Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating 13:59 - Mar 18 with 2533 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

There will no doubt be places in the world where people will literally have to suggest that religious folk wake the hell up and realise that no amount of praying is going to help and that science must be abided by. That's going to be unbelievably difficult to penetrate such contrasting beliefs.

There will also be some kind of fallout with regards to the hundreds of thousands of fatalities that will end up having occurred worldwide. It's all well and good saying that god works in mysterious ways when a small church in Texas collapses in a tornado killing 6 people but how the hell do you spin people of all colours and races, religions, nationalities and beliefs all being affected?

You'd like to think the one silver lining of this all will be that the world will be a better place, people will be closer, less war, less fighting, less intolerance but of course that's highly doubtful.

I just hope that some of the terrible events that have occurred and will occur, especially in countries far less equipped to cope than our own, at least give rise to more respect for science amongst the religious communities to help the world moving forward on disease, climate change and everything else that's important to recognise is not all fate or gods will.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 14:02 - Mar 18 with 2490 viewshampstead_blue

I hope that religion looks like an exhibit in a museum on a few years.

Over it a sign saying something like "In the not too distant past, people actually believed this cr@p" and a fairground wooden figure laughing to the side.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 14:07 - Mar 18 with 2467 viewsFtnfwest

I hate to say it but I can see it making things even more extreme from a religious perspective.
How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 14:08 - Mar 18 with 2467 viewsRyorry

Had been thinking same. The images of the pope praying to an empty square summarises how useless praying is & makes religion look ridiculous - if his prayers had worked in the first place, the virus wouldn't have struck & caused the square to be empty now!

See also "God Bless America" -

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 14:13 - Mar 18 with 2431 viewsgiant_stow

Why the antogonism and ill wishes you lot? How people deal with this crisis religiously is their lookout.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 14:19 - Mar 18 with 2404 viewsmonytowbray

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 14:07 - Mar 18 by Ftnfwest

I hate to say it but I can see it making things even more extreme from a religious perspective.

More than likely.

I think it's important to separate people who believe in religion and organised religion though. The former can actually have positive impacts on society and individuals if done right. If someone finds God to help them do charity work or get off drugs then fair enough. It's something to fill a void for most, sort of like us with believing Ipswich Town won't be sh1t again. The latter is a complete sh1tshow in almost every regard.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 14:24 - Mar 18 with 2388 viewsIPS_wich

Last week the head of the Greek Orthodox Church in Australia sent down an edict that all churches under their banner would be expected to carry out communion as normal - which apparently involves a spoon being used to feed the wine to those participating and also requires the spoon is not wiped clean during the ceremony. He was quoted as saying something along the lines of ‘its inconceivable that the embodiment of Christ’s flesh could transmit anything impure’...and you think people who believe this sort of thing might see their faith waver!!
How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 14:28 - Mar 18 with 2365 viewsBugs

It will make very little difference to religion. The religious are very good at adapting their ideas to anything the contradicts or challenges their beliefs. Evolution is accepted as fact by all but the most fundamental Christians for instance (with the possible exception of the USA).
How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 14:28 - Mar 18 with 2360 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 14:13 - Mar 18 by giant_stow

Why the antogonism and ill wishes you lot? How people deal with this crisis religiously is their lookout.

People are entitled to believe what they want. It's part of what makes the world so wonderful in many ways.

That includes my entitlement to believe the religion is absolutely ridiculous, essentially brain washing and that it is to blame directly for a significant amount of the worlds problems.

The very nature of religion, what it supposedly is, who is supposedly up there and their views on anyone who doesn't worship them are contradictory, illogical and completely moronic in my opinion.

Now I have less of an issue with a child growing up, being taken to church, believing what they hear and are told by their parents and this continuing, but many of the people at the very top know religion is a lie but still preach it. Those faith healers and televangelists in America are pretty much the scum of the earth.

As a world we have to draw the line somewhere.

If people believe in a god saving them and they don't need to wash their hands or avoid people because science is rubbish then we are all doomed - but we cannot say anything because it's religion.

But when people believe they can kill, rape, steal and so on, society has rules that tell them that this is wrong and we punish them for it, rightfully in my opinion.

