Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Controversial post alert 22:16 - Oct 23 with 15597 viewsartsbossbeard

So, apart from having a much bigger squad, support from the owner and playing in a pub league, is there much difference in style from the mick days? Genuine question.

Let's hope lambo doesn't say a rudey.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Controversial post alert on 00:35 - Oct 25 with 3385 viewsBrixtonBlue

Is our squad much bigger than Mick's, and did Mick not get support from the owner?!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Controversial post alert on 00:38 - Oct 25 with 3383 viewsBrixtonBlue

Controversial post alert on 22:28 - Oct 23 by Moriarty

I think a big difference is that Mick knew what he was doing.

Are you (and your up-arrowers) suggesting Lambert doesn't know what he's doing?!?

Blimey, 2 defeats and suddenly those still pining for Mick are out in force.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Controversial post alert on 06:43 - Oct 25 with 3327 viewsMoriarty

Controversial post alert on 00:38 - Oct 25 by BrixtonBlue

Are you (and your up-arrowers) suggesting Lambert doesn't know what he's doing?!?

Blimey, 2 defeats and suddenly those still pining for Mick are out in force.

Colleen Rooney like powers of deduction there.

Good man.

fka omuircheartaigh

Controversial post alert on 07:35 - Oct 25 with 3316 viewsKeaneish

Controversial post alert on 12:15 - Oct 24 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Which rather belies the idea that we would never have had 60% possession under McCarthy doesn’t it?

Loltacular

Where did we say he'd never had 60% or over? I said it was "unlikely".
In 2 out of his last 8 games we had 60% or over, that's 25% of games, so no, it doesn't, does it?

Loltacular back at you.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Controversial post alert on 07:37 - Oct 25 with 3315 viewsKeaneish

Controversial post alert on 18:31 - Oct 24 by haynes_toe1

So back to the bit when you told me it was unlikely we would ever have 60% possession in League One with Mick, despite the fact he achieved that in the league above (and without relegating us, might I add.)....

Unlikely meaning not very probable or in the minority of chances. As i said to Healey, what i'm saying is correct, Mick typically didn't play the type of possession football that PL does.

Again, plenty on here running to defend MM. It's not a major criticism of Mick. It's just not the way he approaches games.

Controversial post alert on 07:50 - Oct 25 with 3301 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Controversial post alert on 07:35 - Oct 25 by Keaneish

Where did we say he'd never had 60% or over? I said it was "unlikely".
In 2 out of his last 8 games we had 60% or over, that's 25% of games, so no, it doesn't, does it?

Loltacular back at you.

You were arguing with a poster who said it was likely we may have managed that against Accrington

You then posted stats from McCarthy’s last 5 games showing possession in the 40’s as evidence that we wouldn’t - except that 4 of the games weren’t managed by McCarthy

In 2 of his actual last games we had 60%+, plus another coming close at 55% - in the division above, against much better sides

Therefore not unreasonable to suggest it is likely we would have seen similar if McCarthy was in the dugout on Sunday - except for the fact we wouldn’t have been there in the first place of course

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Controversial post alert on 07:54 - Oct 25 with 3303 viewsReuser_is_God

Micks budget was £9m more than Lamberts.

I don’t like using budgets as a barometer but Mick did so I guess it has to be taken into account here.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Controversial post alert on 07:54 - Oct 25 with 3299 viewsReuser_is_God

Controversial post alert on 16:45 - Oct 24 by Mullet

Mick never produced football this bad, mainly because he never got us relegated. However, I wonder if we are going to revisit those games where he won with almost 100% shot accuracy, but obviously didn't deserve to, cos errr well reasons.

There's nothing stopping Lambert emulating Mick here, but the whole club has gone so far backwards thanks to Hurst and Evans, he is still a long way off.

Being outplayed by Newcastle at their place is one thing, but having no outlets, no service and no organisation across the whole XI to Rotherham who have been weakened significantly thanks to relegation as some sort of fair comparison just doesn't work.

