Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse 10:24 - Oct 23 with 12878 viewsnorth_stand77

What a sad world we live in. 39 bodies found in a container at Essex, just wanting a safer, better life.
The lorry driver has been arrested.
How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 10:28 - Oct 23 with 3937 viewsRyorry

Beyond shocking :(

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 10:33 - Oct 23 with 3934 viewsSwansea_Blue

Awful

Not stopping the usual vile suspects like Hopkins making political capital out of it though. What a sad world we live in indeed.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 10:35 - Oct 23 with 3920 viewsGuthrum

Apparently he came ashore at Holyhead, so must have driven right across the country with them in there.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 10:38 - Oct 23 with 3898 viewsnorth_stand77

How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 10:35 - Oct 23 by Guthrum

Apparently he came ashore at Holyhead, so must have driven right across the country with them in there.

But to leave them there till now is horrible. I don't understand how any human being could do that knowing the likely consequences.
How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 10:41 - Oct 23 with 3873 viewsRyorry

How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 10:38 - Oct 23 by north_stand77

But to leave them there till now is horrible. I don't understand how any human being could do that knowing the likely consequences.

Confined space made me think of Holocaust & gas chambers.

Katie Hopkins is a vile xenophobe... she represents all that is wrong.. on 10:46 - Oct 23 with 3855 viewsunstableblue

How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 10:33 - Oct 23 by Swansea_Blue

Awful

Not stopping the usual vile suspects like Hopkins making political capital out of it though. What a sad world we live in indeed.

... with sections of the British electorate...ignorance, hate, lack of understanding.. and sadly a large portion of our fellow citizens tacitly agree with her views....

Her words on this are callous and self-serving, shame on her

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Katie Hopkins is a vile xenophobe... she represents all that is wrong.. on 10:50 - Oct 23 with 3824 viewsfooters

Katie Hopkins is a vile xenophobe... she represents all that is wrong.. on 10:46 - Oct 23 by unstableblue

... with sections of the British electorate...ignorance, hate, lack of understanding.. and sadly a large portion of our fellow citizens tacitly agree with her views....

Her words on this are callous and self-serving, shame on her

Unfortunately, people even talking about her gives her the oxygen of publicity she craves. Thought she'd disappeared, tbh. Sadly not.

Dreadful story. Shame on the traffickers and others complicit.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 10:52 - Oct 23 with 3800 viewsclive_baker

How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 10:38 - Oct 23 by north_stand77

Wait, I've not read the story. He knew they were in there and intentionally left them?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

Katie Hopkins is a vile xenophobe... she represents all that is wrong.. on 10:53 - Oct 23 with 3796 viewsdavblue

Katie Hopkins is a vile xenophobe... she represents all that is wrong.. on 10:50 - Oct 23 by footers

Unfortunately, people even talking about her gives her the oxygen of publicity she craves. Thought she'd disappeared, tbh. Sadly not.

She probably monetises the facebook, Twitter clicks i suspect and that's why she does it.

If people ignored her she would become irrelevant very quickly.
How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 10:54 - Oct 23 with 3794 viewsGuthrum

Indeed. The first report I read didn't say how long they had been there.

How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 11:00 - Oct 23 with 3742 viewsnorth_stand77

How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 10:52 - Oct 23 by clive_baker

Wait, I've not read the story. He knew they were in there and intentionally left them?

How can you have 39 people in a container and not know??
Lorry drivers have the responsibility to make frequent checks anyway, whether it was deliberate or not. The lorry driver being arrested on suspicion of murder may indicate he was complicit
How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 11:02 - Oct 23 with 3723 viewsGuthrum

How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 11:00 - Oct 23 by north_stand77

Lorry drivers have the responsibility to make frequent checks anyway, whether it was deliberate or not. The lorry driver being arrested on suspicion of murder may indicate he was complicit

I belive the law was changed a few years ago to make it explicitly the driver's responibility if there are stowaways on his lorry.

