Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich signings you were most wrong about 19:33 - Jun 1 with 6868 viewsDarth_Koont

I've been wrong about many of them as it's the triumph of hope over experience where I often hope they can be the missing piece.

But probably Priskin for me. He'd been a star performer and prolific goalscorer in the six months before but almost none of that transferred to us.

Another player that I was wrong about but in the other direction was Marcus Stewart. Clearly a good player at Huddersfield but I thought it might have been the wrong move at first and for too much money. He went on to prove me massively and joyously wrong.

Pronouns: He/Him

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 19:40 - Jun 1 with 3982 viewsJETPower

Chopra. And Stuart Slater. But most of all Roy Keane.

And I wasn't too keen on Mark Venus deal for some reason, then became a big fan of his.
Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 19:41 - Jun 1 with 3972 viewsParisBlue

Alan Lee and Shefki Kuqi

I was well chuffed when we signed Tommy Oar.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 19:44 - Jun 1 with 3957 viewswkj

In recent terms, Tommy Oar. I thought he would be a bit of a dynamo, and on his first game I don't think he seemed that bad at all. Needless to say that all went the way of the dinosaurs.

A player that pleasantly surprised me was McGreal. he was always decent during his near decade at Tranmere, but didn't think he was at our level considering our ambition. Needless to say has to go down as one of the most consistent, hard workers we've had in the back line.

I remember the Marcus Stewart signing as being something that baffled me and my school mates. We were in equal parts unsure why we wanted another strike, and why Huddersfield accepted the offer.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 19:57 - Jun 1 with 3899 viewsChurchman

Arnold Muhren. In his early games he looked weak, lightweight, one footed and totally unsuitable for the first division. Got that one right .........not!

Mark Venus: I thought he was rubbish and had an amusing name. Oops! His partner Tony Mowbray I thought was too old and immobile. A waste of a shirt. Hmmm.

Shefki Kuqi - a journeyman who would never be any good for us. Oh dear.
Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 20:07 - Jun 1 with 3872 viewsDarth_Koont

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 19:57 - Jun 1 by Churchman

Arnold Muhren. In his early games he looked weak, lightweight, one footed and totally unsuitable for the first division. Got that one right .........not!

Mark Venus: I thought he was rubbish and had an amusing name. Oops! His partner Tony Mowbray I thought was too old and immobile. A waste of a shirt. Hmmm.

Shefki Kuqi - a journeyman who would never be any good for us. Oh dear.

I remember Shefki being viewed as an appalling signing by the purists many of whom were pretty anti-Royle from day one.

He was skillful enough in his muscular way but his effect on opposition defences was incredible. He must have been an absolute nightmare to play against.

I loved him.

Norwood looks a bit similar.

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 20:13 - Jun 1 with 3847 viewsParisBlue

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 20:07 - Jun 1 by Darth_Koont

I remember Shefki being viewed as an appalling signing by the purists many of whom were pretty anti-Royle from day one.

He was skillful enough in his muscular way but his effect on opposition defences was incredible. He must have been an absolute nightmare to play against.

I loved him.

Joe Royle tried to ship him out to South Korea at the beginning of the 04/05 season IIRC.

Libraries gave us power

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 20:58 - Jun 1 with 3677 viewsChurchman

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 20:07 - Jun 1 by Darth_Koont

I loved him.

And that goal celebration was worth the entrance money alone. He was great for us.
Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 21:04 - Jun 1 with 3626 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Chopra, Lee Chapman, Priskin and Finidi George to name just a few.

Taricco would be the one I was least expecting to be who he became.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 21:04 - Jun 1 with 3626 viewstractordownsouth

I thought Ebanks Blake would fire us to promotion

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 21:06 - Jun 1 with 3620 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

recently - Jackson. Saw the video, got excited, then realised after 3 or 4 matches that his 1st touch was very much League 2. Hope we can offload him soon.

The other way - Kuqi as said above, at first I thought he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. How wrong was that?

Poll: would you rather

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 21:07 - Jun 1 with 3613 viewshorsehollerer

Paul Hurst

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 21:14 - Jun 1 with 3601 viewssuffolkpoker

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 20:58 - Jun 1 by Churchman

And that goal celebration was worth the entrance money alone. He was great for us.

My 3 biggest disappointment:-

1# the lad from Everton with sticky our ears. Short and came on loan first. Small striker
2# Stuart slater
3# Steven gerrard off Hungary (can’t think of name either lol)

My 3 biggest surprises

1# Boncho guentchev
2# cresswell
3# Ian Marshall - thought he wasn’t going to score for us (great striker)

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 21:17 - Jun 1 with 3591 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 21:14 - Jun 1 by suffolkpoker

1# the lad from Everton with sticky our ears. Short and came on loan first. Small striker
2# Stuart slater

My 3 biggest surprises

1# Boncho guentchev
2# cresswell

Your first guy I can't think who you mean but the second was the Macedonian Gerrard - Velice Shumilokoski so if you are as accurate in your description he may not have come from Everton after all.

