Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty 11:25 - Jul 29 with 14436 viewstractordownsouth

I think this sums up my reaction to it... now they can’t blame immigrants anymore, it’s back to poverty shaming

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 11:46 - Jul 29 with 7635 viewsLibero

Agree with the point you're making, but "Hollie Borland" has made a poor and simplistic point there that ignores a multitude of factors that play into people on benefits making poor food choices systematically.

Rees-Mogg has answered in kind, exposing herself as a berk, obviously, but yeah not a fan of that opening gambit.
Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:04 - Jul 29 with 7605 viewssparks

Whilst its bizarre that its even a comment worth making- I dont see what is wrong with tescos potatoes, or with noting their price...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:05 - Jul 29 with 7588 viewsLibero

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:04 - Jul 29 by sparks

Whilst its bizarre that its even a comment worth making- I dont see what is wrong with tescos potatoes, or with noting their price...

I think that's it, she's responded in kind. Obviously it exposes a level of callousness and feeds into the image of the Rees-Moggs having absolute disdain for the poor, but that first tweet is a car crash.
Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:06 - Jul 29 with 7584 viewsfooters

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:04 - Jul 29 by sparks

Well, for one thing it's an unfair comparison as she didn't include the price of fat/oil to cook them in, which would likely mean they're equivalent in price save for 50g of spuds.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:08 - Jul 29 with 7567 viewshomer_123

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:06 - Jul 29 by footers

Well, for one thing it's an unfair comparison as she didn't include the price of fat/oil to cook them in, which would likely mean they're equivalent in price save for 50g of spuds.

Eat them raw innit

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:08 - Jul 29 with 7557 viewsLibero

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:06 - Jul 29 by footers

That's splitting hairs somewhat.

She's exposed herself for being absolutely on brand, but actually her retort to what was a very base tweet was pretty much just responding in kind.

I'll file this one away under "yeah, we know"
Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:12 - Jul 29 with 7527 viewssparks

Why do you need fat or oil? Perhaps I am missing the earlier tweets or something.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:14 - Jul 29 with 7507 viewsPendejo

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:12 - Jul 29 by sparks

Why do you need fat or oil? Perhaps I am missing the earlier tweets or something.

Exactly, simply boil in water... Cheaper and easier, date I suggest healthier than oven chips

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Login to get fewer ads

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:16 - Jul 29 with 7496 viewssparks

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:14 - Jul 29 by Pendejo

Exactly, simply boil in water... Cheaper and easier, date I suggest healthier than oven chips

less tasty perhaps- but entirely reasonable.

If her point is comparing the cost of oven chips to potatoes- than that is absurdly petty. Not least, because it is implicit in such a comparison, that she is talking about people for whom the difference of 50 pence is significant.

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:20 - Jul 29 with 7476 viewsLibero

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:16 - Jul 29 by sparks

less tasty perhaps- but entirely reasonable.

If her point is comparing the cost of oven chips to potatoes- than that is absurdly petty. Not least, because it is implicit in such a comparison, that she is talking about people for whom the difference of 50 pence is significant.

The whole thing is a non starter thanks to the original point being posed, actually it's exactly the kind of poorly thought out nonsense designed to get a reaction that means I avoid Twitter.
Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:21 - Jul 29 with 7471 viewsDanTheMan

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:14 - Jul 29 by Pendejo

And absolutely tasteless.

This is exactly the issue, if you want boiled potatoes to taste nice, they need seasoning. Which brings us back round to a surprisingly large amount of people never being taught how to cook.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:24 - Jul 29 with 7453 viewsLibero

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:21 - Jul 29 by DanTheMan

This is exactly the issue, if you want boiled potatoes to taste nice, they need seasoning. Which brings us back round to a surprisingly large amount of people never being taught how to cook.

Never being taught how to cook, not understanding nutrition, living generation after generation eating nothing but cr@p, etc, etc.

In fact, I'd say that "price" is probably nowhere near as much of an issue as is made out.
Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:28 - Jul 29 with 7437 viewsDanTheMan

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:24 - Jul 29 by Libero

Never being taught how to cook, not understanding nutrition, living generation after generation eating nothing but cr@p, etc, etc.

In fact, I'd say that "price" is probably nowhere near as much of an issue as is made out.

I think price does come into it, as it's so damn easy and cheap to eat utter crap. Thinking of things like those big Tesco pizzas, very cheap, fairly filling, absolutely awful for you.

But as you say, it's only a party of the puzzle. If we taught people how to cook properly, then it would be probably cheaper to eat healthy. Especially once you realise you don't need to have meat in every meal.

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:29 - Jul 29 with 7437 viewssparks

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:21 - Jul 29 by DanTheMan

I remain of the view that anyone who actually wants to make an effort to cook, has absolutely no difficulty in finding out how. The sheer volume of cooking information on telly and the internet is extraordinary.

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:30 - Jul 29 with 7431 viewssparks

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:28 - Jul 29 by DanTheMan

I think price does come into it, as it's so damn easy and cheap to eat utter crap. Thinking of things like those big Tesco pizzas, very cheap, fairly filling, absolutely awful for you.

