Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... 15:25 - Mar 5 with 7300 viewstpsontour

Thursday, 05/03/2020
Book Mainbook
Region London
Edition 01
Category Sport
Page 57

Sport UNDER-FIRE Ipswich boss Paul Lambert will not be sacked.

An insider said: "The club went from paying players £16,000 a week to as low as £3,000. So people have to be realistic."

SHORT
Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 15:26 - Mar 5 with 4209 viewsBlueBadger

It'll cost us a lot more to be flirting with relegation/spend years in the third division than it will to keep him on.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 15:29 - Mar 5 with 4186 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

The Sun suggests …

In other words they have made something up that sounds like it could be true.

Only there is not a single player at the club who took an 80% wage cut. What they likely mean is that Chambers was on £16k and is now on £12k, whilst Rowe was on £4k and is now on £3k.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 15:29 - Mar 5 with 4172 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

It is hardly surprising and something that has been suggested on here before.

5 year contract would not be a cheap pay out, and Marcus likes cheap.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2020 15:31]

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 15:34 - Mar 5 with 4081 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 15:29 - Mar 5 by WarkTheWarkITFC

The Sun suggests …

Only there is not a single player at the club who took an 80% wage cut. What they likely mean is that Chambers was on £16k and is now on £12k, whilst Rowe was on £4k and is now on £3k.

Yep. There may be something behind all of these reports, but equally most fans could have could have come up with these reports just on what's common knowledge. We knew there was a link with Warnock. We knew that a 5 year deal would make it super expensive to sack Lambert, and based on ME's previous behaviour he's going to be highly reluctant to go down that route.

You could make these articles up off the back of supposition - which may well be what's happened.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2020 15:35]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 15:36 - Mar 5 with 4052 viewsHerbivore

Surely if we're saving £13k per player per week on wages then we can easily afford to sack him? Or maybe they're just making stuff up?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 15:47 - Mar 5 with 3959 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

That reads as though our lowest paid player is on £3k per week.... which is absolutely fine.

Id be surprised if the average for the league is above that.

Would anyone expect Wilson to be on more than £150k per year.

No story!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

THERE IS A BREAK IN HIS CONTRACT!! (n/t) on 15:47 - Mar 5 with 3946 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 15:29 - Mar 5 by WarkTheWarkITFC

The Sun suggests …

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 15:49 - Mar 5 with 3937 viewsitfc48

Watson established earlier in the week that there are break clauses in the contact.

There's no way Evans would have exposed himself to a potential payout worth 5 years salary. It'll be similar to what Mike Ashley did when he awarded Pardew that 8 year deal. I just hope he hasn't been using Mike Ashley as an advisor!
Login to get fewer ads

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:04 - Mar 5 with 3818 viewsPhilTWTD

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 15:47 - Mar 5 by Marshalls_Mullet

That reads as though our lowest paid player is on £3k per week.... which is absolutely fine.

Id be surprised if the average for the league is above that.

Would anyone expect Wilson to be on more than £150k per year.

No story!!

I'm pretty sure our lowest paid players - some of the youngsters who have signed their first deals - will be on less than that. I know that has been the case in the recent past.
Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:06 - Mar 5 with 3799 viewsPhilTWTD

The Sun suggests …

Bart would have been the highest-paid player, £16k a week doesn't sound far off.
Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:08 - Mar 5 with 3764 viewsPhilTWTD

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 15:36 - Mar 5 by Herbivore

Surely if we're saving £13k per player per week on wages then we can easily afford to sack him? Or maybe they're just making stuff up?

If Marcus decides to sack him, he'll find the money to do it. The wider budget of the club is essentially irrelevant. From what I gather it will cost him a fair bit to do so now, although significantly less in the summer if we fail to make the top six.
Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:08 - Mar 5 with 3751 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:04 - Mar 5 by PhilTWTD

I'm pretty sure our lowest paid players - some of the youngsters who have signed their first deals - will be on less than that. I know that has been the case in the recent past.

I should hope so.

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:15 - Mar 5 with 3697 viewsjayessess

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:08 - Mar 5 by PhilTWTD

If Marcus decides to sack him, he'll find the money to do it. The wider budget of the club is essentially irrelevant. From what I gather it will cost him a fair bit to do so now, although significantly less in the summer if we fail to make the top six.

Given that in the past Evans has shown very little inclination to throw money at a long shot (which paying off Lambert in the hope a new boss wins almost every game would very much be), I guess that means he'll be here at least until the Summer then.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:17 - Mar 5 with 3676 viewsHerbivore

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:08 - Mar 5 by PhilTWTD

May as well wait for the summer in that case. I doubt Klopp could get us into the top 6 over this last 9 games. Plus in the summer Mick will be available again......