How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 11:03 - Oct 23 with 3718 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The article I read said he was held on suspicion of murder. I get how the inevitable outcome could lead to that but I also presume he had no intent to kill. Doesn't that make it manslaughter?

He deserves whatever he gets assuming he knew they were in there. Whoever else was involved needs hunting down and prosecuting too. I suspect that will prove trickier.

38 adults and 1 teenager.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Katie Hopkins is a vile xenophobe... she represents all that is wrong.. on 11:03 - Oct 23 with 3716 viewsSwansea_Blue

Katie Hopkins is a vile xenophobe... she represents all that is wrong.. on 10:50 - Oct 23 by footers

True. I didn't link on purpose, but maybe I shouldn't have even mentioned her.

Makes you wonder whether the driver knew they were there (I suspect there's strong evidence to suggest he did, otherwise why arrest for murder). I knew a freelance drive once, and he used to regale stories of what he and other drivers would do to stowayas. He was a sick barsteward. No idea if this is the same, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was deliberate.

How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 11:04 - Oct 23 with 3719 viewsusm

Its beyond awful. Details are sketchy at the moment but how the driver could have left them unattended for long enough for them to die is beyond my comprehension. No info on any survivors yet, which seems odd - something must have happened that we are not aware of yet.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 11:05 - Oct 23 with 3704 viewsmonytowbray

How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 10:33 - Oct 23 by Swansea_Blue

Awful

I also find the empty gestures and comments from the likes of Priti Patel calling it sad rather vile. She's been pushing anti-immigration messages for a while, ironically whilst being someone who has personally benefited from her family immigrating to the UK in the first place.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 11:06 - Oct 23 with 3699 viewsSwansea_Blue

How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 11:02 - Oct 23 by Guthrum

I belive the law was changed a few years ago to make it explicitly the driver's responibility if there are stowaways on his lorry.

Quite some years ago now. And that had quite an impact on how drivers then viewed the stowaways...

How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 11:08 - Oct 23 with 3684 viewsGuthrum

How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 11:04 - Oct 23 by usm

Its beyond awful. Details are sketchy at the moment but how the driver could have left them unattended for long enough for them to die is beyond my comprehension. No info on any survivors yet, which seems odd - something must have happened that we are not aware of yet.

Doesn't say how long they had been dead, either.

Katie Hopkins is a vile xenophobe... she represents all that is wrong.. on 11:09 - Oct 23 with 3673 viewsfooters

Katie Hopkins is a vile xenophobe... she represents all that is wrong.. on 11:03 - Oct 23 by Swansea_Blue

True. I didn't link on purpose, but maybe I shouldn't have even mentioned her.

Makes you wonder whether the driver knew they were there (I suspect there's strong evidence to suggest he did, otherwise why arrest for murder). I knew a freelance drive once, and he used to regale stories of what he and other drivers would do to stowayas. He was a sick barsteward. No idea if this is the same, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was deliberate.

We're both guilty of the first bit now, mate! Best we both shut it, eh.

Yeah, as others have said, it's not very likely he didn't know there were 39 people in there, what with having to do checks etc. What amount of money would persuade anyone to do something so disgusting? And it might not have been the first time either.

One thing I think the last government was actually quite good on was the anti-trafficking/modern slavery enforcement. This must only be the tip of the iceberg.

In fact, one of the builders who came round here once spoke very little English and asked my housemate for some painkillers for an abscess in his mouth. Then he asked again later so she gave him the pack. I hadn't known this till after but probably should've told someone. If you can't afford 20p for a packet of paracetamol or get to a doctor for something like that then you can only wonder about the living and work conditions of those people. Terrible.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 11:10 - Oct 23 with 3671 viewsclive_baker

How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 11:00 - Oct 23 by north_stand77

I don't know, I've never driven a lorry. I wouldn't have thought that weight, in the context of what a lorry can normally transport would be that much. The scenarios are:

- He let them in with a view to trafficking them, but then why leave them there? Unless he realised they were dead once arriving in the UK, and thought his get out would be to pretend he wasn't aware of their presence?

