Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Star Wars films ranked in order of preference 08:16 - May 18 with 6833 viewsGlasgowBlue

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Rogue One
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. Return of the Jedi
6. Rise of Skywalker
7. The Phantom Menace
8. Solo: A Star Wars Story
9. The Last Jedi
10. The Force Awakens
11. Attack of the Clones

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 10:47 - May 18 with 2401 viewsmikeybloo88

No arguments at all with your top5.....you can argue about mid table but bottom 3 are nailed on for me

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Rogue One
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. Return of the Jedi
6. The Last Jedi
7. The Force Awakens
8. Rise of Skywalker
9. Solo
10. The Phantom Menace
11. Attack of the Clones
[Post edited 18 May 2020 10:49]
Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 10:49 - May 18 with 2402 viewsLibero

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 10:44 - May 18 by Herbivore

Fair enough, likewise Phantom Menace was the first Star Wars film I saw at the cinema but my reaction was slightly different than yours. I know 'comedy' characters and hammy dialogue appear across all the films but it's especially evident and highly grating in the prequels.

Return of the Jedi is still good, but for me it's the worst of the original trilogy. The Ewoks brining down the Empire with rocks and spears, rehashing the Death Star from the first film, I think the encounter between Luke and Darth is less powerful than in Empire.

It's all opinions though at the end of the day, every one of the films has massive flaws to go with all of the good stuff which is why fans rarely agree on a definitive ranking. I'm glad to see lots of love for Rogue One though, such a good film. The ending feels so tense even though you know what's going to happen.

I think you over state the idea of the ewoks taking down the Empire, they essentially won a floor battle in their own back yard that was already rigged with traps to protect them from other giant predators.

Although they celebrate at the end of the film *cue Lando clapping out of time meme* the battle of Endor doesn’t bring down the Empire or win the war.
The final battle is around a year later on Jakku, the star destroyer you see Rey scavenging from in TFA was a part of that last stand, however even after that different factions and cells set up all round the galaxy, war lords trying desperately to cling on to power and resist the revolution, as shown in the mandalorian.
[Post edited 18 May 2020 10:55]
Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 10:58 - May 18 with 2385 viewsBrixtonBlue

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 09:48 - May 18 by IPS_wich

Whilst TFA is essentially a remake - it is a remake of a classic and still works as a coherent film (which so few films in the franchise have).

It is also beautiful: the TIEs and X-wings battling in atmosphere; all of the scenes on Jakku; the planet Luke is hiding out on.

It also has the death of Han - which until about 60 seconds beforehand I had no sense was coming.

Watching the reaction of my (then) 10 and 7 year old kids was something truly special - unlike my (now) 14 year olds reaction after ROS ("Do I have to come with you next week to watch it again - I thought it was rubbish").

I take your points I just don't see the point of remaking a classic when you can just watch the classic.

And it wasn't supposed to be a remake, it was supposed to be a continuation of the story. The idea that everyone just did the same thing as their predecessors, including the Empire making another Death Star with a design flaw, is just silly.

Also Kylo Ren is nowhere near as scary as Vadar was.

I didn't much care for the lame jokes either.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 11:13 - May 18 with 2375 viewsBrixtonBlue

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 10:28 - May 18 by Herbivore

Return of the Jedi is a bunch of teddy bears bringing down the Empire. It's hardly Dickensian storytelling. And it also includes destroying the Death Star again, so it's not even especially original. Despite it being derivative I enjoyed The Force Awakens. It was good to see a new Star Wars film that wasn't terrible and it has some decent dialogue and nice set pieces. Solo dying is a pretty epic franchise moment too, even if it was obvious it was coming.

I watched Solo last night as I thought I'd give it a second chance. It's really quite terrible. The plot is thin and it's hard to care about any of the characters. The acting is fairly mediocre. It's just a nothing film really. Still better than two of the three from the prequels for me, but that says more about the prequels than about Solo.

The Ewoks assisted (they didn't bring it down on their own) by being a nuisance more than anything else. Which is what an indigenous species would likely do. Rebuilding the Death Star and then the rebels destroying it during construction made sense in the story. The fact they've destroyed several more since is where it gets silly.

No-one says Return is Dickensian but it's surely better than just repeating all the story arcs you've already done. Solo's death at the hands of his son was just a repeat of Obi Wan's death at the hands of Vadar.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 11:25 - May 18 with 2354 viewsLibero

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 10:58 - May 18 by BrixtonBlue

I take your points I just don't see the point of remaking a classic when you can just watch the classic.

