Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... 16:20 - Sep 20 with 2320 viewsconnorscontract

Over the last 48 hours the story has grown that a member of the US Intelligence Agency listening in to a call between Trump and an un-named foreign leader heard him make promises, which is illegal, and blew the whistle on him to Congress, who are investigating.

Now the BBC is reporting that the call was to the leader of the Ukraine and Trump promised him more US military protection through NATO...

...in exchange for the Ukraine digging some dirt on Joe Biden (leading the race to be the Democratic Parties Presidential candidate against Trump) and his son, Hunter.

Ummm... Game Over, surely?
The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 16:23 - Sep 20 with 2276 viewsBigManBlue

Nah, the guy's invulnerable to this stuff. If people have excused and/or normalised all the awful/dodgy stuff he's done up to now, I honestly can't see one single thing that tips the balance to getting enough condemnation to throw him out.

#4moreyears

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 16:25 - Sep 20 with 2266 viewsSpruceMoose

Nah. Not game over. The Republicans are a cult at this point. In fact there's some doubt that there would be a peaceful power transition should he be voted out next year. Imagine the carnage if he was forcibly removed.

It'll be more of the same. Deny, deny, deny, smear, smear, smear until the media moves on. It's already underway.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 16:30 - Sep 20 with 2240 viewsBigManBlue

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 16:25 - Sep 20 by SpruceMoose

Nah. Not game over. The Republicans are a cult at this point. In fact there's some doubt that there would be a peaceful power transition should he be voted out next year. Imagine the carnage if he was forcibly removed.

It'll be more of the same. Deny, deny, deny, smear, smear, smear until the media moves on. It's already underway.

Not heard that one (about the potential for a messy transition). That'd be... quite something. It's pretty shocking that people are so desensitized that we're even at the stage where it's being talked about, to be honest.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 16:30 - Sep 20 with 2237 viewsconnorscontract

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 16:23 - Sep 20 by BigManBlue

Nah, the guy's invulnerable to this stuff. If people have excused and/or normalised all the awful/dodgy stuff he's done up to now, I honestly can't see one single thing that tips the balance to getting enough condemnation to throw him out.

#4moreyears

If this is on tape* then Congress will get to hear it. Even the most Right-wing Republican Senators and Representatives would not be able to defend this, and many of the more old school Republicans, who Trump has knifed over the past three or four years, would welcome the opportunity for a clean kill and an opportunity to return to the kind of politics with which they are more comfortable.

*do they still tape stuff? I shouldn't think so. "Recorded to a Solid State Drive" doesn't have the same ring to it, though, does it?
The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 16:40 - Sep 20 with 2183 viewsgiant_stow

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 16:30 - Sep 20 by BigManBlue

Not heard that one (about the potential for a messy transition). That'd be... quite something. It's pretty shocking that people are so desensitized that we're even at the stage where it's being talked about, to be honest.

Same here - got a link Spruce sir? Sounds like juicy stuff.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 16:54 - Sep 20 with 2139 viewsmanchego

There is no 'game over' for anyone for anything.
There used to be.
There is so much material which, in the past would be 'game over' in the UK and the US that people are immune to it.

I don't understand the world.
The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 17:21 - Sep 20 with 2086 viewsconnorscontract

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 16:54 - Sep 20 by manchego

There is no 'game over' for anyone for anything.
There used to be.
There is so much material which, in the past would be 'game over' in the UK and the US that people are immune to it.

I don't understand the world.

Me neither.

But I think the Republican establishment may consider it time to pull the plug.
The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 17:27 - Sep 20 with 2075 viewsmanchego

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 17:21 - Sep 20 by connorscontract

Me neither.

winning in 2020 is everything so they have a decision to make.
addled racist bigot who is deteriorating or new guy.
Login to get fewer ads

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 17:29 - Sep 20 with 2058 viewsfactual_blue

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 16:25 - Sep 20 by SpruceMoose

They're rather like boris and cummings - a bunch of cults.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 17:29 - Sep 20 with 2062 viewsSpruceMoose

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 17:21 - Sep 20 by connorscontract

Me neither.

