Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TWTD's cycling massive 11:59 - Apr 17 with 2262 viewsbluelagos

Lovely day out there :-)

Switched from the MTB to the roadbike today for the first time, still got to change a few bits, like the seat and get some clip ons. Bought the pedals, cleats and shoes online but the shoes don't fit so going to have to wait til post lockdown to actually try some on in a shop (Twtd eh)

Anyhow - defo easier/quicker on the hills - have old style staps that your feet go on which seemed to get more out of my legs. Any tips on starting? Found myself with 1 foot in and messing around trying to get the other foot in without falling off or riding into the path of anyone - far from easy.

And the legs defo ache more than yesterday - quads especially - but guessing that is a good thing as it shows I was working harder on those hills?

Any other tips gratefully received :-)
#reclaimthelanes
#getoutside

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

TWTD's cycling massive on 12:06 - Apr 17 with 1116 viewsmonytowbray

Oh god and they say I ask for trouble and press buttons ;)

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

TWTD's cycling massive on 12:08 - Apr 17 with 1110 viewsbluelagos

TWTD's cycling massive on 12:06 - Apr 17 by monytowbray

Oh god and they say I ask for trouble and press buttons ;)

There is an ignore button, which I would respectfully invite anyone struggling with my posts to use.

TWTD's cycling massive on 12:10 - Apr 17 with 1101 viewsmonytowbray

TWTD's cycling massive on 12:08 - Apr 17 by bluelagos

There is an ignore button, which I would respectfully invite anyone struggling with my posts to use.

Last time Gav checked 18 people had me on ignore. The truth is a hard beast to swallow.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

TWTD's cycling massive on 12:12 - Apr 17 with 1098 viewsbluelagos

TWTD's cycling massive on 12:10 - Apr 17 by monytowbray

Last time Gav checked 18 people had me on ignore. The truth is a hard beast to swallow.

Only ever been told I was on ignore once. Sure there's been many more!

I would genuinely happily hide my posts from a few on here if that was available. Gav - get on it ;-)

TWTD's cycling massive on 12:21 - Apr 17 with 1077 viewsfabian_illness

Why are there strange gaps between your post bluelagos?
TWTD's cycling massive on 12:22 - Apr 17 with 1074 viewsbluelagos

TWTD's cycling massive on 12:21 - Apr 17 by fabian_illness

Why are there strange gaps between your post bluelagos?

Very good :-)

TWTD's cycling massive on 12:24 - Apr 17 with 1070 viewsgordon

Get a decent brooks leather saddle if you're planning long rides on roads, you'll use it for the rest of your life:
https://www.brooksengland.com/en_uk/saddles/touring-trekking.html
TWTD's cycling massive on 12:26 - Apr 17 with 1068 viewsbluelagos

TWTD's cycling massive on 12:24 - Apr 17 by gordon

Get a decent brooks leather saddle if you're planning long rides on roads, you'll use it for the rest of your life:
https://www.brooksengland.com/en_uk/saddles/touring-trekking.html

Thanks. They do come highly recommended - so may well check em out. Frustrating that the cycling shops all seem to be click and collect only at the moment.

Login to get fewer ads

TWTD's cycling massive on 13:01 - Apr 17 with 1033 viewsBasuco

Good to hear you are broadening your cycling experience, with regards to starting you will soon get used to it with practice, you could spend 10 - 15 minutes a day stopping and starting every few yards, try not to look down as well, you will surprisingly quickly know exactly where the pedal is and I think it is easier without looking. With the toe straps tightened or with clip on pedals try to concentrate on "turning" the pedals so that power is delivered through both pedals evenly through 360 degrees. Do not just do the push , push down on each pedal. You use different muscles for climbing so may feel the effort differently. The pro cyclists do specific mountain climbing training just before the Tour de France to build up the climbing muscles. It is strange that when out on the bike nothing else in the world seems to matter, pure enjoyment of the fresh air, lovely countryside and seeing birds and animals that you would not see if driving. Enjoy.
TWTD's cycling massive on 13:10 - Apr 17 with 1016 viewsEwan_Oozami

There's a whole world of guff online about how to fit cleats comfortably, depending on the bike, your riding style, what type of riding you'll be doing. The only thing I'd say, is be prepared to do a little bit of fine adjustment

I presume you've got SPD-type pedals and cleats? And are they double-sided? SPD cleats can open differently:

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/12954872/spd-cleats-sh51-versus-sh56

Get to know what type of pedals and cleats you've got - best way to test is lean up against a wall and practice getting your feet in and out of the pedals - also get used to anticipating taking your left foot out well before you need to...

