Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices 18:05 - Aug 27 with 5690 viewsSteve_M

Aside from a sense of 'well, they would be wouldn't they' I wonder if it's more a generational thing that fewer people of that age group understand jobs that can easily be done from home.

It might also be they are most susceptible to those parts of the media busy insinuating that WFH = skiving.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 08:50 - Aug 28 with 1176 viewsSteve_M

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 18:31 - Aug 27 by Marshalls_Mullet

I'm not keen on this 'us' and 'them' mentality between generations. It's not healthy. I'm not just referring to Covid, I mean in general.

Things really aren't that polarised, although it seems that parts of society want us to think they are.

Fair, and I think the variation within age cohorts is in some senses greater than those between them. People don't have monolithic views and force fitting people into group and expecting them to think or vote in a certain way denies them agency.

It is, however, quite striking that the age group keenest that people return to offices is the one that wouldn't have to.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 09:23 - Aug 28 with 1149 viewsBloomBlue

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 21:37 - Aug 27 by Sarge

Boll0cks to the pandemic. Even before this what was the point in offices? I can do everything on my laptop, you have a phone if you want to call me but nah I’d much rather get up hours earlier to sit in traffic or on some crowded train to go to the same crappy desk and have the same crappy conversations before I get my same crappy meal deal, look at the clock, wish I was somewhere else before I have the same journey home just in time to wash up or iron something before going to bed to do it all again.

Good riddance to that, it’s the 21st century ffs.

(This was not aimed at you, more an addendum to your post)

That's what my wife keeps saying about football, "why do you need crowds in grounds just watch it on the TV, it’s the 21st century ffs" ok she doesn't add in the ffs but that's what she means.
As she keeps saying football is a job shouldn't make any difference to footballers if there is or isn't a crowd they should just get on with their job, show it on TV and charge people to watch it. Her argument to me is I already pay to watch non Town games on Sky/BT so no difference paying to watch Town games each week. That would remove the need for expensive stadiums saving the clubs millions.

She doesn't see the need for human interaction in a stadium it's the 21st century after all
Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 09:36 - Aug 28 with 1143 viewsWeWereZombies

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 08:39 - Aug 28 by bluelagos

There is little doubt society is becoming increasingly polarised, although that doesn't negate MM point that he is uncomfortable with it.

The one I think that is missed is urban/rural attitudes which having lived in both seem remarkably different to me. The current resentment from many in the countryside to urban visitors is increasingly vocal. (And not one I like!)

https://shotleypeninsula.nub.news/n/county-councillor-calls-on-cyclists-to-curb-

Having read that I have to say I cannot see much wrong with it, he is not asking people to stay away but just to act with a bit of respect for nature and rural life. I know that cycling in the countryside is a wonderful thing but you have to remember that acting like a cycle courier when all is are doing is seeking to get some fresh air can be counter productive. Furthermore, as someone who has had to take cyclists to task for disturbing nature reserves (and therefore risking the renewal of animal and plant life) there are one or two quite stupid cyclists around.

All that being said I can understand cyclists wanting to get off rural roads because the motorists are in a different league when it comes to bad behaviour.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 11:10 - Aug 28 with 1124 viewsDarth_Koont

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 08:39 - Aug 28 by bluelagos

There is little doubt society is becoming increasingly polarised, although that doesn't negate MM point that he is uncomfortable with it.

The one I think that is missed is urban/rural attitudes which having lived in both seem remarkably different to me. The current resentment from many in the countryside to urban visitors is increasingly vocal. (And not one I like!)

https://shotleypeninsula.nub.news/n/county-councillor-calls-on-cyclists-to-curb-

Sure, I can certainly share that discomfort.

But for me it's because there are quite severe structural inequalities in society and we have a press that is clickbaiting us and politicians gaslighting us to capitalise on those widening gaps.

It's a real failure of our political debate and our FPTP system that a minority can gain majority power and never appeal to common sense or consensus. In fact, that's their platform.

Pronouns: He/Him

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 12:07 - Aug 28 with 1103 viewsbluelagos

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 09:36 - Aug 28 by WeWereZombies

Having read that I have to say I cannot see much wrong with it, he is not asking people to stay away but just to act with a bit of respect for nature and rural life. I know that cycling in the countryside is a wonderful thing but you have to remember that acting like a cycle courier when all is are doing is seeking to get some fresh air can be counter productive. Furthermore, as someone who has had to take cyclists to task for disturbing nature reserves (and therefore risking the renewal of animal and plant life) there are one or two quite stupid cyclists around.

All that being said I can understand cyclists wanting to get off rural roads because the motorists are in a different league when it comes to bad behaviour.

The guy is implying cycling on a country footpath is a criminal offense when it is nothing of the sort. We should be encouraging people to cycle not making nonsensical threats.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 16:11 - Aug 28 with 1066 viewsSarge

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 09:23 - Aug 28 by BloomBlue

That's what my wife keeps saying about football, "why do you need crowds in grounds just watch it on the TV, it’s the 21st century ffs" ok she doesn't add in the ffs but that's what she means.
As she keeps saying football is a job shouldn't make any difference to footballers if there is or isn't a crowd they should just get on with their job, show it on TV and charge people to watch it. Her argument to me is I already pay to watch non Town games on Sky/BT so no difference paying to watch Town games each week. That would remove the need for expensive stadiums saving the clubs millions.

She doesn't see the need for human interaction in a stadium it's the 21st century after all

The difference being that football is entertainment and attendance is entirely optional. The social aspect of watching it in person is a key part of the experience.

Work on the other hand is neither entertaining nor done for the sheer pleasure of it and is not an experience. Instead it is a concept that the human race has developed to sustain us now that we don’t need to think about survival 24/7.