The Republican establishment are compromised. They've long missed the turn off where they could pull out. They've gone all in with their man now.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2019 18:04]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 18:03 - Sep 20 with 2014 viewsyorkshire

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 17:29 - Sep 20 by SpruceMoose

The Republican establishment are compromised. They've long missed the turn off where they could pull out. They've gone all in with their man now.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2019 18:04]

Exactly - the Republican Party as a whole sees Trump as a vehicle for conservatism - just as the Evangelical's use him to promote their Christian Values even though he doesn't live by them himself

Nothing he says or does between now and next year will change that - he could literally shoot someone dead and they would excuse it

The Dems just have to be sensible - elect a moderate candidate - like Biden and let the voters in the middle ground get sick of all of the Trump BS

As has been alluded to above, Trump himself has been making various comments about him serving longer than he is allowed so I think he will do all he can to fight the result if it is close -the 2020 election will go down in history as a spectacular one for sure - one way or another
The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 18:12 - Sep 20 with 1977 viewsSpruceMoose

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 18:03 - Sep 20 by yorkshire

Exactly - the Republican Party as a whole sees Trump as a vehicle for conservatism - just as the Evangelical's use him to promote their Christian Values even though he doesn't live by them himself

Nothing he says or does between now and next year will change that - he could literally shoot someone dead and they would excuse it

The Dems just have to be sensible - elect a moderate candidate - like Biden and let the voters in the middle ground get sick of all of the Trump BS

As has been alluded to above, Trump himself has been making various comments about him serving longer than he is allowed so I think he will do all he can to fight the result if it is close -the 2020 election will go down in history as a spectacular one for sure - one way or another

Having watched Biden in the Democratic debates I would be deeply worried about him winning the nomination. His debate performances have been woeful, he's struggled to get a coherent message out (and at times struggled to get a coherent sentence out) and Trump would utterly destroy him in that arena.

At this point I doubt Trump is winning many new supporters so his whole campaign will rest on getting the people who voted for him last time round to turn out again, and that means more of the same shameful, hateful stuff, this time probably taken even further.

I also worry that while Biden may win support from the moderates in the middle ground, he would be an actually turn off for the young, much more left wing voter. That being said, Biden enjoys really strong support from the African American demographic, something which up to now Warren and Sanders are lacking.

His ground game in Iowa has also been mediocre, and who gets off to a flyer there can really set the tone of the future primaries.

Personally, I would like to see a ticket headed up by Warren with a more middle of the road Democrat as Vice President. I think that would be a sweet spot. I like Warren because she is offering a real, genuine paradigm shift, she's smart, capable, prepared, experienced and likable. For Warren to win the nomination though she will need to start to pick up her support numbers among minorities, and if that is achievable remains to be seen.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2019 18:14]

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 18:19 - Sep 20 with 1943 viewsyorkshire

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 18:12 - Sep 20 by SpruceMoose

Having watched Biden in the Democratic debates I would be deeply worried about him winning the nomination. His debate performances have been woeful, he's struggled to get a coherent message out (and at times struggled to get a coherent sentence out) and Trump would utterly destroy him in that arena.

At this point I doubt Trump is winning many new supporters so his whole campaign will rest on getting the people who voted for him last time round to turn out again, and that means more of the same shameful, hateful stuff, this time probably taken even further.

I also worry that while Biden may win support from the moderates in the middle ground, he would be an actually turn off for the young, much more left wing voter. That being said, Biden enjoys really strong support from the African American demographic, something which up to now Warren and Sanders are lacking.

His ground game in Iowa has also been mediocre, and who gets off to a flyer there can really set the tone of the future primaries.

