Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone here tried really expensive wine? 18:22 - Feb 16 with 17219 viewsGeoffSentence

The sort that you'd have to pay hundreds of pounds a bottle in a restaurant or bar.

Does it taste noticeably better than a bottle of plonk you can get from your local supermarket?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 15:23 - Feb 17 with 4413 viewsOxford_Blue

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 13:41 - Feb 17 by Lord_Lucan

Interesting.

I'm going to but a £15 bottle from the Co-op this week and come back with my findings.

I will also buy a < £7 bottle for comparison. Genuine question as I will neck them both, which one should I drink first? I have found previously that if you get through a couple of glasses of sh1te then they all taste the same after that.

Pour both glasses and then drink cheaper one first.

£15 from co-op could get you something ok - but really for £20 you could get a chatrauneuf de pape for example. Stay away from a young Bordeaux - they tend to need five years or age.

Pair with good food.

Or, better still, don’t waste money on the cheaper wine - spend £25 or so on a good bottle!
Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 16:10 - Feb 17 with 4396 viewssolemio

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 14:45 - Feb 17 by Lord_Lucan

What if you are a borderline alcoholic?

Try not to cross the border.
It's like going from Suffolk to Norfolk or from Somerset to Glos.
Borderline? (n/t) on 16:14 - Feb 17 with 4393 viewsDyland

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 16:20 - Feb 17 with 4389 viewsBigManBlue

Once (it was red). I wasn't paying, needless to say...

Being somewhat of a pleb I thought that it was alright, pretty drinkable even, but could have been improved with a dash of coca-cola to top it up. Certainly not a beer at any rate.

That said I was in Italy a few weeks back (first time) and absolutely loved some of the local bevs in a way I've never really enjoyed wine. Most I paid was about 25 euros so I could only guess how good some of the finer vintages would be.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 16:24 - Feb 17 with 4380 viewsfooters

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 16:20 - Feb 17 by BigManBlue

Being somewhat of a pleb I thought that it was alright, pretty drinkable even, but could have been improved with a dash of coca-cola to top it up. Certainly not a beer at any rate.

That said I was in Italy a few weeks back (first time) and absolutely loved some of the local bevs in a way I've never really enjoyed wine. Most I paid was about 25 euros so I could only guess how good some of the finer vintages would be.

You may joke but many Spanish yoof do mix wine and Coke. I know, I know.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 16:26 - Feb 17 with 4379 viewsLord_Lucan

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 16:20 - Feb 17 by BigManBlue

I love Italian wine.

I am probably a heathen but I like Spanish, Italian and New World the best and I never buy French

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 16:39 - Feb 17 with 4353 viewsParky

Took a family member for a Birthday meal a few years ago to the Waterfront. - She wanted a bottle of wine and chose one off the menu she stated she liked as it came from New Zealand.

After my pint of Peroni, she asked me to have a glass (very kind considering I was paying), so I did. Now, I'm no wine drinker but it tasted absolutely awful; worse than what my old man would buy for £1.99 from the corner shop before going into the Indian where you can take your own booze.

The bill comes and I notice the wine in question was £95, my family members excuse was "I didn't have my glasses and heard wine from New Zealand is nice".

Never again!
Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 16:39 - Feb 17 with 4353 viewsBigManBlue

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 16:24 - Feb 17 by footers

I thought it was some postmodern nightmare out of Burroughs or Ballard until I was convinced to try it.

It's the way, the light and the truth...

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 16:40 - Feb 17 with 4349 viewsBigManBlue

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 16:26 - Feb 17 by Lord_Lucan

I love Italian wine.

I am probably a heathen but I like Spanish, Italian and New World the best and I never buy French

I'm with you there - I would say that I know probably less about wine than your average Joe, but the Italian stuff really hit the spot for me.

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 18:08 - Feb 17 with 4296 viewslowhouseblue

i like wine. in the past i've done tasting tours of of most of the french wine regions (mainly because they are beautiful places). i've been to loads of tastings organised by uk merchants. i've done en primeur tastings and tastings to decide when stuff should be drunk. and i have reached the following conclusions: i prefer certain regions and grapes; i prefer more modern producers in those regions; when i find a producer i like i try and follow them; i wouldn't bother with claret; over £20 a bottle retail i'm not capable of telling the difference - spending more would be a complete waste for me; knowing lots of people who take it all very seriously i think an awful lot of the expensive stuff is emperor's new clothes; and if i had to choose one over the other i'd give up wine before beer.

for what it's worth i'm now a fan of naked wine.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 18:16 - Feb 17 with 4293 viewsjas0999

Those type of prices in a restaurant would typically be £40-50 in a supermarket.

There is a noticeable difference though. Some supermarkets do excellent wine ranges. Just depends what you like. Had a £30 bottle of Malbec recently and it was noticeably better than a £6 bottle.
Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 18:47 - Feb 17 with 4266 viewsLord_Lucan

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 18:16 - Feb 17 by jas0999

Those type of prices in a restaurant would typically be £40-50 in a supermarket.

