Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hidden gems of movies 15:45 - Apr 18 with 8341 viewsBrixtonBlue

What are some really great movies that are perhaps less well known?

My vote goes to Chronicle (2012). It's a 'super-powers' movie, but nothing like a regular super-powers movie. Done in a handheld camera documentary style (but not shaky) it's about some teens who find some weird crystals and begin developing super powers (and one of them chronicles the events as they unfold on his handheld camera).

What makes this different is that they don't solve crime or save the world from aliens (which is why I said super-powers rather than superhero). Instead they lark about pulling pranks, just like real teens would. This is what I love about it; the realism. They act like teens would if they started developing the ability to fly, telekinesis etc.

If you liked District 9 and Arrival in how they attempted to portray alien invasion in a realistic way, then this is the 'humans gaining super powers' equivalent.

It's quite dark as well, as one of the teens starts to go a bit crazy... but I won't spoil it by saying any more.

Whenever I mention Chronicle most people have never heard of it, so this is my vote for 'hidden gem'.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Hidden gems of movies on 21:51 - Apr 19 with 1266 viewstopshout

If you like Asian Cinema then Red Cliff is head and shoulders against most and the production values are stagerring too.
Hidden gems of movies on 06:33 - Apr 20 with 1208 viewsWeWereZombies

For another take on 'realistic' science fiction shot in the last two decades give 'Another Earth' a watch, if only to see a feature film made using funding by credit cards.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Hidden gems of movies on 08:33 - Apr 20 with 1188 viewsFunge

Hidden gems of movies on 21:40 - Apr 18 by StNeotsBlue

Chronicle is an excellent shout, one of my favourites.
I'll put forward The Place Beyond the Pines, starts out seemingly as a standard heist movie but veers off in a totally unexpected direction, in a good way. A fantastic film.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2020 22:25]

Watched The Place Beyond The Pines last night, off the back of your recommendation - it's very good.

A film that you end up thinking about some time after it's finished, which is a god thing.
Hidden gems of movies on 08:42 - Apr 20 with 1183 viewsuefacup81

Electric Dreams

Cheesy mid-80s love-triangle fare, featuring a boy, a girl, and a computer (and a banging 80s electronica soundtrack featuring Giorgio Moroder and Jeff Lynne).

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Hidden gems of movies on 09:20 - Apr 20 with 1160 viewsFenboyBlue

If you're looking for movies so bad they're good, I'd recommend The Giant Claw (1957). I'd never heard of it before but it's up there with Plan 9 From Outer Space.
Hidden gems of movies on 09:21 - Apr 20 with 1159 viewsElephantintheRoom

Wild Things.

Denise Richards' finest moment. Even better than Starship Troopers

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Hidden gems of movies on 23:13 - Apr 20 with 1105 viewsdavblue

Hidden gems of movies on 16:03 - Apr 18 by BrixtonBlue

Great film but I wouldn't say it's a 'hidden' gem. Won a stack of awards including 3 Oscars and 3 Baftas.

You would find alot of people who havent heard of it.
Hidden gems of movies on 23:15 - Apr 20 with 1101 viewsjeera

Hidden gems of movies on 09:21 - Apr 20 by ElephantintheRoom

Wild Things.

Denise Richards' finest moment. Even better than Starship Troopers

Rubbish film but she did look nice.

Wasn't that the one with Neve Campbell too?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Hidden gems of movies on 23:28 - Apr 20 with 1091 viewsBrixtonBlue

Hidden gems of movies on 23:13 - Apr 20 by davblue

Well, technically, I guess. I think if people haven't heard of a 3-times Oscar and Bafta winning movie, they're probably not much into films.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great movie. But something that's won an Oscar, by it's very nature, isn't
a 'hidden' gem.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Hidden gems of movies on 23:30 - Apr 20 with 1088 viewsjeera

Hidden gems of movies on 23:13 - Apr 20 by davblue

You knew the rules when you signed up Dav.

You knew how this was gonna play out.

You're done man.

Hidden gems of movies on 01:16 - Apr 21 with 1060 viewsBrixtonBlue

Hidden gems of movies on 23:30 - Apr 20 by jeera

You knew the rules when you signed up Dav.

You knew how this was gonna play out.

You're done man.

You really have a problem with me don't you Jeera? Anything that doesn't absolutely praise everyone and you're on it. Don't read my posts if they bother you that much.

Hidden gems of movies on 01:25 - Apr 21 with 1058 viewsjeera

Hidden gems of movies on 01:16 - Apr 21 by BrixtonBlue

You really have a problem with me don't you Jeera? Anything that doesn't absolutely praise everyone and you're on it. Don't read my posts if they bother you that much.

I thought it was funny.

I assumed you would too.

Edit: So on the contrary I thought you were on a similar level regarding self-deprecating humour.

Edit, edit: If you saw it that way then we need a reset.

I'm actually now a bit irritated that you thought I had some 'problem' with you because of a light-hearted post to someone else that was obviously a joke.

If you mean you've been rude to a few posters for no reason recently and other people have noticed, including me, then that's nothing to do with me. I'm not responsible for your behaviour.

