Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trump could be about to invoke the Insurrection Act 23:25 - Jun 1 with 8295 viewsElderGrizzly

Resulting in Active US troops on the streets of US Cities

His next stage of gun toting dictator is almost complete

Trump could be about to invoke the Insurrection Act on 10:44 - Jun 2 with 860 viewsSwansea_Blue

Trump could be about to invoke the Insurrection Act on 00:50 - Jun 2 by LankHenners

This is the kind of stuff I held back from posting earlier - cops firing tear gas into a group of protesters stuck against a wall and unable to escape.

You can go on Twitter and spend ages finding new videos of incidents of outright violence and brutality by the cops against protesters. Sickening.

It's a crowded field for sure. The symbolism of this one is incredibly powerful. Clearly no doubt that the protestors were peaceful. This is the unadulterated action of a despot's regime - no question, no doubts.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Trump could be about to invoke the Insurrection Act on 10:54 - Jun 2 with 844 viewsEireannach_gorm

Extract from How Did Hitler Happen?.

' By 1932, the Nazis were the largest political party in the Reichstag. In January of the following year, with no other leader able to command sufficient support to govern, President Paul von Hindenburg appointed Hitler chancellor of Germany. Shortly thereafter, a fire broke out in the Reichstag building in Berlin, and authorities arrested a young Dutch communist who confessed to starting it. Hitler used this episode to convince President Hindenburg to declare an emergency decree suspending many civil liberties throughout Germany, including freedom of the press, freedom of expression, and the right to hold public assemblies. The police were authorized to detain citizens without cause, and the authority usually exercised by regional governments became subject to control by Hitler’s national regime.

Almost immediately, Hitler began dismantling Germany’s democratic institutions and imprisoning or murdering his chief opponents. When Hindenburg died the following year, Hitler took the titles of führer, chancellor, and commander in chief of the army. He expanded the army tremendously, reintroduced conscription, and began developing a new air force–all violations of the Treaty of Versailles.

Hitler’s military spending and ambitious public-works programs, including building a German autobahn, helped restore prosperity. His regime also suppressed the Communist Party and purged his own paramilitary storm troopers, whose violent street demonstrations alienated the German middle class. This bloodletting–called the “Night of the Long Knives”–was hugely popular and welcomed by the middle class as a blow struck for law and order. In fact, many Germans went along with the full range of Hitler’s policies, convinced that they would ultimately be advantageous for the country.

In 1938, Hitler began his long-promised expansion of national boundaries to incorporate ethnic Germans. He colluded with Austrian Nazis to orchestrate the Anschluss, the annexation of Austria to Germany. And in Hitler’s most brazenly aggressive act yet, Czechoslovakia was forced to surrender the Sudetenland, a mountainous border region populated predominantly by ethnic Germans. The Czechs looked to Great Britain and France for help, but hoping to avoid war–they had been bled white in World War I–these nations chose a policy of appeasement. At a conclave held at Munich in September 1938, representatives of Great Britain and France compelled Czech leaders to cede the Sudetenland in return for Hitler’s pledge not to seek additional territory. The following year, the German army swallowed up the remainder of Czechoslovakia.

British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain, one of the signers of the Munich pact, had taken Hitler at his word. Returning to Britain with this agreement in hand, he proudly announced that he had achieved “peace with honor. I believe it is peace for our time.”

A year later, German troops stormed into Poland.'
Trump could be about to invoke the Insurrection Act on 10:58 - Jun 2 with 837 viewsRyorry

Trump could be about to invoke the Insurrection Act on 08:52 - Jun 2 by StokieBlue

It's getting totally out of control, hard to tell what the next stage will be but surely the career general types aren't going to allow US troops out and about with the chance of using live rounds.

"This is authoritarianism."

This is spot on. It's not specifically fascism as then there would be little hope as he would be all-powerful without any checks and balances or even questioning and unable to be removed. That isn't the case at the moment as your call to the ballot box highlights and we can only hope that the voting goes ahead and people turn up in vast numbers to get rid of him. I do appreciate that distinction isn't important to the people being affected but it offers a glimmer of hope over the alternative.

They way he's going though is it not possible he might be removed under some form of mental health act or would something like that require the same majorities as impeachment?

SB

Was going to say same re mental health act - can see him being quietly "retired" to some expensive private health facility if the graph of his out of control behaviour carries on going up the same trajectory.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Trump could be about to invoke the Insurrection Act on 11:07 - Jun 2 with 815 viewsRyorry

Trump could be about to invoke the Insurrection Act on 04:54 - Jun 2 by SpruceMoose

He had his goons tear gas and use rubber bullets on a peaceful protest in DC tonight just so he could have some phoney photo op in front of a church where he, a sexual predator, a fraudster, a racist, waved a Bible around awkwardly like a teenager trying to undo their first bra.

This is authoritarianism.

November 2020. He needs to go. Vote.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 5:48]

In sheer numbers, how many votes from black, hispanic or other ethnic minority people would he get? what's the breakdown of numbers there, or does it all depend on the number of states where the population's overwhelmingly white & redneck? (I've little knowledge of the USA's electoral system).

Trump could be about to invoke the Insurrection Act on 11:16 - Jun 2 with 801 viewseastangliaisblue

After seeing what i have over the last few days i think i may of misread the situation a little.

This isn't just a protest about another innocent black man being murdered. This is a fight for democracy against a wannabe tyrant.

