Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Surely more fun to let a mob do it? 19:50 - Jun 9 with 4357 viewsgordon

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 21:53 - Jun 9 with 1322 viewsBlueBadger

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 20:44 - Jun 9 by factual_blue

Does 'being a bit too keen on hitler' cover these words in the second of his two letters to the German leader?

'Such are your humiliation of Czechoslovakia, the rape of Poland and the swallowing of Denmark. I am aware that your view of life regards such spoliations as virtuous acts. But we have been taught from childhood to regard them as acts degrading humanity...'

And whilst he addressed hitler as 'dear friend', that should be seen in the context of his statement that Dear friend, that I address you as a friend is no formality. I own no foes.'

https://www.indiatoday.in/news-analysis/story/when-mahatma-gandhi-chided-hitler-

So, Hitler was only a 'fairly nice chap, I'm afraid'?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 21:57 - Jun 9 with 1314 viewsgordon

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 21:49 - Jun 9 by BlueBadger

You disgust me Banksy. Surely you can fins a scrap man that'll offer us triple figures?

Grind us up and stick us in gravel sacks, £10 a pop. Collection only.
Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 22:00 - Jun 9 with 1304 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 21:44 - Jun 9 by BanksterDebtSlave

I live on planet Earth maaaaaaan!

Questionable...

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 22:23 - Jun 9 with 1274 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 22:00 - Jun 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

Questionable...

Whenever I upset you I know I am still on the right track!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 22:39 - Jun 9 with 1256 viewstractordownsouth

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 20:13 - Jun 9 by factual_blue

WHERE WERE YOU TOMMY? OUR PROUD SLAVE TRADERS NEED YOU!

Doesn't Tower Hamlets have a large Muslim population? Are Tommy gets a bit teary at the prospect of having to meet a Muslim without his mates shouting abuse at them in the background

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 23:11 - Jun 9 with 1235 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 22:23 - Jun 9 by BanksterDebtSlave

Whenever I upset you I know I am still on the right track!

Not upset darling. Try harder.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 23:14 - Jun 9 with 1229 viewslowhouseblue

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 20:39 - Jun 9 by Swansea_Blue

Change is a comming. Time for people to decide whther they want to be on the right side of history.

trouble is history has many different right sides

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/fury-over-claim-harold-w

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 23:19 - Jun 9 with 1213 viewsFreddies_Ears

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 23:14 - Jun 9 by lowhouseblue

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/fury-over-claim-harold-w

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about the Sir Alf statue, as he was a bit rude about foreigners on occasion.
Login to get fewer ads

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 23:30 - Jun 9 with 1207 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 20:39 - Jun 9 by Swansea_Blue

Change is a comming. Time for people to decide whther they want to be on the right side of history.

Seems a sensible change.

There's unlikely to be a continent untouched by this kind of soul searching relating to the slave trade in some way.

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 07:23 - Jun 10 with 1104 viewsgordon

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 23:14 - Jun 9 by lowhouseblue

Is there any reason why we need to fill our public places with celebrations of power? Are there not other aspects of human culture worthy of regard?

My guess, for what it's worth, is that in a fairly distant future, people will look back at all our statues and will think we were completely nuts.

So yes, rip that one down too.
Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 07:43 - Jun 10 with 1089 viewsStokieBlue

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 07:23 - Jun 10 by gordon

Is there any reason why we need to fill our public places with celebrations of power? Are there not other aspects of human culture worthy of regard?

My guess, for what it's worth, is that in a fairly distant future, people will look back at all our statues and will think we were completely nuts.

So yes, rip that one down too.

When judging historical eras by contemporary morals it's likely that future generations will think that lots of things we did were unacceptable which seem reasonable to us.

It's a danger of judging historical eras in a modern context. I think many would be surprised how people in 250 years view some actions of the present day.

Obviously not with regards to slavery though, some things are clearly wrong on all levels.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 07:48 - Jun 10 with 1077 viewsgordon

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 07:43 - Jun 10 by StokieBlue

When judging historical eras by contemporary morals it's likely that future generations will think that lots of things we did were unacceptable which seem reasonable to us.

It's a danger of judging historical eras in a modern context. I think many would be surprised how people in 250 years view some actions of the present day.

Obviously not with regards to slavery though, some things are clearly wrong on all levels.

SB

I just meant in terms of the very idea of using public spaces to have statues of powerful people.
Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 07:49 - Jun 10 with 1074 viewsbluelagos

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 07:43 - Jun 10 by StokieBlue

SB

Fair comments.

But ref the Brits putting oil supplies ahead of starving people (as alleged - not an expert) that would am sure be regarding as abhorrent in the late 60s every bit as much as today.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 08:15 - Jun 10 with 1052 viewsStokieBlue

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 07:49 - Jun 10 by bluelagos

Fair comments.

But ref the Brits putting oil supplies ahead of starving people (as alleged - not an expert) that would am sure be regarding as abhorrent in the late 60s every bit as much as today.

Of course and I am also not an expert on this particular case I wasn't talking about this specific example (I should have been clearer), just a more general question.

How do you think they will view our jobs or the companies we worked for in 200 years? If it's not well does that mean you we are bad people?

Same with eating meat or flying for weekend breaks. Will they be OK with it if the sea levels are 20m above where they are now? Will they approve of the endless space junk and use of materials just to make sure we have a new phone every two years? Will they see the use of cheap labour in other countries in order to get cheap goods for ourselves as a form of economic slavery?

SB

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 08:21 - Jun 10 with 1043 viewsStokieBlue

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 07:48 - Jun 10 by gordon

I just meant in terms of the very idea of using public spaces to have statues of powerful people.

That's certainly a fair comment.

SB

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 08:45 - Jun 10 with 1021 viewsbluelagos

Surely more fun to let a mob do it? on 08:15 - Jun 10 by StokieBlue

Of course and I am also not an expert on this particular case I wasn't talking about this specific example (I should have been clearer), just a more general question.

How do you think they will view our jobs or the companies we worked for in 200 years? If it's not well does that mean you we are bad people?

Same with eating meat or flying for weekend breaks. Will they be OK with it if the sea levels are 20m above where they are now? Will they approve of the endless space junk and use of materials just to make sure we have a new phone every two years? Will they see the use of cheap labour in other countries in order to get cheap goods for ourselves as a form of economic slavery?

SB

The one I do think people will look back and say wtf is our issues / debate around gender identity.

The idea that people can't just be whatever they want to be - that people actually got upset at how others' chose to identify will I think be as bizarre in say 50 years as our grandparents views on race are to us.

Diet could be another one - feeding up animals so the wealthy can eat meat while many go hungry - and the environmental impact - think the Vegans will have that one if I am honest. (Where's Callis when you need him!)

As for working for bad companies - we do have a choice! I have never considered oil companies for the very reason of how they have behaved in places like Nigeria. Though I am lucky enough to be aware and to have alternative options, when many don't.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2020 8:48]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024