Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
AnyTWTD virus job losses yet? 08:48 - Mar 19 with 6349 viewsartsbossbeard

We had a briefing yesterday when Boss Man has hit the panic button and advised that the company can't continue to operate at current levels if new projects/customers aren't buying.

Funnily enough, he was using a dashboard/data model that I helped create to prove his point, so no doubt it's flawed, however, his point stands. Myself and one other have offered to take 6-8wks unpaid leave (rather me than some young lad with family and hefty mortgage) and he's mulling that over but admitted that this might not be enough.

Plenty of part time jobs at supermarkets I'm hearing.

Anyone else in the same boat??

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

AnyTWTD virus job losses yet? on 12:50 - Mar 19 with 2401 viewscolchesterchris

AnyTWTD virus job losses yet? on 11:47 - Mar 19 by Swansea_Blue

Balls, sorry to hear that.

We'll be in trouble eventually, ok for now though. Depends if there's any relief for the Universities. Not holding my breath on that. We've already seen a big hit from Brexit on projects and the demographic dip in 18 year olds on intake; this on top will have major ramifications. There's still much we don't know around forms of assessment for A levels and how that will all play out wrt next year's intake.

Same here. I actually start a new role at a different university on Monday which is going to be surreal as effectively going in to get the access I need to come back home again. Fingers crossed that nothing falls through between now and then. I'll be leading an admissions team so everything you've said below will be significant issues around the corner.

However, appreciate I'm still ok comparatively. Rang my Mum earlier and she was in tears because my sister has just been told she's been made redundant. Had just started to view flats to try and get on the property ladder (she's 28) so is obviously distraught.

Is anyone else honest enough to admit massively underestimating the impacts of this even a couple of weeks ago? This time a fortnight ago I was in Glasgow celebrating a 60th and it seemed list a distant thing that would cause problems but we'd just all carry on relatively as normal. Now it's decimating normal lives all over the place.

Poll: Hypothetically, we have £1M for January. What would you rather?

AnyTWTD virus job losses yet? on 14:09 - Mar 19 with 2356 viewstextbackup

Personally mine is the exact opposite. I’m coming to end of my 3 week shift cycle and have been asked to give my availability to cover on OT for my entire 2 week shift break. Unreal situation and one I am extremely grateful for. My wife is a hairdresser so in all honest she shouldn’t be working still but wants to give people that last cut to ‘see them through’

Will be a fair bit of working from home for me tho, whilst trying to teach the kids! Which will go from funny to frustrating quicker then PH fcked the club

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

AnyTWTD virus job losses yet? on 16:39 - Mar 19 with 2275 viewssoupytwist

My son has just had an email from the CEO of the Bills Restaurant chain to say that they are closing their restaurants from 7:00pm so that's his part-time job gone.
AnyTWTD virus job losses yet? on 20:41 - Mar 19 with 2204 viewsKeaneish

Mixed bag for me. I was planning to launch a new business in the upcoming weeks and was in advanced conversation to secure the investment. That’s on hold now, thankfully. No way the business would survive launching in the current circumstances.

On the flip side I haven’t been paid freelance work for three weeks and it’s all gone mysteriously quiet...

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

AnyTWTD virus job losses yet? on 21:51 - Mar 19 with 2168 viewsMJallday

I work for the worlds largest building society. our briefing is that were fine job wise as we don't have shareholders but ill probably get redeployed to a branch from Head office

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

AnyTWTD virus job losses yet? on 22:42 - Mar 19 with 2154 viewsBugs

One of my Neighbours has lost his job, he worked in hospitality, they are shutting the whole business down until this is over.
AnyTWTD virus job losses yet? on 23:04 - Mar 19 with 2137 viewsDublinBlue84

Working in the education sector, my job is safe although honestly morale is low right now.

There's the misconception that when the schools are off, we are all going to be off but it couldn't be further from the truth. There's a bit of uneasy tension at the moment about the requirements for those of us not self-isolating to come in until further notice, including next week despite having no students, when our work from next week could be done at home and some of the staff are doing it from home on a regular basis. Predictably the senior figures who are enforcing this, are working from home themselves.