Surely they won't vote in this dangerous buffoon again?
Trump could be about to invoke the Insurrection Act on 11:53 - Jun 2 with 763 viewsRyorry

Trump could be about to invoke the Insurrection Act on 11:16 - Jun 2 by eastangliaisblue

After seeing what i have over the last few days i think i may of misread the situation a little.

This isn't just a protest about another innocent black man being murdered. This is a fight for democracy against a wannabe tyrant.

Surely they won't vote in this dangerous buffoon again?

Also "a fight for democracy against a wannabe tyrant." - yes.

I suppose your last para depends on how many of his previous supporters will at last have had their eyes opened by events of the past 2 or 3 days. Maybe there's a clutchable straw in that the more outrageous his actions and words become, the more they might waver in their belief in him.

Defining moment for the American people in terms of their moral compass. What gets me is how they, as a country, keep centering on Christianity as one of their cornerstones - yet they can't (or won't) see the evil right under their noses.

Trump could be about to invoke the Insurrection Act on 12:07 - Jun 2 with 734 viewsEireannach_gorm

Trump could be about to invoke the Insurrection Act on 12:11 - Jun 2 with 729 viewseastangliaisblue

Trump could be about to invoke the Insurrection Act on 11:53 - Jun 2 by Ryorry

Also "a fight for democracy against a wannabe tyrant." - yes.

I suppose your last para depends on how many of his previous supporters will at last have had their eyes opened by events of the past 2 or 3 days. Maybe there's a clutchable straw in that the more outrageous his actions and words become, the more they might waver in their belief in him.

Defining moment for the American people in terms of their moral compass. What gets me is how they, as a country, keep centering on Christianity as one of their cornerstones - yet they can't (or won't) see the evil right under their noses.

You're right should of put also in there.

Thing is a lot of his supporters relate to the whole "make America great again". That to me translates as back to the "good old days" of the 50's and 60's of white dominance and no foreigners/immigrants.

As for the religion thing i have always found it mind boggling. It is so deep rooted in the American psyche though that i can't see it being changed anytime soon.
Login to get fewer ads

Trump could be about to invoke the Insurrection Act on 12:53 - Jun 2 with 701 viewsEireannach_gorm

Possible insight into what is going on. Jason Stanley has three indicators, Umberto Eco has 14 but there is a definite direction here.

http://www.openculture.com/2018/10/yale-professor-jason-stanley-identifies-three

Further insight to another leader making their country great.
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/06/hello-dictator-hungary-orban-vik

Another fake news exponent.
Trump could be about to invoke the Insurrection Act on 13:05 - Jun 2 with 681 viewsSpruceMoose

Trump could be about to invoke the Insurrection Act on 12:53 - Jun 2 by Eireannach_gorm

Possible insight into what is going on. Jason Stanley has three indicators, Umberto Eco has 14 but there is a definite direction here.

http://www.openculture.com/2018/10/yale-professor-jason-stanley-identifies-three

Further insight to another leader making their country great.
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/06/hello-dictator-hungary-orban-vik

Another fake news exponent.

Regarding the Eco definitions... it would take about thirty seconds to find a Trump tweet that meets each one of the fourteen definitions.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Trump could be about to invoke the Insurrection Act on 13:11 - Jun 2 with 670 viewsJDB23

Trump could be about to invoke the Insurrection Act on 07:52 - Jun 2 by Guthrum

That could be a risky move for him.

Unlike the police, who are (to an extent) protagonists in this crisis, the Army and National Guard are not. They, or individual soldiers, may refuse orders to fire upon unarmed protestors.

From what I have seen, and this is a small sample size so in no way a reflection of the entire US Army, but there seems to be a lot of service men/veterans who are right wing, gun loving rednecks with views that align to Trump's.

I fear if those people are put onto the street with orders to engage, it could be very messy.
Trump could be about to invoke the Insurrection Act on 13:21 - Jun 2 with 650 viewsElderGrizzly

Trump could be about to invoke the Insurrection Act on 11:07 - Jun 2 by Ryorry

In sheer numbers, how many votes from black, hispanic or other ethnic minority people would he get? what's the breakdown of numbers there, or does it all depend on the number of states where the population's overwhelmingly white & redneck? (I've little knowledge of the USA's electoral system).

Both parties are fighting for about 8% of the population and that will decide the election.

There are simply some states who will vote Republican or Democrat no matter who is wearing the badge. And it ingrained in the family too.

For Biden to win, we are relying on the "Never Trump" voters to actually come out and vote, rather than abstain and Biden switching those few states Clinton couldn't win.

Clinton 'won' the election by over 3 million votes based on actual people voting. She just won the 'wrong' people in the wrong places.
Trump could be about to invoke the Insurrection Act on 01:23 - Jun 3 with 593 viewsRyorry

Trump could be about to invoke the Insurrection Act on 13:21 - Jun 2 by ElderGrizzly

Both parties are fighting for about 8% of the population and that will decide the election.

There are simply some states who will vote Republican or Democrat no matter who is wearing the badge. And it ingrained in the family too.

For Biden to win, we are relying on the "Never Trump" voters to actually come out and vote, rather than abstain and Biden switching those few states Clinton couldn't win.

Clinton 'won' the election by over 3 million votes based on actual people voting. She just won the 'wrong' people in the wrong places.

Thanks - yes, I'm remembering now re Clinton winning in terms of total number of votes cast.

Really not too hopeful re Biden - image & charisma is what seems to count these days, and having just see him on TV news, he looks as tho someone just wheeled him out of a game of bridge in the residents' lounge of a care home - lacked any energy, vigour or fight.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024