Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? 11:35 - Oct 2 with 35429 viewsBrixtonBlue

Yes, I'm bored at work.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:43 - Oct 9 with 1780 viewswkj

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:42 - Oct 9 by footers

Hey! I am my own woman and am not owned or operated by any third party, ta v. much.

I see this discussion is as fruitful as it was yesterday, last week, month, year and so on.

Play nice.

Hey! I am my own woman and am not owned or operated by any third party, ta v. much.

I see this discussion is as fruitful as it was yesterday, last week, month, year and so on.

Play nice.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:48 - Oct 9 with 1763 viewskinnockers

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:43 - Oct 9 by wkj

Play nice.

This is so frustrating.

But unfortunately I do not have the correct evidence to support this claim. So maybe it's not frustrating at all.

Former leader of the Labour Party / Newsround Editor

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:50 - Oct 9 with 1756 viewswkj

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:48 - Oct 9 by kinnockers

This is so frustrating.

But unfortunately I do not have the correct evidence to support this claim. So maybe it's not frustrating at all.

I can see why.

Crybaby

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:54 - Oct 9 with 1748 viewscaught-in-limbo

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:33 - Oct 9 by Ryorry

Well it would help your credibility if just occasionally, say one time in a hundred, you actually agreed with a view that's widely held. That way, we might consider you weren't just trolling. I certainly didn't have you down as stupid.

You called me stupid on several occasions in connection with my 911 views.

Anyway, if you take it that I agree with the majority on every issue I don't post about, you'll be right about 95pc of the time.

I'm not concerned about my credibility as perceived by the most vocal on this forum.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:57 - Oct 9 with 1741 viewswkj

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:54 - Oct 9 by caught-in-limbo

Anyway, if you take it that I agree with the majority on every issue I don't post about, you'll be right about 95pc of the time.

I'm not concerned about my credibility as perceived by the most vocal on this forum.

And their alts. Come on man, name and shame. If you're going to make an accusation have the stones to see it through.

Crybaby

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 13:07 - Oct 9 with 1704 viewsRyorry

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:54 - Oct 9 by caught-in-limbo

1. 18 years ago?!!

2. It's perfectly reasonable for people to take you for what you do post, not what you don't post. We're not mind readers.

3. We can tell.

You just keep coming out with the same old same old, apparently simply because it's "what you do" - it's just bog-standard for you. No evidence, incredible (literally) and therefore pointless - unless you're trolling of course.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 13:42 - Oct 9 with 1685 viewsBrixtonBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:31 - Oct 9 by caught-in-limbo

"CIL, sometimes, some of the stuff you post is quite interesting."

Woo hoo, I'm suddenly on cloud nine!

"But you're doing yourself no favours in this thread by not providing anything to back up your claims.
You claim that climate change isn't happening, so you must have, say, an article at least that led you to think it?"

There really is no point. I'll tell you why, because it's the same old story and the comeback is always one of the following:

a) The study is too old
b) The author is retired
c) the author is a well known "denier" - wikipedia says so
d) the author is Russian/Chinese/Syrian and is therefore biased at best or an disinformation agent
e) it's a minority opinion and the science is already settled
f) a site selling chakra cream also happens to link to the same article
g) Jeremy Corbyn's brother agrees with the article
h) the information is in the form of a video, but sadly it's YouTube, so has no credibility
i) It's already been debunked by Popular Mechanics and Snopes
j) CIL brought the article to our attention so it's wrong, automatically, at least until one of TWTD's own self proclaimed science correspondents says otherwise.
k) the author is an apologist for a public hate figure
l) it's a conspiracy theory and it's essentially about lizards, CIA, illuminati or just antisemitic

Which begs the question, why do I bother?

Well I don't do it for the reasons perpetuated on this board. I do it to show that I personally question, doubt or sometimes even disagree with some widely believed truths. And while this does nothing for my popularity or credibility on this site, it essentially comes down to free speech. If people are discouraged from voicing/sharing opposing views, we suddenly become very easy to control.

This is not to say I'm anti-science. I certainly am not. A scientific debate is impossible on a football forum where majority opinion, or the most respected/articulate forum member, or the most conforming opinion wins in the end, irrespective of the evidence provided.