And it wasn't supposed to be a remake, it was supposed to be a continuation of the story. The idea that everyone just did the same thing as their predecessors, including the Empire making another Death Star with a design flaw, is just silly.

Also Kylo Ren is nowhere near as scary as Vadar was.

I didn't much care for the lame jokes either.

Kylo isn't supposed to be as scary as Vader, he's essentially the inverse of Vader.

Where Anakin felt the pull to the dark Ben feels it to the light, that's what the whole scene with Han in TFA is trying to show, a lost, conflicted, scared and mixed up young man who has essentially lost sight of who he is and has instead taken on this ideology and set of values that puts him at odds with who he really is.
Although he has resentment for his Father being absent in his childhood there's no doubting the conflict in that scene "I know what I have to do but I don't know if I have the strength to do it" - he doesn't want to kill his Father but he see's it as the only way he can embrace the darkside and please his new master.

Ignored by his parents who were preoccupied trying to reform government, betrayed by his Uncle who the Galaxy considered a legend, taken in by a mysterious darksider who shows him attention and invests time into him while he's at a very vulnerable point in his life. Ben's essentially been groomed because of his bloodline, not because of his ability or his inclination towards the dark side, the hope is that he has some of what Vader had in him but he is more like his parents which just causes him more frustration/trauma.

I think part of his story is supposed to be a comment on how people become indoctrinated into extremism in our society, there's no way if those around him hadn't let him down that things would have turned out the way they did for Ben.

The few minutes of Adam Driver playing Ben instead of Kylo Ren in TROS are some of my favourite moments in the film, there's something very Harrison Ford about the way he plays it. The shrug of the shoulders after he pulls the lightsaber out, the quipping of "ouch" after making a ridiculous jump. There's a marked difference in how he carries himself, I bloody love it.
Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 11:50 - May 18 with 2344 viewsHerbivore

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 11:13 - May 18 by BrixtonBlue

The Ewoks assisted (they didn't bring it down on their own) by being a nuisance more than anything else. Which is what an indigenous species would likely do. Rebuilding the Death Star and then the rebels destroying it during construction made sense in the story. The fact they've destroyed several more since is where it gets silly.

No-one says Return is Dickensian but it's surely better than just repeating all the story arcs you've already done. Solo's death at the hands of his son was just a repeat of Obi Wan's death at the hands of Vadar.

And Darth turning on the Emperor in Return of the Jedi is a rehash of the whole apprentice betraying master narrative that recurs throughout the series. None of it is very original, you're just happy to tolerate the repeating narrative devices in Retun of the Jedi because it's your favourite. Which is fair enough really, as I said to Libbers you rarely find two Star Wars fans who will agree on a ranking.
[Post edited 18 May 2020 11:51]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 11:52 - May 18 with 2343 viewsHerbivore

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 10:49 - May 18 by Libero

I think you over state the idea of the ewoks taking down the Empire, they essentially won a floor battle in their own back yard that was already rigged with traps to protect them from other giant predators.

Although they celebrate at the end of the film *cue Lando clapping out of time meme* the battle of Endor doesn’t bring down the Empire or win the war.
The final battle is around a year later on Jakku, the star destroyer you see Rey scavenging from in TFA was a part of that last stand, however even after that different factions and cells set up all round the galaxy, war lords trying desperately to cling on to power and resist the revolution, as shown in the mandalorian.
[Post edited 18 May 2020 10:55]

I'm just going with the films rather than where it sits in the wider universe. I've not dipped into the stuff outside the films, save a couple of episodes of the Clone Wars cartoons.

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:28 - May 18 with 2332 viewsBrixtonBlue

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 10:44 - May 18 by Herbivore

Fair enough, likewise Phantom Menace was the first Star Wars film I saw at the cinema but my reaction was slightly different than yours. I know 'comedy' characters and hammy dialogue appear across all the films but it's especially evident and highly grating in the prequels.

Return of the Jedi is still good, but for me it's the worst of the original trilogy. The Ewoks brining down the Empire with rocks and spears, rehashing the Death Star from the first film, I think the encounter between Luke and Darth is less powerful than in Empire.

It's all opinions though at the end of the day, every one of the films has massive flaws to go with all of the good stuff which is why fans rarely agree on a definitive ranking. I'm glad to see lots of love for Rogue One though, such a good film. The ending feels so tense even though you know what's going to happen.

Agree with you on Rogue One. That's the one I've gone back to rewatch most outside the original 3.

Fills in lots of gaps - not least why the mighty Empire managed to create a space station the size of a moon that could be taken out with just a small fighter.

