Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Johnson's cunning Brexit plan 07:18 - Oct 1 with 2769 viewsHerbivore

Seems to be going down well: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-49887116

It's depressing the extent to which we've ceased to be a serious, grown up country.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Johnson's cunning Brexit plan on 10:20 - Oct 1 with 835 viewsSwansea_Blue

Johnson's cunning Brexit plan on 09:56 - Oct 1 by Darth_Koont

I always enjoy reading Hannan's fantasy Brexit.

https://reaction.life/britain-looks-like-brexit/

The tragic aspect is the number of people who, despite all the evidence of the past three years, still haven't shifted from this. And are instead blaming the HoC or the EU for Brexit not happening when they really should be blaming reality.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Johnson's cunning Brexit plan on 10:21 - Oct 1 with 833 viewsfooters

Johnson's cunning Brexit plan on 10:07 - Oct 1 by noggin

A 'hard border', but not at the border. It's brilliant!

See they've bin gettin' all metaphysical agen.

différance - differing and deferral; "both not here, and not that".

Cosmic.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Johnson's cunning Brexit plan on 10:22 - Oct 1 with 831 viewsBackToRussia

Johnson's cunning Brexit plan on 09:24 - Oct 1 by hampstead_blue

a lot of clap trap has been released into the ether over this. Both sides.

It's beyond silly to believe anything apart from the fact that Town are top, Essex won a treble, and tea bags restrict the taste of your tea.

Yeah but MPs get cheap sandwiches, so....

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Johnson's cunning Brexit plan on 10:33 - Oct 1 with 803 viewsDarth_Koont

Schrödinger's Border.

It's a thought experiment on the British electorate to see if we're alive or dead.

Pronouns: He/Him

Johnson's cunning Brexit plan on 10:37 - Oct 1 with 790 viewsChurchman

It isn’t as silly as it sounds. In general future of customs ‘checking’ actually does lie away from the border, depending on what type goods are passing through. The name of the game is a frictionless border and making it as easy as possible for businesses to trade. Many smaller companies don’t export currently because current requirements are too complex and the UK has some of the best border arrangements in the world. Opening up those markets is very much the future.

The problem of the Irish border itself is pretty insoluble. Some goods pass over the border several times. How do tariffs work with that? A lot of illicit stuff passes over the border now, but let’s not talk about that. But fundamentally, if you have a differing tariff/tax regime one side or the other becomes uncompetitive overnight.

Using the UK as a bridge also goes out of the window. For Ireland to send goods via say Santander adds a minimum 24 hours transit time and additional cost and for some goods this just won’t be viable. A huge proportion of Irish trade passes through the UK or is with the UK (85%? - can’t remember the actual figure) and you can see the problem for Eire. They hardly have the worlds strongest economy now and with BJs Brexit the future is bleak for them as well as us, if not more so. It’s puzzled me why the Eire leader has been so belligerent with such a weak hand.

CTA pre-dates the EU so the rights for Irish people in the UK and visa versa remain unchanged. In the past there has been some ‘mission creep’ to include pets and equines (a big industry for both countries), but that element may go out of the window with no deal unless CTA is amended.

As far as I can see, none of it is good for anybody, apart from maybe members of the ERG.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 10:49]
Johnson's cunning Brexit plan on 11:28 - Oct 1 with 749 viewsNo9

There is no 'exit plan' just threats
Johnson's cunning Brexit plan on 12:27 - Oct 1 with 719 viewsnoggin

Johnson's cunning Brexit plan on 10:37 - Oct 1 by Churchman

It isn’t as silly as it sounds. In general future of customs ‘checking’ actually does lie away from the border, depending on what type goods are passing through. The name of the game is a frictionless border and making it as easy as possible for businesses to trade. Many smaller companies don’t export currently because current requirements are too complex and the UK has some of the best border arrangements in the world. Opening up those markets is very much the future.

The problem of the Irish border itself is pretty insoluble. Some goods pass over the border several times. How do tariffs work with that? A lot of illicit stuff passes over the border now, but let’s not talk about that. But fundamentally, if you have a differing tariff/tax regime one side or the other becomes uncompetitive overnight.

Using the UK as a bridge also goes out of the window. For Ireland to send goods via say Santander adds a minimum 24 hours transit time and additional cost and for some goods this just won’t be viable. A huge proportion of Irish trade passes through the UK or is with the UK (85%? - can’t remember the actual figure) and you can see the problem for Eire. They hardly have the worlds strongest economy now and with BJs Brexit the future is bleak for them as well as us, if not more so. It’s puzzled me why the Eire leader has been so belligerent with such a weak hand.

CTA pre-dates the EU so the rights for Irish people in the UK and visa versa remain unchanged. In the past there has been some ‘mission creep’ to include pets and equines (a big industry for both countries), but that element may go out of the window with no deal unless CTA is amended.

As far as I can see, none of it is good for anybody, apart from maybe members of the ERG.

But what about Declan Murphy who wants to declare the 12 bottles of Jameson's that he bought in the north, before returning home to Dundalk?
He's actually got 50 bottles but who's checking?
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 12:28]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Johnson's cunning Brexit plan on 14:08 - Oct 1 with 661 viewsMoriarty

Johnson's cunning Brexit plan on 10:37 - Oct 1 by Churchman

The Taoiseach, Leo Varadkar, has not been belligerent. He’s been open, honest and a stark contrast to BJ and those pulling him around by his scrote.

The gap between Varadkar and BJ was visible and obvious when BJ came to Dublin. Here’s a reminder.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/miriam-lord-boris-

The border will not just be an Irish border. It will be an EU border.