It is therefore quite incredible in this day and age that religion is so untouchable. 1,000 years ago then fine. But now we can literally prove almost everything they believe beyond reason and it's so sad that such a significant proportion of the world won't accept facts on a number of things.

Login to get fewer ads

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 14:29 - Mar 18 with 2344 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 14:24 - Mar 18 by IPS_wich

Last week the head of the Greek Orthodox Church in Australia sent down an edict that all churches under their banner would be expected to carry out communion as normal - which apparently involves a spoon being used to feed the wine to those participating and also requires the spoon is not wiped clean during the ceremony. He was quoted as saying something along the lines of ‘its inconceivable that the embodiment of Christ’s flesh could transmit anything impure’...and you think people who believe this sort of thing might see their faith waver!!

Jesus Christ.

*Intended.

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 14:35 - Mar 18 with 2318 viewsgiant_stow

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 14:28 - Mar 18 by WarkTheWarkITFC

People are entitled to believe what they want. It's part of what makes the world so wonderful in many ways.

That includes my entitlement to believe the religion is absolutely ridiculous, essentially brain washing and that it is to blame directly for a significant amount of the worlds problems.

The very nature of religion, what it supposedly is, who is supposedly up there and their views on anyone who doesn't worship them are contradictory, illogical and completely moronic in my opinion.

Now I have less of an issue with a child growing up, being taken to church, believing what they hear and are told by their parents and this continuing, but many of the people at the very top know religion is a lie but still preach it. Those faith healers and televangelists in America are pretty much the scum of the earth.

As a world we have to draw the line somewhere.

If people believe in a god saving them and they don't need to wash their hands or avoid people because science is rubbish then we are all doomed - but we cannot say anything because it's religion.

But when people believe they can kill, rape, steal and so on, society has rules that tell them that this is wrong and we punish them for it, rightfully in my opinion.

It is therefore quite incredible in this day and age that religion is so untouchable. 1,000 years ago then fine. But now we can literally prove almost everything they believe beyond reason and it's so sad that such a significant proportion of the world won't accept facts on a number of things.

"As a world we have to draw the line somewhere."

What does that even mean?!

"If people believe in a god saving them and they don't need to wash their hands or avoid people because science is rubbish then we are all doomed - but we cannot say anything because it's religion. "

Who's saying this?!

"But when people believe they can kill, rape, steal and so on, society has rules that tell them that this is wrong and we punish them for it, rightfully in my opinion. "

Some nutjobs occasionally use religion as an excuse - don't tarnish the vast majority of religious folk who believe the exact opposite.

So much poison. live and let live and remember that churchy people (and others) will be vital in helping some of the most vulnerable in society during this crisis.

One thing religion can provide is a sense of belonging, of being part of something wider - as we've seen in the last weeks with panick buying, we've lost alot of that in secular society, so why take potshots?

Anyway, I don't want to spend the rest of the afternoon arguing about this, so that's my last post on this.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 14:40 - Mar 18 with 2301 viewsFenland_Blue

I am not religious but isn't this all wrath of God from the old testament?

In the last 9 months we have had heat waves going weeks without rain, countywide floods and know this Virus.

Up and mainly down, following Town since 88

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 14:54 - Mar 18 with 2273 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 14:35 - Mar 18 by giant_stow

"As a world we have to draw the line somewhere."

What does that even mean?!

"If people believe in a god saving them and they don't need to wash their hands or avoid people because science is rubbish then we are all doomed - but we cannot say anything because it's religion. "

Who's saying this?!

"But when people believe they can kill, rape, steal and so on, society has rules that tell them that this is wrong and we punish them for it, rightfully in my opinion. "

Some nutjobs occasionally use religion as an excuse - don't tarnish the vast majority of religious folk who believe the exact opposite.

So much poison. live and let live and remember that churchy people (and others) will be vital in helping some of the most vulnerable in society during this crisis.

One thing religion can provide is a sense of belonging, of being part of something wider - as we've seen in the last weeks with panick buying, we've lost alot of that in secular society, so why take potshots?

Anyway, I don't want to spend the rest of the afternoon arguing about this, so that's my last post on this.

Fair enough.

I don't deny there are some wonderfully kind religious people who do huge good.

However, most of the worst evil in the world is committed for, or in the name of, religion and it's fascinating that despite the emergence of science and facts, religion has barely reduced for it.