Login to get fewer ads

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:31 - May 18 with 2327 viewsHerbivore

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:28 - May 18 by BrixtonBlue

Agree with you on Rogue One. That's the one I've gone back to rewatch most outside the original 3.

Fills in lots of gaps - not least why the mighty Empire managed to create a space station the size of a moon that could be taken out with just a small fighter.

I think the biggest testament to what a good film it is is that it keeps you gripped even though you know what's going to happen. It could have very easily been a bit of a 'so what?' film but it really stands up.

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:37 - May 18 with 2317 viewsLibero

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 11:52 - May 18 by Herbivore

I'm just going with the films rather than where it sits in the wider universe. I've not dipped into the stuff outside the films, save a couple of episodes of the Clone Wars cartoons.

Mate, do yourself a favour and watch The Mandalorian, outstanding story telling. I think it's proving that live-action TV is the way forwards for Star Wars to avoid exactly the kind of retelling of the same Joseph Campbell story that you and Dollers are talking about.
Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:38 - May 18 with 2315 viewsLibero

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:28 - May 18 by BrixtonBlue

Absolutley agree with you and Herbs but I'm aghast that neither of you have mentioned THAT corridor scene.
Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:39 - May 18 with 2313 viewsHerbivore

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:37 - May 18 by Libero

Mate, do yourself a favour and watch The Mandalorian, outstanding story telling. I think it's proving that live-action TV is the way forwards for Star Wars to avoid exactly the kind of retelling of the same Joseph Campbell story that you and Dollers are talking about.

Definitely planning on watching it, I've just got 6 months free of Disney+ and it's high up my list of things to watch.

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:39 - May 18 with 2312 viewsBrixtonBlue

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 11:25 - May 18 by Libero

Kylo isn't supposed to be as scary as Vader, he's essentially the inverse of Vader.

Where Anakin felt the pull to the dark Ben feels it to the light, that's what the whole scene with Han in TFA is trying to show, a lost, conflicted, scared and mixed up young man who has essentially lost sight of who he is and has instead taken on this ideology and set of values that puts him at odds with who he really is.
Although he has resentment for his Father being absent in his childhood there's no doubting the conflict in that scene "I know what I have to do but I don't know if I have the strength to do it" - he doesn't want to kill his Father but he see's it as the only way he can embrace the darkside and please his new master.

Ignored by his parents who were preoccupied trying to reform government, betrayed by his Uncle who the Galaxy considered a legend, taken in by a mysterious darksider who shows him attention and invests time into him while he's at a very vulnerable point in his life. Ben's essentially been groomed because of his bloodline, not because of his ability or his inclination towards the dark side, the hope is that he has some of what Vader had in him but he is more like his parents which just causes him more frustration/trauma.

I think part of his story is supposed to be a comment on how people become indoctrinated into extremism in our society, there's no way if those around him hadn't let him down that things would have turned out the way they did for Ben.

The few minutes of Adam Driver playing Ben instead of Kylo Ren in TROS are some of my favourite moments in the film, there's something very Harrison Ford about the way he plays it. The shrug of the shoulders after he pulls the lightsaber out, the quipping of "ouch" after making a ridiculous jump. There's a marked difference in how he carries himself, I bloody love it.

Good points, I hadn't really thought about him that deeply.

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:41 - May 18 with 2308 viewsIPS_wich

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:31 - May 18 by Herbivore

I think the biggest testament to what a good film it is is that it keeps you gripped even though you know what's going to happen. It could have very easily been a bit of a 'so what?' film but it really stands up.

What’s weird is that even with the extensive rewrites (see the bits dropped from the trailer), it feels like a well considered movie with jeopardy throughout.

Plus, with the final Vader scene you have the only bit of any of the sequel/prequel/spin-off films that has regressed me back to the six year old me when I watched the first film.

I think everyone here has put it top 3/4 - yet any critic’s ranking has it bottom 5 - and claims the film is a mess (I just don’t see it).
Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:42 - May 18 with 2307 viewsLibero

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:39 - May 18 by BrixtonBlue

Good points, I hadn't really thought about him that deeply.

In my opinion his character has the kind of emotional complexity that they were trying to portray with Anakin in the prequels but executed so poorly.

Adam Driver is just an incredible actor too which obviously helps, but yeah he's my favourite thing about the sequel trilogy.