Lamberts football didn’t get us relegated.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Login to get fewer ads

Controversial post alert on 07:59 - Oct 25 with 3293 viewsKeaneish

Controversial post alert on 07:50 - Oct 25 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

You were arguing with a poster who said it was likely we may have managed that against Accrington

You then posted stats from McCarthy’s last 5 games showing possession in the 40’s as evidence that we wouldn’t - except that 4 of the games weren’t managed by McCarthy

In 2 of his actual last games we had 60%+, plus another coming close at 55% - in the division above, against much better sides

Therefore not unreasonable to suggest it is likely we would have seen similar if McCarthy was in the dugout on Sunday - except for the fact we wouldn’t have been there in the first place of course

Why? We know McCarthy didn't play possession based football and of his last 8 games in charge the stats show that so why is it easy to suggest he would have achieved 60% possession?

You can't use the fact we're in a different division as a point either way. How each manager approaches games is the same no matter the oppo. Other than Gibraltar, ROI haven't achieved over 50% possession in any of their qualifying games.

And, i'd hardly call it an argument, i'm making a point that MM doesn't play possession based football. He plays percentages ie: get the ball in the opposition final third as quickly as possible.

Controversial post alert on 08:20 - Oct 25 with 3277 viewsitfcjoe

Controversial post alert on 07:59 - Oct 25 by Keaneish

Why? We know McCarthy didn't play possession based football and of his last 8 games in charge the stats show that so why is it easy to suggest he would have achieved 60% possession?

You can't use the fact we're in a different division as a point either way. How each manager approaches games is the same no matter the oppo. Other than Gibraltar, ROI haven't achieved over 50% possession in any of their qualifying games.

And, i'd hardly call it an argument, i'm making a point that MM doesn't play possession based football. He plays percentages ie: get the ball in the opposition final third as quickly as possible.

Possession is linked to the state of the game, if you are losing you generally have more possession as other team lets you have it - as Rotherham did on Weds night.

We currently are hitting more long balls than any one in the league (89 per game), in Mick's last season (17/18) we hit 85 a game which was second in the league to just Burton.

There are more short passes (323 vs 278) so obviously percentage wise is lower but we are still going long way too often

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Controversial post alert on 08:26 - Oct 25 with 3265 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Controversial post alert on 07:59 - Oct 25 by Keaneish

Noting that ‘Republic of Ireland haven’t had more than 50% possession apart from against Gibraltar’ is a very strange way of arguing that playing worse sides has no bearing in possession...

Controversial post alert on 08:27 - Oct 25 with 3261 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Controversial post alert on 07:54 - Oct 25 by Reuser_is_God

Micks budget was £9m more than Lamberts.

I don’t like using budgets as a barometer but Mick did so I guess it has to be taken into account here.

Lambert has a lower budget this season, but it is a far bigger budget in relative terms than we ever had under McCarthy, or indeed any manager since Keane in all probability

Ps. Hope you’re looking forward to getting panned for your joke in a certain other thread!!
[Post edited 25 Oct 2019 8:28]

Well it certainly didn't keep us up. (n/t) on 09:00 - Oct 25 with 3227 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Controversial post alert on 09:04 - Oct 25 with 3223 viewsNo9

Controversial post alert on 22:28 - Oct 23 by Moriarty

I think a big difference is that Mick knew what he was doing.

Did he?
Controversial post alert on 09:12 - Oct 25 with 3207 viewsKeaneish

Controversial post alert on 08:26 - Oct 25 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Noting that ‘Republic of Ireland haven’t had more than 50% possession apart from against Gibraltar’ is a very strange way of arguing that playing worse sides has no bearing in possession...

I'm not arguing that, i' arguing that typically Mick doesn't play possession based football as a philosophy. Mick likes t get the ball in the final third and defend from there. So, i think it unlikely, no matter what level he manages at, his philosophy and his approach will remain the same.

He tried to change it a few times with us but ultimately retreated to what he knows best. fair enough. Many felt it dated though.

Controversial post alert on 09:15 - Oct 25 with 3194 viewsKeaneish

Controversial post alert on 08:20 - Oct 25 by itfcjoe

Possession is linked to the state of the game, if you are losing you generally have more possession as other team lets you have it - as Rotherham did on Weds night.

We currently are hitting more long balls than any one in the league (89 per game), in Mick's last season (17/18) we hit 85 a game which was second in the league to just Burton.

