Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting thread re the General Election 15:19 - Oct 29 with 6934 viewsitfcjoe

By Glen O'hara on Twitter @gsoh31

Really think the Tories are in the midst of the most terrible error. Huge risks in a GE. Remainers' last chance - they may well coalesce around Labour, and vote tactically.

Corbyn the campaigner. Just like in 2017, they're riding to his rescue when he's at his lowest ebb. He wants to get out and give speeches about austerity. It will re-energise him. They've got him hemmed in, and they're about to let him out of his box.

SNP and Lib Dem risk. Tories may do better in Scotland than they fear, but they're going to lose at least 5, maybe up to 10/11 seats there - and c15-20 in suburban London/ England to the LDs.

Sticky Labour voters. As soon as the GE is announced, Lab numbers will rise as d/k and won't vote return 'home'. And are the people of Wrexham, Blackpool, Grimsby really going to compensate BoJo for losing 30 seats to SNP/ LD? I doubt it.

Labour campaigning. The public like nationalisation and the abolition of tuition fees. Yes #Brexit election, but those policies will now get another airing. And 400k+ members will make a splash.

Huge uncertainty. Look at any proper evidence, and it says 'the public don't know what to think'. Massive % of don't know. You're about to force them to decide. I'm willing to bet that a pretty detested ten-year-old govt won't come off well.

This is the *classic* bully's error - overconfidence, sloppiness, lack of empathy, failure to prepare, big picture guff. I have to say that I don't give the Tories more than a 30%, 40% chance of holding on.

Think it's quite interesting, Tories will have to win a majority to stay in Government and can anyone see anything but a Hung parliament? Some sort of Labour, Lib Dem, SNP, Green 'Progressive Coalition' could get the numbers and then we are in a much better position

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Interesting thread re the General Election on 22:37 - Oct 29 with 716 viewsStokieBlue

Interesting thread re the General Election on 21:49 - Oct 29 by sparks

Of course there is an arbitrary element. But at 18 a person leaves education and starts to earn a living or moves to higher education, usually away from home.

There is a clear and obvious reason to make that the demarcation.

That's not entirely true. Not all people leave education at 18 or go onto higher education.

In our circles that isn't the case but for many people they might have been paying tax for 2 years by the time they reach your education based demarcation.

You are also disregarding the intelligence and maturity of many studying A-levels. It's a historic demarcation rather than a logical one. Many policies enacted when they are 16 could have huge consequences further down the line.

I'm not saying it should be immediately bought in but to dismiss it entirely seems illogical.

SB
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 22:39]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Interesting thread re the General Election on 22:42 - Oct 29 with 699 viewssparks

Interesting thread re the General Election on 22:37 - Oct 29 by StokieBlue

That's not entirely true. Not all people leave education at 18 or go onto higher education.

In our circles that isn't the case but for many people they might have been paying tax for 2 years by the time they reach your education based demarcation.

You are also disregarding the intelligence and maturity of many studying A-levels. It's a historic demarcation rather than a logical one. Many policies enacted when they are 16 could have huge consequences further down the line.

I'm not saying it should be immediately bought in but to dismiss it entirely seems illogical.

SB
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 22:39]

You can't work full time at 16 except as an apprentice or similar.

It's historic but remains the most logical. The vast majority of 16 year olds are still very much within parents sphere of influence and protection.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Interesting thread re the General Election on 22:44 - Oct 29 with 697 viewsfooters

Interesting thread re the General Election on 22:36 - Oct 29 by sparks

Nonsense.

16 year olds can't leave education completely anymore.

They can't go into combat inn the army.

Things rarely end well when they start families. Though good luck to those that do irrespective of intent.

It is a fact that most 16 year olds have not even begun to live under their own steam or even away from home. We need some sort of demarcation. That is surely significant in terms of insight into voting.

Otherwise why 16 instead of 14? Or perhaps 12?

Oh ok then.

So now we're back to your perception of experience.

Let's raise it to 30. Unless you've worked at least a decade, you're unqualified. Many bumps in the road, and unless you've experienced them all you're unqualified to vote.

16-year-olds have the cognitive ability to make political decisions, regardless of your perception of 'experience'. I went on my first demo when I was 12. That you seek to infantilise these young adults who society already grants many abilities to speaks more to your odd worldview than their abilities.

Your silly attempt at reductio ad absurdum is a reason I'd never instruct you as legal counsel. Unless you were offering a severely heavy discount. In which case, I still would rather self-represent ;)

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Interesting thread re the General Election on 22:49 - Oct 29 with 690 viewsClapham_Junction

Interesting thread re the General Election on 22:25 - Oct 29 by Herbivore

Brexitbot is here, right on cue.

"Support Boris 100%"
Interesting thread re the General Election on 08:56 - Oct 30 with 620 viewsfactual_blue

Interesting thread re the General Election on 22:49 - Oct 29 by Clapham_Junction

"Support Boris 100%"

boris deserves less support than he gave Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Interesting thread re the General Election on 09:09 - Oct 30 with 605 viewsfactual_blue

Interesting thread re the General Election on 22:27 - Oct 29 by footers

Sweet. So £350m extra for the NHS? Or was that just an aspiration?

17.4 million people had no idea what they were voting for. Time for a second referendum.

At least 16.4 million thought they were voting to send people of colour 'back to where they came from'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Interesting thread re the General Election on 09:12 - Oct 30 with 599 viewsgiant_stow

Interesting thread re the General Election on 09:09 - Oct 30 by factual_blue

At least 16.4 million thought they were voting to send people of colour 'back to where they came from'.

Chuckle, steady Mr, you'll upset them again

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024