Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"The Man" is watching me - and you 18:38 - Feb 20 with 7709 viewsLord_Lucan

Apparently yesterday my wife was speaking with my daughter on the phone about some stuff she had bought off Amazon and after the phone call my daughter received a text showing pictures of what the wife had bought.

Frightening

Who is monitoring me, iphone, Alexa or both?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 20:30 - Feb 20 with 2820 viewsjeera

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 20:26 - Feb 20 by Tangledupin_Blue

Is your phone in selfie mode?

Lucan's post there has attracted more attention than is normal.

I think most replies are in concern and searching for more information and the piss-taking is just cover!

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 20:41 - Feb 20 with 2805 viewsWD19

Two of the women I work with play around with this kind of thing regularly just for fun.

They will sit around their 'dormant' phones talking about pizza and they will get pizza ads for the rest of the day etc.

For most apps you have on your phone you have given permission for the use of the microphone. I was working with an app developer about 10 years ago and he dismissed it saying 'oh yes, we can (with our app) but we never bother listening'....
"The Man" is watching me - and you on 20:43 - Feb 20 with 2800 viewsColin_Viljoen

Even more scary.......

Amazon has acquired video doorbell and home security camera maker Ring in a deal reportedly worth more than $1bn, as it pushes further into the internet of things and in-home-delivery space.
"The Man" is watching me - and you on 20:48 - Feb 20 with 2776 viewsNewcyBlue

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 20:43 - Feb 20 by Colin_Viljoen

Even more scary.......

Amazon has acquired video doorbell and home security camera maker Ring in a deal reportedly worth more than $1bn, as it pushes further into the internet of things and in-home-delivery space.

Fitbit were bought by Google, so now they know about a lot of peoples lifestyles.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 20:48 - Feb 20 with 2776 viewsLord_Lucan

Even more scary.......

Sorry, I may be a bit thick but I don't understand what you are posting - although I am interested. I am either p1ssed or you haven't punctuated very well, it could be either to be fair.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Gaffa taping your phone camera on 20:50 - Feb 20 with 2773 viewsWeWereZombies

(No subject) on 20:01 - Feb 20 by jeera

There was IT bod on TV a while back and this kind of thing came up.

Famously, Zuckerberg covers any camera on his devices and when asked this woman said it's absolutely the right thing to do and that she does - and recommends - the same.

Maybe a local expert on here can throw more light on that, but I'm just repeating what they said.

I suppose they're more referring towards hacking though, but nonetheless, it's all rather uncomfortable.

Well I taped over the camera on my phone and it really fecked up my holiday pics...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 20:51 - Feb 20 with 2772 viewsNewcyBlue

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 20:48 - Feb 20 by Lord_Lucan

Sorry, I may be a bit thick but I don't understand what you are posting - although I am interested. I am either p1ssed or you haven't punctuated very well, it could be either to be fair.

There is a company called Ring, who make a popular video doorbell.

A doorbell that sends video to your phone/tablet when it is pressed. It also has other things such as proximity alerts etc.

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 20:51 - Feb 20 with 2770 viewsWD19

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 20:48 - Feb 20 by Lord_Lucan

Amazon now have a live feed of cctv from many peoples houses.
Login to get fewer ads

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 20:52 - Feb 20 with 2764 viewsfooters

Even more scary.......

Ring has also been doing some deals with local police departments in the States too, I believe. What a world. Your doorbell is now a surveillance camera, CCTV for the police and trying to sell you more milk.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 20:57 - Feb 20 with 2742 viewsLord_Lucan

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 20:51 - Feb 20 by NewcyBlue

There is a company called Ring, who make a popular video doorbell.

A doorbell that sends video to your phone/tablet when it is pressed. It also has other things such as proximity alerts etc.

Ah I get it.

Two things instantly spring to mind.

1/ Your dealer is eventually gonna get nicked

2/ Ironically, if it's a Hermes man delivering an Amazon parcel he will have fecked off before you've had time to look at your phone.

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 21:05 - Feb 20 with 2714 viewsNewcyBlue

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 20:57 - Feb 20 by Lord_Lucan

Ah I get it.

Two things instantly spring to mind.

1/ Your dealer is eventually gonna get nicked

2/ Ironically, if it's a Hermes man delivering an Amazon parcel he will have fecked off before you've had time to look at your phone.

My dealer the Hermes man are one and the same.

I get my weed but not the parcels from Amazon.

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 21:12 - Feb 20 with 2690 viewsjeera

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 21:05 - Feb 20 by NewcyBlue

My dealer the Hermes man are one and the same.

I get my weed but not the parcels from Amazon.

Amazon have certainly branched out.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

(No subject) on 21:15 - Feb 20 with 2684 viewsColin_Viljoen

Amazon gave Suffolk police 1,000 Ring door camera's, They will eventually be able to link them to a network for so called security purposes.

As somebody from Amazon said "it's all about the data"
[Post edited 21 Feb 2020 8:34]
"The Man" is watching me - and you on 21:15 - Feb 20 with 2683 viewsLord_Lucan

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 21:12 - Feb 20 by jeera

Amazon have certainly branched out.