I'm not really bothered about who the author is, or their opinions. I'm interested in evidence.

This post looks like a massive swerve. It makes it look very much like you don't actually have any evidence.

If you don't, or aren't willing to share it, what's the point of you in this thread?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 13:44 - Oct 9 with 1681 viewswkj

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 13:42 - Oct 9 by BrixtonBlue

I'm not really bothered about who the author is, or their opinions. I'm interested in evidence.

This post looks like a massive swerve. It makes it look very much like you don't actually have any evidence.

If you don't, or aren't willing to share it, what's the point of you in this thread?

Evidence isn't really part of the equation apparently. I am still curious to learn who my 4 alts are.

Crybaby

Login to get fewer ads

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 13:54 - Oct 9 with 1669 viewseireblue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 13:42 - Oct 9 by BrixtonBlue

CIL forgot to add something to the list.

Based in on this thread and a previous one on climate change, CIL is also a hypocrite.
How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 16:07 - Oct 9 with 1634 viewscaught-in-limbo

Good post.

"I'm not really bothered about who the author is, or their opinions. I'm interested in evidence."

The thing is, that doesn't work in a thread about brain science. None of us (brain scientists aside) really have the ability to assess the evidence, but we all tend to have a preference when it comes to making an opinion - so we generally choose the scientist who sounds most plausible, or at least one who expresses a majority viewpoint. It sounds incredible, but as obvious as it is to a westerner that memories are stored in our heads, to an Indian (at least the ones in my family) it's just as obvious that they possibly aren't.

"This post looks like a massive swerve. It makes it look very much like you don't actually have any evidence."

You're right, I don't have any evidence that memories are stored outside the brain. I haven't hidden that, I'm not swerving, and it's not my intention to try and bring anyone round to my viewpoint. I could spend time digging out a few scientists who share my opinion, and if I managed to find one in English it would most likely be dismissed as unscientific. In fact, I've already checked on wikipedia, so there's no point.

"If you don't, or aren't willing to share it, what's the point of you in this thread?"

Well, as threads of this nature generally turn into "my scientist is more credible than yours", you're probably right, me participating in this discussion on this forum with the usual forum members is pointless. If however, there was more a little more flexibility of discussion beyond "this is what modern western science says, so everything else can be rejected out of hand as little more than woo-woo", perhaps on topics such as this, I would provide "evidence" or at least interesting research.

To be honest, I'm not sure why people spend so much time on me if they think I'm just a troll.

#toxic

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 16:33 - Oct 9 with 1619 viewsBrixtonBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 16:07 - Oct 9 by caught-in-limbo

Good post.

"I'm not really bothered about who the author is, or their opinions. I'm interested in evidence."

The thing is, that doesn't work in a thread about brain science. None of us (brain scientists aside) really have the ability to assess the evidence, but we all tend to have a preference when it comes to making an opinion - so we generally choose the scientist who sounds most plausible, or at least one who expresses a majority viewpoint. It sounds incredible, but as obvious as it is to a westerner that memories are stored in our heads, to an Indian (at least the ones in my family) it's just as obvious that they possibly aren't.

"This post looks like a massive swerve. It makes it look very much like you don't actually have any evidence."

You're right, I don't have any evidence that memories are stored outside the brain. I haven't hidden that, I'm not swerving, and it's not my intention to try and bring anyone round to my viewpoint. I could spend time digging out a few scientists who share my opinion, and if I managed to find one in English it would most likely be dismissed as unscientific. In fact, I've already checked on wikipedia, so there's no point.

"If you don't, or aren't willing to share it, what's the point of you in this thread?"

Well, as threads of this nature generally turn into "my scientist is more credible than yours", you're probably right, me participating in this discussion on this forum with the usual forum members is pointless. If however, there was more a little more flexibility of discussion beyond "this is what modern western science says, so everything else can be rejected out of hand as little more than woo-woo", perhaps on topics such as this, I would provide "evidence" or at least interesting research.

To be honest, I'm not sure why people spend so much time on me if they think I'm just a troll.

