Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gwion 00:09 - Oct 27 with 8461 viewsOwainG1992

There were times last season he looked one of our best players.
He does have his quiet days but I'm surprised how poor hes looked when playing for us this season so far.
Was a player I expected big things from this season.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Gwion on 11:32 - Oct 27 with 3401 viewsGarv

Gwion on 06:56 - Oct 27 by Bluefish

He was crap last season too. Very much a Walcott type player that has made a career based on pace alone, his touch yesterday was abysmal. I said last season that he was a lot of our problem under Hurst, we were carrying him while he stood out on the touchline waiting until he could run fast. In my opinion we have so many wide/no 10 options that he is about 9th choice so hopefully we won't see him again
[Post edited 27 Oct 2019 6:57]

Joint top scorer?

One of the better ones of a bad bunch.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Gwion on 14:24 - Oct 27 with 3377 viewsBluefish

Gwion on 11:32 - Oct 27 by Garv

Joint top scorer?

One of the better ones of a bad bunch.

Do you really believe that makes him one of our better players? Would you ever judge people on what you see on the pitch over dodgy stats?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Gwion on 14:50 - Oct 27 with 3365 viewsMullet

Gwion on 09:11 - Oct 27 by Bluefish

The occasional flashes don't cancel out carrying him through games.

Totally agree. As with any player if Lambert is picking him regularly he should be getting the most out of him.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Gwion on 22:22 - Oct 27 with 3313 viewsMrTown

Dont see the negativity surrounding Gwion. I understand we like a scapegoat but I wasn’t watching him Saturday thinking you’re horrendous.

Can’t see it I’m afraid.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2019 22:33]

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Gwion on 22:30 - Oct 27 with 3307 viewsBluefish

Gwion on 22:22 - Oct 27 by MrTown

Dont see the negativity surrounding Gwion. I understand we like a scapegoat but I wasn’t watching him Saturday thinking you’re horrendous.

Can’t see it I’m afraid.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2019 22:33]

I've been thinking it and saying it for about a year. He isn't a footballer, I said similar about lee martin and tamas priskin and some wanted to argue that constantly as well

Gwion on 22:33 - Oct 27 with 3298 viewsMrTown

Gwion on 22:30 - Oct 27 by Bluefish

I've been thinking it and saying it for about a year. He isn't a footballer, I said similar about lee martin and tamas priskin and some wanted to argue that constantly as well

What do you mean he’s not a footballer?

My point is why the negativity towards him. It was the exact same with Judge

Gwion on 02:50 - Oct 28 with 3258 viewsharlingblue

Not doing it for Town this season, lightweight in defending, and not creating or scoring,
one for the bench at the moment? Rowe, fighting for his place perhaps, but adding more to his game? both have much to do?
Gwion on 08:01 - Oct 28 with 3215 viewsBluefish

Gwion on 22:33 - Oct 27 by MrTown

What do you mean he’s not a footballer?

My point is why the negativity towards him. It was the exact same with Judge

Footballers can naturally do the footballing aspects of the game ie. Control the ball properly, pass, tackle etc. Gwion is a pro just because he can run fast. If he lost his pace he would genuinely struggle to get a game at thurlow nunn level
[Post edited 28 Oct 2019 8:06]

Login to get fewer ads

Gwion on 08:32 - Oct 28 with 3192 viewsGeoffSentence

Gwion on 08:01 - Oct 28 by Bluefish

Footballers can naturally do the footballing aspects of the game ie. Control the ball properly, pass, tackle etc. Gwion is a pro just because he can run fast. If he lost his pace he would genuinely struggle to get a game at thurlow nunn level

He has a bit more than that, he undoubtedly has some skill, that flick against Blackburn on his debut was sublime, and he has a goal or two in him. My concern about GE is that he is a bit lightweight and gets knocked off the ball too much. If he could build up a bit more upper body strength he would be fine.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Gwion on 08:54 - Oct 28 with 3177 viewsMrTown

Gwion on 08:01 - Oct 28 by Bluefish

Oh come on, really?

He is a bit of flair player, I'm not really sure what he is doing drastically wrong that everyone else is seeing.

