Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Before everyone says it's only 14:45 - Jul 14 with 3615 viewsIpswich24

Preseason, it is very concerning the way we are conceding easy goals through defensive errors and still trying to play out from the back and getting caught regularly. We are so poor at the back, I can see us getting bullied in league 1. We are in serious need of a James Collins, Matt Elliott type of commanding centre half. This is not an overreaction just big concern I and many others will have

Poll: Who would you like to be manager out of these?

Before everyone says it's only on 14:48 - Jul 14 with 3590 viewsJ2BLUE

Hopefully our first 11 will be more solid as it seems these teams are mixed at the moment. Agree though, i'll be very disappointed if we don't get another CB. It's definitely an area of weakness.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Before everyone says it's only on 14:50 - Jul 14 with 3559 viewsbilllm

We have the capability of winning this league, we also have the capability of finishing mid table if that dire defence of the last 2 seasons is not addressed and quickly
Before everyone says it's only on 14:53 - Jul 14 with 3545 viewsMullet

Before everyone says it's only on 14:50 - Jul 14 by billlm

We have the capability of winning this league, we also have the capability of finishing mid table if that dire defence of the last 2 seasons is not addressed and quickly

I know it felt like it, but it was only last season not two.

It’s very strange that Lambert has gone back to this, but Villa fans warned me before the game at their place he often did it, got beaten a lot, abandoned it, waited a bit and tried it again.

If Lambert hasn’t spent the months he’s had since arriving figuring out that defence he really isn’t the man for the job. We’ll see in August what he’s managed.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Before everyone says it's only on 14:58 - Jul 14 with 3497 viewsbilllm

Before everyone says it's only on 14:53 - Jul 14 by Mullet

I know it felt like it, but it was only last season not two.

It’s very strange that Lambert has gone back to this, but Villa fans warned me before the game at their place he often did it, got beaten a lot, abandoned it, waited a bit and tried it again.

If Lambert hasn’t spent the months he’s had since arriving figuring out that defence he really isn’t the man for the job. We’ll see in August what he’s managed.

He does talk the talk, he now needs to walk the walk, my friends and I think he like other managers has had his time
Before everyone says it's only on 14:58 - Jul 14 with 3483 viewsbilllm

Before everyone says it's only on 14:58 - Jul 14 by billlm

He does talk the talk, he now needs to walk the walk, my friends and I think he like other managers has had his time

I hope I'm wrong,
Before everyone says it's only on 15:06 - Jul 14 with 3441 viewsGuthrum

We got caught out by a Bundesliga team, not a bunch from League One. How many of the latter will have the speed and sharpness to do likewise?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Before everyone says it's only on 15:06 - Jul 14 with 3435 viewsBobbychase

It's only pre-season

Oh, sorry.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Before everyone says it's only on 15:07 - Jul 14 with 3434 viewsBobbychase

Before everyone says it's only on 15:06 - Jul 14 by Guthrum

We got caught out by a Bundesliga team, not a bunch from League One. How many of the latter will have the speed and sharpness to do likewise?

None?

Also, people seem to be missing the point that we are putting out two different teams for each game with a mixture of youth and experience. Different story when you are picking one 11 using all your strongest players

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Login to get fewer ads

Before everyone says it's only on 15:31 - Jul 14 with 3347 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Before everyone says it's only on 15:07 - Jul 14 by Bobbychase

None?

Also, people seem to be missing the point that we are putting out two different teams for each game with a mixture of youth and experience. Different story when you are picking one 11 using all your strongest players

Exactly, and as L1 team our depth is considerably more limited then a mid table top div German side.

4-1 in 45 is a little concerning but this really is an exercise in fitness and team bonding this week. Way too early to make any judgements at all.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Before everyone says it's only on 15:33 - Jul 14 with 3334 viewsBlueBadger

Never mind that, did we at least tap it around ineffectually for 20 minutes before losing?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Before everyone says it's only on 16:08 - Jul 14 with 3226 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Before everyone says it's only on 15:06 - Jul 14 by Guthrum

Yes but the poor defence isn't the new problem for us. It's been the one for years.
Before everyone says it's only on 16:50 - Jul 14 with 3120 viewsfooters

Before everyone says it's only on 16:08 - Jul 14 by Mach_foreignBlue

Yes but the poor defence isn't the new problem for us. It's been the one for years.

Not apropos of anything really, mere interest, did you have a team back home, Mach? How come you ended up supporting us?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Before everyone says it's only on 17:02 - Jul 14 with 3051 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Before everyone says it's only on 16:50 - Jul 14 by footers

Not apropos of anything really, mere interest, did you have a team back home, Mach? How come you ended up supporting us?

Priv
Before everyone says it's only on 17:06 - Jul 14 with 3030 viewsKeaneish

We've conceded 7 in two games with Nsiala and Wolfenden playing centre half. Burton will be interesting...

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Before everyone says it's only on 18:00 - Jul 14 with 2874 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Before everyone says it's only on 16:08 - Jul 14 by Mach_foreignBlue

We are poor at the back

Technically not good enough to play out creating pressure and losing the ball in dangerous area - easier to score from
Before everyone says it's only on 18:20 - Jul 14 with 2823 viewsKeaneish

Before everyone says it's only on 18:00 - Jul 14 by BtreeBlueBlood

We are poor at the back

Technically not good enough to play out creating pressure and losing the ball in dangerous area - easier to score from

This is the main concern that Mullet referred to. I'm happy playing out from the back if we have the personnel , the confidence and the tactical nouse to do it with pace and precision. I don't see Nsiala as being the type of centre half to do this without making cataclysmic errors and wouldn't say Chambers is a natural either...

High-pressing undid us so many times last year as we were reluctant to go long or play it into space. There's a balance to be had. 3-weeks to find it...

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Before everyone says it's only on 20:01 - Jul 14 with 2694 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Before everyone says it's only on 18:00 - Jul 14 by BtreeBlueBlood

We are poor at the back

As I've said it's been the big problem for years and no manager has improved us in this area. Bialkowski having won POTY year after year was no coincidence.

Even in that 'glorious' play-off season the game against Blackburn on the last day and manner in which we'd concede all three goals.

Another example. Last seasons game against Bristol City at home and ridiculous 2-3 defeat, calamitious mistakes despite having had ... all these 'lovable' proper blokes in the defence.

Now with no money to spend to add a much needed quality I can't really grasp why some people reckon that we're gonna compete for promotion.
Before everyone says it's only on 20:08 - Jul 14 with 2677 viewsPrideOfTheEast

You can read a lot into preseason. Results perhaps not but everything else, yes.

The defence was awful for the vast majority of last season. It’s since weakened - I’d say keeping it down to 4 in the first game is quite an achievement with that in mind.

We struggled to create chances last year in most games. Again, that issue hasn’t been addressed so to get a goal is impressive.

We have a few decent players but no “team” as far as I can see. So for all the talk we have not addressed the issues that needed to be addressed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024