Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Find some positives for next season 10:17 - Feb 26 with 7167 viewsBluefish

Lankester
Dobra
El Mizouni
Nydam
Dozzell
Drinan

All must play week in week out

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Find some positives for next season on 12:30 - Feb 26 with 1236 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Find some positives for next season on 12:21 - Feb 26 by Pecker

Lambert gone and Warnock in. That is all that is needed.

Not going to happen. But maybe possibly by the fact that I don't believe Warnock will manage again after this season concludes.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Find some positives for next season on 12:31 - Feb 26 with 1235 viewsRegencyBlue

I wouldn't be making any plans for next season until after Evans has had the summer fire sale which will inevitably follow a further stay in League 1 if I were you!
Find some positives for next season on 12:36 - Feb 26 with 1221 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Find some positives for next season on 12:31 - Feb 26 by RegencyBlue

I wouldn't be making any plans for next season until after Evans has had the summer fire sale which will inevitably follow a further stay in League 1 if I were you!

I'd love a fire sale.

Find some positives for next season on 13:01 - Feb 26 with 1214 viewsrickw

The point of this is Evans and Lambert are talking long term, but we're currently playing with a team of players who are largely in their prime. (Except Downes and Woolfenden who aren't there yet and Chambers and Skuse who are arguably past their prime)

So if we're thinking long term then we need to build a team around our young players in a system that will get the best out of them, not all will make it (i.e. Emmanuel, Hyam probably Kenlock) but at least they're had the chance to fail which I don't think the players listed in the OP have had yet

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Find some positives for next season on 13:42 - Feb 26 with 1200 viewsIllinoisblue

Lambert gone is the main positive I’m hoping for

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Find some positives for next season on 13:48 - Feb 26 with 1193 viewsBluefish

Find some positives for next season on 13:42 - Feb 26 by Illinoisblue

Troll

Find some positives for next season on 13:49 - Feb 26 with 1191 viewsGarv

Find some positives for next season on 11:14 - Feb 26 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Edwards?

The man who still scored about 5 goals last season in the worst ever Town side and who has, even when out of position all season, chipped in with a few this season.

He's not even the worst player to play full back for us this season. Let alone the worst player ever! Lol.

The worrying this for me is that he did indeed score 5 goals last season but has been a massive disappointment this.

I'm fairly sure he's scored two so far this season.

The likes of him, Nolan, Judge, Lankester and Bishop were the reasons I was looking forward to this season (but I did also predict mid table). They've been a combination of underwhelming and injured.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Find some positives for next season on 13:50 - Feb 26 with 1191 viewsDyland

I think Paul Jewell will come back.

It's going to be peak banter era.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Login to get fewer ads

Find some positives for next season on 14:28 - Feb 26 with 1173 viewsreusersfreekicks

Find some positives for next season on 11:23 - Feb 26 by Bluefish

It is great to hear people claim edwards is good because he once scored 5 goals. Just watch him play ffs

You misquote continually. No-one said he was great but he is better than a number of others at the club. You really do talk a huge amount of guff which wouldn't be so bad if you didn't feel the need to post so much and draw attention to yourself continually.
Really tedious
Find some positives for next season on 15:09 - Feb 26 with 1154 viewsjayessess

Find some positives for next season on 12:27 - Feb 26 by TheTrueBlue1878

It didn't really make sense at the time. Prior to this season most thought that Judge was going to be the vital cog in the machine this season and to sell him for half a million or whatever it was just prior the the window shutting didn't really make sense at all.

It makes sense now, but as previously stated, hind sight is wonderful thing.

I suppose the caveat here is that "most supporters" aren't handsomely paid to assess footballers or work out strategic plans. If Judge's issue is that he's just not as good as we hoped he was, then isn't it a good manager's job to spot that?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Find some positives for next season on 15:20 - Feb 26 with 1142 viewsBluefish

Find some positives for next season on 14:28 - Feb 26 by reusersfreekicks

You misquote continually. No-one said he was great but he is better than a number of others at the club. You really do talk a huge amount of guff which wouldn't be so bad if you didn't feel the need to post so much and draw attention to yourself continually.
Really tedious

I've never been wrong

Find some positives for next season on 15:40 - Feb 26 with 1126 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Find some positives for next season on 15:09 - Feb 26 by jayessess

I suppose the caveat here is that "most supporters" aren't handsomely paid to assess footballers or work out strategic plans. If Judge's issue is that he's just not as good as we hoped he was, then isn't it a good manager's job to spot that?

