Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is this anti-semmitic or simply poor judgement? 10:21 - Nov 21 with 1207 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Today's 10-pager or do they have to involve Corbyn?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/extinction-rebellion-co-founder-sparks-out

I don't think his intent was to downplay the holocaust but rather to point out the atrocities on a mass scale that we are all too quick to gloss over. "The extremity of a trauma can create a paralysis in actually learning the lessons from it".

I agree he needed to be far more careful over his phraseology because I can see why it has been taken as downplaying the holocaust. However, I think he is saying the holocaust was a terrible evil perpetrated by people who were evil beyond imagination but isn't he saying this is the case with others too?

"I want to fully acknowledge the unimaginable suffering caused by the Nazi Holocaust that led to all of Europe saying 'never again'.
"But it is happening again, on a far greater scale and in plain sight. The global north is pumping lethal levels of CO2 into the atmosphere and simultaneously erecting ever greater barriers to immigration, turning whole regions of the world into death zones. That is the grim reality."
"We are allowing our governments to willingly, and in full knowledge of the science, engage in genocide of our young people and those in the global south by refusing to take emergency action to reduce carbon emissions,"

If climate predictions are correct we are not turning a blind eye to the same evil as the holocaust but we are turning a blind eye to something that will kill people on a similarly unimaginable scale.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Is this anti-semmitic or simply poor judgement? on 10:41 - Nov 21 with 1160 viewscaught-in-limbo

I'll bite.

I expect very few of you to agree with me over this:

I think this is clever marketing by the very well funded global movement XR.

The intention of this news piece is to equate climate change with the holocaust both in terms of its horrific consequences and the ability to debate it.

It's true, mankind is responsible for an atrocious level of pollution on the planet but there is a very powerful pro-globalist agenda behind XR and the concerns about the welfare of the planet and normal people are very dubious.

There you go, that should take it to 20 pages... but I'm ducking out of this thread now.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2019 10:51]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Is this anti-semmitic or simply poor judgement? on 10:45 - Nov 21 with 1146 viewsRyorry

Crass, stupid, insensitive; but I don't have time for a 10-pager!

There was an OP by Sparks yesterday pointing to clear racism within the Con party, but DK & myself were the only people who replied.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Is this anti-semmitic or simply poor judgement? on 10:51 - Nov 21 with 1126 viewsBLUEBEAT

Poor form to use this dark chapter of human history as a levelling stick but it is not anti-Semitic.

Poll: W or W

Is this anti-semmitic or simply poor judgement? on 10:53 - Nov 21 with 1124 viewsStokieBlue

Is this anti-semmitic or simply poor judgement? on 10:41 - Nov 21 by caught-in-limbo

I'll bite.

I expect very few of you to agree with me over this:

I think this is clever marketing by the very well funded global movement XR.

The intention of this news piece is to equate climate change with the holocaust both in terms of its horrific consequences and the ability to debate it.

It's true, mankind is responsible for an atrocious level of pollution on the planet but there is a very powerful pro-globalist agenda behind XR and the concerns about the welfare of the planet and normal people are very dubious.

There you go, that should take it to 20 pages... but I'm ducking out of this thread now.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2019 10:51]

He's got a new book out.

I don't think we need to look any further than that.

I hope it's Kindle only though otherwise wanting people to buy his book might conflict with his "deeply held views".....

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Is this anti-semmitic or simply poor judgement? on 10:58 - Nov 21 with 1108 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Is this anti-semmitic or simply poor judgement? on 10:53 - Nov 21 by StokieBlue

He's got a new book out.

I hope it's Kindle only though otherwise wanting people to buy his book might conflict with his "deeply held views".....

SB

I think the fact the publisher has pulled it due to his comments days before it goes on sale means it won't be on either - even more environmentally friendly.

Is this anti-semmitic or simply poor judgement? on 11:04 - Nov 21 with 1095 viewsStokieBlue

Is this anti-semmitic or simply poor judgement? on 10:58 - Nov 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

I think the fact the publisher has pulled it due to his comments days before it goes on sale means it won't be on either - even more environmentally friendly.

