Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Qn for Twtd cyclists 10:08 - Oct 29 with 2021 viewsbluelagos

Trying to step up a bit from 2-3 15 milers a week, so Sunday I did a 25 miler, yesterday a 30 miler with some (for Anglia) hardish climbs in there. Think I did 650 ft of climbing each day..

Went out this morning and my legs feel proper fcked, so headed home early. Is this my body telling me to have a day off? Or is this normal - something to push through?

Cheers.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Qn for Twtd cyclists on 10:21 - Oct 29 with 1984 viewsEwan_Oozami

Always give your body time to rest - at least two rest days per week, maybe three if you're doing hi intensity or long distance stuff. Also, proper hydration (yes, even in this weather!), staying warm and proper nutrition- before, during and after a ride - protein drinks are good for recovery.

I'm assuming the bike's set up right and you don't get any aches and pains from your 15 milers? Is it a road bike, or a hybrid or MTB?

One thing you can do if pushed for time, is to do say a 10 miler (either flat or with some hills) at a higher intensity than normal, get some power into the legs.

Also, if you are going to climb on a long ride, use a lower gear than you would normally expect to use, this gives the legs a chance to recover - if you're climbing on a shorter high intensity ride, use the highest gear you can get away with.

Most important things though are recovery, hydration and nutrition - oh, and a good pair of padded shorts or leggings!!!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Qn for Twtd cyclists on 10:27 - Oct 29 with 1973 viewsbluelagos

Qn for Twtd cyclists on 10:21 - Oct 29 by Ewan_Oozami

Always give your body time to rest - at least two rest days per week, maybe three if you're doing hi intensity or long distance stuff. Also, proper hydration (yes, even in this weather!), staying warm and proper nutrition- before, during and after a ride - protein drinks are good for recovery.

I'm assuming the bike's set up right and you don't get any aches and pains from your 15 milers? Is it a road bike, or a hybrid or MTB?

One thing you can do if pushed for time, is to do say a 10 miler (either flat or with some hills) at a higher intensity than normal, get some power into the legs.

Also, if you are going to climb on a long ride, use a lower gear than you would normally expect to use, this gives the legs a chance to recover - if you're climbing on a shorter high intensity ride, use the highest gear you can get away with.

Most important things though are recovery, hydration and nutrition - oh, and a good pair of padded shorts or leggings!!!

Cheers

No aches or pains. Happy that I am properly hydrated / fueled. Feel fine as in I have energy - just not in the legs - on the hiills.

So am thinking it's like the muscles in my legs need more strength. Bit like going to a gym and working out - best rest the muscles before going again or push through and they will build up?

Qn for Twtd cyclists on 10:38 - Oct 29 with 1942 viewsEwan_Oozami

Qn for Twtd cyclists on 10:27 - Oct 29 by bluelagos

Cheers

No aches or pains. Happy that I am properly hydrated / fueled. Feel fine as in I have energy - just not in the legs - on the hiills.

So am thinking it's like the muscles in my legs need more strength. Bit like going to a gym and working out - best rest the muscles before going again or push through and they will build up?

Give them rest, I'd say - hill climbing is a very particular part of cycling - I'm certainly not a fast powerful rider in Time Trials or cyclo-cross, but I can go up slopes and hills almost as quick as people who are much faster than me on the flat. I have the right leg muscles and cardio profile apparently!

However, if you want to get better and improve your technique at hill climbing (as opposed to just getting to the top), whether short and steep or long drags or a combination, there really is no substitute for training on hills, ie, going up and down them till you can barely get home. Leg presses in the gym will certainly help (as will roller or ice skating, if you're into that!), but it's the combination of your personal technique (low gear, high revs, less muscle strength or higher gear, lower revs, more muscle strength) and cardio capability that'll get you up them quicker - and only by specific hill climb training will you find your favoured method!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Qn for Twtd cyclists on 10:41 - Oct 29 with 1932 viewsblueislander

The best piece of advice I can offer is that when cycling you avoid Facters at all cost..
Qn for Twtd cyclists on 10:42 - Oct 29 with 1931 viewsagravenor

Qn for Twtd cyclists on 10:27 - Oct 29 by bluelagos

Cheers

Recovery is a key part of allowing muscles to grow. Have a day or two off, sounds like your body is telling you to. Perhaps do 20min or so of stretching out instead

Nutrition after workout especially important for quick muscular recovery. Get some good carbs and proteins in straight after your workouts/rides
Qn for Twtd cyclists on 10:45 - Oct 29 with 1910 viewsartsbossbeard

Rest up.

Road bike? Hybrid? MTB?

