Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No subject 22:06 - Dec 12 with 3823 viewstractordownsouth

[Post edited 16 May 2020 7:24]

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Absolute disgrace on 08:42 - Dec 13 with 1668 viewsmonytowbray

Absolute disgrace on 08:41 - Dec 13 by crunchie1978

I doubt any homeless person would vote for labour!

Have you spoke to many homeless people lately?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Absolute disgrace on 08:50 - Dec 13 with 1659 viewscrunchie1978

Absolute disgrace on 08:42 - Dec 13 by monytowbray

Have you spoke to many homeless people lately?

Actually yes.....I'm currently working for a homeless charity!

That c#@t is how they describe corbynov!

As he's fallen on his sword their view perhaps may of shifted.
Absolute disgrace on 08:56 - Dec 13 with 1649 viewslegally_blue

Absolute disgrace (n/t) on 07:50 - Dec 13 by tractordownsouth

[Post edited 16 May 2020 7:24]

Please stop spouting complete nonsense suggesting that Sajid Javid was responsible for the crash. I’ve seen you do it a few times. As far as I’m aware, he was not involved at all in the CDO market. The causes of the crash are complex and involve failings by business, government and the general populace. To try and pin the blame on one man who was on the board of DB is complete tosh.
Absolute disgrace on 08:59 - Dec 13 with 1647 viewsSwansea_Blue

Absolute disgrace on 22:12 - Dec 12 by The_Last_Baron

Just think of Pritti Patel sorting homeland security out. She's a lady who won't take any cr@p and will nail the criminals, god willing.

"homeland security"

Wrong country.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Absolute disgrace on 09:05 - Dec 13 with 1634 viewssoupytwist

Absolute disgrace on 08:56 - Dec 13 by legally_blue

Please stop spouting complete nonsense suggesting that Sajid Javid was responsible for the crash. I’ve seen you do it a few times. As far as I’m aware, he was not involved at all in the CDO market. The causes of the crash are complex and involve failings by business, government and the general populace. To try and pin the blame on one man who was on the board of DB is complete tosh.

Well The Guardian said in August that he was - https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/05/john-mcdonnell-questions-chance

Euromoney said in May that he "was responsible for structuring an emerging-market synthetic CDO that incurred millions of dollars worth of losses for investors."

Full article: https://www.euromoney.com/article/b12km259jtpqtd/sajid-javid-from-risky-business
Absolute disgrace on 09:09 - Dec 13 with 1625 viewsSwansea_Blue

He hasn't said Javid was the sole man to blame, he said he was part of the banking machinery that was instrumental in the crash. And he's right.

Javid was head of the CDO section in DB.
"In October 2006, he was appointed head of global credit trading (GCT) Asia (ex Japan) and was responsible for all cash and derivative credit trading, collateralized debt obligation (CDOs), securitization, structured finance and convertibles and for the commodities business.
https://www.euromoney.com/article/b12km259jtpqtd/sajid-javid-from-risky-business

Why can't people read anymore?

Absolute disgrace on 09:16 - Dec 13 with 1615 viewslegally_blue

Absolute disgrace on 09:05 - Dec 13 by soupytwist

Well The Guardian said in August that he was - https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/05/john-mcdonnell-questions-chance

Euromoney said in May that he "was responsible for structuring an emerging-market synthetic CDO that incurred millions of dollars worth of losses for investors."

Full article: https://www.euromoney.com/article/b12km259jtpqtd/sajid-javid-from-risky-business

Thanks, sorry, I should have been clearer. I don’t think he was involved in the sub-prime mortgage CDO market (which is the main cause of the crash). I believe he was involved in emerging markets structuring. Almost all areas of investment banking suffered big losses as a result of the domino effect of the financial crisis, but it doesn’t mean that everyone involved in investment banking has some burden to bear for being responsible for the financial crisis.
Absolute disgrace on 09:20 - Dec 13 with 1610 viewslegally_blue

Absolute disgrace on 09:09 - Dec 13 by Swansea_Blue

He hasn't said Javid was the sole man to blame, he said he was part of the banking machinery that was instrumental in the crash. And he's right.

