Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but 12:41 - May 5 with 3032 viewsPJH

I think the Premier League will mostly ignore it.

I think if and when 20/21 season starts there may well be some clubs missing and I very much hope that the PL gets hurt as badly as the EFL.

English football as it was is close to death in my opinion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52543735
EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 13:20 - May 5 with 2962 viewsITFC_Forever

The sooner it is killed off the better.

Then there will be no choice other than to re-start under a newer, more sustainable model. Until greed ruins it again anyway.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 09:51 - May 6 with 2814 viewsbrazil1982

I really do fear for clubs - I think the likes of Burnley should be alright, they have strict wage structures and should have a good reserve of funds. My local club, FC Halifax, only has income through ticket sales and advertising.
If any PL clubs struggle I have no feelings at all...a shame for the fans obviously but I don't care.

As Parry states, most clubs are run very close to the financial line, most over - the only solution is to furlough playing staff.

Perhaps this will give a shake up to player wages but I doubt it.
EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 10:11 - May 6 with 2789 viewsuefacup81

Problem is that the EPL holds all the cards.

If Parry wants to go down a route of denying entry to the EFL for clubs benefiting from the 'financial doping' of parachute payments, the EPL will just refuse to relegate clubs, stop solidarity payments, and just become a closed shop.

At that point, unless the FA take some drastic action by disregarding the EPL, and instead declare the EFL the 'official' league in England, the EFL will just disappear.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 10:24 - May 6 with 2768 viewsbritbiker

I listened to Mr Parry on the radio and he at least recognises the parachute payment problems. Unfortunately it is nothing more than us fans have known for years.
EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 10:28 - May 6 with 2758 viewsIpswichKnight

EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 10:11 - May 6 by uefacup81

If Parry wants to go down a route of denying entry to the EFL for clubs benefiting from the 'financial doping' of parachute payments, the EPL will just refuse to relegate clubs, stop solidarity payments, and just become a closed shop.

At that point, unless the FA take some drastic action by disregarding the EPL, and instead declare the EFL the 'official' league in England, the EFL will just disappear.

The EPL will inact EPL2 and invite certain clubs from the EFL to form it. The EFL will become like a minor league regional Baseball franchises kept alive by clubs in the EPL loaning out players to get experience of competitive football.
EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 10:35 - May 6 with 2743 viewsRadlett_blue

EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 10:24 - May 6 by britbiker

I listened to Mr Parry on the radio and he at least recognises the parachute payment problems. Unfortunately it is nothing more than us fans have known for years.

Parachute payments aren't the current problem, although they have created unsustainable wage inflation in the Championship. The real problem for the Football League is simple - the clubs cannot continue to pay their players with no match day revenue. Closed doors is not an option as it adds expense & only protects minimal TV revenue. Live streaming of games on a PPV basis also won't be more than a pinprick. If we assume that there will be no crowds in grounds in 2020 (not unreasonable) the players have to take wage cuts of 90% or the clubs will only survive if their owners are willing to keep writing blank cheques.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 12:31 - May 6 with 2680 viewsDennyx4

EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 09:51 - May 6 by brazil1982

I really do fear for clubs - I think the likes of Burnley should be alright, they have strict wage structures and should have a good reserve of funds. My local club, FC Halifax, only has income through ticket sales and advertising.
If any PL clubs struggle I have no feelings at all...a shame for the fans obviously but I don't care.

As Parry states, most clubs are run very close to the financial line, most over - the only solution is to furlough playing staff.

Perhaps this will give a shake up to player wages but I doubt it.

Could a club furlough player(s) that they did not want to keep.

Admittedly would allow the player potentially to leave for free - but may be a solution for some clubs?
EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 12:56 - May 6 with 2640 viewsuefacup81

EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 12:31 - May 6 by Dennyx4

Could a club furlough player(s) that they did not want to keep.

Admittedly would allow the player potentially to leave for free - but may be a solution for some clubs?

I don't think they could.

Furlough works for you and I because our contracts of employment are essentially "we will pay you £x a year, as long as there is a job for you". The furlough scheme comes into play because at the moment those jobs aren't there, and the alternative is redundancy.

Footballers' contracts are more along the lines of "we will pay you £x a week for the next x years". That's essentially non-negotiable, so if a club tried the furlough route on its players, they'd likely sue for breach of contract and enforce the payment of the full wage.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Login to get fewer ads

EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 13:06 - May 6 with 2629 viewsRadlett_blue

EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 12:56 - May 6 by uefacup81

I don't think they could.

Furlough works for you and I because our contracts of employment are essentially "we will pay you £x a year, as long as there is a job for you". The furlough scheme comes into play because at the moment those jobs aren't there, and the alternative is redundancy.

Footballers' contracts are more along the lines of "we will pay you £x a week for the next x years". That's essentially non-negotiable, so if a club tried the furlough route on its players, they'd likely sue for breach of contract and enforce the payment of the full wage.

I think you're right, but unless there is some certainty about when crowds can return to football, which may not be for a long time, how can any Football League club commit to its wage bill? If this situation goes on, say, until the end of 2020, there's going to be a string of administrations.

EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 13:13 - May 6 with 2612 viewshoppy

Can I just clarify something... when you say PL...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 13:35 - May 6 with 2581 viewsPJH

EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 13:13 - May 6 by hoppy

Can I just clarify something... when you say PL...

I wish no ill will on Mr Lambert but I do on the League that shares his initials.
EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 15:07 - May 6 with 2528 viewsbritbiker

EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 10:35 - May 6 by Radlett_blue

Parachute payments aren't the current problem, although they have created unsustainable wage inflation in the Championship. The real problem for the Football League is simple - the clubs cannot continue to pay their players with no match day revenue. Closed doors is not an option as it adds expense & only protects minimal TV revenue. Live streaming of games on a PPV basis also won't be more than a pinprick. If we assume that there will be no crowds in grounds in 2020 (not unreasonable) the players have to take wage cuts of 90% or the clubs will only survive if their owners are willing to keep writing blank cheques.

Sorry. I agree with your comments. I was however referring to his radio interview yesterday when he stated that the three relegated teams shouldn't receive such a huge payoff compared to the incomes of those clubs already in the championship. Sadly I also keep thinking that this relates directly to Ipswich. Still doesn't sink in that were not even at that level now.
EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 16:49 - May 6 with 2453 viewsLeaky

EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 13:20 - May 5 by ITFC_Forever

The sooner it is killed off the better.

Then there will be no choice other than to re-start under a newer, more sustainable model. Until greed ruins it again anyway.

The top teams will just go for a European super League. Its what they wanted all along.
EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 16:58 - May 6 with 2435 viewsLeaky

EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 10:11 - May 6 by uefacup81

Would the true football supporter accept a closed PL. Its all down to people paying tv subscription. Obviously pubs are going to be under financial pressure when they eventually are allowed to open are they still going to risk paying £2k a month for Sky . I remember when Chris & Joyce ran the Black Horse he worked it out he had to sell an extra 350 pints for every game he showed. That was some years ago.
EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 17:54 - May 6 with 2411 viewspointofblue

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league-defends-parachute-payme

As expected, the Premier League is not very happy as it’s very important these clubs have the financial support to compete. Of course, they could cut the amounts given to the top clubs instead to make it competitive but heaven forbid...

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 19:58 - May 6 with 2361 viewsbrogansnose

EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 10:28 - May 6 by IpswichKnight

The EPL will inact EPL2 and invite certain clubs from the EFL to form it. The EFL will become like a minor league regional Baseball franchises kept alive by clubs in the EPL loaning out players to get experience of competitive football.

Some of the Premier league clubs have been itching to have more 'input' into lower league clubs to get game time and experience. It wouldn't be beyond the realms of fantasy to see them see the buying out of financially wobbly clubs to act as second junior clubs. One thing that they're not going to do is spread the money about to support lower league clubs without some sort of direct benefit.
EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 10:14 - May 7 with 2208 viewsIpswichKnight

EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 19:58 - May 6 by brogansnose

Some of the Premier league clubs have been itching to have more 'input' into lower league clubs to get game time and experience. It wouldn't be beyond the realms of fantasy to see them see the buying out of financially wobbly clubs to act as second junior clubs. One thing that they're not going to do is spread the money about to support lower league clubs without some sort of direct benefit.

Totally agree on that you can see the likes of Chelsea buying the likes of Charlton for example to ensure they have a junior club to send there 1st year pro's too for game time, they are you rightly say are not going to give up a whack of there money to ensure that Charlton, Orient and Millwall survive for the long term.
EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 10:47 - May 7 with 2191 viewsJ2BLUE

EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 10:14 - May 7 by IpswichKnight

Totally agree on that you can see the likes of Chelsea buying the likes of Charlton for example to ensure they have a junior club to send there 1st year pro's too for game time, they are you rightly say are not going to give up a whack of there money to ensure that Charlton, Orient and Millwall survive for the long term.

Charlton fans wouldn't stand for it. It would be a pointless idea as Chelsea B would end up playing in front of almost no fans at all as Charlton fans no longer support the club and true fans of any decent club will boycott away games at any B side.

They'd be buying a club for glorified reserve matches.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 11:13 - May 7 with 2169 viewsRadlett_blue

EFL-This from Rick Parry all looks sensible to me but on 10:47 - May 7 by J2BLUE

Charlton fans wouldn't stand for it. It would be a pointless idea as Chelsea B would end up playing in front of almost no fans at all as Charlton fans no longer support the club and true fans of any decent club will boycott away games at any B side.

They'd be buying a club for glorified reserve matches.

England is probably the only country in the world that has a football pyramid of 5 divisions of full time clubs. This has long been near unsustainable, as ambitious owners continually try to over-reach themselves. The only thing slowing the earlier string of administrations has been the sensible imposition of salary caps in the lower leagues. It's been obvious the way the game has been heading since the formation of the Premier League & the Champions' League - it's all about broadcasting income for the biggest European clubs & also the Premier League. The current crisis will speed up this trend. The only motivation for finishing the Championship season is the income the promoted clubs might get next season. Football League clubs playing behind closed doors is financial suicide & unless fans are allowed back in stadiums early next season - which is highly unlikely - there will be a torrent of administrations as clubs can't meet thier wage bills without match revenue.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024