Download strava (other apps avaialble) and pick 1x hill to gauge as part of your ride and route. Analyse your times up that hill over a few rides and work out what works best for you - whether low gears straight off, or attacking the hill from well before the incline, in or out of the saddle and stick with it. No shame in resting up the top by slowing spinning the wheels for a couple of miles.

Go to a spin class or two also, they'll help you with leg load and leg speed.

Yours
L Armstrong.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Qn for Twtd cyclists on 10:47 - Oct 29 with 1892 viewsBasuco

You will notice that the more miles you do the longer it will take you to get going each ride, so take the first 5 miles gently, two days out a week rest would be good but not ride 5 then 2 off the bike. Winter riding is very important to add strength and pedaling technique so keep going as much as possible until the weather really turns nasty. Always keep the arms and legs covered and warm below 12C as well. Cold weather also adds considerably to getting the legs going on a ride. A good old school winter riding tip is to put a sheet of newspaper under your top to cover your chest to keep warm, you can remove it if you start to get too warm and replace it if you cool down. Enjoy.
Qn for Twtd cyclists on 10:54 - Oct 29 with 1868 viewsartsbossbeard

Qn for Twtd cyclists on 10:47 - Oct 29 by Basuco

You will notice that the more miles you do the longer it will take you to get going each ride, so take the first 5 miles gently, two days out a week rest would be good but not ride 5 then 2 off the bike. Winter riding is very important to add strength and pedaling technique so keep going as much as possible until the weather really turns nasty. Always keep the arms and legs covered and warm below 12C as well. Cold weather also adds considerably to getting the legs going on a ride. A good old school winter riding tip is to put a sheet of newspaper under your top to cover your chest to keep warm, you can remove it if you start to get too warm and replace it if you cool down. Enjoy.

Always the toes with me. Shoe covers don't do it for me...

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Login to get fewer ads

Qn for Twtd cyclists on 11:05 - Oct 29 with 1848 viewsBasuco

Qn for Twtd cyclists on 10:54 - Oct 29 by artsbossbeard

Always the toes with me. Shoe covers don't do it for me...

Oh yes, even today's overshoes are not 100% great, loosen the shoes slightly to allow blood flow helps and regular toe wiggling as well. Back in the late 70's early 80's before overshoes were thought of I have struggled to walk after a 6 - 8 hour ride on a frosty day, the worst was a 100 plus mile ride when the temperature did not go above freezing all day and it was foggy. Nine hours in the saddle, that hurt a bit.
Qn for Twtd cyclists on 11:10 - Oct 29 with 1841 viewsartsbossbeard

Qn for Twtd cyclists on 11:05 - Oct 29 by Basuco

Oh yes, even today's overshoes are not 100% great, loosen the shoes slightly to allow blood flow helps and regular toe wiggling as well. Back in the late 70's early 80's before overshoes were thought of I have struggled to walk after a 6 - 8 hour ride on a frosty day, the worst was a 100 plus mile ride when the temperature did not go above freezing all day and it was foggy. Nine hours in the saddle, that hurt a bit.

Ouch!

I've got one of those Bluetooth turbo trainers sat in my Amazon basket right now...I'm seriously considering hitting the "Buy Now" button..

Qn for Twtd cyclists on 12:45 - Oct 29 with 1758 viewsdavblue

Qn for Twtd cyclists on 11:10 - Oct 29 by artsbossbeard

Ouch!

I've got one of those Bluetooth turbo trainers sat in my Amazon basket right now...I'm seriously considering hitting the "Buy Now" button..

Do you fancy getting me one also?
I done a ride on Sunday morning and that felt really cold, doing it in the middle of winter isn't one im looking forward to!

I started cycling properly in the last 2 months, i've already upgraded my bike from an entry level bike as i've got into it and really enjoy it. Good for fitness, getting some peace and quiet for a few hours also.
Qn for Twtd cyclists on 12:46 - Oct 29 with 1749 viewsdavblue

Qn for Twtd cyclists on 10:45 - Oct 29 by artsbossbeard

Rest up.

Road bike? Hybrid? MTB?

Download strava (other apps avaialble) and pick 1x hill to gauge as part of your ride and route. Analyse your times up that hill over a few rides and work out what works best for you - whether low gears straight off, or attacking the hill from well before the incline, in or out of the saddle and stick with it. No shame in resting up the top by slowing spinning the wheels for a couple of miles.

Go to a spin class or two also, they'll help you with leg load and leg speed.

Yours
L Armstrong.

what about some 'enhancements' lance?
Qn for Twtd cyclists on 12:53 - Oct 29 with 1728 viewsartsbossbeard

Qn for Twtd cyclists on 12:46 - Oct 29 by davblue

what about some 'enhancements' lance?

Coffee and a slice of cake at an en-route café?