There are more short passes (323 vs 278) so obviously percentage wise is lower but we are still going long way too often

Completely agree. The tactic typically seems to have been to play patient possession based football to draw them in and then look to counter. The problem on Wednesday night was that they outworked us and spoilt the possession and hustled us into making far too many long passes ala Chambers.

Its true that we have been going long too often. I expect this is because Jackson is lightening. Its an old age tactic that's served this club well ie: Kiwomya and Bent. I've got no scrupples about mixing it up as long as it doesn't become our only outlet.

Controversial post alert on 09:15 - Oct 25 with 3195 viewsPJH

True, but it sure as hell did not keep us up either.

I am still convinced that a different approach by PL or someone else could have kept us in The Championship.

Well at least we can enter the EFL Trophy now.
Well it certainly didn't keep us up. (n/t) on 09:17 - Oct 25 with 3193 viewsPJH

Well it certainly didn't keep us up. (n/t) on 09:00 - Oct 25 by Bloots

Just made a similar post but had not seen that you had already said it.
Controversial post alert on 09:20 - Oct 25 with 3188 viewsKeaneish

Controversial post alert on 16:45 - Oct 24 by Mullet

Mick never produced football this bad, mainly because he never got us relegated. However, I wonder if we are going to revisit those games where he won with almost 100% shot accuracy, but obviously didn't deserve to, cos errr well reasons.

There's nothing stopping Lambert emulating Mick here, but the whole club has gone so far backwards thanks to Hurst and Evans, he is still a long way off.

Being outplayed by Newcastle at their place is one thing, but having no outlets, no service and no organisation across the whole XI to Rotherham who have been weakened significantly thanks to relegation as some sort of fair comparison just doesn't work.

Mick never produced football this good either. Let's not gloss over the 26 pass move at Gillingham. Many of us wanted better football. It's pretty hard to argue with that goal as anecdotal as it might be and say we haven't made improvements in areas footballing wise no matter the debacle of the last week.

True we need to sustain that but a goal like that would never have happened under Mick. He'd have been screaming at someone to get the defence turned or to play it into the front man lng before Dozzell's pass.

Controversial post alert on 09:25 - Oct 25 with 3176 viewsSamWhiteUK

Controversial post alert on 09:04 - Oct 25 by No9

Did he?

Yes, he played crap football on purpose.
Controversial post alert on 09:55 - Oct 25 with 3152 viewshaynes_toe1

Lamberts "football" last season, extrapolated over the whole season, would have seen us relegated, no?
Controversial post alert on 10:21 - Oct 25 with 3136 viewsBrixtonBlue

Controversial post alert on 09:55 - Oct 25 by haynes_toe1

Lamberts "football" last season, extrapolated over the whole season, would have seen us relegated, no?

That's a stupid argument.

Controversial post alert on 10:23 - Oct 25 with 3128 viewsBrixtonBlue

Controversial post alert on 09:15 - Oct 25 by PJH

True, but it sure as hell did not keep us up either.

I am still convinced that a different approach by PL or someone else could have kept us in The Championship.

Well at least we can enter the EFL Trophy now.

We went down because of Hurst. No blame should lie at the door of whoever was to come in and deal with the sh!t show that was left.

It's also going to take a while to turn things around, so people bemoaning Lambert after 2 defeats are pathetic IMO.

Controversial post alert on 10:24 - Oct 25 with 3126 viewshaynes_toe1

Controversial post alert on 10:21 - Oct 25 by BrixtonBlue

That's a stupid argument.

Well it's the best evidence we have to go on. Lamberts football for us, in that league...we were dog awful couldnt score and couldnt defend. There were poor teams, with just as poor squads as ours who out performed us last season. Rotherham included.
Controversial post alert on 10:30 - Oct 25 with 3104 viewsartsbossbeard

Controversial post alert on 10:23 - Oct 25 by BrixtonBlue

We went down because of Hurst. No blame should lie at the door of whoever was to come in and deal with the sh!t show that was left.

It's also going to take a while to turn things around, so people bemoaning Lambert after 2 defeats are pathetic IMO.

Did you got to the game?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024