Javid was head of the CDO section in DB.
"In October 2006, he was appointed head of global credit trading (GCT) Asia (ex Japan) and was responsible for all cash and derivative credit trading, collateralized debt obligation (CDOs), securitization, structured finance and convertibles and for the commodities business.
https://www.euromoney.com/article/b12km259jtpqtd/sajid-javid-from-risky-business

Why can't people read anymore?

See my response above. CDO’s were used in a broad range of structures. It was the US sub-prime mortgage CDOs that did the damage. I’ve seen no evidence that he was involved in that market.
Login to get fewer ads

Absolute disgrace on 09:23 - Dec 13 with 1604 viewstractordownsouth

I haven't said he alone was responsible. The banks were responsible, of which he was part. Not Labour, or at least not in the current context of the Labour Party. Yet this man is who many people want running the finances.

And yes he was in the CDO market

[Post edited 13 Dec 2019 9:24]

Absolute disgrace on 09:29 - Dec 13 with 1595 viewslegally_blue

Absolute disgrace on 09:23 - Dec 13 by tractordownsouth

I haven't said he alone was responsible. The banks were responsible, of which he was part. Not Labour, or at least not in the current context of the Labour Party. Yet this man is who many people want running the finances.

And yes he was in the CDO market

[Post edited 13 Dec 2019 9:24]

Again, read my response above. CDO is a very broad term covering a huge number of structures. Sub-prime mortgage CDOs did the damage. That article simply shows he was involved in a DB loan backed CDO which suffered some losses. Nothing at all to do with the crash. No doubt a large number of the other structures he was involved in made massive profits for investors.

And yes, the banks were responsible for the crisis. But does that mean that nobody involved in investment banking can ever be involved in financial discussions?
[Post edited 13 Dec 2019 9:31]
Absolute disgrace on 09:38 - Dec 13 with 1587 viewsr2d2

Corbyn just wasnt the answer. Simples.
Absolute disgrace on 09:40 - Dec 13 with 1581 viewssoupytwist

Absolute disgrace on 09:29 - Dec 13 by legally_blue

Again, read my response above. CDO is a very broad term covering a huge number of structures. Sub-prime mortgage CDOs did the damage. That article simply shows he was involved in a DB loan backed CDO which suffered some losses. Nothing at all to do with the crash. No doubt a large number of the other structures he was involved in made massive profits for investors.

And yes, the banks were responsible for the crisis. But does that mean that nobody involved in investment banking can ever be involved in financial discussions?

I'll bow to your superior knowledge of the CDO market.

However I think that if anyone who occupied a senior position in investment banking at that time subsequently wants to run the nation's finances, then we should think very carefully about whether that's a good idea.
Absolute disgrace on 09:45 - Dec 13 with 1569 viewstractordownsouth

Absolute disgrace on 09:29 - Dec 13 by legally_blue

No I don't think they can't be involved, but again I think that in the context of people not trusting Labour fiscally because of what the banks did, it is relatively important. I've never said that he caused the crash, but he was in a senior position in a bank which helped caused it and for that he has to take responsibility.

Anyway, we aren't going to agree.

Absolute disgrace on 09:49 - Dec 13 with 1568 viewslegally_blue

Absolute disgrace on 09:40 - Dec 13 by soupytwist

I'll bow to your superior knowledge of the CDO market.

However I think that if anyone who occupied a senior position in investment banking at that time subsequently wants to run the nation's finances, then we should think very carefully about whether that's a good idea.

