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:59 - May 23 with 1782 viewsGuthrum

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:11 - May 23 by GeoffSentence

It's impossible to have a nuclear explosion in a reactor. One of the trickiest things about getting an atom bomb to work is keeping things together while at least a proportion of the uncontrolled chain reaction runs its course (even then less than a third of the fuel is used). That's why they use explosive compression, to give the core sufficient inwards momentum that it stays together at sufficient density for long enough. Without that, it blows itself apart too quickly and the chain reaction dissipates.

Those conditions do not exist within a nuclear reactor, where even if the fuel melts together, there is nothing to hold it there. The immediate area would be exposed to a lot of radiation and things would get very hot, but there would be no nuclear explosion (c.f. the two accidents involving the "demon core": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_core ).

In accidents where reactors have blown up (e.g. Chernobyl, SL-1 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SL-1 ), the explosions have been caused by other things (often water/steam).

Point of order - 'thermonuclear' refers specifically to weapons including a fusion element, binding heavy isotopes of hydrogen to make helium (i.e. an H-bomb rather than an A-bomb). The materials/structures for this are not present in a reactor.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:59 - May 23 with 1776 viewschicoazul

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:53 - May 23 by SWGF

What about the naked miners?

Hubba hubba

I'm just glad you didnt type "minors"

Chernobyl - Sky on 11:00 - May 23 with 1775 viewschicoazul

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:59 - May 23 by Guthrum

It's impossible to have a nuclear explosion in a reactor. One of the trickiest things about getting an atom bomb to work is keeping things together while at least a proportion of the uncontrolled chain reaction runs its course (even then less than a third of the fuel is used). That's why they use explosive compression, to give the core sufficient inwards momentum that it stays together at sufficient density for long enough. Without that, it blows itself apart too quickly and the chain reaction dissipates.

Those conditions do not exist within a nuclear reactor, where even if the fuel melts together, there is nothing to hold it there. The immediate area would be exposed to a lot of radiation and things would get very hot, but there would be no nuclear explosion (c.f. the two accidents involving the "demon core": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_core ).

In accidents where reactors have blown up (e.g. Chernobyl, SL-1 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SL-1 ), the explosions have been caused by other things (often water/steam).

Point of order - 'thermonuclear' refers specifically to weapons including a fusion element, binding heavy isotopes of hydrogen to make helium (i.e. an H-bomb rather than an A-bomb). The materials/structures for this are not present in a reactor.

Chernobyl - Sky on 11:02 - May 23 with 1759 viewsartsbossbeard

Chernobyl - Sky on 10:56 - May 23 by SWGF

He's used to being hot, to be fair.

Lovely radioactive squirrel.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024