There is a noticeable difference though. Some supermarkets do excellent wine ranges. Just depends what you like. Had a £30 bottle of Malbec recently and it was noticeably better than a £6 bottle.

Was it five times better and if you drink a lot can you justify £30 - £60 a night?

That's the problem isn't it, If I don't go out Wednesday evening I can get a Tesco Finest meal deal for a tenner which is a main, side, pudding and a bottle of very drinkable plonk.

I'm going to have a bash at a £20 bottle but it's not sustainable in the long run.

Someone suggested Chateauneuf de pap earlier but I've always considered that a pretentious wine for people who don't know what they are talking about**** but want to seem like they do. I admit I am clueless on the subject but I would rather pay extra on a nice Rioja

****I am prepared to be crucified as I am stupid.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 18:52 - Feb 17 with 4258 viewsJakeITFC

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 16:24 - Feb 17 by footers

And it’s absolutely brilliant.
Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:00 - Feb 17 with 4249 viewsLord_Lucan

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 18:52 - Feb 17 by JakeITFC

And it’s absolutely brilliant.

Is it really? This could be the answer to stop me falling over.

What ratio is acceptable?

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:02 - Feb 17 with 4245 viewsHARRY10

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 18:47 - Feb 17 by Lord_Lucan

Was it five times better and if you drink a lot can you justify £30 - £60 a night?

That's the problem isn't it, If I don't go out Wednesday evening I can get a Tesco Finest meal deal for a tenner which is a main, side, pudding and a bottle of very drinkable plonk.

I'm going to have a bash at a £20 bottle but it's not sustainable in the long run.

Someone suggested Chateauneuf de pap earlier but I've always considered that a pretentious wine for people who don't know what they are talking about**** but want to seem like they do. I admit I am clueless on the subject but I would rather pay extra on a nice Rioja

ignorant (not knowing) but stupid no

There's a fair few newspaper columns that recommend various wines and in that light you can chose so as to ensure you don't spend on a duff one

the difference I think many miss out on is that a bottle of wine for £6 will see (say) 70 % of the cost be taken up by handling, shipping, shop mark up
etc

a £10 bottle will have the same costs but as a percentage will probably see 3 times the money spent on the wine - not exact figures but the principle holds true

and it is as much to do with what you want from the wine

as Lucan suggests a rosy glow from the alcohol - or a 'superior' glow from what you have spent
Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:10 - Feb 17 with 4228 viewsLord_Lucan

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:02 - Feb 17 by HARRY10

ignorant (not knowing) but stupid no

There's a fair few newspaper columns that recommend various wines and in that light you can chose so as to ensure you don't spend on a duff one

the difference I think many miss out on is that a bottle of wine for £6 will see (say) 70 % of the cost be taken up by handling, shipping, shop mark up
etc

a £10 bottle will have the same costs but as a percentage will probably see 3 times the money spent on the wine - not exact figures but the principle holds true

and it is as much to do with what you want from the wine

as Lucan suggests a rosy glow from the alcohol - or a 'superior' glow from what you have spent

I'm not sure your price analogy holds up to be fair. Shops will pay price and then mark up x % so the handling and shipping is irrelevant, they won't pay Miguel wine farm x and then count the shipping as a static cost, whether they pay FOB or CIF they will add their mark up to the full landed price.

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:16 - Feb 17 with 4214 viewsRadlett_blue

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:10 - Feb 17 by Lord_Lucan

I'm not sure your price analogy holds up to be fair. Shops will pay price and then mark up x % so the handling and shipping is irrelevant, they won't pay Miguel wine farm x and then count the shipping as a static cost, whether they pay FOB or CIF they will add their mark up to the full landed price.

Try this.
https://www.corksout.com/whats-in-your-bottle/
Yes, the data is compiled by a merchant who wants you to trade up so that he makes more profit, but the cork, the bottle & the shipping all cost the same for a £5 bottle as a £50 bottle.
Here's some similar data, supposedly from an independent.
https://www.decanter.com/learn/tax-wine-much-pay-uk-ask-decanter-357119/

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:24 - Feb 17 with 4193 viewsHARRY10

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:10 - Feb 17 by Lord_Lucan

This might explain it better

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/wine-why-buy-10-bottles-

I'd be interested on yours and others comments

And I pretty much fall in line with your thinking - much of wine consumption is based on snobbery, which is a sad reflection on their lives and values

Each to their own is my thought, though it does no harm to get 'help' where possible

but where there's money there will be a tendency for fingers to get caught in the till
Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:49 - Feb 17 with 4170 viewsLord_Lucan

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:24 - Feb 17 by HARRY10

This might explain it better

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/wine-why-buy-10-bottles-

I'd be interested on yours and others comments

And I pretty much fall in line with your thinking - much of wine consumption is based on snobbery, which is a sad reflection on their lives and values

Each to their own is my thought, though it does no harm to get 'help' where possible

but where there's money there will be a tendency for fingers to get caught in the till

I get what Radders and yourself are saying but I don't necessarily agree that it always works like that. Duty and VAT affect every product in a similar way - although alcohol may be a bit of an oddity because of the amount of tax that alcohol is subject to. It is also down to supply and demand, Mr Marsuads 1996 may be better than his 1995 but 1996 could also have produced a higher yield.

