Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? 08:35 - May 15 with 2211 viewsGlasgowBlue

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/05/15/time-relax-londons-lockdown-trus

Only 20 cases in London with an R rate of .4 yet over 4000 cases in the North East and Yorkshire.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 08:45 - May 15 with 2172 viewsbluelagos

Andy Burnham was making same the point the other day.

As ever our London centric decision makers need to be more awake to the needs of the regions. Regional lockdown measures make a lot of sense. Though i can see it makes messaging harder and compliance harder as some people would seek to move from locked down areas to those with more freedoms.

Maybe we will see regional tighening as/when needed. Subtle difference but wouldnt lead to as much resentment.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 08:49 - May 15 with 2157 viewsSteve_M

The Standard reported that as 24 cases per day in London:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/londons-r-rate-now-lowest-in-country-as-c

Evens so, the risk profile here is clearly much improved. However, the reasons that the number of cases has declined so much has been the change in behaviour that has been mandated for the last weeks.

The next stage seems to be 'normal - pubs and sport', what happens then without any contact tracing infrastructure? I fear the London rate will increase again fairly quickly.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 08:55 - May 15 with 2143 viewsbluelagos

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 08:49 - May 15 by Steve_M

The Standard reported that as 24 cases per day in London:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/londons-r-rate-now-lowest-in-country-as-c

Evens so, the risk profile here is clearly much improved. However, the reasons that the number of cases has declined so much has been the change in behaviour that has been mandated for the last weeks.

The next stage seems to be 'normal - pubs and sport', what happens then without any contact tracing infrastructure? I fear the London rate will increase again fairly quickly.

Anyone calling for a return of sizeable gatherings, like pubs or football, (without social distancing) before we have the trace and contact infrastructure (or a vaccine) up and ready....isn't really grasping the danger of a second wave.

The govt will surely ensure the infrasture is there to contact and trace first. And if that means no pubs til the autumn, then no pubs til the autumn. I think people understand that.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 09:00 - May 15 with 2117 viewsSWGF

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 08:55 - May 15 by bluelagos

Anyone calling for a return of sizeable gatherings, like pubs or football, (without social distancing) before we have the trace and contact infrastructure (or a vaccine) up and ready....isn't really grasping the danger of a second wave.

The govt will surely ensure the infrasture is there to contact and trace first. And if that means no pubs til the autumn, then no pubs til the autumn. I think people understand that.

While dropping off to sleep, was listening to the Coronavirus podcast from BBC.

They were talking about South Korea's tracing capabilities. One example was that they could trace a breakout to one 27yr old on a night out who didn't know he was infected. But they were able to immediately alert the x number of people he could have potentially come into contact with on that night out, using the triangulation of phone-masts.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 09:01 - May 15 with 2116 viewsSteve_M

I meant there wouldn't be pubs and sport, but a wider openign up. Trying to show a minus sign didn't work written out. So, yes agree on that point.

The other point on regional differences in relaxing the lockdown is how is travel between them controlled? I want to go and see family but if everyone does that, and just that, does it reduce the point of regional differences?

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 09:17 - May 15 with 2087 viewsPinewoodblue

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 09:01 - May 15 by Steve_M

I meant there wouldn't be pubs and sport, but a wider openign up. Trying to show a minus sign didn't work written out. So, yes agree on that point.

The other point on regional differences in relaxing the lockdown is how is travel between them controlled? I want to go and see family but if everyone does that, and just that, does it reduce the point of regional differences?

France has a travel ban you have to stay within 100km of your home. In Spain travel in restricted to within your local government area.

Both countries have 50% more Police, per capita, so stand a chance of making it work. Fines are hefty.

The UK lacks sufficient Police resource to make it work.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 09:40 - May 15 with 2050 viewsHerbivore

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 09:17 - May 15 by Pinewoodblue

France has a travel ban you have to stay within 100km of your home. In Spain travel in restricted to within your local government area.

Both countries have 50% more Police, per capita, so stand a chance of making it work. Fines are hefty.

