Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best academy player to have never played for the first team 14:59 - May 28 with 6179 viewsBeat93

Some great players have been in the town academy but some never played for the first team. The best in recent times has to be Ryan Bennett followed by Macauley Bonne, thoughts?
Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 15:05 - May 28 with 4410 viewsWacko

Nick Pope surely, based on England caps

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 15:09 - May 28 with 4394 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Based on transfer fee would it not be Charlie Brown or was there another one who left for a reasonable fee more recently?

How do you actually determine it?

Perhaps James Smith who suffered an injury and never played again is the real answer. I suppose academy coaches might be able to shed some light.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 15:20 - May 28 with 4358 viewsflimflam

Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 15:09 - May 28 by Nthsuffolkblue

Based on transfer fee would it not be Charlie Brown or was there another one who left for a reasonable fee more recently?

How do you actually determine it?

Perhaps James Smith who suffered an injury and never played again is the real answer. I suppose academy coaches might be able to shed some light.

Possibly Ben Knight but time will tell on that one I guess.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 15:23 - May 28 with 4345 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 15:20 - May 28 by flimflam

Possibly Ben Knight but time will tell on that one I guess.

Yes, he was the more recent one.

Looking it up, his fee was around the same as Charlie Brown's.

As I say, how do you tell who was the best from those we have never seen play?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 15:30 - May 28 with 4320 viewsflimflam

Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 15:23 - May 28 by Nthsuffolkblue

Yes, he was the more recent one.

Looking it up, his fee was around the same as Charlie Brown's.

As I say, how do you tell who was the best from those we have never seen play?

The academy staff were said to have stated he was the best they had ever seen come through the academy.

He got rave reviews for Man City U18s last season on their way to the league title and cup final. Sadly I believe he could go on to be the real deal.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 15:30 - May 28 with 4313 viewsLibero

Teddy Bishop
Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 15:43 - May 28 with 4257 viewsPhilTWTD

Pre-academy days it would be Gary Stevens, I would guess.
Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 16:25 - May 28 with 4135 viewsitfcjoe

The players that are here U16 are a bit of a mixed bag in knowing why they were released - wonder who the best full time player who did their YTS or Scholarship here is.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 16:42 - May 28 with 4084 viewsLibero

Serious response; I’d say Matt Upson.
[Post edited 28 May 2020 16:42]
Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 16:47 - May 28 with 4057 viewsMercian

Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 15:05 - May 28 by Wacko

Nick Pope surely, based on England caps

Very good keeper. I did not realise he was part of the Ipswich academy or that he was from Soham. Giving his age it is possible he was school mates of Huntley's victims. I hope that man rots in hell
Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 16:55 - May 28 with 4021 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Lots might say Robert Dickinson who never made it but was widely thought of as a top talent back around 2000/2001.
Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 16:56 - May 28 with 4018 viewsrickw

Richard Keogh? 26 Ireland caps

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 17:08 - May 28 with 3989 viewsitfcjoe

Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 16:55 - May 28 by PrideOfTheEast

Lots might say Robert Dickinson who never made it but was widely thought of as a top talent back around 2000/2001.

He was mentioned in an Athletic article recently

https://theathletic.co.uk/1093748/2019/08/27/kalvin-phillips-is-leeds-next-homeg

Sweeney tells the story of Robert Dickinson, a Leeds-born striker who also signed professional terms at Ipswich: “He was so good technically and I remember Joe Royle telling me that he couldn’t think of many young players he’d seen so talented. I was at a youth cup game at Sheffield United when Dickinson cut in off the wing and hit the top corner.

“Chris Waddle was there and said, ‘Wow, what a player he is!’ but Robert didn’t push himself. He was a bit lazy, so you’re never certain about who’ll go furthest, however good they are.”

Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 17:09 - May 28 with 3987 viewsPendejo

Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 15:43 - May 28 by PhilTWTD

Pre-academy days it would be Gary Stevens, I would guess.