Some may dismiss it as woo woo, some may read it with an open mind. If you don't care what people on here think of you, as you're not trying to get anyone to buy into anything, you should have no problem posting it. What have you got to lose?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 16:35 - Oct 9 with 1617 viewscaught-in-limbo

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 13:07 - Oct 9 by Ryorry

1. 18 years ago?!!

2. It's perfectly reasonable for people to take you for what you do post, not what you don't post. We're not mind readers.

3. We can tell.

You just keep coming out with the same old same old, apparently simply because it's "what you do" - it's just bog-standard for you. No evidence, incredible (literally) and therefore pointless - unless you're trolling of course.

1) I haven't been here for more than 12 years.

2) If I was bothered what people thought of me or my views I'd have disappeared after the first day.

3) It sounds like your credibility is important to you. I don't see why it's relevant on a forum where you remain anonymous, unless you're making money from posting on here.

4) Can you name two other topics where I have shared an opinion and not provided evidence/sources for others that share my views? There can't be many in the 12 years I've been here.

#toxic

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 16:45 - Oct 9 with 1604 viewscaught-in-limbo

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 16:33 - Oct 9 by BrixtonBlue

Some may dismiss it as woo woo, some may read it with an open mind. If you don't care what people on here think of you, as you're not trying to get anyone to buy into anything, you should have no problem posting it. What have you got to lose?

What have you got to lose? - Even more time.

You know that I usually reference sources, but when I do, it's not always the information I link that gets discussed but the author, the site, the advertisers, the comments at the bottom of the article or even what wikipedia has to say about the author. All these things happen on this forum all the time and all of them are evidence that people here are more concerned with being "right" or more credible" than others. It's time consuming because it fails to address the message.

#toxic

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 16:51 - Oct 9 with 1597 viewsHerbivore

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 16:45 - Oct 9 by caught-in-limbo

You know that I usually reference sources, but when I do, it's not always the information I link that gets discussed but the author, the site, the advertisers, the comments at the bottom of the article or even what wikipedia has to say about the author. All these things happen on this forum all the time and all of them are evidence that people here are more concerned with being "right" or more credible" than others. It's time consuming because it fails to address the message.

You dismiss many 'mainstream' views precisely because you think they are agenda driven, yet when the potential agenda of the sources you cite is called into question you don't consider that fair play. This is classic conspiracy thinking, subject the consensus view to a high level of sceptical doubt and question it to the nth degree, whilst simultaneously entertaining positions that fall apart when subjected to less than a tenth of the same scrutiny and scepticism.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2019 16:57]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 16:53 - Oct 9 with 1595 viewsStokieBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 16:45 - Oct 9 by caught-in-limbo

The entire implication of that post is that you are right and that your sources unquestionable because if anyone questions the source or the content they are more concerned with being "credible" than "right".

How can anyone address the message if questioning the source, author or site is unacceptable?

Frankly it's an odd post.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 16:54 - Oct 9 with 1594 viewswkj

How is that list of alt names coming along CIL, or would you like to do the gracious thing and admit it was a bit of venom in the heat of the moment and put it all to bed?

Crybaby

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 16:57 - Oct 9 with 1587 viewsHerbivore

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 16:54 - Oct 9 by wkj

How is that list of alt names coming along CIL, or would you like to do the gracious thing and admit it was a bit of venom in the heat of the moment and put it all to bed?

They will never admit they're wrong.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 16:59 - Oct 9 with 1583 viewswkj

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 16:57 - Oct 9 by Herbivore

They will never admit they're wrong.

Possibly so, I would prefer to be held accountable for my alter egos tho. Admittedly there are multiple usernames associated with this IP address, but I am also not the only town fan in this house that uses TWTD either.

Crybaby

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:07 - Oct 9 with 1572 viewscaught-in-limbo

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 16:51 - Oct 9 by Herbivore

You dismiss many 'mainstream' views precisely because you think they are agenda driven, yet when the potential agenda of the sources you cite is called into question you don't consider that fair play. This is classic conspiracy thinking, subject the consensus view to a high level of sceptical doubt and question it to the nth degree, whilst simultaneously entertaining positions that fall apart when subjected to less than a tenth of the same scrutiny and scepticism.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2019 16:57]

Incorrect. You've created a position for me and attacked that, not my actual opinion.