Gwion on 09:01 - Oct 28 with 3169 viewsBluefish

Gwion on 08:54 - Oct 28 by MrTown

Oh come on, really?

He is a bit of flair player, I'm not really sure what he is doing drastically wrong that everyone else is seeing.

Yes he is a flair player simply because he runs fast. He could have moments in a team where the 10 other players are there to carry him and allow him to run fast and score every now and again. He is not good enough to be that player for us so we shouldn't be carrying him. As I said before it is just like Walcott, Arsenal didn't want to let go because he can have moments but carrying him for so long as their flair player harmed them in the long run. The enormous gaps in the Hurst side were due to Edwards spectating from so far out on the right touchline.

Gwion on 09:04 - Oct 28 with 3161 viewsDarth_Koont

He's hugely frustrating. In an otherwise pretty ropy performance his touch past the Southend midfielder on the outside then cut inside and curler just past the far post was probably the best single thing anyone did in the game.

But think he's another player who hasn't found his feet in the formation. Not only that but he's been playing everywhere from left-side wing back to right-wing.

He has a knack of popping up in the box and scoring but seems to be too far back this season. So, I wonder if his best position is as a wide attacker in a front three. In fact, doesn't a 433 work better for us as a team given our narrow midfielders and no obvious choice of an LM or RM?

Pronouns: He/Him

Gwion on 09:18 - Oct 28 with 3127 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Gwion on 09:01 - Oct 28 by Bluefish

Yes he is a flair player simply because he runs fast. He could have moments in a team where the 10 other players are there to carry him and allow him to run fast and score every now and again. He is not good enough to be that player for us so we shouldn't be carrying him. As I said before it is just like Walcott, Arsenal didn't want to let go because he can have moments but carrying him for so long as their flair player harmed them in the long run. The enormous gaps in the Hurst side were due to Edwards spectating from so far out on the right touchline.

Have you considered that our equal top scorer last season was keeping out wide because that’s what the manager asked him to do?

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Gwion on 09:21 - Oct 28 with 3128 viewsitfcjoe

He looks a player low on confidence - his touch constantly lets him down and he is just so weak at times.

Body position poor and allows him to get outmuscled so easily.

He looked the pick of the 'Paul Hurst Lower League Allstars' at this time last season but is just not playing well at all.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Gwion on 09:24 - Oct 28 with 3124 viewsitfcjoe

Gwion on 10:23 - Oct 27 by Garv

I think if Martin had been a free transfer he'd be viewed as being a useful player but ultimately not good enough. Sadly he didn't cost us nothing.

Struggled massively in his first year, went to Charlton and got some form, came back and played behind Chopra and did well for a spell, scored some goals. He also played a fair few games under Mick during the survival season.

I agree, I made him player of the season that year as don't like to give it to a loanee who has played 15 games in Bullard, and he was the catalyst for making things work that year.

A large price to pay overall for that season, but even when Mick came in he started him nearly every week - his career could have gone very differently here had he played in a central role

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Gwion on 09:25 - Oct 28 with 3121 viewsBluefish

Gwion on 09:18 - Oct 28 by WestStanderLaLaLa

Have you considered that our equal top scorer last season was keeping out wide because that’s what the manager asked him to do?

Have you considered that trying to justify a player as good because they were equal top scorer in a team that used about 8 different forwards and finished rock bottom is a bit silly? Claus Thomsen finished joint top scorer once but it didn't justify his position in an attacking role or to carry him in the team

Gwion on 09:27 - Oct 28 with 3121 viewsPJH

Gwion on 09:21 - Oct 28 by itfcjoe

He looks a player low on confidence - his touch constantly lets him down and he is just so weak at times.

Body position poor and allows him to get outmuscled so easily.

He looked the pick of the 'Paul Hurst Lower League Allstars' at this time last season but is just not playing well at all.

This time last year he did look the best of Hurst's signings although that is not saying much.

They had all supposed to have been good lower league players although even now only Jackson and Nolan are proving to be so,don't know how Harrison is doing.
Gwion on 09:36 - Oct 28 with 3108 viewsDyland

Gwion on 08:54 - Oct 28 by MrTown

Oh come on, really?

