Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram 15:21 - Jun 2 with 9695 viewsLibero

telling people to remove the black lives matters hashtag from their blackout posts.
It appears to always be a variation of "take out the black lives matter hashtag, you're blocking educational content" - Instagram, educational content?!
God lord.

What an outstanding coalition of tw@ts, cringey, the whole thing.

Any way, next week I'm going to start a a campaign, Icebucket challenge to combat human trafficking, anyone? Gonna really stick it to them.
Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:15 - Jun 2 with 1179 viewsHerbivore

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 17:32 - Jun 2 by SpruceMoose

Honestly, I think if the word 'privilege' upsets people then any other similar word will too. They won't like Advantage or Benefit any better.

People need to understand that it isn't about the individual, it's about how society is structured to the preferences, tastes and requirements of one race to the disadvantage of another.

White people being offended by the use of the term white privilege is actually a rather neat example of white privilege in its own way.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:18 - Jun 2 with 1176 viewsLibero

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:11 - Jun 2 by eastangliaisblue

I can't say i agree with the notion of white privilege. I would find it hard to try and justify white privilege to a family who are on benefits and use food banks lets say. Or even looking further afield to say somewhere like Ukraine where children live on the streets. Would they agree with white privilege?

I get class privilege and all the benefits that bring. I would say that those in higher classes have benefited off the backs of people of colour but also working class white people. You only have to look back at the industrial revolution to see that.

You don’t think that a black family in the exact same position would face even more social and economic barriers?

Here’s just one very simple example from a study in recent years for you...

Two blokes who have identical CV’s go for a job.

John Edwards and Mohamed Solomon.
John is offered an interview, Mohamed doesn’t even receive a rejection letter.
Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:18 - Jun 2 with 1170 viewseastangliaisblue

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:15 - Jun 2 by Herbivore

White people being offended by the use of the term white privilege is actually a rather neat example of white privilege in its own way.

If by white people you are referring to me then just to clarify i am of mixed heritage myself so not white.

I didn't say i was offended by it i said i don't tend to agree with it.
Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:20 - Jun 2 with 1161 viewsjeera

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:18 - Jun 2 by eastangliaisblue

If by white people you are referring to me then just to clarify i am of mixed heritage myself so not white.

I didn't say i was offended by it i said i don't tend to agree with it.

When we hear the term White Privilege, it's not intended as an insult.

It simply means that white people do not get treated negatively as a matter of course because of their colour.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:21 - Jun 2 with 1163 viewsSirBasilBrush

Millions of white girls posting a black square on Instagram = racism BTFO.
Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:21 - Jun 2 with 1157 viewsKievthegreat

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:02 - Jun 2 by Libero

I’ve already asked what the alternative would be and your examples were equally loaded, just in a different way.

I guess there’s no way to make acknowledging the fact that many BAME people’s families were taken from their homes and used as slaves and have since suffered disparities and injustices that are dehumanising generation after generation. It’s not a sanitised subject and is still very real and raw with different communities.

It’s a murky, mucky, horrible blight on human kind and if the worst I have to suffer is that I have to every now and then consider the privileges that being white has afforded me and how that may influence my choices/views/opinions/actions then fair enough.

Surely Sparks' point is that while people like yourself (and many others) are able to recognise our 'privilege' or 'lack of discrimination', if some feel attacked - wrongly IMO, but they will - then you won't get traction with them.

FWIW I think it's a purely academic argument because the language is set, you can't just waltz in decades later and change to a new term overnight. I mean there's a catalogue of racist/sexist/homophobic terms and many people have no problem still using them.
Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:23 - Jun 2 with 1139 viewsSpruceMoose

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:21 - Jun 2 by SirBasilBrush

Thanks for that hot take.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:23 - Jun 2 with 1127 viewsHerbivore

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:21 - Jun 2 by Kievthegreat

Surely Sparks' point is that while people like yourself (and many others) are able to recognise our 'privilege' or 'lack of discrimination', if some feel attacked - wrongly IMO, but they will - then you won't get traction with them.

FWIW I think it's a purely academic argument because the language is set, you can't just waltz in decades later and change to a new term overnight. I mean there's a catalogue of racist/sexist/homophobic terms and many people have no problem still using them.

I'm not sure the kind of folk who get upset at the term white privilege are the kind of folk that are going to be easily persuaded to recognise and fight racism.

Login to get fewer ads

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:24 - Jun 2 with 1124 viewsfooters

It worked for Malevich.