A big bang in the sky 2000 years ago then cool if you want to think it's good. We now know it's lightening and exactly what caused it. When you consider how much should have changed with religion to how much has, it's a very slow decline.

And in terms of drawing the line somewhere, we have rules for what people can and cannot do. But those same rules may potentially not be applied now to this virus.

Like I say if people were knowingly harming people they'd be arrested. But people harming people through thinking god has their back, will be untouchable. That doesn't sit right with me that people can knowingly congregate and share a spoon (see post above) and there's no way anyone will be putting an end to such madness, whereas somewhere else a person (likely not religious) out on the street will be fined or jailed for their actions which may be nowhere near as serious.

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 15:00 - Mar 18 with 2257 viewsWeWereZombies

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 14:40 - Mar 18 by Fenland_Blue

In the last 9 months we have had heat waves going weeks without rain, countywide floods and know this Virus.

Is 'I am not religious but' the new 'I am not racist but'?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 15:02 - Mar 18 with 2247 viewsDoctor_Earman

No chance. In the past when there have been mass outbreaks (even more deadly than COVID-19), religion has benefited as it is seen as an act of God for the sinful ways of humanity.
How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 15:02 - Mar 18 with 2243 viewsHerbivore

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 14:02 - Mar 18 by hampstead_blue

I hope that religion looks like an exhibit in a museum on a few years.

Over it a sign saying something like "In the not too distant past, people actually believed this cr@p" and a fairground wooden figure laughing to the side.

They could use the same sign over an exhibit showing a recording of a Boris Johnson speech.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 15:04 - Mar 18 with 2242 viewsJ2BLUE

Thankfully there is a built in boogeyman.

This virus was clearly the work of the devil and only a complete faith in God's truth and love can save us.

Etc.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 15:09 - Mar 18 with 2226 viewsgiant_stow

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 14:54 - Mar 18 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Fair enough.

I don't deny there are some wonderfully kind religious people who do huge good.

However, most of the worst evil in the world is committed for, or in the name of, religion and it's fascinating that despite the emergence of science and facts, religion has barely reduced for it.

A big bang in the sky 2000 years ago then cool if you want to think it's good. We now know it's lightening and exactly what caused it. When you consider how much should have changed with religion to how much has, it's a very slow decline.

And in terms of drawing the line somewhere, we have rules for what people can and cannot do. But those same rules may potentially not be applied now to this virus.

Like I say if people were knowingly harming people they'd be arrested. But people harming people through thinking god has their back, will be untouchable. That doesn't sit right with me that people can knowingly congregate and share a spoon (see post above) and there's no way anyone will be putting an end to such madness, whereas somewhere else a person (likely not religious) out on the street will be fined or jailed for their actions which may be nowhere near as serious.

We don't agree but fair enough and apologies if my last reply was a bit agro.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2020 15:09]

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 17:15 - Mar 18 with 2070 viewsDurovigutum

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 15:00 - Mar 18 by WeWereZombies

Is 'I am not religious but' the new 'I am not racist but'?

Yes, intolerance is intolerance whether it is white on black, straight on gay, atheist on "religious".

The argument that religion is the root of all evil is utterly banal. After all human beings are by nature so kind and considerate until brainwashed by nasty religion.
How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 17:20 - Mar 18 with 2061 viewssparks

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 17:15 - Mar 18 by Durovigutum

Yes, intolerance is intolerance whether it is white on black, straight on gay, atheist on "religious".

The argument that religion is the root of all evil is utterly banal. After all human beings are by nature so kind and considerate until brainwashed by nasty religion.

I dont know anyone who says its the root of all evil. Just a significant source of problems.

Good folk will do mainly good things, bad folk will do bad things. It takes relgiion, for the most part, to persuade good folk to do evil things.

I have no doubt that many will be preaching that this is punishment for gay marriage etc etc.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 17:26 - Mar 18 with 2053 viewshampstead_blue

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 14:40 - Mar 18 by Fenland_Blue

Exciting isn't it......

P.S: I am so anti-religion btw

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 19:02 - Mar 18 with 1990 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

How religion looks in a couple of years will be fascinating on 15:09 - Mar 18 by giant_stow

We don't agree but fair enough and apologies if my last reply was a bit agro.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2020 15:09]

Not at all.

No worries.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024