Personally, I would like to see a ticket headed up by Warren with a more middle of the road Democrat as Vice President. I think that would be a sweet spot. I like Warren because she is offering a real, genuine paradigm shift, she's smart, capable, prepared, experienced and likable. For Warren to win the nomination though she will need to start to pick up her support numbers among minorities, and if that is achievable remains to be seen.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2019 18:14]

Warren/Harris seems to be the ticket people on the left are looking for - my concern is that they will have the same issues Clinton did in the Rust Belt states - which realistically will be the ones to decide this election.

The Dems are torn right now between electing safe margin election winning candidate like Biden - or putting up a candidate that would actually do a great job - Warren, Harris, Yang or Buttigieg

Right now I would still be keen to see Biden as I think he has the support to beat Trump by big enough numbers that there is a proper transition. However I do have some faith in Warren who I think comes across much better than Clinton did and doesn't have her baggage - either way it is going to be interesting to watch
The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 18:22 - Sep 20 with 1936 viewswkj

Nah... Fake news... I mean, he seems to do well trotting out that stupid line so far, I don't see it letting him down soon

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 18:22 - Sep 20 with 1933 viewsjeera

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 16:30 - Sep 20 by connorscontract

If this is on tape* then Congress will get to hear it. Even the most Right-wing Republican Senators and Representatives would not be able to defend this, and many of the more old school Republicans, who Trump has knifed over the past three or four years, would welcome the opportunity for a clean kill and an opportunity to return to the kind of politics with which they are more comfortable.

*do they still tape stuff? I shouldn't think so. "Recorded to a Solid State Drive" doesn't have the same ring to it, though, does it?

Some things are still ''taped' to help stop tampering, or to prove there has been no tampering.

Just saying, probably irrelevant here.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 18:30 - Sep 20 with 1910 viewsSpruceMoose

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 18:19 - Sep 20 by yorkshire

Warren/Harris seems to be the ticket people on the left are looking for - my concern is that they will have the same issues Clinton did in the Rust Belt states - which realistically will be the ones to decide this election.

The Dems are torn right now between electing safe margin election winning candidate like Biden - or putting up a candidate that would actually do a great job - Warren, Harris, Yang or Buttigieg

Right now I would still be keen to see Biden as I think he has the support to beat Trump by big enough numbers that there is a proper transition. However I do have some faith in Warren who I think comes across much better than Clinton did and doesn't have her baggage - either way it is going to be interesting to watch

I think there was an assumption that Biden was a safe pair of hands, but everything he's done during his campaign seems to have undermined that. His polling figures are holding up though, got to give him that. But I'm not sure they will when things really get going.

I probably have a skewed view of things from NY to be fair. The people I talk to see Biden as more of the same that has failed to improve their lives over the last 50 years. There seems to be a real appetite for substantial change.

I think Warren can actually capitalise on that in the rust belt and in the farmlands if she's smart though. Those people have been left behind by the same old politics. What she is offering through her environmental plans could reinvigorate industry in those parts. If she can convince them to trust her and try some thing new... She's from Oklahoma. She knows those people. She knows what poverty is. That can play well.

Ultimately, any of the Democratic candidates running would be a vastly superior President than Trump, so any Democrat not voting for the eventual nominee (whoever they are) needs their head examined. I'm also glad there isn't an independent running thus far. The last thing Democrats need is a moderate independent with no hope of winning hoovering up 5% of the vote.

Final thought. Jay Inslee should be a serious consideration for heading up the EPA if the Dems win the primary. What he's done in Washington state in terms of the environment deserves a lot of credit.

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 19:20 - Sep 20 with 1858 viewsBlueBadger

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 17:27 - Sep 20 by manchego

winning in 2020 is everything so they have a decision to make.
addled racist bigot who is deteriorating or new guy.

...who will probably be equally racist and mad, just a bit more low-key about it.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 19:29 - Sep 20 with 1832 viewsyorkshire

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 18:30 - Sep 20 by SpruceMoose

I think there was an assumption that Biden was a safe pair of hands, but everything he's done during his campaign seems to have undermined that. His polling figures are holding up though, got to give him that. But I'm not sure they will when things really get going.

