Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Behind the Curve 12:13 - Jun 3 with 1248 viewsHerbivore

I watched an interesting docu-film on Netflix last night with the above title. It was really quite fascinating and an interesting insight into how people become entrenched in fringe or extreme positions and end up becoming utterly impervious to reason or evidence.

Some of the Earthers even carried out their own experiments, which were legit, to prove that the Earth isn't moving and that it has no curvature. The experimentd, unsurprisingly, showed that the Earth is indeed moving at the rate that would be expected by conventional knowledge and that the Earth is curved. They ignored their own evidence and continued to believe that the Earth is flat anyway.

Do we have any Flat Earthers on this board? Most in the docu were American but there were a few Brits too.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Behind the Curve on 12:18 - Jun 3 with 1201 viewsSpruceMoose

The saddest thing in that documentary was the number of kids at their convention. Lives doomed before they've even had a chance.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Behind the Curve on 12:21 - Jun 3 with 1197 viewsStokieBlue

Rather than rewrite my summary of the documentary you can see it here:

Behind the Curve by StokieBlue 2 Apr 2019 22:42
Has anyone watched this on Netflix? It's a documentary about the flat Earth movement so some minor spoilers below.

It's actually pretty good, it does a good job of showing the community spirit and they truly do believe the Earth is flat. There is an awful lot of confirmation bias and Dunning-Kruger effect and it does a good job of showing the growing distrust of experts, science and government agencies. My overall feeling was one of sadness. They are clearly wrong, there is no doubt about that but the fact they believe it so resolutely and pass on that belief to others is a worrying sign of the way the world is going in the social media age.

The scientists interviewed did a good job of showing how the movement needs to be engaged with constructively but also how it can be very dangerous. Distrust of science spreads to other areas with sometimes harmful effects.

My favourite parts were the flat-Earthers who want to use science to prove the Earth is flat. They devised two experiments. One was to calculate the rotation of the Earth over an hour and to do this someone bought them a 20k laser-gyro. They expected it to come back at 0 degrees as they believe it's not rotating but it always came back at 15 degrees (360/24) regardless how they tried to skew the experiment. The second experiment was to use a light over a specified distance. If the Earth was flat it should be seen at 17 feet from both locations, if it's curved it would need to be higher at the second location. Unsurprisingly it was 23+ feet at the second location. They declared the result interesting and went back to designing a different experiment to prove the Earth was flat rather than accepting that their own experiments had disproven their theory.

I was also a bit perplexed about the whole dome theory. Some of them believe that the Earth is covered in dome onto which projection of the heavens is beamed like a planetarium. This could clearly not form via any natural laws so would have to have been designed and constructed but they didn't get into that or whom may have built it. Any ideas?

Overall a decent watch and you do get a sense of their perspective although for me the main thing was a sense of sadness that so many people can be taken in by something so demonstrably incorrect due to a distrust of experts and science.

SB

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Behind the Curve on 12:30 - Jun 3 with 1162 viewsfactual_blue

The standard reply of 'balls' seems curiously inappropriate here.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Behind the Curve on 12:31 - Jun 3 with 1156 viewsfactual_blue

Behind the Curve on 12:18 - Jun 3 by SpruceMoose

The saddest thing in that documentary was the number of kids at their convention. Lives doomed before they've even had a chance.

'Lives doomed before they've even had a chance.'

Or 'Americans' as we say on this side of the Atlantic.

Behind the Curve on 12:33 - Jun 3 with 1147 viewsGuthrum

Behind the Curve on 12:21 - Jun 3 by StokieBlue

Has anyone watched this on Netflix? It's a documentary about the flat Earth movement so some minor spoilers below.

It's actually pretty good, it does a good job of showing the community spirit and they truly do believe the Earth is flat. There is an awful lot of confirmation bias and Dunning-Kruger effect and it does a good job of showing the growing distrust of experts, science and government agencies. My overall feeling was one of sadness. They are clearly wrong, there is no doubt about that but the fact they believe it so resolutely and pass on that belief to others is a worrying sign of the way the world is going in the social media age.