Oh! I didn't know that - I only read the Guardian article yesterday on it.

SB

Is this anti-semmitic or simply poor judgement? on 11:06 - Nov 21 with 1092 viewsDubtractor

Is this anti-semmitic or simply poor judgement? on 10:53 - Nov 21 by StokieBlue

He's got a new book out.

SB

Arguably paper is more environmentally friendly than a short lived electronic device. Ideally it would be printed on recycled paper mind you.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Is this anti-semmitic or simply poor judgement? on 11:11 - Nov 21 with 1087 viewsMeadowlark

Is this anti-semmitic or simply poor judgement? on 10:45 - Nov 21 by Ryorry

There was an OP by Sparks yesterday pointing to clear racism within the Con party, but DK & myself were the only people who replied.

That's just because everyone knows Tories are racists, so it's not a story. Trying to pin a racist label on the Labour Party is clearly a long term Tory policy that they won't let go...
Login to get fewer ads

Is this anti-semmitic or simply poor judgement? on 11:14 - Nov 21 with 1076 viewsStokieBlue

Is this anti-semmitic or simply poor judgement? on 11:06 - Nov 21 by Dubtractor

Arguably paper is more environmentally friendly than a short lived electronic device. Ideally it would be printed on recycled paper mind you.

Are you sure about that?

It's an old study but if you read 22.5 books over 4 years then the Kindle is better. Obviously any books above 22.5 or longer usage than 4 years increases the benefit:

https://gizmodo.com/kindle-is-more-environmentally-friendly-than-old-school-5348

SB

Is this anti-semmitic or simply poor judgement? on 11:20 - Nov 21 with 1060 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Is this anti-semmitic or simply poor judgement? on 11:14 - Nov 21 by StokieBlue

Are you sure about that?

It's an old study but if you read 22.5 books over 4 years then the Kindle is better. Obviously any books above 22.5 or longer usage than 4 years increases the benefit:

https://gizmodo.com/kindle-is-more-environmentally-friendly-than-old-school-5348

SB

"Despite the manufacturing and mining process being taken into account". Sounds like a comprehensive unbiased study.

It would need to factor in what percentage of devices get recycled, how the rest are disposed of and the outcome for books too, along with multiple readership including library use.

I suspect the number of books read per year and lifetime is probably in that ball park but being it is quoted by Amazon may well be higher.

Is this anti-semmitic or simply poor judgement? on 11:58 - Nov 21 with 1021 viewsDarth_Koont

I think it's unnecessary and offensive. And even if the goal is to raise the stakes and increase the profile, I don't think it's ultimately helpful either.

The contexts are just too different and deeply personal and cultural to be equated in this way.

Pronouns: He/Him

Is this anti-semmitic or simply poor judgement? on 13:36 - Nov 21 with 981 viewsBigManBlue

Everything from "The global north..." onwards, fine. The comparison beforehand is unnecessary and unhelpful - only ever going to cause genuine offence with some and give others a reason to argue with the point trying to be made.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Is this anti-semmitic or simply poor judgement? on 13:47 - Nov 21 with 971 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is this anti-semmitic or simply poor judgement? on 10:45 - Nov 21 by Ryorry

Completely agree with your first line.

I didn't see Sparks thread but I would imagine the lack of contribution is because there wasn't a succession of Tory supporters lining up to excuse or defend any of the examples he may have put forward.

We had a similar thread about two Tory candidates suspended this week for making antisemitic comments. They weren't defended or excused by anyone.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Is this anti-semmitic or simply poor judgement? on 19:23 - Nov 21 with 894 viewsjaykay

Is this anti-semmitic or simply poor judgement? on 13:47 - Nov 21 by GlasgowBlue

Completely agree with your first line.

I didn't see Sparks thread but I would imagine the lack of contribution is because there wasn't a succession of Tory supporters lining up to excuse or defend any of the examples he may have put forward.

We had a similar thread about two Tory candidates suspended this week for making antisemitic comments. They weren't defended or excused by anyone.

you didnt see the first 2 posts on that thread then? which i agreed with.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024