This thread has nothing to do with that. Again, I'm not responsible for you.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2020 2:43]

Hidden gems of movies on 07:37 - Apr 21 with 990 viewsWeWereZombies

Hidden gems of movies on 01:25 - Apr 21 by jeera

I thought it was funny.

I assumed you would too.

Edit: So on the contrary I thought you were on a similar level regarding self-deprecating humour.

I'm actually now a bit irritated that you thought I had some 'problem' with you because of a light-hearted post to someone else that was obviously a joke.

If you mean you've been rude to a few posters for no reason recently and other people have noticed, including me, then that's nothing to do with me. I'm not responsible for your behaviour.

Hidden gems of movies on 07:44 - Apr 21 with 986 viewsTractorWood

Office space
Ex Machina

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Hidden gems of movies on 07:47 - Apr 21 with 987 viewsBrixtonBlue

Hidden gems of movies on 01:25 - Apr 21 by jeera

I thought it was funny.

I assumed you would too.

Well this post is all over the place, and edited at quarter to 3 in the morning. Are you alright fella? I wouldn't want you not sleeping because of me!

"If you mean you've been rude to a few posters for no reason recently and other people have noticed, including me, then that's nothing to do with me."

Classic TWTD argument tactic; bring 'other posters' into it to make it look like lots of people agree with you, and then deny it's anything to do with you. You're the only one following me around making these little snidey comments. Just own it.

I certainly don't think I've been rude here, and in fact this was a perfectly harmless and pleasant thread until you waded in with your size 9s.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2020 7:52]

Hidden gems of movies on 07:49 - Apr 21 with 984 viewsBrixtonBlue

Hidden gems of movies on 07:44 - Apr 21 by TractorWood

Office space
Ex Machina

Very different films but both good shouts.

Hidden gems of movies on 08:30 - Apr 21 with 964 viewsGeoffSentence

Hidden gems of movies on 21:42 - Apr 18 by BanksterDebtSlave

About to give Leave No Trace a watch with the family Slave.

Edit...great watch Mr Sentence, right up our avenue!
[Post edited 18 Apr 2020 23:39]

You might also enjoy Hunt For The Wilder People. Not sure if it is still on Netflix. It is a New Zealand independent film with some similar themes, screwed up lad, fostered with a grumpy old fvcker, they go on the run from the authorities. This one has a comedy side to it, but it works.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Hidden gems of movies on 08:36 - Apr 21 with 962 viewsStokieBlue

Gattaca seems to be an film which isn't widely watched for some reason.

District 9 isn't about an alien invasion though :).

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Hidden gems of movies on 08:38 - Apr 21 with 959 viewsHerbivore

Hidden gems of movies on 08:30 - Apr 21 by GeoffSentence

You might also enjoy Hunt For The Wilder People. Not sure if it is still on Netflix. It is a New Zealand independent film with some similar themes, screwed up lad, fostered with a grumpy old fvcker, they go on the run from the authorities. This one has a comedy side to it, but it works.

It's a very good film.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Hidden gems of movies on 09:44 - Apr 21 with 941 viewsWeWereZombies

Hidden gems of movies on 08:38 - Apr 21 by Herbivore

It's a very good film.

And Sam Neill makes an impressive grumpy old man. The young boy is great too, as is the 'angry as a TWTD poster having a meltdown' Maori policewoman.

Hidden gems of movies on 13:59 - Apr 21 with 900 viewsBrixtonBlue

Hidden gems of movies on 08:36 - Apr 21 by StokieBlue

Gattaca seems to be an film which isn't widely watched for some reason.

District 9 isn't about an alien invasion though :).

SB

Ha, well yeah. On the face of it it is, but I know what you mean.

I've seen Gattaca... was recommended it by my old film-buff boss... and it's an impressive 7.8 on IMDB... but I don't remember being that blown away. Maybe I built it up too much. Should probably give it another go.

Hidden gems of movies on 14:01 - Apr 21 with 898 viewsmanchego

Hidden gems of movies on 18:42 - Apr 18 by Funge

Glengarry Glen Ross.

It's the absolute tits.

Pacino, Kevin Spacey, Jack Lemmon, Ed Harris - and Alec Baldwin in easily his best ever role.

It's utterly brilliant, and not many people talk about it.

Get involved.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2020 18:43]

With music played by Wayne Shorter.
Hidden gems of movies on 14:57 - Apr 21 with 876 viewsflimflam

Wind River.

Not sure how unknown it is but noone I speak to has seen it.

Cracking film.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Hidden gems of movies on 15:07 - Apr 21 with 871 viewsRadlett_blue

"The Road", the 2009 adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's novel is excellent, if a little depressing to watch during the lock-down.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Hidden gems of movies on 15:33 - Apr 21 with 854 viewsFenboyBlue

A couple of years ago I watched a brilliant Korean movie called Veteran (2015). It's a crime drama about the Korean police squad battling drug syndicates. Sounds stereotypical but this was so much better than 95% of the usual American takes on this genre. Superb action and humour. And the main baddie was one of the worst ****s I've ever seen. You are really gunning for this guy to have his come-uppance before it ends. Cant believe Hollywood haven't remade it yet.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024