The backstop was agreed and it’s the UK, not Ireland or the EU, who are looking to renege on that.

The Irish government are looking to protect peace and the Good Friday agreement. They’re right to do so. They’ve invited alternative proposals from BJ and his scrote pullers but nothing remotely sensible has been put forward.

fka omuircheartaigh

Login to get fewer ads

Johnson's cunning Brexit plan on 14:25 - Oct 1 with 646 viewsPinewoodblue

The EU take external borders seriously* suspect we will be read8ng more stories like this one.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/pregnant-co

* Although they choose not to regard the border between Cyprus and North Cyprus as an external border.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 14:28]

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Johnson's cunning Brexit plan on 14:54 - Oct 1 with 620 viewsChurchman

Johnson's cunning Brexit plan on 14:08 - Oct 1 by Moriarty

The Taoiseach, Leo Varadkar, has not been belligerent. He’s been open, honest and a stark contrast to BJ and those pulling him around by his scrote.

The gap between Varadkar and BJ was visible and obvious when BJ came to Dublin. Here’s a reminder.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/miriam-lord-boris-

The border will not just be an Irish border. It will be an EU border.

The backstop was agreed and it’s the UK, not Ireland or the EU, who are looking to renege on that.

The Irish government are looking to protect peace and the Good Friday agreement. They’re right to do so. They’ve invited alternative proposals from BJ and his scrote pullers but nothing remotely sensible has been put forward.

I am not fond of BJ to say the least, but I will have to disagree with you on LV. Maybe he’s been towing the France/German line - as a little player he has to really, but I think he has been very aggressive over the past year or two. Yes, it’ll be an EU border but UK / Eire trade will be passing across it and it’ll be the EU that will be erecting a physical border. It is not mentioned, but they will.

The backstop was agreed by TM, not Parliament. It never should have been. Parliament threw out the ‘agreement’ and rightly so as any sane person would if they’ve read it. Parliament didn’t renege on anything and of course the EU supported it! Given the content of it why wouldn’t they?

Believe it or not, I think the UK govt and the people of NI want to protect peace too. I’ve not seen the details of what’s been proposed on this occasion, though you clearly have if nothing remotely sensible has been put forward. Perhaps you could clarify?
Johnson's cunning Brexit plan on 16:11 - Oct 1 with 594 viewsMoriarty

Johnson's cunning Brexit plan on 14:54 - Oct 1 by Churchman

I am not fond of BJ to say the least, but I will have to disagree with you on LV. Maybe he’s been towing the France/German line - as a little player he has to really, but I think he has been very aggressive over the past year or two. Yes, it’ll be an EU border but UK / Eire trade will be passing across it and it’ll be the EU that will be erecting a physical border. It is not mentioned, but they will.

The backstop was agreed by TM, not Parliament. It never should have been. Parliament threw out the ‘agreement’ and rightly so as any sane person would if they’ve read it. Parliament didn’t renege on anything and of course the EU supported it! Given the content of it why wouldn’t they?

Believe it or not, I think the UK govt and the people of NI want to protect peace too. I’ve not seen the details of what’s been proposed on this occasion, though you clearly have if nothing remotely sensible has been put forward. Perhaps you could clarify?

Many of your comments are profoundly misconceived.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/the-republic-must-

Has it occurred to you that the border was a non issue during your referendum? Have you considered why that was?

It doesn’t take much research to see that BJ has been running for cover again by saying the latest proposals (which have been widely ridiculed) are in fact old proposals but he has new ones (yet again) for Thursday (only he’s not telling anyone what they are.)

I wonder if Boris has considered throwing the DUP under the bus.

fka omuircheartaigh

Johnson's cunning Brexit plan on 17:08 - Oct 1 with 558 viewsChurchman

Johnson's cunning Brexit plan on 16:11 - Oct 1 by Moriarty

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/the-republic-must-

Has it occurred to you that the border was a non issue during your referendum? Have you considered why that was?

It doesn’t take much research to see that BJ has been running for cover again by saying the latest proposals (which have been widely ridiculed) are in fact old proposals but he has new ones (yet again) for Thursday (only he’s not telling anyone what they are.)

I know why the Irish border was a non-issue during ‘our’ referendum as do most sane people in ‘our’ country. A binary question on a complex issue based on lies and deceit meant the Irish border along with just about everything else important was either not known about or discussed. I also knew about the potential border issues long before it made the media.

If you believe the Irish Times are the sole masters of truth, that’s your prerogative. But I can assure you that what was written about brexit in the media up until May was 80% incorrect. After then I cannot really comment, because like you I only have what I’m fed by them.

You are entitled to your opinion that many of my views were profoundly misconceived but I am saddened you chose to downvote me for it. The points I made regarding UK Eire trade in the first reply are actually not misconceived at all.
Johnson's cunning Brexit plan on 17:25 - Oct 1 with 543 viewsEireannach_gorm

Johnson's cunning Brexit plan on 14:25 - Oct 1 by Pinewoodblue

The EU take external borders seriously* suspect we will be read8ng more stories like this one.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/pregnant-co

* Although they choose not to regard the border between Cyprus and North Cyprus as an external border.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 14:28]

There, there, there, Penka is OK.

https://www.dw.com/en/penka-the-bulgarian-cow-reprieved-after-eu-cross-border-ad
Johnson's cunning Brexit plan on 17:46 - Oct 1 with 524 viewsEireannach_gorm

Johnson's cunning Brexit plan on 16:11 - Oct 1 by Moriarty

'He points out how people forget that the Belfast Agreement also involved a referendum in the Republic and the Irish people giving up constitutional claim to Northern Ireland as a price for peace.'
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024