Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram 15:21 - Jun 2 with 9699 viewsLibero

telling people to remove the black lives matters hashtag from their blackout posts.
It appears to always be a variation of "take out the black lives matter hashtag, you're blocking educational content" - Instagram, educational content?!
God lord.

What an outstanding coalition of tw@ts, cringey, the whole thing.

Any way, next week I'm going to start a a campaign, Icebucket challenge to combat human trafficking, anyone? Gonna really stick it to them.
Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 19:27 - Jun 2 with 599 viewsbluelagos

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 19:20 - Jun 2 by SpruceMoose

I'm with you. Class is a major issue in the UK. But race discrimination is in operation within classes. I don't know why that's being disputed by some really.

I guess because it isn't overt like it once was. People no longer put signs up saying "No dogs, blacks or Irish" which will be stories people are told by their grandparents about how it was before. And it is much, much better than in years gone by.

I'll add I genuinely feel class privilege is barely recognised / talked about at all by many in the UK. Especially by those in positions of privilege!

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 19:31 - Jun 2 with 594 viewseastangliaisblue

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 19:14 - Jun 2 by SpruceMoose

What about when we apply that line of thought to the black person in the saying?
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 19:16]

I would say again was that an issue in this country? Yes of course. Today would a black person with a middle class background be given more opportunity than a black or white working class person? I think so.

Would also like to point out yes racism is still here in this country but nowhere near what it was thankfully.
Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 20:13 - Jun 2 with 548 viewsBlueBadger

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:42 - Jun 2 by eastangliaisblue

I'll say the same to you as i have another poster. I am of mixed heritage therefore not white.

Norfolk/Suffolk doesn't count.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 20:20 - Jun 2 with 539 viewsLeaky

So will you campaigning to stop the gangs charging, up to £5k a time to stick people in a over crowded rubber boat & sending across one of the worlds busiest shipping lanes to reach the UK.
Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 22:25 - Jun 2 with 493 viewsjaykay

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 19:13 - Jun 2 by eastangliaisblue

Lets take the no Irish for example. Has that been an issue? Yes in recent history it has with the troubles in N.Ireland. Is it an issue today? Are signs still up in rental properties saying no Irish? Of course they're not. Would a middle class Irishman be given more oppotunities than a working class one? I believe so.

the no irish sign in boarding house windows was long before the troubles of 1968

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 22:37 - Jun 2 with 478 viewsjeera

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 19:31 - Jun 2 by eastangliaisblue

I would say again was that an issue in this country? Yes of course. Today would a black person with a middle class background be given more opportunity than a black or white working class person? I think so.

Would also like to point out yes racism is still here in this country but nowhere near what it was thankfully.

You're looking for equivalences all over the place.

When referring to class all you have to do here is ask if working class poc would get the same opportunities as working class whites.

Do working class poc get treated the same as working class whites, in this instance in the States? No.

All people are subject to the issues you highlight but racial profiling is not something that white people have to worry about.

Your Irish example. A white Irish guy won't be shot at for being a white Irish guy on visuals alone.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 09:13 - Jun 3 with 384 viewsJakeITFC

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 19:06 - Jun 2 by sparks

The stats do suggest that white males at the bottom end fare worst of all these days. The reasons for that are complex, and that does not mean that (for instance) a black guy in the same bracket is not also at a massive disadvantage (with some extra and / or different pressures) relative to others. Nor does it change the fact that overall, minorities in the UK face problems and discrimination which impacts on their lives and prospects disproportionately.

These things are too nuanced to be dealt with by sound bites and blanket terms, imo. Which is one of the reasons discussions often descend....

Do you have an opinion on the increased numbers of cases and deaths of BAME people due to COVID-19?

(Not trying to bait, just seems like a pertinent recent example of inequality showing itself in a more tangible way).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024