- He didn't know they were in there and it's a tragic accident.

- He didn't let them in, but knew they were in there, and decided to not let the authorities know and leave them all to die because he's some sick f*ck.

Being arrested of something may 'indicate' it, but I prefer to wait until the relevant authorities have done their work before jumping to conclusions. Being guilty of not doing checks is irresponsible, but the thought that it was a deliberate act, knowing they were in there I find staggering.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2019 11:12]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 11:17 - Oct 23 with 3615 viewsNotSure

How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 11:10 - Oct 23 by clive_baker

I don't know, I've never driven a lorry. I wouldn't have thought that weight, in the context of what a lorry can normally transport would be that much. The scenarios are:

- He let them in with a view to trafficking them, but then why leave them there? Unless he realised they were dead once arriving in the UK, and thought his get out would be to pretend he wasn't aware of their presence?

- He didn't let them in, but knew they were in there, and decided to not let the authorities know and leave them all to die because he's some sick f*ck.

Being arrested of something may 'indicate' it, but I prefer to wait until the relevant authorities have done their work before jumping to conclusions. Being guilty of not doing checks is irresponsible, but the thought that it was a deliberate act, knowing they were in there I find staggering.

In a similar incident in 2001 the lorry driver got 14 years for manslaughter.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/apr/05/immigration.immigrationandpublicservi
How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 11:17 - Oct 23 with 3613 viewsGuthrum

How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 11:10 - Oct 23 by clive_baker

It also depends if and how they were concealed within the container. Were they inside some sort of partition or crate, in which case their presence may not have been so obvious. As illegal migrants*, they had a major incentive to remain silent and undiscovered, even at risk to their lives.

* Assuming they were.

How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 11:18 - Oct 23 with 3607 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Indeed. I also suspect the arrest on suspicion of murder is because they think that is the most serious crime they might be able to provide sufficient evidence to charge him for. I suspect manslaughter may be the actual charge.

A defence of not knowing they were in there is probably his most likely course unless he rolls over on some trafficking gang as a plea bargain.

Doesn't it also suggest a failure of customs at Holyhead too? Shouldn't they have some sort of infra red detection system as a routine check?

Whilst Hopkins will spin this as swarms of illegal immigrants wanting to come here, shouldn't it be seen as the fact there is no easy open border for many people from eastern Europe already and a failure of our own systems to prevent it?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

How awful is the news of the poor people found in the container in a warehouse on 11:18 - Oct 23 with 3608 viewsRyorry

Don't see how you can not know - shouting, banging on sides - even if it was an artic with detached container, he must have stopped occasionally for pees etc, whereupon the people would surely have made noise?

Katie Hopkins is a vile xenophobe... she represents all that is wrong.. on 11:21 - Oct 23 with 3585 viewsRyorry

Katie Hopkins is a vile xenophobe... she represents all that is wrong.. on 11:09 - Oct 23 by footers

We're both guilty of the first bit now, mate! Best we both shut it, eh.

Yeah, as others have said, it's not very likely he didn't know there were 39 people in there, what with having to do checks etc. What amount of money would persuade anyone to do something so disgusting? And it might not have been the first time either.

One thing I think the last government was actually quite good on was the anti-trafficking/modern slavery enforcement. This must only be the tip of the iceberg.

In fact, one of the builders who came round here once spoke very little English and asked my housemate for some painkillers for an abscess in his mouth. Then he asked again later so she gave him the pack. I hadn't known this till after but probably should've told someone. If you can't afford 20p for a packet of paracetamol or get to a doctor for something like that then you can only wonder about the living and work conditions of those people. Terrible.

Certainly sounds as if he was a victim of modern slavery.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024