I'm heading off out for a couple of hours this afternoon - got some new shoes I need to wear in! :-)
[Post edited 17 Apr 2020 13:11]

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

TWTD's cycling massive on 13:11 - Apr 17 with 1011 viewsbluelagos

TWTD's cycling massive on 13:01 - Apr 17 by Basuco

Good to hear you are broadening your cycling experience, with regards to starting you will soon get used to it with practice, you could spend 10 - 15 minutes a day stopping and starting every few yards, try not to look down as well, you will surprisingly quickly know exactly where the pedal is and I think it is easier without looking. With the toe straps tightened or with clip on pedals try to concentrate on "turning" the pedals so that power is delivered through both pedals evenly through 360 degrees. Do not just do the push , push down on each pedal. You use different muscles for climbing so may feel the effort differently. The pro cyclists do specific mountain climbing training just before the Tour de France to build up the climbing muscles. It is strange that when out on the bike nothing else in the world seems to matter, pure enjoyment of the fresh air, lovely countryside and seeing birds and animals that you would not see if driving. Enjoy.

Cheers.

Think one of the straps was a bit tight - hence hard to get my foot in. Was wondering about finding a wall/tree/lampost - so I could balance and put them both in. Only issue is that you then have a high kerb to get down :-(

TWTD's cycling massive on 13:17 - Apr 17 with 1001 viewsEwan_Oozami

TWTD's cycling massive on 13:11 - Apr 17 by bluelagos

Cheers.

Think one of the straps was a bit tight - hence hard to get my foot in. Was wondering about finding a wall/tree/lampost - so I could balance and put them both in. Only issue is that you then have a high kerb to get down :-(

Also, one thing that could help to start with is reducing the lock-in tension on the pedals?

TWTD's cycling massive on 13:19 - Apr 17 with 1000 viewsbluelagos

TWTD's cycling massive on 13:10 - Apr 17 by Ewan_Oozami

There's a whole world of guff online about how to fit cleats comfortably, depending on the bike, your riding style, what type of riding you'll be doing. The only thing I'd say, is be prepared to do a little bit of fine adjustment

I presume you've got SPD-type pedals and cleats? And are they double-sided? SPD cleats can open differently:

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/12954872/spd-cleats-sh51-versus-sh56

Get to know what type of pedals and cleats you've got - best way to test is lean up against a wall and practice getting your feet in and out of the pedals - also get used to anticipating taking your left foot out well before you need to...

I'm heading off out for a couple of hours this afternoon - got some new shoes I need to wear in! :-)
[Post edited 17 Apr 2020 13:11]

So I bought SPD pedals, cleats and shoes - and the shoes were too small. Returned the shoes but the shop said I couldn't try on alternatives so decided to wait til post lockdown for now.

So am on original pedals which have straps that your feet go into. Will defo use the SPD thing once the shops are fully open.

TWTD's cycling massive on 13:30 - Apr 17 with 991 viewsazuremerlangus

Just to add to the other comments:

Clip one foot in before setting off - you can pedal with one foot until you get the other one in!

When getting used to unclipping try to do it with the same foot every time - you will get into the habit/develop muscle-memory quicker.

Also unclip early whilst you still have momentum (and time) to recover if you don't need to stop and prevents a last-minute panic if you do need to stop!!

Road bike seats: my experience is that you may need to try a few before settling on one. Initially they are all uncomfortable to a certain extent - getting the mileage in will help getting your "sit-bones" developed and it will get easier.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

TWTD's cycling massive on 13:31 - Apr 17 with 987 viewsfactual_blue

Some more good news on the cycling front

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/215299/West-Suffolk-Wheelers-Ix

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

TWTD's cycling massive on 13:37 - Apr 17 with 964 viewsbluelagos

TWTD's cycling massive on 13:31 - Apr 17 by factual_blue

Some more good news on the cycling front

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/215299/West-Suffolk-Wheelers-Ix

Factors you nasty scamp. Bet you were hoping for the lockdown extension!

TWTD's cycling massive on 13:40 - Apr 17 with 962 viewsSwansea_Blue

TWTD's cycling massive on 13:19 - Apr 17 by bluelagos

So I bought SPD pedals, cleats and shoes - and the shoes were too small. Returned the shoes but the shop said I couldn't try on alternatives so decided to wait til post lockdown for now.

So am on original pedals which have straps that your feet go into. Will defo use the SPD thing once the shops are fully open.

Straps shouldn't be too much trouble. Make sure they're both undone, one foot in, start off and then slide the other foot in. Might take a bit of digging around if the pedal turns and the straps swing underneath.