I think you've answered your own question in there. A good manager...?

Find some positives for next season on 16:04 - Feb 26 with 1116 viewsBlueBadger

Why do you want this club to fail?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Find some positives for next season on 16:14 - Feb 26 with 1096 viewsMagicMagilton15

The most consistent players this season have been Wolfenden, KVY (in the few games he’s played), Garbutt, and Downes. You could argue that the likes of Holy, Chambers, Huws, Jackson, and Norwood have had decent seasons. Although the strike force has come in for justified criticism in recent weeks. We will likely be without Garbutt, Earl, and Downes next season. Possibly Wolfenden, but we should try and get another year out of him at this level, if the owner resists the urge to cash in.

If we want to play an exciting style of football, then we’d need to phase out the likes of Wilson, Chambers, and Skuse. Therefore, my team for next season (assuming we sell Downes and retain Wolfenden) would be:

Holy
KVY — Wolfenden — New signing — New signing
Huws — New signing
Lankester — Bishop — Dobra
Norwood

A new left back and a new centre back would are key. We need to cut down on squad numbers, especially with SCMP restrictions next season. I’d offload Norris, Chambers, Donacien, Earl, Garbutt (no choice), Skuse, Downes (deserves another chance in the Championship), Dozzell, Rowe, Nydam, Drinan, and Keane. We’d use the academy to give opportunities to fringe squad players and then use what money we’ve got to identify a first team centre-back, left-back, defensive midfielder, winger, and pacey striker.
Find some positives for next season on 16:21 - Feb 26 with 1082 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Find some positives for next season on 16:14 - Feb 26 by MagicMagilton15

The most consistent players this season have been Wolfenden, KVY (in the few games he’s played), Garbutt, and Downes. You could argue that the likes of Holy, Chambers, Huws, Jackson, and Norwood have had decent seasons. Although the strike force has come in for justified criticism in recent weeks. We will likely be without Garbutt, Earl, and Downes next season. Possibly Wolfenden, but we should try and get another year out of him at this level, if the owner resists the urge to cash in.

If we want to play an exciting style of football, then we’d need to phase out the likes of Wilson, Chambers, and Skuse. Therefore, my team for next season (assuming we sell Downes and retain Wolfenden) would be:

Holy
Huws — New signing
Norwood

A new left back and a new centre back would are key. We need to cut down on squad numbers, especially with SCMP restrictions next season. I’d offload Norris, Chambers, Donacien, Earl, Garbutt (no choice), Skuse, Downes (deserves another chance in the Championship), Dozzell, Rowe, Nydam, Drinan, and Keane. We’d use the academy to give opportunities to fringe squad players and then use what money we’ve got to identify a first team centre-back, left-back, defensive midfielder, winger, and pacey striker.

Blimey.

A poster that talks sense when it comes to formations!

That's a brilliant shout at a line up.

Holy is a very good keeper at this level.

KVY is excellent and likely won't go anywhere.
Wolf I am afraid will likely be off.
I don't think Garbutt will stay.

That lends to a big overhaul at the back. We need a proper defensive left-back who isn't worried about going forward and a Chambers type from 5 years ago. Experienced League One warrior about 27/28. Plus if Wolf goes a partner for them in the same mould.

In midfield, playing a 4231 one seems like the way to go and we would need a holding midfielder who can put their foot in but also pass. Another experienced League One player coming into their prime. Someone with a history of being fit all the time, like Skuse and Chambers largely have been. Ideally they are partnered with Huws but maybe the likes of McGavin, if he steps up, Dozzell if he stays or someone else can play that role.

You can't rely on Bishop so I'd look for another number 10, one that ultimately has got goals at this level. James Henry was mentioned earlier. Someone of that ilk. If Bishop is fit then great but we really can't bank on it.

Norwood can lead the line, but we also need a big target man type with a bit of mobility like Murphy was for us. Jackson (not ideal), Lankester, Dobra and El Mizouni gives good options wide and the likes of Sears, Rowe, Edwards if retained could possibly do a job.