Marshall had played as a defender for Oldham. I remember seeing his debut and they were all chanting what a waste of money. He scored a hat trick I think.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2019 21:20]

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 21:20 - Jun 1 with 3582 viewssuffolkpoker

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 21:17 - Jun 1 by Nthsuffolkblue

Your first guy I can't think who you mean but the second was the Macedonian Gerrard - Velice Shumilokoski so if you are as accurate in your description he may not have come from Everton after all.

Marshall had played as a defender for Oldham. I remember seeing his debut and they were all chanting what a waste of money. He scored a hat trick I think.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2019 21:20]

Thought of it

Franny Jeffers - I had my whole world on him at one point :(

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 21:20 - Jun 1 with 3578 viewsParisBlue

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 21:14 - Jun 1 by suffolkpoker

2# Stuart slater

My 3 biggest surprises

1# Boncho guentchev
2# cresswell

Francis Jeffers? Never signed permanently for us. Took the money elsewhere.

Libraries gave us power

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 21:21 - Jun 1 with 3569 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 21:20 - Jun 1 by suffolkpoker

Thought of it

Franny Jeffers - I had my whole world on him at one point :(

The fox in the box.

I guess if we never put the ball in the box for him to stick it away it might not have been all his fault.

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 21:22 - Jun 1 with 3571 viewssuffolkpoker

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 21:20 - Jun 1 by ParisBlue

Francis Jeffers? Never signed permanently for us. Took the money elsewhere.

We have a winner!

Oh I thought we did but considering I can’t remember his name,
I’m not betting on that haha

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 21:24 - Jun 1 with 3566 viewssuffolkpoker

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 21:21 - Jun 1 by Nthsuffolkblue

The fox in the box.

I guess if we never put the ball in the box for him to stick it away it might not have been all his fault.

Just seen his stats for us

Scored 4 in 10. Which ain’t as bad as I thought

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 21:29 - Jun 1 with 3538 viewsKropotkin123

Jimmy Bullard.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 22:29 - Jun 1 with 3370 viewsyorkshire

Mark Burchill was a big let down on loan

Signings wise - Stuart Slater was big money for us and didn't justify it - I actually thought Lee Martin might be a good signing but again didn't do it for us

Cresswell - didn't expect him to do very much after some of Jewells other signings - also Jon Walters was a punt that many didn't expect much from
Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 22:38 - Jun 1 with 3343 viewsWeWereZombies

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 21:04 - Jun 1 by tractordownsouth

I thought Ebanks Blake would fire us to promotion

I was keen for Ebanks-Blake to do well for us, mainly because I used to work with his dad who had a bit of an anti-Ipswich thing because of a perceived refereeing injustice when Sylvain played for Plymouth at Portman Road once.

Disappointed that things have not turned around for Jonas Knudsen this season just gone but not really a signing that went wrong, just a player who was wrongly barracked by a section of the support and who seemed not to be able to adapt to a change of manager.

Perhaps the biggest surprise was Gary Roberts who I saw on his home debut and thought was very ordinary but who managed the step up from a lower division quite quickly and went on to have a decent career.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 22:41 - Jun 1 with 3318 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 22:38 - Jun 1 by WeWereZombies

I was keen for Ebanks-Blake to do well for us, mainly because I used to work with his dad who had a bit of an anti-Ipswich thing because of a perceived refereeing injustice when Sylvain played for Plymouth at Portman Road once.

Disappointed that things have not turned around for Jonas Knudsen this season just gone but not really a signing that went wrong, just a player who was wrongly barracked by a section of the support and who seemed not to be able to adapt to a change of manager.

Perhaps the biggest surprise was Gary Roberts who I saw on his home debut and thought was very ordinary but who managed the step up from a lower division quite quickly and went on to have a decent career.

I can’t imagine SEB’s spell hear really endeared us to his dad either!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 22:49 - Jun 1 with 3286 viewsbluejake78

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 19:40 - Jun 1 by JETPower

Chopra. And Stuart Slater. But most of all Roy Keane.

And I wasn't too keen on Mark Venus deal for some reason, then became a big fan of his.

Venus wasn't just a great defender.His use in dead balls was better than any Town player past or present.
I never saw that coming.
Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 22:51 - Jun 1 with 3279 viewsDarth_Koont

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 22:38 - Jun 1 by WeWereZombies

Not sure what went wrong with Ebanks-Blake. He should have been in his prime but he basically tumbled down the leagues and we were one of the steps down.

I'm sure the injuries didn't help.

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 22:55 - Jun 1 with 3252 viewsWeWereZombies

Ipswich signings you were most wrong about on 22:41 - Jun 1 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I can’t imagine SEB’s spell hear really endeared us to his dad either!

I'd moved on from The Junction by then so had lost contact with Maurice but I thought that Mick gave Sylvan (have checked his Wikipedia page and spelled that right this time) good enough support through his injuries so I hope we went up in Dad's estimation.

One thing I was told over our early morning cuppa that turned my opinion of Alex Ferguson through 180 degrees was that on being released by Manchester United Sylvan was called into the manager's office and given a two hour advice talk about what was best for his career. You have to wonder whether such care would have been taken at, say, Chelsea.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2019 7:49]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024