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:21 - Mar 5 with 3653 viewsPhilTWTD

And actually, that's not the thrust of the Sun story. The 'insider' is saying there needs to be realism given the current position given the wage cuts, which I'd argue is a spurious argument given most of the players are the same ones regardless of their current wage.
Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:22 - Mar 5 with 3639 viewsPhilTWTD

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:17 - Mar 5 by Herbivore

May as well wait for the summer in that case. I doubt Klopp could get us into the top 6 over this last 9 games. Plus in the summer Mick will be available again......

You never know, a change of manager can change the mood and we've got a lot of games we should on paper be able to win.
Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:23 - Mar 5 with 3624 viewsHerbivore

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:21 - Mar 5 by PhilTWTD

And actually, that's not the thrust of the Sun story. The 'insider' is saying there needs to be realism given the current position given the wage cuts, which I'd argue is a spurious argument given most of the players are the same ones regardless of their current wage.

Indeed. Plus I imagine the likes of Fleetwood and Wycombe would struggle to pay their players as much as that, certainly their average wage would be below £3k a week.

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:33 - Mar 5 with 3540 viewsPJH

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:22 - Mar 5 by PhilTWTD

You never know, a change of manager can change the mood and we've got a lot of games we should on paper be able to win.

But every game that goes by not won obviously gets us closer to it being impossible.

It WAS quite possible that someone else coming in would spark the necessary run but we are almost out of time for that now.

Starting with the game at Wimbledon where we should have expected(and got) three points we have had a series of "must win" games and we have lost three of those.

Maybe beating Burton was the equivalent of Hurst's win at Swansea and gained PL a bit more time but if so it looks like that time has been wasted.
Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:34 - Mar 5 with 3535 viewsHARRY10

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 15:49 - Mar 5 by itfc48

Watson established earlier in the week that there are break clauses in the contact.

There's no way Evans would have exposed himself to a potential payout worth 5 years salary. It'll be similar to what Mike Ashley did when he awarded Pardew that 8 year deal. I just hope he hasn't been using Mike Ashley as an advisor!

No he did not

Speculation is not establishing anything
Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:39 - Mar 5 with 3456 viewsHerbivore

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:22 - Mar 5 by PhilTWTD

I just can't see it, Phil. We need 7 wins and 2 draws from our 9 games in order to get to 75 points. Fleetwood are currently in 6th and they can surpass that points total by winning 6 and losing 5 of their remaining 11 fixtures. That would leave us needing to win 8 of our 9 games to make the top 6 and I don't see any manager achieving that kind of bounce. We still have tricky fixtures left and we're so horrendously out of form that it looks completely impossible at this point.

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:42 - Mar 5 with 3436 viewsHerbivore

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:34 - Mar 5 by HARRY10

No he did not

Speculation is not establishing anything

Journalists don't tend to just speculate, he will have sources that will have fed him that info.

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:43 - Mar 5 with 3423 viewsPhilTWTD

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:33 - Mar 5 by PJH

But every game that goes by not won obviously gets us closer to it being impossible.

It WAS quite possible that someone else coming in would spark the necessary run but we are almost out of time for that now.

Starting with the game at Wimbledon where we should have expected(and got) three points we have had a series of "must win" games and we have lost three of those.

Maybe beating Burton was the equivalent of Hurst's win at Swansea and gained PL a bit more time but if so it looks like that time has been wasted.

Of course, time is running out for such a bounce, if it hasn't already. Doubt there would have been any thought of sacking PL ahead of the Burton game, certainly not what I've heard. Swansea win definitely bought Hurst some time though.
Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:44 - Mar 5 with 3409 viewsjayessess

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:39 - Mar 5 by Herbivore

I just can't see it, Phil. We need 7 wins and 2 draws from our 9 games in order to get to 75 points. Fleetwood are currently in 6th and they can surpass that points total by winning 6 and losing 5 of their remaining 11 fixtures. That would leave us needing to win 8 of our 9 games to make the top 6 and I don't see any manager achieving that kind of bounce. We still have tricky fixtures left and we're so horrendously out of form that it looks completely impossible at this point.

A 3-game bounce gets you into the easier fixtures with a fighting chance, I would suggest.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:44 - Mar 5 with 3417 viewsPhilTWTD

Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:42 - Mar 5 by Herbivore

Journalists don't tend to just speculate, he will have sources that will have fed him that info.

To be fair, it's been known that there are break clauses in the deal since around the time it was signed. It would be exceptional if it wasn't the case.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Sun today suggests club cannot afford to sack Lambert... on 16:46 - Mar 5 with 3383 viewslondontractorboy57

Does that mean you want him out then?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024