For me we need the next Chambers, a decent left back, a holding midfielder, a number 10 and a proven target man. Compliment those with the squad we have and kids coming through and that becomes a decent side at this level with potential to improve if we did go up.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Find some positives for next season on 16:43 - Feb 26 with 1053 viewsMagicMagilton15

Find some positives for next season on 16:21 - Feb 26 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Blimey.

A poster that talks sense when it comes to formations!

That's a brilliant shout at a line up.

Holy is a very good keeper at this level.

KVY is excellent and likely won't go anywhere.
Wolf I am afraid will likely be off.
I don't think Garbutt will stay.

That lends to a big overhaul at the back. We need a proper defensive left-back who isn't worried about going forward and a Chambers type from 5 years ago. Experienced League One warrior about 27/28. Plus if Wolf goes a partner for them in the same mould.

In midfield, playing a 4231 one seems like the way to go and we would need a holding midfielder who can put their foot in but also pass. Another experienced League One player coming into their prime. Someone with a history of being fit all the time, like Skuse and Chambers largely have been. Ideally they are partnered with Huws but maybe the likes of McGavin, if he steps up, Dozzell if he stays or someone else can play that role.

You can't rely on Bishop so I'd look for another number 10, one that ultimately has got goals at this level. James Henry was mentioned earlier. Someone of that ilk. If Bishop is fit then great but we really can't bank on it.

Norwood can lead the line, but we also need a big target man type with a bit of mobility like Murphy was for us. Jackson (not ideal), Lankester, Dobra and El Mizouni gives good options wide and the likes of Sears, Rowe, Edwards if retained could possibly do a job.

For me we need the next Chambers, a decent left back, a holding midfielder, a number 10 and a proven target man. Compliment those with the squad we have and kids coming through and that becomes a decent side at this level with potential to improve if we did go up.

I think there will be a bit of churn at the back this summer. Garbutt gone, Earl likely gone, and then both Wilson and Chambers are the wrong side of 30. Wolfenden is at risk of leaving, as you say, although I think we need to show a bit of ambition next season and retain one of Downes or Wolfenden. I’d argue Downes is the more complete player and due a move up a level. We also have options in midfield, whereas in central defence — Wolfenden is really the only first-team ready player we’ve got who can play in a more attacking, ball-on-the-floor system.

Midfield is tricky to get right. As you say, we need a holding player and that’s a position where we’ll need improvement as per my preferred formation. In my opinion, if we can get a decent fee for Dozzell, we should look to cash in. Someone a little more readymade would be preferable if we’re doubling down on the likes of Dobra, McGavin (great shout for cover), and Lankester elsewhere in the team. Bishop is a gamble, but I’d like to think Judge could still do a job at 10, with more attacking players around him and an emphasis on keeping the ball on the floor. Our tendency to boot balls long in recent months hasn’t made many of our midfielders look good, and I think Judge has been affected the most from this.

I’ve got no real issues around the need to get a physical target man in the squad, as a plan B would be good - and we don’t have anyone in the squad that fits a direct style. I would prefer us to bring in a quick striker with more composure in front of goal. A more clinical Jackson — in effect. Easier said than done though.
Find some positives for next season on 17:28 - Feb 26 with 1021 viewsIllinoisblue

Find some positives for next season on 13:50 - Feb 26 by Dyland

I think Paul Jewell will come back.

It's going to be peak banter era.

With Mick as Director of Football. Peak peak banterage

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Find some positives for next season on 18:49 - Feb 26 with 1002 viewsjayessess

Find some positives for next season on 16:14 - Feb 26 by MagicMagilton15

Holy
Huws — New signing
Norwood

Think a lot of these are pretty realistic. Norris, Earl and Garbutt will obviously be gone. Keane, Chambers, Skuse, Rowe and Drinan are all out of contract, so I suppose it's common sense. Can't see why you'd bother offloading Nydam, who has 1 year left, won't be a significant saving on the wage bill and won't raise a fee. Dozzell - don't think anyone will offer us a fee, so the choice is whether we extend his current deal or not.

The negative side is that it still leaves much of our wage bill occupied with big earners (for the division) who haven't especially stood out - Nolan, Edwards, Huws, Norwood, Sears - and I wonder if we've got the managerial competence to work around that...

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024