Wept like a baby when they mirrored that Han scene in TROS, it's one of the only moments in the entire film that isn't played at breakneck speed and it was full of the feels.
Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:44 - May 18 with 2304 viewsjudespiveyg

1. Phantom Menace- I don't think I've ever laughed at a film more. It's so hilariously cr4p. Minus points for not having lines as poorly written and acted as Anakin's in Attack of the Clones.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:45 - May 18 with 2304 viewsLibero

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:41 - May 18 by IPS_wich

What’s weird is that even with the extensive rewrites (see the bits dropped from the trailer), it feels like a well considered movie with jeopardy throughout.

Plus, with the final Vader scene you have the only bit of any of the sequel/prequel/spin-off films that has regressed me back to the six year old me when I watched the first film.

I think everyone here has put it top 3/4 - yet any critic’s ranking has it bottom 5 - and claims the film is a mess (I just don’t see it).

Star Wars has history with that kind of extensive re-write/edit right before release, A New Hope was famously saved in the edit by George's wife.

I love how the end of Rogue One blends almost seamlessly into A New Hope.
EDIT: Someone's edited it together on YouTube and it's great.

[Post edited 18 May 2020 12:45]
Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:47 - May 18 with 2302 viewsHerbivore

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:41 - May 18 by IPS_wich

I know what you mean about the Vader scene. You really get gripped by a sense of awe and terror when he appears and they are trying desperately to keep the plans away from him. It's great stuff. I think the critics are massively wrong on this one.

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:48 - May 18 with 2299 viewsBrixtonBlue

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 11:50 - May 18 by Herbivore

And Darth turning on the Emperor in Return of the Jedi is a rehash of the whole apprentice betraying master narrative that recurs throughout the series. None of it is very original, you're just happy to tolerate the repeating narrative devices in Retun of the Jedi because it's your favourite. Which is fair enough really, as I said to Libbers you rarely find two Star Wars fans who will agree on a ranking.
[Post edited 18 May 2020 11:51]

No, Jedi's not my favourite. Empire is my favourite, but that's probably largely because it was the first film I ever saw in the cinema (of ANY film!) Imagine "Luke, I am your father" being the first thing you ever saw on a big screen as an impressionable child!

Jedi isn't a rehash - it's Luke completing the training he started with Obi Wan. TFA is every single original Star Wars trope repeated.

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:48 - May 18 with 2299 viewsLibero

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:47 - May 18 by Herbivore

I know what you mean about the Vader scene. You really get gripped by a sense of awe and terror when he appears and they are trying desperately to keep the plans away from him. It's great stuff. I think the critics are massively wrong on this one.

He is f*cking terrifying in that scene, really takes you back to being a kid.
Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:51 - May 18 with 2293 viewsBrixtonBlue

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:37 - May 18 by Libero

I don't even know what you're talking about. What is The Mandalorian?

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:52 - May 18 with 2290 viewsBrixtonBlue

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:38 - May 18 by Libero

Absolutley agree with you and Herbs but I'm aghast that neither of you have mentioned THAT corridor scene.

Which corridor scene? Been a while since I last watched it.

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:53 - May 18 with 2288 viewsDanTheMan

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:51 - May 18 by BrixtonBlue

I don't even know what you're talking about. What is The Mandalorian?

TV series on Disney+.

I won't spoil the story as it's well worth a watch, but it is canon, and set after the fall of the Empire.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:54 - May 18 with 2288 viewsElephantintheRoom

The first one was highly enjoyable - and seemed pretty good at the time... if a trifle daft. One of two others seen on TV weren't that good.... and I was quite surprised to see how many there have been.

They are easily avoided - as should be most sequels and prequels.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 12:54 - May 18 with 2288 viewsOsborneOneNil

Star Wars films ranked in order of preference on 08:25 - May 18 by Herbivore

1. A New Hope
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Rogue One
4. The Force Awakens
5. Return of the Jedi
6. The Rise of Skywalker
7. The Last Jedi
8. Revenge of the Sith
9. Solo
10. Phantom Menace
11. Attack of the Clones

A couple of controversial ones from me. Firstly, Empire at number 2 rather than its customary number 1. I appreciate it's probably a better film but I enjoy A New Hope more and was too young to have that "WTF?" moment when it turned out Darth Vader was Luke's old man. Secondly, I have The Last Jedi as my least favourite of the newest trilogy when many have it as their favourite. It just didn't work for me, it felt overly long, some of the sub plots were just a bit grating, and the main baddie got bested far too easily when he'd barely been built up as a character. The finale was good but overall it didn't work for me and it feels discordant within the trilogy as a whole.

The prequels and Solo are pure dog turd. Rogue One is a great little film, I was almost tempted to put it higher.
[Post edited 18 May 2020 8:36]

You speak more sense with regard to Star Wars than you do on Skuse.

:)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024