Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why is there so little actual news now? 15:36 - Jun 6 with 3716 viewsJ2BLUE

It seems that in my lifetime we have gone from actual news in newspapers to utter garbage. At least 3/5 stories on the news widget on my iphone are about Love Island, things that someone said on Twitter or total rubbish like 'Woman rolls her eyes at Farage and gets called a hero' and 'Camilla winks behind Trump and the internet loses its mind'. What the hell? I tried changing the settings so I only got actual news or interesting stuff about science and technology. I took the time to actually opt out of Love Island news and the trash websites. Today I look and I have a news feed with Heat Magazine articles on Love Island etc. I have now deleted the news app entirely as i'm sick of it.

What is wrong with people that we need 24 hour updates on something so tedious and mind rotting? Why do we need to see actual articles on something some attention seeking div said on Twitter?

Rant over

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:48 - Jun 6 with 1897 viewsClapham_Junction

I'd highly recommend the book Flat Earth News. It's over a decade old now, but highlighted exactly these problems and the root causes.
Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:48 - Jun 6 with 1898 viewsfooters

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:37 - Jun 6 by J2BLUE

Are you really falling for that?

Iphone news app is supposed to give you a mix if news. You can, allegedly, opt out of the sh1te but I tried that and it didn't work so I deleted it.

Just a joke, J2. You've become very serious recently if you don't mind me saying so.

If it's just my japery that annoys you I shall avoid replying to you in future, in the spirit of what has been discussed over the last few days.

I don't mean to annoy or upset you.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:55 - Jun 6 with 1881 viewsJ2BLUE

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:48 - Jun 6 by footers

Just a joke, J2. You've become very serious recently if you don't mind me saying so.

If it's just my japery that annoys you I shall avoid replying to you in future, in the spirit of what has been discussed over the last few days.

I don't mean to annoy or upset you.

I think I come across serious when often i'm not. I try and use emojis when I remember to make that clear.

Truly impaired.

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:59 - Jun 6 with 1873 viewsfooters

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:55 - Jun 6 by J2BLUE

I think I come across serious when often i'm not. I try and use emojis when I remember to make that clear.

Ahh, I see. Thought I might have upset you. I know people can see me as being over-affectionate at times...

Please keep up with the emojis. I actually like the TWTD ones more than most others!

Why is there so little actual news now? on 17:05 - Jun 6 with 1863 viewsDarth_Koont

Just to add this as well. The UK has the least trusted press in Western Europe. And I'm guessing it's not because they're asking the tough questions, quite the opposite.

Pronouns: He/Him

Why is there so little actual news now? on 17:07 - Jun 6 with 1857 viewsJ2BLUE

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:59 - Jun 6 by footers

Ahh, I see. Thought I might have upset you. I know people can see me as being over-affectionate at times...

Please keep up with the emojis. I actually like the TWTD ones more than most others!

A joke about Heat magazine isn't going to upset me

Truly impaired.

Why is there so little actual news now? on 17:14 - Jun 6 with 1839 viewsfooters

Why is there so little actual news now? on 17:07 - Jun 6 by J2BLUE

A joke about Heat magazine isn't going to upset me

Reading Heat magazine definitely will.

Why is there so little actual news now? on 17:25 - Jun 6 with 1817 viewsunstableblue

I had the misfortune of picking up The Sun today... I had forgotten how gutter press is it...

Its so dated...

And yet no doubt it's had a big influence on the mess we find ourselves in today with this political turmoil.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Login to get fewer ads

Why is there so little actual news now? on 17:33 - Jun 6 with 1805 viewsJ2BLUE

Why is there so little actual news now? on 17:14 - Jun 6 by footers

Reading Heat magazine definitely will.

Ha, definitely. The celebrity obsessed culture we have now deeply depresses me.

Truly impaired.

Why is there so little actual news now? on 17:34 - Jun 6 with 1800 viewsSpruceMoose

Why is there so little actual news now? on 17:33 - Jun 6 by J2BLUE

Ha, definitely. The celebrity obsessed culture we have now deeply depresses me.

It's never been any different. The only thing that has changed is the ease at which people access information.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Why is there so little actual news now? on 17:46 - Jun 6 with 1783 viewsJ2BLUE

Why is there so little actual news now? on 17:34 - Jun 6 by SpruceMoose

It's never been any different. The only thing that has changed is the ease at which people access information.

True. Probably explains who I despise social media

Truly impaired.

Why is there so little actual news now? on 17:49 - Jun 6 with 1779 viewsSpruceMoose

Why is there so little actual news now? on 17:46 - Jun 6 by J2BLUE

Maybe these anti vaxxers are right. Bring back a few serious diseases for us plump westerners to worry about. Instead of farting around online we can start worrying about our survival again.

Don't worry though J2, you'll have the last laugh. Global Heating will disrupt everything soon enough. Hard to worry abut Love Island when you're making a raft out of the stiff dead bodies of your relatives.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Why is there so little actual news now? on 18:00 - Jun 6 with 1768 viewsDarth_Koont

Overall, I agree. Although with our traditional and supposedly professional media, social media is an absolute must to find the real information.