He looked like a lower tier flair player last season, sure. This season he has been poor. I think the criticism is also in part due to the belief we have better options in the burgeoning midfield squad, but in reality we don't have much out wide.

As others have commented previously or intimated in this thread, if Edwards and/or Rowe are getting starts ahead of other players you do have to question either the actual squad depth, or Lambert's nous, or both.

Jury is out, as most sensible fans keep saying. Giving the benefit of the doubt is still easy (league position), but Lambert has been here a year now and whilst much of it has been a free hit (to me anyway) as we go into winter I'd really, really like to see a consistent team and formation etc. cos yeh we have good players but they aren't that good for a total football play wherever and do whatever approach.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Gwion on 09:37 - Oct 28 with 3107 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Gwion on 09:25 - Oct 28 by Bluefish

Have you considered that trying to justify a player as good because they were equal top scorer in a team that used about 8 different forwards and finished rock bottom is a bit silly? Claus Thomsen finished joint top scorer once but it didn't justify his position in an attacking role or to carry him in the team

where did I say he was good? I remember Claus as one of the better players in a poor team, hardly carried him.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Gwion on 09:44 - Oct 28 with 3101 viewsBluefish

Gwion on 09:37 - Oct 28 by WestStanderLaLaLa

where did I say he was good? I remember Claus as one of the better players in a poor team, hardly carried him.

What were you saying then?

Claus was a good player but the goals did little to prove that

Gwion on 09:46 - Oct 28 with 3100 viewsMrTown

Gwion on 09:36 - Oct 28 by Dyland

He looked like a lower tier flair player last season, sure. This season he has been poor. I think the criticism is also in part due to the belief we have better options in the burgeoning midfield squad, but in reality we don't have much out wide.

As others have commented previously or intimated in this thread, if Edwards and/or Rowe are getting starts ahead of other players you do have to question either the actual squad depth, or Lambert's nous, or both.

Jury is out, as most sensible fans keep saying. Giving the benefit of the doubt is still easy (league position), but Lambert has been here a year now and whilst much of it has been a free hit (to me anyway) as we go into winter I'd really, really like to see a consistent team and formation etc. cos yeh we have good players but they aren't that good for a total football play wherever and do whatever approach.

Obviously fans see different things, it is the beauty of the game. I was just saying for me I think he is a player a little bit low on confidence, but his performances aren't as drastically bad as people on here have made out.

In regards to Lambert, needs to stick to what has served us well. Consistent 4-4-2, with player rotation to keep squad fresh going into the winter will serve us well.

Don't want him to tinker with silly formations for unnecessary reasons. Hopefully he has learnt that from last week.

Gwion on 09:57 - Oct 28 with 3090 viewsBluefish

Gwion on 09:46 - Oct 28 by MrTown

Obviously fans see different things, it is the beauty of the game. I was just saying for me I think he is a player a little bit low on confidence, but his performances aren't as drastically bad as people on here have made out.

In regards to Lambert, needs to stick to what has served us well. Consistent 4-4-2, with player rotation to keep squad fresh going into the winter will serve us well.

Don't want him to tinker with silly formations for unnecessary reasons. Hopefully he has learnt that from last week.

Surely you can see that he hasn't played well for 12 months now and is struggling badly. His first touch is abysmal, his tackling is a liability, he is poor in the air and he struggles to keep the ball under control when running

Not sure what else there is to say on it

Gwion on 09:58 - Oct 28 with 3085 viewsPJH

Gwion on 09:57 - Oct 28 by Bluefish

Surely you can see that he hasn't played well for 12 months now and is struggling badly. His first touch is abysmal, his tackling is a liability, he is poor in the air and he struggles to keep the ball under control when running

Not sure what else there is to say on it

He runs quite fast sometimes.
Gwion on 10:10 - Oct 28 with 3068 viewsDyland

Gwion on 09:46 - Oct 28 by MrTown

Fans seeing different things really isn't the beauty of the game at all, especially when they are very vocal and talking absolute sh1te.

At least your rubbish interpretation of what you're watching is in praise of a player not playing well, rather than the more usual from our fans which is the other way round ;)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024