Can we not accept that people can learn from mistakes that were made and use that knowledge and expertise to stop it from happening again? My issue with the OP is the suggestion that (a) anyone who worked in investment banking during the crisis is to blame for the crisis; and (b) anyone who worked in investment banking cannot be trusted with financial affairs. It’s this type of closed mindedness that has cost Labour dearly (and means we’re now stuck with 5 years of BoJo)
Absolute disgrace on 10:02 - Dec 13 with 1552 viewssoupytwist

Absolute disgrace on 09:49 - Dec 13 by legally_blue

Can we not accept that people can learn from mistakes that were made and use that knowledge and expertise to stop it from happening again? My issue with the OP is the suggestion that (a) anyone who worked in investment banking during the crisis is to blame for the crisis; and (b) anyone who worked in investment banking cannot be trusted with financial affairs. It’s this type of closed mindedness that has cost Labour dearly (and means we’re now stuck with 5 years of BoJo)

I don't disagree with that particularly but I've seen little to suggest that Javid accepts that investment banking played a major part in the financial crash and that he's going to implement policies which make it less likely to happen again or help the people who have borne the brunt of the resulting economic situation.

In fact, he wouldn't have got anywhere near his current job if he had.
Absolute disgrace on 10:04 - Dec 13 with 1547 viewsbrazil1982

Absolute disgrace on 08:50 - Dec 13 by crunchie1978

Ouch
Absolute disgrace on 10:10 - Dec 13 with 1536 viewsSwansea_Blue

How the hell do you square that with voting for a party that's overseen the homelessness crisis? That's just odd.

Absolute disgrace on 10:17 - Dec 13 with 1524 viewsitfcjoe

Absolute disgrace on 10:10 - Dec 13 by Swansea_Blue

How the hell do you square that with voting for a party that's overseen the homelessness crisis? That's just odd.

THis is what was up against, I don't doubt crunchie for a second that they think this

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Absolute disgrace on 10:21 - Dec 13 with 1514 viewsVaughan8

He wasn't expecting that answer was he (Callis)? haha. No surprise there is no answer back. Probably run off to another thread with his tail between his legs...…

The problem with these forums is no-one knows what other people do and jump on people before they do or ask a sarcastic question like that.
Absolute disgrace on 10:24 - Dec 13 with 1509 viewslegally_blue

Absolute disgrace on 10:02 - Dec 13 by soupytwist

I don't disagree with that particularly but I've seen little to suggest that Javid accepts that investment banking played a major part in the financial crash and that he's going to implement policies which make it less likely to happen again or help the people who have borne the brunt of the resulting economic situation.

In fact, he wouldn't have got anywhere near his current job if he had.

I’d be very surprised if he didn’t recognise the role investment banking played in the financial crisis. I’ve not seen anything suggesting otherwise? There has been a huge amount of regulatory change since the crisis which will hopefully prevent anything similar happening again. Financial services should be seen as a huge benefit to the UK (and will be a key driver in whether we are successful now Brexit is definitely going ahead); it shouldn’t be demonised. Now the Tories have free reign (and potentially able to get away from satisfying the ERG), will be interesting to see what his next budget has to offer. Hopefully they will be able to do something to reunite the nation to some extent.....
Absolute disgrace on 10:54 - Dec 13 with 1491 viewsm14_blue

Absolute disgrace on 07:46 - Dec 13 by Oxford_Blue

You’re playing the emotional card without looking at facts.

It was the labour govt that was in power when the crash took place on 2008/09.

This is a great day. Corbyn and his lot are Marxist anti semites.

We are going to get Brexit done and it’s over.

This post should be preserved for posterity.

That last line will be studied by academics in the future as to how easily the public can be manipulated by simple sloganeering. Useful idiots aplenty in this country at the moment.
Absolute disgrace on 10:56 - Dec 13 with 1488 viewsusm

Just think for a minute how terrible the alternative was/is.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Absolute disgrace on 11:01 - Dec 13 with 1476 viewsartsbossbeard

Absolute disgrace on 07:46 - Dec 13 by Oxford_Blue

You’re playing the emotional card without looking at facts.

It was the labour govt that was in power when the crash took place on 2008/09.

This is a great day. Corbyn and his lot are Marxist anti semites.

We are going to get Brexit done and it’s over.

Bookmarked for future reference.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024