The scientists interviewed did a good job of showing how the movement needs to be engaged with constructively but also how it can be very dangerous. Distrust of science spreads to other areas with sometimes harmful effects.

My favourite parts were the flat-Earthers who want to use science to prove the Earth is flat. They devised two experiments. One was to calculate the rotation of the Earth over an hour and to do this someone bought them a 20k laser-gyro. They expected it to come back at 0 degrees as they believe it's not rotating but it always came back at 15 degrees (360/24) regardless how they tried to skew the experiment. The second experiment was to use a light over a specified distance. If the Earth was flat it should be seen at 17 feet from both locations, if it's curved it would need to be higher at the second location. Unsurprisingly it was 23+ feet at the second location. They declared the result interesting and went back to designing a different experiment to prove the Earth was flat rather than accepting that their own experiments had disproven their theory.

I was also a bit perplexed about the whole dome theory. Some of them believe that the Earth is covered in dome onto which projection of the heavens is beamed like a planetarium. This could clearly not form via any natural laws so would have to have been designed and constructed but they didn't get into that or whom may have built it. Any ideas?

Overall a decent watch and you do get a sense of their perspective although for me the main thing was a sense of sadness that so many people can be taken in by something so demonstrably incorrect due to a distrust of experts and science.

SB

SB

The explanation of gravity I heard is that the Earth Disk is being accelerated upwards at 9.81 metres per second squared, thus providing the same effect. However, if that were the case, it would reach the speed of light in under a year (353.7 days). Which would have all sorts of interesting effects.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Behind the Curve on 12:36 - Jun 3 with 1133 viewslowhouseblue

Behind the Curve on 12:33 - Jun 3 by Guthrum

The explanation of gravity I heard is that the Earth Disk is being accelerated upwards at 9.81 metres per second squared, thus providing the same effect. However, if that were the case, it would reach the speed of light in under a year (353.7 days). Which would have all sorts of interesting effects.

but perhaps it slows down again when we're all asleep?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Behind the Curve on 12:43 - Jun 3 with 1106 viewsGuthrum

Behind the Curve on 12:36 - Jun 3 by lowhouseblue

but perhaps it slows down again when we're all asleep?

Might explain flying dreams.

Behind the Curve on 12:44 - Jun 3 with 1102 viewslowhouseblue

Behind the Curve on 12:43 - Jun 3 by Guthrum

Might explain flying dreams.

and that feeling of falling just as you're going to sleep. this might be the evidence they're looking for.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Login to get fewer ads

Behind the Curve on 12:47 - Jun 3 with 1076 viewsGuthrum

Behind the Curve on 12:44 - Jun 3 by lowhouseblue

and that feeling of falling just as you're going to sleep. this might be the evidence they're looking for.

Tho how come night shift workers (and students) have never noticed? Maybe they're in on the conspiracy?

Behind the Curve on 13:02 - Jun 3 with 1041 viewsSpruceMoose

Behind the Curve on 12:31 - Jun 3 by factual_blue

'Lives doomed before they've even had a chance.'

Or 'Americans' as we say on this side of the Atlantic.

Um... You've seen Britain lately I presume!?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Behind the Curve on 13:22 - Jun 3 with 998 viewsfactual_blue

Behind the Curve on 13:02 - Jun 3 by SpruceMoose

Um... You've seen Britain lately I presume!?

Sadly, yes.

Do you know where I can buy a large calibre machine gun?

Behind the Curve on 13:22 - Jun 3 with 996 viewsJ2BLUE

Behind the Curve on 12:33 - Jun 3 by Guthrum

I love the way they say gravity is a theory and then their theories are even more batsh1t mental.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Behind the Curve on 13:29 - Jun 3 with 973 viewsMalcolmBlue

I'm starting to warm to the idea that the globe is flat actually

Poll: Is Theresa May the "Paul Hurst" of politics?

Behind the Curve on 13:34 - Jun 3 with 964 viewsHerbivore

Behind the Curve on 12:21 - Jun 3 by StokieBlue

SB

SB

Hadn't seen your thread Stoke, apologies.