I get what you are saying - but I need to think about it.

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:10 - Feb 17 with 4154 viewsOxford_Blue

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 16:39 - Feb 17 by Parky

Took a family member for a Birthday meal a few years ago to the Waterfront. - She wanted a bottle of wine and chose one off the menu she stated she liked as it came from New Zealand.

After my pint of Peroni, she asked me to have a glass (very kind considering I was paying), so I did. Now, I'm no wine drinker but it tasted absolutely awful; worse than what my old man would buy for £1.99 from the corner shop before going into the Indian where you can take your own booze.

The bill comes and I notice the wine in question was £95, my family members excuse was "I didn't have my glasses and heard wine from New Zealand is nice".

Never again!

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 20:12 - Feb 17 with 4151 viewsHARRY10

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:49 - Feb 17 by Lord_Lucan

I get what Radders and yourself are saying but I don't necessarily agree that it always works like that. Duty and VAT affect every product in a similar way - although alcohol may be a bit of an oddity because of the amount of tax that alcohol is subject to. It is also down to supply and demand, Mr Marsuads 1996 may be better than his 1995 but 1996 could also have produced a higher yield.

I get what you are saying - but I need to think about it.

As stated it is not an exact formula but perhaps a guide to the balance between price and return

Is a £100 bottle of wine ten times better than a £10 bottle ?

Much there depends upon what you actually bought the wine for.

I sip anout in what is often refred to as a poller skate (my car). If I am going on a long journey I will hire something bigger for that journey. Anyone who sees my car as a 'failure' is not that important to me. Nor would anybody who would be impressed if I drove about in a roller.

As Groucho Marx said of snobbery. "I wouldn't join a club that would have someone like me as a member"

So I wouldn't find common purpose with someone who thought spending hundreds of pounds on a bottle of wine was a worthwile action.
Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 20:18 - Feb 17 with 4140 viewsOxford_Blue

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 18:47 - Feb 17 by Lord_Lucan

Agree that chareauneuf does have that reputation to some extent but remember it’s not a wine producer but a region - something like Chateau Beaucastel makes beautiful wine and it ages for years. Or try a Gigondas or Vacqueras - similar style but cheaper.
Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 20:23 - Feb 17 with 4129 viewsLord_Lucan

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 20:12 - Feb 17 by HARRY10

As stated it is not an exact formula but perhaps a guide to the balance between price and return

Is a £100 bottle of wine ten times better than a £10 bottle ?

Much there depends upon what you actually bought the wine for.

I sip anout in what is often refred to as a poller skate (my car). If I am going on a long journey I will hire something bigger for that journey. Anyone who sees my car as a 'failure' is not that important to me. Nor would anybody who would be impressed if I drove about in a roller.

As Groucho Marx said of snobbery. "I wouldn't join a club that would have someone like me as a member"

So I wouldn't find common purpose with someone who thought spending hundreds of pounds on a bottle of wine was a worthwile action.

A friend I went to school with lives not far from me which is a bit weird as neither of us went to school in Ipswich. We were great friends and we both made a complete hash up of our schooling, we used to fight it out to see who was bottom of the class at the end of the year. We see each other now and again. Anyhow, he recently sold his business (I'm guessing he got around £3m for it). I have been out with him a few times over the years and if he bought a £100 bottle of wine he wouldn't be showing off, he just fancies buying a bottle of wine for £100. I can't think of anyone else I know who wouldn't be buying it for any other reason but to show off - although to be fair my lot are too tight to do it anyway.

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 20:34 - Feb 17 with 4111 viewsChateauWines

Then my advice is lousy lol

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 21:25 - Feb 17 with 4088 viewscatch74

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:54 - Feb 16 by Lord_Lucan

I love doing sh1t like that.

A few from my Whitbread days, Stella and old Piss-weak Heineken barrels accidentally swapped 22 gallons of each sold without a peep.
I did a pub relief once and came downstairs to see the kiwi assistant pouring all the left over white wines into one bottle - he said he did it every morning. Not one complaint.
Same guy put on a Bishop's Finger pump clip - I said we don’t have any - he said it was the badge the came to hand,didn’t know what beer he was actually putting on. I left him to it and no one mentioned anything - in fact I think one customer told him it was the best pint of B Finger he’d ever had.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024