Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hidden gems of movies 15:45 - Apr 18 with 8340 viewsBrixtonBlue

What are some really great movies that are perhaps less well known?

My vote goes to Chronicle (2012). It's a 'super-powers' movie, but nothing like a regular super-powers movie. Done in a handheld camera documentary style (but not shaky) it's about some teens who find some weird crystals and begin developing super powers (and one of them chronicles the events as they unfold on his handheld camera).

What makes this different is that they don't solve crime or save the world from aliens (which is why I said super-powers rather than superhero). Instead they lark about pulling pranks, just like real teens would. This is what I love about it; the realism. They act like teens would if they started developing the ability to fly, telekinesis etc.

If you liked District 9 and Arrival in how they attempted to portray alien invasion in a realistic way, then this is the 'humans gaining super powers' equivalent.

It's quite dark as well, as one of the teens starts to go a bit crazy... but I won't spoil it by saying any more.

Whenever I mention Chronicle most people have never heard of it, so this is my vote for 'hidden gem'.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Hidden gems of movies on 16:07 - Apr 21 with 913 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Rec.

Fundamentals of Caring

Submarine
Hidden gems of movies on 16:16 - Apr 21 with 900 viewsazuremerlangus

The whoopee boys

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Hidden gems of movies on 17:43 - Apr 21 with 875 viewsWeWereZombies

Hidden gems of movies on 16:05 - Apr 18 by jeera

Reminder for anyone who likes this story that the National Theatre Live take on it is still available on YouTube (until 'Twelfth Night' replaces it at seven on Thursday evening):

However I feel it is only fair to warn traditionalists that in this version the cabin boy is a girl.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2020 17:54]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Hidden gems of movies on 18:31 - Apr 21 with 849 viewsArgyle_blue

For a hidden gem of an animation try ‘song of the sea’.
Hidden gems of movies on 20:14 - Apr 21 with 826 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Isle of Dogs, Wes Andersons stop animation film.

Or does that fail the "hidden" criteria?

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Hidden gems of movies on 20:51 - Apr 21 with 813 viewsMoriarty

Tropic Thunder

fka omuircheartaigh

Hidden gems of movies on 20:53 - Apr 21 with 813 viewsMoriarty

fka omuircheartaigh

Hidden gems of movies on 20:59 - Apr 21 with 806 viewsLord_Lucan

Hidden gems of movies on 18:42 - Apr 18 by Funge

Glengarry Glen Ross.

It's the absolute tits.

Pacino, Kevin Spacey, Jack Lemmon, Ed Harris - and Alec Baldwin in easily his best ever role.

It's utterly brilliant, and not many people talk about it.

Get involved.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2020 18:43]

It's a great film.

I have been trying to get RKD to watch it for years but he has always refused - hooever, on your recommendation he took the DVD upstairs to watch it.

He came down after half an hour and proclaimed "It's sh1t"

He's a strange one, despite my recommendations he won't watch any film made before 1990. He refuses to watch Deerhunter!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

Hidden gems of movies on 21:00 - Apr 21 with 806 viewsLord_Lucan

Hidden gems of movies on 09:57 - Apr 19 by urbanblue

I do remember loving 'Who's life is it anyway' starring Richard Dreyfuss despite the subject matter putting me off even giving it a chance. Watched it a number of times after. Outstanding film.

On the subject of Richard Dreyfuss, Stakeout is brilliant.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Hidden gems of movies on 21:36 - Apr 21 with 792 viewsmarchy

Frailty
Gone Baby Gone
Train To Busan
Hidden gems of movies on 21:53 - Apr 21 with 784 viewsChurchman

Hidden gems of movies on 21:00 - Apr 21 by Lord_Lucan

On the subject of Richard Dreyfuss, Stakeout is brilliant.

I’m no film buff, but Stakeout is a top film. He also did a film before that called The Goodbye Girl with Marsha Mason. Beautifully made and acted. Well worth a watch. For something slightly more but not very recent, I really like Tombstone.

On the mini series front, I bought off eBay the other day for no money ‘Shackleton’ with Kenneth Branagh. It’s actually a docudrama in that it sticks very much to what happened to the 1914 Antarctic Expedition. An astonishing story.

For really old films, took a copy of The Dambusters to my dads the week before lockdown and it is still a great film, despite black and white, certain inaccuracies etc etc. Still worth wiling away an hour or two on.
Hidden gems of movies on 22:23 - Apr 21 with 770 viewsthecheek

Le Cop
Hidden gems of movies on 08:25 - Apr 22 with 716 viewsGeoffSentence

If you can find it anywhere 'The Matador' , Piers Brosnan as an assassin with one last job to do.

If you like action films this isn't your fella, slow moving but absorbing.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2020 8:29]

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024