It's almost like a decade of deep cuts across our public services has left us woefully ill equipped to cope with something like this.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 09:45 - May 15 with 2043 viewsBlueBadger

Trouble is, I could see a lot of 'second home' types slithering out of the cities to try and 'get a break' and travelling needlessly.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 09:46 - May 15 with 2040 viewsBlueBadger

I salute your optimism with the second paragraph..

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 09:48 - May 15 with 2031 viewsBlueBadger

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 09:40 - May 15 by Herbivore

It's almost like a decade of deep cuts across our public services has left us woefully ill equipped to cope with something like this.

Woah, woah, woah we'll have none of your facts/political point scoring here!

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 09:50 - May 15 with 2029 viewsbournemouthblue

There's a case for devolved regional government, it's interesting how they have often posted graphs of all the regions for comparison

I'm sure both the East and South West could be eased sooner than the large metropolitan regions for example although it maybe the case that we have lower overall capacity than the larger metropolitan hospitals
[Post edited 15 May 2020 9:52]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 09:52 - May 15 with 2017 viewsgiant_stow

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 09:45 - May 15 by BlueBadger

Trouble is, I could see a lot of 'second home' types slithering out of the cities to try and 'get a break' and travelling needlessly.

'slithering'?!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 10:12 - May 15 with 1975 viewsGuthrum

That would work only if it were possible to cut off all travel links between the different areas. It could be done, but you'd be talking army roadblocks on roads and patrolling the countryside.

Particularly difficult with London, as it is the main transport hub for a large part of the country.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 10:37 - May 15 with 1956 viewsRadlett_blue

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 08:45 - May 15 by bluelagos

Andy Burnham was making same the point the other day.

As ever our London centric decision makers need to be more awake to the needs of the regions. Regional lockdown measures make a lot of sense. Though i can see it makes messaging harder and compliance harder as some people would seek to move from locked down areas to those with more freedoms.

Maybe we will see regional tighening as/when needed. Subtle difference but wouldnt lead to as much resentment.

I was promoting this idea around the family dinner table last night, but was shouted down on the grounds it would be seen as unfair & would prove to be unworkable. I think there is logic behind it, but it will be difficult to do in the face of a media who will easily find a few hundred contradictions.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 10:40 - May 15 with 1950 viewssparks

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 10:37 - May 15 by Radlett_blue

I was promoting this idea around the family dinner table last night, but was shouted down on the grounds it would be seen as unfair & would prove to be unworkable. I think there is logic behind it, but it will be difficult to do in the face of a media who will easily find a few hundred contradictions.

Youd get people travelling from locked down areas to place where they can go out and have fun...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 11:12 - May 15 with 1929 viewsLeaky

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 09:17 - May 15 by Pinewoodblue

Did a job for a police officer on Monday. He claimed they were bored with very little to do. Just reminding people who were not social distancing to do so. He claimed the only people getting fined were drug dealers, as it was easier to fine them for not social distancing than far dealing drugs. Also claimed domestic abuse call outs are down due to pubs being closed.
The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 12:20 - May 15 with 1893 viewsPinewoodblue

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 11:12 - May 15 by Leaky

Did a job for a police officer on Monday. He claimed they were bored with very little to do. Just reminding people who were not social distancing to do so. He claimed the only people getting fined were drug dealers, as it was easier to fine them for not social distancing than far dealing drugs. Also claimed domestic abuse call outs are down due to pubs being closed.

In an ideal world being a police officer should be a boring job.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 12:23 - May 15 with 1887 viewsHerbivore

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 11:12 - May 15 by Leaky

I'm calling bullish!t on this.

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 12:34 - May 15 with 1881 viewsBlueBadger

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 12:23 - May 15 by Herbivore

I'm calling bullish!t on this.

At leats part of it is...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52157620

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 13:32 - May 15 with 1830 viewsHerbivore

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 12:34 - May 15 by BlueBadger

At leats part of it is...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52157620

Indeed. The bit about drug dealers is also very clearly made up. I don't understand the mentality of people that feel the need to make stuff up like that. It's very odd.

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 13:34 - May 15 with 1827 viewsSteve_M

The case for a regional relaxation of lockdown? on 09:40 - May 15 by Herbivore

Whilst that's undoubtedly true, the UK also lacks the sort of civil police of Spain or France as there has been little need for one. This, perhaps, a case where one might be useful.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024