Why is there so little actual news now? on 18:07 - Jun 6 with 1761 viewsSwansea_Blue

Why is there so little actual news now? on 17:05 - Jun 6 by Darth_Koont

Just to add this as well. The UK has the least trusted press in Western Europe. And I'm guessing it's not because they're asking the tough questions, quite the opposite.

Just shows how gullible the Dutch and Fins are

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Why is there so little actual news now? on 18:13 - Jun 6 with 1751 viewsSwansea_Blue

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:27 - Jun 6 by WarkTheWarkITFC

My analogy for you ladies and gents.

News is now revenue driven, so real news is replaced by popular culture and sensationalist, misleading headlines to drive clickbait, which means that there is more of this drivel and less real news to casually stumble upon. Thinkers have to work harder to find real news and idiots can easily access this stuff, which they gobble up, meaning more of it is produced, which converts a small population of those on the boundary between the two and so it continues until it worsens and worsens.

It's like ladies peeing in a public toilet.

When they do so they don't like to sit on the seat because of whatever has gone on before, so they hover to do their thing, which in part creates the situation which they were hoping to avoid themselves, meaning the next girl up is even more likely to hover and more likely to then worsen the situation for the next one and so on. If none of them did so the problem wouldn't exist, but like this format of the 'news' it does.

Bottom line?

Modern media = taking the p*ss

Real news is like ladies peeing in a public toilet?

You’re Swiss Tony and I claim my Portman Pie voucher.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Why is there so little actual news now? on 18:14 - Jun 6 with 1750 viewsDarth_Koont

Why is there so little actual news now? on 18:07 - Jun 6 by Swansea_Blue

Just shows how gullible the Dutch and Fins are

Hehe. From left to right that's also a ranking of nationalities I'd expect to know what was going on and be honest about it. The Dutch and the Finns are pretty direct and don't put up with sh!t.

Why is there so little actual news now? on 20:54 - Jun 6 with 1706 viewsBluerunner

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:20 - Jun 6 by Marshalls_Mullet

Sounds like you could be at fault for using Apps with news alerts / feeds.

Choose a couple of websites that you respect and stick to them.

If you let the news find you, then you will get a lot of crap. If you go and find the news, you'll probably get less crap.

Well you could do both.

You choose the websites (or even a named writer within a website) that you want to follow. Then put the URL into a newsreader and it brings those articles to you. I do this with TWTD main articles and many other sites.

I used to use Google Reader but that closed down in 2013. I now use Newsblur which is pretty good and free! It synchronises across devices so what is read on one device does not appear on another.

The standard of journalism now is very poor. Brexit is a good example. The journalists know nothing about how the EU operates and so have no hope of holding the politicians to account. I was learning about Article 50 over six years ago before it had been mentioned in the main media. That is purely because I had discovered a blogger who knew what he was talking about. In fact I have followed him for 15 years and never been let down.

My most recent discovery is an American who understands how Trump operates and what forces he faces. But of course that is not popular so I'll drop it. However you'll miss the best thriller ever!

I haven't bought a newspaper in years and stopped listening to BBC news in the eighties.
Why is there so little actual news now? on 21:01 - Jun 6 with 1703 viewsfooters

Why is there so little actual news now? on 20:54 - Jun 6 by Bluerunner

Well you could do both.

You choose the websites (or even a named writer within a website) that you want to follow. Then put the URL into a newsreader and it brings those articles to you. I do this with TWTD main articles and many other sites.

I used to use Google Reader but that closed down in 2013. I now use Newsblur which is pretty good and free! It synchronises across devices so what is read on one device does not appear on another.

The standard of journalism now is very poor. Brexit is a good example. The journalists know nothing about how the EU operates and so have no hope of holding the politicians to account. I was learning about Article 50 over six years ago before it had been mentioned in the main media. That is purely because I had discovered a blogger who knew what he was talking about. In fact I have followed him for 15 years and never been let down.

My most recent discovery is an American who understands how Trump operates and what forces he faces. But of course that is not popular so I'll drop it. However you'll miss the best thriller ever!

I haven't bought a newspaper in years and stopped listening to BBC news in the eighties.

Could you share these enlightening sources of information with us? Feel free to post publicly or PM me the details? Genuinely curious.

Cheers

Why is there so little actual news now? on 07:50 - Jun 7 with 1642 viewsfooters

Why is there so little actual news now? on 21:01 - Jun 6 by footers

Could you share these enlightening sources of information with us? Feel free to post publicly or PM me the details? Genuinely curious.

Cheers

Still no answer to this, hmm. Still interested in these alternative news sources if you'd care to share.

But not really sure what you're at on a Towen forum when literally every post you've made is about Trump/Brexit/anti-BBC.

Oh wait, hang on, my mistake- there is one post that's not about any of those things. There's one about the durian fruit.

Why is there so little actual news now? on 08:04 - Jun 7 with 1633 viewsWeWereZombies

Isn't TWTD social media?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Why is there so little actual news now? on 08:06 - Jun 7 with 1633 viewsBigManBlue

Personally subscribe to the FT (the online site is very good as well), for all the many good reasons others have suggested. It's a little pricey but if it lets them fund actual journalism the it's worth every penny.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024