Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Even their own cheerleaders are turning... 19:00 - Apr 9 with 8466 viewsmonytowbray

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-doctor-who-warned-prime-minister-about-pp

This is a pretty grim indication of the kind of job we are doing. Wasn’t PPE due last week?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Even their own cheerleaders are turning... on 16:34 - Apr 10 with 604 viewslongtimefan

Even their own cheerleaders are turning... on 16:18 - Apr 10 by monytowbray

Cuts may have been the wrong word and I apologise there. But a report being suppressed we were underprepared is pretty damning.

But we do also have a shortage of beds and staff of which cuts do impact on how we cope with this. Throw “herd immunity” into that mix and here we are.

All these dots connect as to how we are coping.

We would undoubtably be in a better position with a better funded NHS (not necessarily less deaths) but it’s important to point out that current ITU occupancy is not swamped fortunately. We supposedly have 8000 ventilators and currently around 3500 virus sufferers in ITU.
Even their own cheerleaders are turning... on 16:41 - Apr 10 with 591 viewsmonytowbray

Even their own cheerleaders are turning... on 16:34 - Apr 10 by longtimefan

We would undoubtably be in a better position with a better funded NHS (not necessarily less deaths) but it’s important to point out that current ITU occupancy is not swamped fortunately. We supposedly have 8000 ventilators and currently around 3500 virus sufferers in ITU.

Lock down may have been just in time to stop is getting overwhelmed I hope, but we could have saved more lives.

TWTD never forgets…

Even their own cheerleaders are turning... on 16:49 - Apr 10 with 581 viewsChurchman

Even their own cheerleaders are turning... on 16:22 - Apr 10 by xrayspecs

I work in the health sector and have day to day dealings with a number of senior folk in the NHS. They started planning for Covid19 in Jan/Feb, which included sourcing necessary supplies.

The challenge they faced was two-fold. The level of PPE/healthcare resources needed for Covid19 in the UK alone is simply many, many time what you need in normal times. Think about how many extra beds are being created including multiple Nightingale hospitals, how much critical care kit (ventilators, CPAP, oxygen) we need. That staff are having to change their PPE kit multiple times each day. It is also critical care medicines, the production of which has been ramped up globally but this is also struggling to keep pace.

No sensible healthcare system would have these levels of resource in their supply chain in normal times as most of the kit would go out of date before it is used.

The second issue was that as soon as healthcare systems realised what was happening in China was going to play out all over the world, then everyone was trying to stock up at the same time. It is a more serious version of what has happened in the supermarkets, the demand far exceeded the short term supply, so shortages were common.

The NHS is actually very good at procuring supplies in normal times, it uses its dominant purchasing position quite effectively. I cannot comment on whether supplies are wasted once in the system.

NHS "underfunding" is simply not an issue here, it is the global imbalance between demand and supply. The government has given the NHS a blank cheque to manage Covid19, as it has to the broader economy, more or less. So you are clutching at straws with that point.

Hope this helps?

Thanks for this. Aside from people such as BlueBadger who are working directly with those affected, your account is one of the few that is first hand as opposed to the hysterical rubbish written in the press or shrieked out on the BBC & co.
Even their own cheerleaders are turning... on 16:52 - Apr 10 with 577 viewsmonytowbray

Even their own cheerleaders are turning... on 16:49 - Apr 10 by Churchman

Thanks for this. Aside from people such as BlueBadger who are working directly with those affected, your account is one of the few that is first hand as opposed to the hysterical rubbish written in the press or shrieked out on the BBC & co.

Doesn’t help there are clear comms issues and lies coming out of No. 10 though.

TWTD never forgets…

Even their own cheerleaders are turning... on 17:03 - Apr 10 with 570 viewslongtimefan

Even their own cheerleaders are turning... on 16:22 - Apr 10 by xrayspecs

I work in the health sector and have day to day dealings with a number of senior folk in the NHS. They started planning for Covid19 in Jan/Feb, which included sourcing necessary supplies.