Even if the straps do end up underneath you 'should' have enough clearance above the road. Just start of with one pedal upside down if you have to and then when you've got a bit of speed up you can coast along while fiddling to get the other strap on properly. Give each strap a yank to tighten the and then off you go.

Stopping is just the reverse. Anticipate any stops and loosen the straps before otherwise you'll have an ungraceful low speed topple!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

TWTD's cycling massive on 13:52 - Apr 17 with 947 viewsGeoffSentence

I wouldn't include myself in the massive, what with only having an uber-cheap hybrid boneshaker, but I do enjoy a nice ride and as I have a day of today I went for a 20 miler this morning, a bit longer than I normally do. Took an hour and a half and in that time I saw 14 cars, 4 other cyclists and 3 joggers. There's plenty of space in the backlanes of the Ipswich-Shotley-Sudbury Golden Triangle for a few more to get out there yet and still be more isolated than at home.

I should also add that over the last few weeks I have discovered that Suffolk has some surprisingly tough old hills.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

TWTD's cycling massive on 14:11 - Apr 17 with 934 viewsbluelagos

TWTD's cycling massive on 13:52 - Apr 17 by GeoffSentence

I wouldn't include myself in the massive, what with only having an uber-cheap hybrid boneshaker, but I do enjoy a nice ride and as I have a day of today I went for a 20 miler this morning, a bit longer than I normally do. Took an hour and a half and in that time I saw 14 cars, 4 other cyclists and 3 joggers. There's plenty of space in the backlanes of the Ipswich-Shotley-Sudbury Golden Triangle for a few more to get out there yet and still be more isolated than at home.

I should also add that over the last few weeks I have discovered that Suffolk has some surprisingly tough old hills.

Toughest hill I've done is Mill Hill coming from Dedham towards Lawford. The other day I was maybe an hour in to a ride, so not fresh....

A guy came out of his house at the bottom of the hill and ran past me ffs.

That was quite deflating, but apparently not uncommon on tough hills according to a couple of cyclists I know.

TWTD's cycling massive on 14:32 - Apr 17 with 903 viewsElephantintheRoom

If its not too late shimano shoes and spd clips are a good combination. You can fit them in 'normal shoes' so you dont walk like a penguin... and they fit mtb and road pedals and dual pedals a treat....so you could if you want have the same shoes for all bikes.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

TWTD's cycling massive on 14:45 - Apr 17 with 888 viewsgordon

TWTD's cycling massive on 14:11 - Apr 17 by bluelagos

Toughest hill I've done is Mill Hill coming from Dedham towards Lawford. The other day I was maybe an hour in to a ride, so not fresh....

A guy came out of his house at the bottom of the hill and ran past me ffs.

That was quite deflating, but apparently not uncommon on tough hills according to a couple of cyclists I know.

There are no hills in East Anglia. The Bealach Na Ba is a hill.
TWTD's cycling massive on 14:59 - Apr 17 with 880 viewsjaykay

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

TWTD's cycling massive on 15:13 - Apr 17 with 870 viewsbluelagos

TWTD's cycling massive on 14:32 - Apr 17 by ElephantintheRoom

If its not too late shimano shoes and spd clips are a good combination. You can fit them in 'normal shoes' so you dont walk like a penguin... and they fit mtb and road pedals and dual pedals a treat....so you could if you want have the same shoes for all bikes.

That is exactly what I have bought and are waiting to go on the bike, once I source some shoes that fit.

TWTD's cycling massive on 15:13 - Apr 17 with 870 viewsEwan_Oozami

TWTD's cycling massive on 13:40 - Apr 17 by Swansea_Blue

Straps shouldn't be too much trouble. Make sure they're both undone, one foot in, start off and then slide the other foot in. Might take a bit of digging around if the pedal turns and the straps swing underneath.

Even if the straps do end up underneath you 'should' have enough clearance above the road. Just start of with one pedal upside down if you have to and then when you've got a bit of speed up you can coast along while fiddling to get the other strap on properly. Give each strap a yank to tighten the and then off you go.

Stopping is just the reverse. Anticipate any stops and loosen the straps before otherwise you'll have an ungraceful low speed topple!

Make absolutely sure you have the straps setup correctly so they can't slide around and that the buckles are in the right place! :-)

http://www.bike-manual.com/brands/trek/om/hybrid/toe_clips.htm

TWTD's cycling massive on 15:18 - Apr 17 with 865 viewseireblue

TWTD's cycling massive on 12:26 - Apr 17 by bluelagos

Thanks. They do come highly recommended - so may well check em out. Frustrating that the cycling shops all seem to be click and collect only at the moment.

Go for Brooks Cambian range.

No dead cows, also, no running in, instantly comfortable.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024