Welcome, vocal new poster. I look forward to following your exploits closely.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:24 - Jun 2 with 1122 viewsBlueBadger

First ever TWTD post and pops up to say this. Which returning wing nut is this then?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:25 - Jun 2 with 1114 viewsLibero

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:21 - Jun 2 by Kievthegreat

I get the point, it just doesn’t stand in my opinion. As Herb said, any white person that takes offence to the term is actually rather ironically exercising their white privilege.

It’s been a cool conversation but I think my parts done in it, otherwise I’ll just be repeating myself.
Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:26 - Jun 2 with 1107 viewsKievthegreat

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:23 - Jun 2 by Herbivore

I'm not sure the kind of folk who get upset at the term white privilege are the kind of folk that are going to be easily persuaded to recognise and fight racism.

Of course it won't be easy, but it needs to be done nonetheless.
Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:28 - Jun 2 with 1095 viewseastangliaisblue

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:20 - Jun 2 by jeera

It simply means that white people do not get treated negatively as a matter of course because of their colour.

I would say in the case of this country class privilege is a bigger issue.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 18:29]
Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:33 - Jun 2 with 1076 viewsBlueBadger

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:15 - Jun 2 by eastangliaisblue

I have read the thread. It has turned into a thread about white privilege has it not?

And yet you've still managed to learn nowt. White privalege at it's finest - 'this doesn't affect me, so it doesn't exist'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:36 - Jun 2 with 1060 viewsHerbivore

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:26 - Jun 2 by Kievthegreat

Of course it won't be easy, but it needs to be done nonetheless.

You can't make a blind man see.

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:36 - Jun 2 with 1062 viewsSpruceMoose

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:28 - Jun 2 by eastangliaisblue

Thought experiment.

Ask yourself this. You're being reincarnated. If you had to choose, without knowing any further details, would you rather be reincarnated as a white working class person or a working class BAME person? What do you think might be the pluses and minuses of each choice?
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 18:43]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:40 - Jun 2 with 1045 viewsjeera

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:28 - Jun 2 by eastangliaisblue

What? No, you've completely missed the point.

I don't know how.

Maybe I'm not helping so possibly one of the branier people can offer more.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:42 - Jun 2 with 1038 viewseastangliaisblue

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:33 - Jun 2 by BlueBadger

And yet you've still managed to learn nowt. White privalege at it's finest - 'this doesn't affect me, so it doesn't exist'.

I'll say the same to you as i have another poster. I am of mixed heritage therefore not white.
Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:42 - Jun 2 with 1036 viewsbluelagos

Is it a competition? Can't we agree that class privilege is indeed a massive issue in the UK just as white privilege is?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:44 - Jun 2 with 1018 viewsTrequartista

Ooh, so close to a Connect 4. But i've blocked it now.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:46 - Jun 2 with 1004 viewsfooters

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:44 - Jun 2 by Trequartista

Ooh, so close to a Connect 4. But i've blocked it now.

Ah, it's Trekkie, appearing on another thread about racism without actually offering anything by way of argument.

Always funny how you pop up on these threads. Wonder why.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:50 - Jun 2 with 975 viewssparks

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:20 - Jun 2 by jeera

The point is that it nevertheless is heard as a criticism- which arguably doesnt help in getting people on board. I recognise the argument that it is necessary or justified. I just think it ends up as a battle ground, where certain groups of people might actually find a good deal of common ground were it not getting in the way.

Which is the lesser evil is hard to say.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:51 - Jun 2 with 972 viewseastangliaisblue

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:36 - Jun 2 by SpruceMoose

Thought experiment.

Ask yourself this. You're being reincarnated. If you had to choose, without knowing any further details, would you rather be reincarnated as a white working class person or a working class BAME person? What do you think might be the pluses and minuses of each choice?
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 18:43]

I don't think it would matter what i was i'd have to fight for my place in this world being working class regardless. Which is exactly what i have had to do.
Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:52 - Jun 2 with 965 viewsSpruceMoose

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:51 - Jun 2 by eastangliaisblue

I don't think it would matter what i was i'd have to fight for my place in this world being working class regardless. Which is exactly what i have had to do.

Ok, so do you think that fight would be made harder by being White or BAME? Or do you genuinely think that neither has an advantage over the other?
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 18:52]

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:53 - Jun 2 with 960 viewsHerbivore

Shout out to all the pious berks on Instagram on 18:50 - Jun 2 by sparks

The point is that it nevertheless is heard as a criticism- which arguably doesnt help in getting people on board. I recognise the argument that it is necessary or justified. I just think it ends up as a battle ground, where certain groups of people might actually find a good deal of common ground were it not getting in the way.

Which is the lesser evil is hard to say.

Honestly Sparks, which people that are offended by the ts white privilege do you think would find common ground with those who think white privilege (by a different name) is an issue? I think you're being incredibly naive here.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024