Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trump v Biden 11:39 - Jun 3 with 1377 viewsMoriarty

Having read a few bits and pieces concerning events in the USA, I wondered who will prevail in November.

In 1968, after the Chicago Riots, Nixon got the “silent majority” to vote for him after Mayor Daly’s response to the riots. Daley’s response has obvious parallels with Trump.

In an interview with Playboy in 1990, Trump remarked on the vicious handling of Tiananmen Square but also remarked how they put it down with strength and how strength prevails.

Trump is a narcissist. A wrecking ball. Nero. It will be a high octane election campaign.

Do you think Trump or Biden will prevail in November?

[Post edited 3 Jun 2020 12:11]

fka omuircheartaigh

Trump v Biden on 11:49 - Jun 3 with 1342 viewsRyorry

If logic, reason, humanity and decency were to prevail, then anyone but Trump.

Unfortunately these days, image, charisma, "strength" and the lowest common denominator are what seem to prevail - and the image of Biden that came across on Monday's 10pm TV news was (to me anyway) simply that of a tired old man who wouldn't have the energy or drive to tackle anything very much.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Trump v Biden on 11:59 - Jun 3 with 1319 viewsDarth_Koont

Nixon got elected after two Democrat terms. So think the cyclical nature of politics explains most of that. It was also after a great period of social and world change most of it for the better but Vietnam and the race riots/King assassination probably felt like the world was going out of control.

Now Trump is in the same position essentially - but with zero sign of him being involved in anything good and his fingerprints over things that are worse.

The problem is that political parties and the media are nowadays too invested in the system and too beholden to it. Biden doesn't excite - he's just presenting the warmer side of the Establishment and I worry that the Democrats haven't actually done enough for the disenfranchised and disillusioned to guarantee their support.

They're the lesser of two evils - but even that has played into Trump's hands because he's a stronger, more confident "evil". He and a lot of the US population fetishize power and success so he's probably still winning on that score. And he'll probably win in a race/identity war too.

Pronouns: He/Him

Trump v Biden on 12:01 - Jun 3 with 1307 viewstractordownsouth

Gun to my head, I'd say it'll be Trump - but I'm far less certain of it than I was pre-covid, as Biden has come across as very statesmanlike.

Recent polling suggests that a majority of Americans support army involvement in the riots, so that will play into his hands. Overall it will come down to debate performances and how well the economy recovers between now and November.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Trump v Biden on 12:01 - Jun 3 with 1308 viewsElderGrizzly

Given a police officer killed an unarmed black man through excessive force, this is what he tweeted 10 mins ago

He doesn’t care what anyone but his base thinks and this works
Trump v Biden on 12:04 - Jun 3 with 1283 viewsMoriarty

Trump v Biden on 11:49 - Jun 3 by Ryorry

If logic, reason, humanity and decency were to prevail, then anyone but Trump.

Unfortunately these days, image, charisma, "strength" and the lowest common denominator are what seem to prevail - and the image of Biden that came across on Monday's 10pm TV news was (to me anyway) simply that of a tired old man who wouldn't have the energy or drive to tackle anything very much.

Indeed. Trump calls JB “sleepy Joe” and I wonder how JB will cope with a gruelling campaign against a wrecking ball.

I’m sure those who study voters and voting trends will follow the campaign and all it entails with great interest. So many reasons to vote against Trump and yet........

Per the Chinese curse, we live in interesting times.

fka omuircheartaigh

The Democrats appear to.... on 12:06 - Jun 3 with 1269 viewsBloots

….have conceded defeat by selecting Biden, he's a tired old man with very little charisma or energy.

They needed a fresh face with more dynamism.

A lot of Americans are stupid and will vote for the madman because he's famous and been on the telly.

The world is a terrible place at the moment.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Trump v Biden on 12:11 - Jun 3 with 1252 viewsLankHenners

In a normal world both of them would be sure-fire losses against a mildly competent looking opponent on either side, given one's a obnoxiously vile senile old man with an ultra-Patriotic and Nationalistic outlook on the world, and the other's a senile old man whose limited public appearances (for someone running for president) are deliberately managed by his team who are aware of his declining cognitive abilities, and whose political history is made up of making bad (from a progressive perspective) voting choices and other decisions, and then going 'ah, might have been a mistake, that' after the event.