I believe nearly all media sources are agenda driven most of the time. I accept that as a given whether I share the message or not.

Therefore, I find myself agreeing with all sorts of news articles across the (political) spectrum of media sources all over the globe.

#toxic

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:09 - Oct 9 with 1565 viewsHerbivore

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:07 - Oct 9 by caught-in-limbo

Incorrect. You've created a position for me and attacked that, not my actual opinion.

I believe nearly all media sources are agenda driven most of the time. I accept that as a given whether I share the message or not.

Therefore, I find myself agreeing with all sorts of news articles across the (political) spectrum of media sources all over the globe.

Sure you do, dear.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:10 - Oct 9 with 1565 viewswkj

Crybaby

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:24 - Oct 9 with 1556 viewscaught-in-limbo

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 16:53 - Oct 9 by StokieBlue

The entire implication of that post is that you are right and that your sources unquestionable because if anyone questions the source or the content they are more concerned with being "credible" than "right".

How can anyone address the message if questioning the source, author or site is unacceptable?

Frankly it's an odd post.

SB

No, you've misread or misunderstood it. No one is unquestionable. And I don't think I've ever claimed to be right - I'm very careful not to do that. But the game starts to reveal a pattern when challenging the information is nearly always put aside in preference to challenging the source of the information.

A classic example is the rejection, out of hand, of anything posted on YouTube. YouTube is just a medium. There's plenty of rubbish on youtube, I'd go as far as 99% of it is rubbish. But very good opinions by highly respected experts at perfectly good meetings/conferences get published as youtube videos. Subsequently, there's no point posting anything that appears on YouTube because it's given the same credibility as skateboarding ducks and presented as 3rd rate material.

#toxic

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:29 - Oct 9 with 1553 viewscaught-in-limbo

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 16:54 - Oct 9 by wkj

If it's such an awful thing to suggest that someone has multiple alts or more than one person is using the same alt, people wouldn't accuse me of precisely the same thing. Personally, it should be like water off a duck's back for an established user of any site. The fact you keep going on about it, suggests I've hit a nerve.

#toxic

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:35 - Oct 9 with 1546 viewswkj

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:29 - Oct 9 by caught-in-limbo

If it's such an awful thing to suggest that someone has multiple alts or more than one person is using the same alt, people wouldn't accuse me of precisely the same thing. Personally, it should be like water off a duck's back for an established user of any site. The fact you keep going on about it, suggests I've hit a nerve.

On the contrary, I am a keen observe of the truth, and when it was only Stokie and I dueling with you this morning you mentioned someone with many alts, 4 I believe. So, like you, I am interested to know the facts or alternatively if maybe it was something said spur of the moment. I don't feel I am unreasonable for wanting clarity on a bold claim pointed in my direction.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? by caught-in-limbo 9 Oct 2019 11:18
Bless you, Stokie.

Everybody has already left the discussion. All the people you claim to be protecting from my dangerous views have long gone. You've bored them off the thread. Now you're speaking to just me and the bloke with 4 alts.

The last part is what I am particularly interested in, as a reminder.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2019 17:37]

Crybaby

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:38 - Oct 9 with 1539 viewscaught-in-limbo

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:09 - Oct 9 by Herbivore

Sure you do, dear.

Yes I do. I've pretty much agreed with any news article that has dismissed accusations of Corbyn being a terrorist sympathising antisemite. (Generally leftist papers of course).

I also agree with any paper or any politics who rips Corbyn to shreds over his weakness/wooliness/indecisiveness and double standards... over the last 4 to 6 weeks. (Generally right leaning or centrist papers).

Similarly, I agreed with all US media outlets who said Hillary Clinton was an evil crook (Republican papers) and agreed with all the Democrat supporting papers who say Trump is a despicable individual.

Sometimes it's difficult to easily understand people whose politics don't fall down simple media or political party lines.

#toxic

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024