But as you say, it's only a party of the puzzle. If we taught people how to cook properly, then it would be probably cheaper to eat healthy. Especially once you realise you don't need to have meat in every meal.

Humans are often lazy. I include myself in that.

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:31 - Jul 29 with 7428 viewsjontysnut

We've been here before

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/dec/08/poor-cannot-cook-peer-eats-words
Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:32 - Jul 29 with 7427 viewsLibero

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:29 - Jul 29 by sparks

I remain of the view that anyone who actually wants to make an effort to cook, has absolutely no difficulty in finding out how. The sheer volume of cooking information on telly and the internet is extraordinary.

Yeah, that's b0llocks that reveals a bit of a lack of understanding about the demographic in question, as I said last time you expressed this falsehood.
Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:34 - Jul 29 with 7416 viewsDanTheMan

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:29 - Jul 29 by sparks

Sure, but why not teach people when they are young like we do with all other skills like this?

Even then most shows and stuff just start off with "here is a recipe, hope you've got all the bits" rather than teaching people fundamentals of why things work, how you should prepare certain things etc.

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:37 - Jul 29 with 7395 viewsLibero

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:34 - Jul 29 by DanTheMan

Sure, but why not teach people when they are young like we do with all other skills like this?

Even then most shows and stuff just start off with "here is a recipe, hope you've got all the bits" rather than teaching people fundamentals of why things work, how you should prepare certain things etc.

It's worth pointing out that a young person from a family that is generation upon generation upon generation of people on benefits that has been eating poorly would have to be quite a strong and resourceful individual to not only seek out that information but to action it while still living at home.

It's just not as simple as sparks makes out, the idea that just because something exists you should in theory be able to not only access it but utilise the information within it, ignores a myriad of sociological factors.
Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:39 - Jul 29 with 7387 viewssparks

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:32 - Jul 29 by Libero

Yeah, that's b0llocks that reveals a bit of a lack of understanding about the demographic in question, as I said last time you expressed this falsehood.

What is the alleged falsehood?

There is clearly enormous access to all the relevant information and advice.

A relatively small group of individuals with various special needs are going to struggle to deal with such things alone- thats a given.

A much larger group, could clearly choose to. What is it about that demographic I dont understand? And what demongraphic are you actually referring to.

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:39 - Jul 29 with 7383 viewsPendejo

I would humbly suggest that boiled potatoes can be presented in a number of imaginative ways

However the original point was boiled potatoes v chips, as no serving suggestion was supplied I deliberately left it bland.I
Boiled potatoes need water which is much cheaper than the day / oil needed for chips as referenced by Sparks

Don't know about anyone else but I like my chips with freshly cracked black pepper, salt and vinegar, sometimes a little mayo or other sauce.

However you like your chips, you can probably have boiled potato, and it's probably healthier. Also my buying potatoes you can cook them a number of ways... Good luck with boiled chips

uberima fides

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:40 - Jul 29 with 7379 viewsLibero

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:39 - Jul 29 by sparks

What is the alleged falsehood?

There is clearly enormous access to all the relevant information and advice.

A relatively small group of individuals with various special needs are going to struggle to deal with such things alone- thats a given.

A much larger group, could clearly choose to. What is it about that demographic I dont understand? And what demongraphic are you actually referring to.

Your privilege is showing.
Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:47 - Jul 29 with 7354 viewssparks

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:40 - Jul 29 by Libero

Your privilege is showing.

Oh dear- that's about as clear a shot in one's own foot as could be conceived.

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:49 - Jul 29 with 7349 viewsLibero

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:39 - Jul 29 by Pendejo

I would humbly suggest that boiled potatoes can be presented in a number of imaginative ways

However the original point was boiled potatoes v chips, as no serving suggestion was supplied I deliberately left it bland.I
Boiled potatoes need water which is much cheaper than the day / oil needed for chips as referenced by Sparks

Don't know about anyone else but I like my chips with freshly cracked black pepper, salt and vinegar, sometimes a little mayo or other sauce.

However you like your chips, you can probably have boiled potato, and it's probably healthier. Also my buying potatoes you can cook them a number of ways... Good luck with boiled chips

You are of course correct, but as I insinuated further up the thread, this is precisely the kind of debate that Twitter encourages which takes away from the actual issue(s) at hand.

There are people out there who for a variety of reasons need support to eat better, that's essentially the issue at hand, not the merit of boiled potatoes VS chips or oven chips vs smart price potatoes.
Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:49 - Jul 29 with 7345 viewsPendejo

Annunziata Rees Mogg lecturing people on food poverty on 12:28 - Jul 29 by DanTheMan

As the member of the Reece Mogg clan points out, the chips cost more than the equivalent weight of fresh potatoes.

The main difference being all you have to do with them is drop them in a deep fat fryer (or maybe an oven tray), whereas the potatoes may need preparing (wash, peel, chop etc.) - hence laziness or as you've said, lack of education.

uberima fides

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024