There seems to be a somewhat laissez faire attitude towards staff. Since the announcement yesterday there's been zero communication with the staff about how they are effected. Even at this time it appears that money, league tables, statistics etc are seen as the most important thing and staff concerns are a distant second. I understand that the education sector is worried about funding, but employers have a duty to look after their workforce right now as well and understand peoples concerns.

We understand that our students have to be a number one priority and I know my colleagues would go to the end of the earth for our students and have done over recent days and will continue to do so, however when you're having trouble getting the powers that be to pay for extra cleaning to keep staff safe or even provide things for staff areas that are being provided for students in classrooms, but still enforcing staff to work in those conditions, when there are other options, just doesn't sit right with me.

I am lucky to have a job, but I have a number of people who could be deemed at high risk in my family, including a parent who lives on their own who has just had a serious operation and is in need of care and support from myself, so I simply cannot afford to get coronavirus as to do so would leave such people up ***** creek without a paddle, to be frank, so this is at the forefront of my mind right now and many colleagues are in similar position with elderly parents etc.

The human factor is very important ant some employers have been brilliant to their staff but there are also other ones who have not got the balance right between the people who avail of their products and services and their staff.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 23:08]

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

AnyTWTD virus job losses yet? on 23:05 - Mar 19 with 2133 viewsDoctor_Earman

Nope. My industry is booming.
Login to get fewer ads

AnyTWTD virus job losses yet? on 23:08 - Mar 19 with 2128 viewscatch74

A big company announcing to it’s suppliers it can’t pay them tomorrow. Surprised me as they should be making hay.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

AnyTWTD virus job losses yet? on 23:13 - Mar 19 with 2123 viewsMelford

I'm going to be laid off on Saturday. Do Mother's Day if we're still open. Then That's All Folks for a bit.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

AnyTWTD virus job losses yet? on 00:28 - Mar 20 with 2102 viewsStNeotsBlue

I'm a cabbie which I know is a popular trade on here, I think I'm screwed.
AnyTWTD virus job losses yet? on 05:38 - Mar 20 with 2054 viewsellerblue

My frau works for a car dealership and all the staff have had their hours halved, but luckily the german goverment make up 60% of the loss so should only lose about 500 euros per month, with the virus rules here in germany they can have no face to face contact with customers and it is virtually impossible to sell a car over the phone. It is starting to hit hard here Daimler, Volkswagen, Ford and Opel factories have closed down.Honestly i dont think the fraus company wil survive for many weeks longer.

Heinsberg Blue

AnyTWTD virus job losses yet? on 06:55 - Mar 20 with 2013 viewsDubtractor

Feel very fortunate that me and mrs dub have jobs that should be unaffected by this. Very fortunate indeed.

Already have a few friends losing/lost jobs.

This is going to be a rough year for a lot of people.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

AnyTWTD virus job losses yet? on 07:27 - Mar 20 with 1979 viewsitfcjoe

AnyTWTD virus job losses yet? on 21:51 - Mar 19 by MJallday

I work for the worlds largest building society. our briefing is that were fine job wise as we don't have shareholders but ill probably get redeployed to a branch from Head office

Must be the same company as my wife, she is on holiday this week - even though we are just social distancing but they are now trying to claim all staff in branch are required as key workers (she is a later life adviser)

Seems a lack of continuity planning as surely just a skeleton service needs to be covered? It’s a massive pain as nursery is shut and whilst I am mainly able to WFH I can’t do so with a 3 year old and a 1 year old - and still have the odd site meeting

Hopefully she can be off, even if unpaid or WFH as we can then split childcare- I think she may have already had the virus but 111 said no. Tough to know but my business can’t just be left to flounder whilst she stands around in a banking ball doing f all

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

AnyTWTD virus job losses yet? on 07:37 - Mar 20 with 1954 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Continuing to self isolate as usual in various gardens and country estates. Consider myself very lucky right now....Junior slave, not so much so, will likely be bored senseless!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

AnyTWTD virus job losses yet? on 11:05 - Mar 20 with 1907 viewsluckydiddy

AnyTWTD virus job losses yet? on 10:07 - Mar 19 by bluebud

Got the bullet yesterday.