The challenge they faced was two-fold. The level of PPE/healthcare resources needed for Covid19 in the UK alone is simply many, many time what you need in normal times. Think about how many extra beds are being created including multiple Nightingale hospitals, how much critical care kit (ventilators, CPAP, oxygen) we need. That staff are having to change their PPE kit multiple times each day. It is also critical care medicines, the production of which has been ramped up globally but this is also struggling to keep pace.

No sensible healthcare system would have these levels of resource in their supply chain in normal times as most of the kit would go out of date before it is used.

The second issue was that as soon as healthcare systems realised what was happening in China was going to play out all over the world, then everyone was trying to stock up at the same time. It is a more serious version of what has happened in the supermarkets, the demand far exceeded the short term supply, so shortages were common.

The NHS is actually very good at procuring supplies in normal times, it uses its dominant purchasing position quite effectively. I cannot comment on whether supplies are wasted once in the system.

NHS "underfunding" is simply not an issue here, it is the global imbalance between demand and supply. The government has given the NHS a blank cheque to manage Covid19, as it has to the broader economy, more or less. So you are clutching at straws with that point.

Hope this helps?

Just to highlight the size of the issues being faced that your excellent post describes, I’ve just seen the following tweet detailing the amount of PPE delivered just yesterday. No idea how to link a tweet I’m afraid

“Over 29 million personal protective equipment (PPE) items were delivered to 268 trusts and organisations yesterday – including 14 million gloves, over 8.7 million aprons, over 744 thousand surgical masks, over 487 thousand FFP3 masks and nearly 171 thousand eye protectors.”
Even their own cheerleaders are turning... on 17:12 - Apr 10 with 555 viewsmonytowbray

Even their own cheerleaders are turning... on 17:03 - Apr 10 by longtimefan

Just to highlight the size of the issues being faced that your excellent post describes, I’ve just seen the following tweet detailing the amount of PPE delivered just yesterday. No idea how to link a tweet I’m afraid

“Over 29 million personal protective equipment (PPE) items were delivered to 268 trusts and organisations yesterday – including 14 million gloves, over 8.7 million aprons, over 744 thousand surgical masks, over 487 thousand FFP3 masks and nearly 171 thousand eye protectors.”

That’s good to hear.

TWTD never forgets…

Even their own cheerleaders are turning... on 20:47 - Apr 10 with 491 viewsjeera

Even their own cheerleaders are turning... on 21:59 - Apr 9 by StokieBlue

There is but not on the scale required and it's not easy to go from making clothes to virus-proof PPE equipment.

In France the luxury clothes brands have started making PPE but they are much more sophisticated and it still took them weeks to convert their manufacturing.

I don't understand your last sentence I am afraid, I might be being dumb.

SB

No, it's not you. I wasn't making myself clear.

Too lazy to articulate myself properly.

I'll get back to you over the weekend because the thread has got a bit much for me to deal with atm.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Even their own cheerleaders are turning... on 01:24 - Apr 11 with 436 viewsEly_Blue

Even their own cheerleaders are turning... on 15:35 - Apr 10 by monytowbray

Perhaps you should go off and source some evidence that’s what is happening then, because the government is responsible for allocating budget to it.

Much like if your CEO isn’t giving you money for biros, there’s not a lot your manager can do.

What a ridiculous thing to say, ultimately it isn’t for the man on the street (in this case the doctor) to complain that his CEO at head office (in this case the government) hasn’t got him the things he needs to do his job.

When the demand and need for this has exponentially increased over the last few weeks is it any wonder that there is a shortage? You do realise that PPE has a shelf life don’t you?

Imagine what you would be saying if there was a report that we had masses of PPE that was having to be discarded because we had stockpiled “for a rainy day” and that some doctor had come out saying millions of £ of stock was being thrown away because it was out of date and couldn’t be relied upon to be safe to use?

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024