Amazon are an unstoppable juggernaut. I remember when they just sold books, now they have more money and power than some countries.

It won't end well.

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 21:52 - Feb 20 with 2657 viewsghostofescobar

Why couldn’t they just have stayed in the rain forests?

GhostOfEscobar

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 23:06 - Feb 20 with 2604 viewsLord_Lucan

And here's a proper thing.

Rather than all this bloody extension rebellion bulls1t paraded by weirdpot losers and cranky t0sspots who are just looking for something to be a part of.

The situation is thus; Man will find a way of halting this so called environmental nightmare that is almost definitely not currently unstoppable despite the hoo ha from deranged misfits.

What you should be campaigning against is the fact that Alexa knows what sh1t you are up to. You can put as many ambulance stopping roadblocks out as you want but it wont stop "The man" knowing what you are doing right here right now.

I'm too old for this sh1t but if you want to make a difference then this is your target. Mobilise now or shush.

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 23:24 - Feb 20 with 2576 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Honestly, as if......you people on here!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 07:39 - Feb 21 with 2473 viewsWeWereZombies

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 23:06 - Feb 20 by Lord_Lucan

And here's a proper thing.

Rather than all this bloody extension rebellion bulls1t paraded by weirdpot losers and cranky t0sspots who are just looking for something to be a part of.

The situation is thus; Man will find a way of halting this so called environmental nightmare that is almost definitely not currently unstoppable despite the hoo ha from deranged misfits.

What you should be campaigning against is the fact that Alexa knows what sh1t you are up to. You can put as many ambulance stopping roadblocks out as you want but it wont stop "The man" knowing what you are doing right here right now.

I'm too old for this sh1t but if you want to make a difference then this is your target. Mobilise now or shush.

Except that Amazon will not survive the likely outcome of the current. chiefly man made, climate change either. What you are suggesting is a bit like receiving a damaged parcel and blaming the product inside rather than the person who packaged it with insufficient care or the carrier who did the damage delivering it.

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 08:32 - Feb 21 with 2445 viewsHarry_Palmer

It will be both. This panorama episode highlights just what Amazon and Alexa is capable of, although I think you already get the general idea.

The scary thing is that as long as people have their technology and life continues to offer more and more 'convenience' , the vast majority don't really seem to care that these corporations monitor our every move.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000fjdz
"The Man" is watching me - and you on 08:41 - Feb 21 with 2413 viewsIpswichKnight

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 19:09 - Feb 20 by hampstead_blue

I've not had this on Android.

It's properly f##ked-up. Properly.

The wife gets this a lot on her Samsung phone, it will often show her in her targeted ads on facebook and alike what she has been talking to her sister about!

Never had this with my apple though!
"The Man" is watching me - and you on 08:48 - Feb 21 with 2402 viewsDyland

You silly sausage. Surprised someone of your outlook hadn't clocked this years ago.

Many big names in the world of tech and comm have openly or been "caught" plastering over their computer cameras, fingers over phone mouthpiece when talking face to face (or turning them off), and absolutely turning off "smart" products such as TVs and Alexa etc. when not using them. For years.

Of course if the Man really wants to know what you're saying, the Man will find a way to monitor you even if you're off the grid. Not too long before our thoughts can be more accurately read via emotion and other physical signals.

In response to your dealer and Hermes post, meet your dealer in the boozer ffs. Or use Hermes :) Dealers coming to your house is so 1995.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 08:49 - Feb 21 with 2398 viewschicoazul

In my 22-some years as Extremely Online Man I have always assumed there are teams of people at Amazon, Menwith Hill, Palo Alto etc etc who listen to my every word. Data is oil after all.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 09:20 - Feb 21 with 2365 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 08:48 - Feb 21 by Dyland

You silly sausage. Surprised someone of your outlook hadn't clocked this years ago.

Many big names in the world of tech and comm have openly or been "caught" plastering over their computer cameras, fingers over phone mouthpiece when talking face to face (or turning them off), and absolutely turning off "smart" products such as TVs and Alexa etc. when not using them. For years.

Of course if the Man really wants to know what you're saying, the Man will find a way to monitor you even if you're off the grid. Not too long before our thoughts can be more accurately read via emotion and other physical signals.

In response to your dealer and Hermes post, meet your dealer in the boozer ffs. Or use Hermes :) Dealers coming to your house is so 1995.

....and anyway, "if you're not doing anything wrong.....".....oh, I see!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 11:03 - Feb 21 with 2329 viewsRonFearonsHair

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 08:49 - Feb 21 by chicoazul

In my 22-some years as Extremely Online Man I have always assumed there are teams of people at Amazon, Menwith Hill, Palo Alto etc etc who listen to my every word. Data is oil after all.

It is highly doubtful that they are wasting money on people when computer programs can process the data millions of times more quickly and efficiently.
"The Man" is watching me - and you on 11:13 - Feb 21 with 2324 viewsWeWereZombies

"The Man" is watching me - and you on 08:49 - Feb 21 by chicoazul

You would be wrong - much cheaper to do it in the Philippines:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/mar/19/the-internets-dirtiest-secr

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024