Similar era - Colin Clarke

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 17:15 - May 28 with 3972 viewsitfcjoe

Liam Craig who skippered our Youth Cup winning side has subsequently gone on to play the best part of 450 games in Scotland with the vast majority in the SPL (354 SPL, 77 Championship).

Guess not many to have never played a first team game having gone full time here will have played so many league games.

Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 17:16 - May 28 with 3973 viewsclive_baker

I'm almost certainly in the top 3.

Upson is definitely up there given the level he went on to play at. As is Pope, which is more criminal really given he was released, and he was always a very promising keeper IMO.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 17:21 - May 28 with 3945 viewsclive_baker

Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 17:15 - May 28 by itfcjoe

Liam Craig who skippered our Youth Cup winning side has subsequently gone on to play the best part of 450 games in Scotland with the vast majority in the SPL (354 SPL, 77 Championship).

Guess not many to have never played a first team game having gone full time here will have played so many league games.

Stuart O'Keefe is worthy of a mention, never had the right to go on and play in the Premier League but fair play.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 17:22 - May 28 with 3946 viewsPhilTWTD

Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 17:08 - May 28 by itfcjoe

He was mentioned in an Athletic article recently

https://theathletic.co.uk/1093748/2019/08/27/kalvin-phillips-is-leeds-next-homeg

Sweeney tells the story of Robert Dickinson, a Leeds-born striker who also signed professional terms at Ipswich: “He was so good technically and I remember Joe Royle telling me that he couldn’t think of many young players he’d seen so talented. I was at a youth cup game at Sheffield United when Dickinson cut in off the wing and hit the top corner.

“Chris Waddle was there and said, ‘Wow, what a player he is!’ but Robert didn’t push himself. He was a bit lazy, so you’re never certain about who’ll go furthest, however good they are.”

I was talking with Kieron about him the other day funnily enough. Was a midfielder rather than a striker, was a real talent and I remember attitude and application being the issue which led to his release.
Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 17:24 - May 28 with 3936 viewsPhilTWTD

Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 17:09 - May 28 by Pendejo

Similar era - Colin Clarke

From Lowestoft if I remember rightly.
Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 17:32 - May 28 with 3912 viewsitfcjoe

Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 17:15 - May 28 by itfcjoe

And with a similar career path, Chris Hogg.

Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 18:30 - May 28 with 3822 viewsLibero

I met his Dad a couple of times, used to come to games with the supporters group I went to games with in my teens. Shame he never made it here.
Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 19:05 - May 28 with 3753 viewsShawsey

There was a goalkeeper years ago called Mike Weeks. Brilliant shot stopper, but never made it. Went to FGR I think, then just slipped into oblivion.
Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 19:20 - May 28 with 3728 viewsMattinLondon

We used to have an Irish right-back who looked very good in Academy matches but was very injury prone. His name was Michael Synnott - I’m pretty sure that he would have made the grade if it wasn’t for injuries.
Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 19:24 - May 28 with 3719 viewsLibero

Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 19:20 - May 28 by MattinLondon

We used to have an Irish right-back who looked very good in Academy matches but was very injury prone. His name was Michael Synnott - I’m pretty sure that he would have made the grade if it wasn’t for injuries.

He did look solid, didn’t he! I think he went back to Ireland but jacked it all in after a relatively short period playing there.
Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 19:28 - May 28 with 3693 viewsMattinLondon

Best academy player to have never played for the first team on 19:24 - May 28 by Libero

He did look solid, didn’t he! I think he went back to Ireland but jacked it all in after a relatively short period playing there.

In the past there had been a few younger players who developed bad injuries whilst with us. Could be just bad luck and maybe other clubs have faced similar problems.

But he did look good - reminded me of Gary Neville. Towards the end of his time here he was shifted towards centre back and looked a real fraction of how he was. A real shame.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024