Qn for Twtd cyclists on 12:57 - Oct 29 with 1718 viewsCrawfordsboot

Hi Lagos
You are welcome to come and try it in the alps any time you fancy.

I am doing a bit these days. Top tips are:

Get some mountain bike clip in shoes and clip in pedals. They give a much more sold base to pedaling and MB shoes clip in but allow you to walk comfortably.

Don’t wear underpants under your padded shorts!

I’m trying to picture you in Lycra..😧

D
Qn for Twtd cyclists on 13:05 - Oct 29 with 1702 viewsTractorJed

Build slowly over a period, avoid junk miles, one or two rest days, consider recovery rides.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 13:05]
Qn for Twtd cyclists on 13:08 - Oct 29 with 1686 viewsCrawfordsboot

Qn for Twtd cyclists on 12:57 - Oct 29 by Crawfordsboot

Hi Lagos
You are welcome to come and try it in the alps any time you fancy.

I am doing a bit these days. Top tips are:

Get some mountain bike clip in shoes and clip in pedals. They give a much more sold base to pedaling and MB shoes clip in but allow you to walk comfortably.

Don’t wear underpants under your padded shorts!

I’m trying to picture you in Lycra..😧

D

Lagos
Actually absolute top tip for you and me both for better and easier climbing is to lose a few kilos

There’s a reason Froome is built like he is
Qn for Twtd cyclists on 13:09 - Oct 29 with 1682 viewsTractorWood

Listen to your body. 650ft isn't much. 3,000ft is a decent spin 7,000ft is a proper tough day with categorised climbs. Which climbs did you do?

Hartest hill in Hartest (obv) and Primrose Hill in Moulton are probably the best climbs in Suffolk.

As someone says above, climbing is super tough, no shame in a few days rest. The problem with cycling is that when the weather is good, it's too tempting.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 13:13]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Qn for Twtd cyclists on 14:12 - Oct 29 with 1642 viewsbluelagos

Thx for all the tips/ comments.

Qn for Twtd cyclists on 14:14 - Oct 29 with 1636 viewsbluelagos

Qn for Twtd cyclists on 13:08 - Oct 29 by Crawfordsboot

Lagos
Actually absolute top tip for you and me both for better and easier climbing is to lose a few kilos

There’s a reason Froome is built like he is

Mate - I've lost a shed load of kilos since I last saw you :-) Few more to go but well on the way.

Saw your son/grandson last week. The apple didn't fall far from the tree there did it!

Qn for Twtd cyclists on 14:20 - Oct 29 with 1630 viewsbluelagos

Qn for Twtd cyclists on 13:09 - Oct 29 by TractorWood

Listen to your body. 650ft isn't much. 3,000ft is a decent spin 7,000ft is a proper tough day with categorised climbs. Which climbs did you do?

Hartest hill in Hartest (obv) and Primrose Hill in Moulton are probably the best climbs in Suffolk.

As someone says above, climbing is super tough, no shame in a few days rest. The problem with cycling is that when the weather is good, it's too tempting.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 13:13]

Did the road to Brantham from Stutton both ways. Also Mill Hill (nr Dedham) and there's a tasty one out of Stratford towards Holten st Mary.

Think the biggest individual one in 200 off ft. Just checked and looks like I did 1000 ft ascent yesterday. Also did it all on a MTB - with thick tyres so that means it harder too.

Bought a decent road bike but leaving it til the spring - need to sort out some proper tyres / better seat according to the forums...

Qn for Twtd cyclists on 15:09 - Oct 29 with 1591 viewsTractorWood

Qn for Twtd cyclists on 14:20 - Oct 29 by bluelagos

Did the road to Brantham from Stutton both ways. Also Mill Hill (nr Dedham) and there's a tasty one out of Stratford towards Holten st Mary.

Think the biggest individual one in 200 off ft. Just checked and looks like I did 1000 ft ascent yesterday. Also did it all on a MTB - with thick tyres so that means it harder too.

Bought a decent road bike but leaving it til the spring - need to sort out some proper tyres / better seat according to the forums...

Nice. Saddle is personal preference. For pedals I'd go with these https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-r550-spd-sl-road-pedals/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=

For tyres the standard is these for best of everything https://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-grand-prix-4-season-folding-road-tyre/

Feel free to PM me. I've lots of bike experience from TT to Brompton so should be able point you in the direction.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 15:11]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Qn for Twtd cyclists on 15:16 - Oct 29 with 1575 viewsMeadowlark

I cycled Sweffling to Lowestoft on Sunday. 32 miles. 7 pubs. Lovely day for it!
Qn for Twtd cyclists on 17:25 - Oct 29 with 1535 viewsCoastalblue

What you need is a bit of traing with Feargal, you'll be pedalling across continents in no time flat.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024