Trump 'just' has to do what he did last time, i.e. win the right votes in the right places to give him the electoral college victory. Really not impossible, although the mass unemployment is his biggest obstacle, given he builds himself on 'making America great again' through a strong economy and job market. It's notable he's made a big thing of being a 'law and order' president over the last few days, and I'm sure we'll see him pat himself on the back for solving the problem, even though he helped stoke it. The Patriotic aspect of his support will have been ramped up, but more 'moderate' Republican voters may have had enough, although that's unlikely to be a transferred vote to Biden.

Biden, when he can keep his train of thought for a rare 5 minutes, is the 'return to normalcy' a lot of people crave (which I don't like but that's a separate matter), although he'll have a hard time convincing the progressive or 'anti-establishment' electorate to vote for him, given that, for the former, he represents a system which has repeatedly blocked off and prevented their voice from being heard and represented, and for the latter, the embodiment of the 'corporate politician' they have no interest in. Trump will probably have more success with the latter category. A lot may hinge on his VP pick but it'll be hard to make anyone not seem like a token gesture anymore than his initial announcement that it'll be a woman was.

As with a lot of elections, it'll come down to a group of undecided people who haven't thought about politics for 4 years, having their mind swayed anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 days before the vote.

To call it now I'd say Trump with a smaller victory and with Biden getting a higher share of the popular vote than Clinton did last time. I just think that whilst many more people might be motivated to vote after the events of the past few days, when it comes to it, Trump will be able to speak to the key areas better than Biden will, and when all this blows over, a lot of the apathy and disillusionment that people feel for politics will come back when they have to think about voting for Biden.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

The Democrats appear to.... on 12:20 - Jun 3 with 1217 viewsBlueBadger

The Democrats appear to.... on 12:06 - Jun 3 by Bloots

….have conceded defeat by selecting Biden, he's a tired old man with very little charisma or energy.

A lot of Americans are stupid and will vote for the madman because he's famous and been on the telly.

Mick vs Lambert innit.

Lambert out.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

The Democrats appear to.... on 12:23 - Jun 3 with 1204 viewsIllinoisblue

Biden seems to have early onset dementia judging from recent interviews. He could get destroyed in any kind of debate, even by someone as intellectually challenged as that orange haired c**t.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The Democrats appear to.... on 12:53 - Jun 3 with 1157 viewsElderGrizzly

The Democrats appear to.... on 12:23 - Jun 3 by Illinoisblue

Biden seems to have early onset dementia judging from recent interviews. He could get destroyed in any kind of debate, even by someone as intellectually challenged as that orange haired c**t.

There is fairly good evidence that both do sadly.

Also very good sources in DC that Trump was treated for a stroke a few months ago too.
The Democrats appear to.... on 15:21 - Jun 3 with 1027 viewsIllinoisblue

The Democrats appear to.... on 12:53 - Jun 3 by ElderGrizzly

There is fairly good evidence that both do sadly.

Also very good sources in DC that Trump was treated for a stroke a few months ago too.

Yeah didn’t trump go for an unscheduled medical visit a few months back and it was hushed up?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Trump v Biden on 15:27 - Jun 3 with 1011 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Surely one thing that is needed is to mobilise the voters.

I wonder what proportion of non-whites normally vote and what proportion are not normally even registered (who could be). If those in opposition to Trump could mobilise that vote it would make a big difference wouldn't it? Or is it too few in the states that matter? I don't follow their system at all so don't know.

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The Democrats appear to.... on 15:39 - Jun 3 with 990 viewsJ2BLUE

Agree Biden isn't a great option but he's a million times better than Trump. Hopefully he'll pick a good running mate who can provide the energy to his experience.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The Democrats appear to.... on 15:50 - Jun 3 with 976 viewsBlueBadger

The Democrats appear to.... on 15:39 - Jun 3 by J2BLUE

Agree Biden isn't a great option but he's a million times better than Trump. Hopefully he'll pick a good running mate who can provide the energy to his experience.

Apparently, Kamala Harris is the top tip.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/500582-harris-trump-just-tear-gassed-peacefu

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Trump v Biden on 15:57 - Jun 3 with 956 viewsNthQldITFC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-52903545

15:53 - Trump: 'I was only in bunker to inspect it'

Right oh!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024