Seriously, if any one has any work or somehing to do/help...let me know please.

Day 1, hour and a half in and I'm bored out my tree.

Son in Law has been told hes getting laid off...

As others have said supermarkets are taking on people on temporary contracts and at short notice. Could be worth going round the supermarkets with passport, and/or full birth certificate/proof of national insurance and asking to speak to manager responsible for HR.

Vacancies across all departments especially shelf stacking online order picking and deliveries.
AnyTWTD virus job losses yet? on 11:30 - Mar 20 with 1875 viewsDeano69

AnyTWTD virus job losses yet? on 23:04 - Mar 19 by DublinBlue84

Working in the education sector, my job is safe although honestly morale is low right now.

There's the misconception that when the schools are off, we are all going to be off but it couldn't be further from the truth. There's a bit of uneasy tension at the moment about the requirements for those of us not self-isolating to come in until further notice, including next week despite having no students, when our work from next week could be done at home and some of the staff are doing it from home on a regular basis. Predictably the senior figures who are enforcing this, are working from home themselves.

There seems to be a somewhat laissez faire attitude towards staff. Since the announcement yesterday there's been zero communication with the staff about how they are effected. Even at this time it appears that money, league tables, statistics etc are seen as the most important thing and staff concerns are a distant second. I understand that the education sector is worried about funding, but employers have a duty to look after their workforce right now as well and understand peoples concerns.

We understand that our students have to be a number one priority and I know my colleagues would go to the end of the earth for our students and have done over recent days and will continue to do so, however when you're having trouble getting the powers that be to pay for extra cleaning to keep staff safe or even provide things for staff areas that are being provided for students in classrooms, but still enforcing staff to work in those conditions, when there are other options, just doesn't sit right with me.

I am lucky to have a job, but I have a number of people who could be deemed at high risk in my family, including a parent who lives on their own who has just had a serious operation and is in need of care and support from myself, so I simply cannot afford to get coronavirus as to do so would leave such people up ***** creek without a paddle, to be frank, so this is at the forefront of my mind right now and many colleagues are in similar position with elderly parents etc.

The human factor is very important ant some employers have been brilliant to their staff but there are also other ones who have not got the balance right between the people who avail of their products and services and their staff.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 23:08]

Mrs Deano in a similar position. She is being told that she has to work her contracted hours regardless.

It could mean there are more staff in the school than kids!

So much for encouraging 'stay at home'...

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

AnyTWTD virus job losses yet? on 11:46 - Mar 20 with 1856 viewssoupytwist

AnyTWTD virus job losses yet? on 11:30 - Mar 20 by Deano69

Mrs Deano in a similar position. She is being told that she has to work her contracted hours regardless.

It could mean there are more staff in the school than kids!

So much for encouraging 'stay at home'...

I can't believe any school would do that unless they genuinely can't provide a safe environment (which would include at least one first aider, one person who is safeguarding trained etc.) without every single member of staff at all times.

I know one head teacher who works in a school in a challenging area who says that this is the toughest thing they have ever done. They're really concerned about some of their more vulnerable children given the long period of time this is likely to be in place for.
AnyTWTD virus job losses yet? on 19:07 - Mar 20 with 1796 viewsMJallday

AnyTWTD virus job losses yet? on 07:27 - Mar 20 by itfcjoe

Must be the same company as my wife, she is on holiday this week - even though we are just social distancing but they are now trying to claim all staff in branch are required as key workers (she is a later life adviser)

Seems a lack of continuity planning as surely just a skeleton service needs to be covered? It’s a massive pain as nursery is shut and whilst I am mainly able to WFH I can’t do so with a 3 year old and a 1 year old - and still have the odd site meeting

Hopefully she can be off, even if unpaid or WFH as we can then split childcare- I think she may have already had the virus but 111 said no. Tough to know but my business can’t just be left to flounder whilst she stands around in a banking ball doing f all

With a head office based In Wiltshire..? If so yes it’s likely she’s a colleague then

The branch guys and girls have it tough especially being member facing so in terms of what we do, they are critical (I’m less so as I work in a non member facing role - but that’s why I’ve been asked if I can be redeployed

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024