I probably have a skewed view of things from NY to be fair. The people I talk to see Biden as more of the same that has failed to improve their lives over the last 50 years. There seems to be a real appetite for substantial change.

I think Warren can actually capitalise on that in the rust belt and in the farmlands if she's smart though. Those people have been left behind by the same old politics. What she is offering through her environmental plans could reinvigorate industry in those parts. If she can convince them to trust her and try some thing new... She's from Oklahoma. She knows those people. She knows what poverty is. That can play well.

Ultimately, any of the Democratic candidates running would be a vastly superior President than Trump, so any Democrat not voting for the eventual nominee (whoever they are) needs their head examined. I'm also glad there isn't an independent running thus far. The last thing Democrats need is a moderate independent with no hope of winning hoovering up 5% of the vote.

Final thought. Jay Inslee should be a serious consideration for heading up the EPA if the Dems win the primary. What he's done in Washington state in terms of the environment deserves a lot of credit.

Totally agree on Inslee - came across really well

To be honest the quality of the Dem candidates is very high this time around - I can see all of them doing a much better job than the dross that is in there now. Harris would make an amazing AG - and Beto and Buttigieg great Senators - would love to find a place for Yang as well - he has really impressed me
The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 19:34 - Sep 20 with 1823 viewsSpruceMoose

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 19:29 - Sep 20 by yorkshire

Totally agree on Inslee - came across really well

To be honest the quality of the Dem candidates is very high this time around - I can see all of them doing a much better job than the dross that is in there now. Harris would make an amazing AG - and Beto and Buttigieg great Senators - would love to find a place for Yang as well - he has really impressed me

Yang is a funny one. I think he's a smart bloke, and has correctly identified the coming issue with AI and jobs being automated out of existence which is something few others are talking about. But some of the stuff he comes out with makes me cringe. I think he's just an awkward guy and isn't exactly inspiring in the flesh. He reminds me of Ed Miliband actually.

I can imagine a lot of these candidates having a role to play in a Democratic administration. Whether they'd want to do it or not is another thing, but I could see someone like Harris as AG, or Booker in charge of HUD.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2019 19:35]

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 20:08 - Sep 20 with 1776 viewsconnorscontract

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 18:22 - Sep 20 by jeera

Some things are still ''taped' to help stop tampering, or to prove there has been no tampering.

I was genuinely not sure, so thank you!
The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 20:13 - Sep 20 with 1763 viewsOldsmoker

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 18:22 - Sep 20 by jeera

I saw a documentary on the US Nuclear detterent.
They still use the large floppy disc in the cardborad sleeve so tapes are believable.
Large Floppies pre-date the 3-1/2" floppy in the plastic case.
For you youngsters this is the stuff before CD-ROM's.
You don't know what a CD-ROM is? I give up.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 20:17 - Sep 20 with 1753 viewswkj

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 20:13 - Sep 20 by Oldsmoker

I saw a documentary on the US Nuclear detterent.
They still use the large floppy disc in the cardborad sleeve so tapes are believable.
Large Floppies pre-date the 3-1/2" floppy in the plastic case.
For you youngsters this is the stuff before CD-ROM's.
You don't know what a CD-ROM is? I give up.

Magnetic tape for data storage is still very much mainstream, just not in the home.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 20:23 - Sep 20 with 1733 viewsOldsmoker

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 20:17 - Sep 20 by wkj

Magnetic tape for data storage is still very much mainstream, just not in the home.

Yea I know.
My last contract was doing all the stuff the junior was 'sposed to do.
Brain the size of a planet and they had me doing the print-outs, tape-saves etc.
I even did the refreshments which involved me going to the free drinks machine and pressing buttons. They used to complain that I couldn't even make a decent cup of tea.
Oh the humiliation (@ £25 per hour).

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 20:30 - Sep 20 with 1719 viewsjeera

The Trump telephone call allegation is now being reported more fully... on 20:17 - Sep 20 by wkj

Do they require a big magnetic pencil to wind up when they come undone though?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024