Some of it was really quite sad. The main guy though, Mark Sargent, just seemed like a narcissist. I liked how he claimed that people recognise him, when actually it's far more likely they've clocked that he's wearing a t-shirt saying "I'm Mark Sargent". I don't think he even really believes in it if I'm honest, he's just found something he can make money from in his bedroom. Some of the others seemed genuinely unwell and some were just lonely and on the fringes of society.

I think what it highlighted is that whilst it's all well and good to say that we need to engage with them, on what level is that possible? We can't engage on evidence, since their own evidence disproves their theory and yet they've not rejected the theory. It almost needs some sort of deprogramming and a reintroduction into mainstream society, but that's expensive and requires them to want to change.

Behind the Curve on 13:48 - Jun 3 with 935 viewsStokieBlue

Behind the Curve on 13:34 - Jun 3 by Herbivore

Hadn't seen your thread Stoke, apologies.

Some of it was really quite sad. The main guy though, Mark Sargent, just seemed like a narcissist. I liked how he claimed that people recognise him, when actually it's far more likely they've clocked that he's wearing a t-shirt saying "I'm Mark Sargent". I don't think he even really believes in it if I'm honest, he's just found something he can make money from in his bedroom. Some of the others seemed genuinely unwell and some were just lonely and on the fringes of society.

I think what it highlighted is that whilst it's all well and good to say that we need to engage with them, on what level is that possible? We can't engage on evidence, since their own evidence disproves their theory and yet they've not rejected the theory. It almost needs some sort of deprogramming and a reintroduction into mainstream society, but that's expensive and requires them to want to change.

No worries, it was from quite a time ago, just easier for me to link to that than remember by thoughts from the time.

Totally agree on Marc Sargent - he has seen an opportunity to be "important" and has seized on it.

I tend to agree on the last paragraph, they literally disproved their own theories and confirmed the scientific consensus yet it wasn't enough. Unfortunately the internet tends to make it easier to indoctrinate vulnerable people into such things as this. There is no obviously solution that I can think of.

Perhaps including sceptical thinking and analysis in the curriculum might help, at least that gives youngsters a chance to sort through the nonsense.

SB
[Post edited 3 Jun 2019 13:54]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Behind the Curve on 13:58 - Jun 3 with 915 viewsHerbivore

Behind the Curve on 13:29 - Jun 3 by MalcolmBlue

A flat globe is an oxymoron. Please expand on your thinking though, I'd be interested to hear where you're coming from.

Behind the Curve on 13:59 - Jun 3 with 913 viewsBlueBadger

Behind the Curve on 13:29 - Jun 3 by MalcolmBlue

Who'd have thought someone called 'Malcolm' on TWTD would be open to mad ideas?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Behind the Curve on 14:25 - Jun 3 with 872 viewsnoggin

Apparently someone laid a spirit level on Bentley Green and the world is indeed flat. End of.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Behind the Curve on 14:41 - Jun 3 with 847 viewsIpswichKnight

Behind the Curve on 13:48 - Jun 3 by StokieBlue

No worries, it was from quite a time ago, just easier for me to link to that than remember by thoughts from the time.

Totally agree on Marc Sargent - he has seen an opportunity to be "important" and has seized on it.

I tend to agree on the last paragraph, they literally disproved their own theories and confirmed the scientific consensus yet it wasn't enough. Unfortunately the internet tends to make it easier to indoctrinate vulnerable people into such things as this. There is no obviously solution that I can think of.

Perhaps including sceptical thinking and analysis in the curriculum might help, at least that gives youngsters a chance to sort through the nonsense.

SB
[Post edited 3 Jun 2019 13:54]

I felt most of them on that programme were looking for a sense of belonging to something rather than being proper flat earthers.
Behind the Curve on 15:17 - Jun 3 with 799 viewsfactual_blue

Behind the Curve on 13:59 - Jun 3 by BlueBadger

Who'd have thought someone called 'Malcolm' on TWTD would be open to mad ideas?

Quite so Malcolm.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024