It’s reckless to encourage people back to the office just to prop up a few bloated sandwich chains and entirely pointless too. I hope I never seen the inside of an office again for the next 40 years of my working life.

Edit: you should take your wife to football. The smell of onions and deep heat and the sounds of an uneducated rant at Chambers in an accent so thick you could serve it on a spoon will instantly show how important football in person is.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2020 16:13]
Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 13:43 - Aug 29 with 1026 viewsWeWereZombies

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 12:07 - Aug 28 by bluelagos

The guy is implying cycling on a country footpath is a criminal offense when it is nothing of the sort. We should be encouraging people to cycle not making nonsensical threats.

He is just pointing out that prosecutions could take place if a landowner chooses if someone cycles on a footpath which has not been designated, not all footpaths are suitable for cycling. I read it as him trying to educate cyclists and maybe offer them a bit of protection from more aggressive landowners.

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 14:17 - Aug 29 with 1009 viewsThe_Major

Let's get something straight here.

Those of us working from home are not slackers, or taking the easy way out. We had no break. We finished work at the office one night, and started at home the next. We kept going.

We're not sitting here with our feet up watching Bargain Hunt. We're carrying on trying to do the best we can in an unusual situation. We're the ones who are trying to ensure that there's no drop in the service we provide despite there being more national disruption since any time since the war. We're the ones in some cases that have had to deal with unprecedented demand at the peak of the first wave.

We're the ones that have had to make do and mend by carrying on our job on coffee tables or on beds or on a whole host of items that weren't built for that.

And furthermore, believe me, in several cases, including my own, we'd quite like to go back to the office thank you very much. But it's not my decision. Nor is it the decision of Boris Johnson, Richard Littlejohn or the Daily Telegraph. It's the decision of my employer. As it should be.

And they've got a plan, and they'll have had a look at the advantages and disadvantages of having a certain number of people back per day. And they'll consider things like how can several thousand people move around eight floors with only fifteen lifts whilst adhering to the social distancing rules. Or if we get everyone back and then someone falls ill, do we have to shut down again?

It's not just a question of saying "Righto, I'll pop back on Tuesday". There are many things to consider. So, no matter what I, or anyone else may think, my employer has decided that it's not time to go back yet.

And I support that. Not because I don't want to go back, but because they haven't put a foot wrong through all this, and I trust them with my health and well being a damn sight more than a workshy liar of a Prime Minister, an idiot telling people to go to work writing his newspaper column in his Florida home, and a formerly respected newspaper run by a couple of tax avoiders.
Login to get fewer ads

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 14:41 - Aug 29 with 996 viewsbluelagos

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 13:43 - Aug 29 by WeWereZombies

He is just pointing out that prosecutions could take place if a landowner chooses if someone cycles on a footpath which has not been designated, not all footpaths are suitable for cycling. I read it as him trying to educate cyclists and maybe offer them a bit of protection from more aggressive landowners.

How can a prosecution take place? Tresspass is not a criminal offense so no one can be prosecuted for cycling on a footpath.

If the landowner believes a cyclist has caused damage to his land he could try and seek redress in the civil courts. But the idea that cycling on a footpath is damaging his land is a pretty weak argument imho.

Edit: Even if you were to accidentally cycle on private land which is not a public right of way - again you are not committing a criminal offense. The implication that you are is simply incorrect.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2020 14:45]

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 14:55 - Aug 29 with 981 viewsElephantintheRoom

It's not so much that non-jobs can be done from home, so much as the instant damage done to the economy by those non-jobs no longer funding transport infrastructure, overpriced coffee shops and sandwich bars etc

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 17:12 - Aug 29 with 946 viewsWeWereZombies

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 14:41 - Aug 29 by bluelagos

How can a prosecution take place? Tresspass is not a criminal offense so no one can be prosecuted for cycling on a footpath.

If the landowner believes a cyclist has caused damage to his land he could try and seek redress in the civil courts. But the idea that cycling on a footpath is damaging his land is a pretty weak argument imho.

Edit: Even if you were to accidentally cycle on private land which is not a public right of way - again you are not committing a criminal offense. The implication that you are is simply incorrect.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2020 14:45]

Technically you are not allowed to cycle on a public footpath but few will worry about it when you are a respectful cyclist. Prosecutions can only be made for aggravated trespass, not common trespass. Bridleways and roads used as public paths are fine to cycle on, but as in most of life, a little tolerance goes a long way:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/biking/cyclists_and_rights_of_way_on_footpaths

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 18:04 - Aug 29 with 912 viewsbluelagos

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 17:12 - Aug 29 by WeWereZombies

Technically you are not allowed to cycle on a public footpath but few will worry about it when you are a respectful cyclist. Prosecutions can only be made for aggravated trespass, not common trespass. Bridleways and roads used as public paths are fine to cycle on, but as in most of life, a little tolerance goes a long way:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/biking/cyclists_and_rights_of_way_on_footpaths

Agree with that and as a walker and a cyclist, I'd always give (and expect) way to a walker.

The thing about having a "right" is a bit of a red herring, the way uk criminal law works is you can do anything you want, unless there is a law prohibiting it. And there is no law prohibiting cycling on a country footpath/right of way.

So you don't have a right to do it, but you are breaking no laws. So I am happy to interpret that as I can do it.

That said I probably wouldnt if there was a sign requesting no cycling. The sea walls round Shotley have no such signs and plenty of cyclists do use them with no hassles at all.

I know a bit about it as have been challenged by a farmer near me when cycling through his farm yard (on a footpath) so read up on it a while back.

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 18:20 - Aug 29 with 899 viewsGaryCooper

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 14:17 - Aug 29 by The_Major

Those of us working from home are not slackers, or taking the easy way out. We had no break. We finished work at the office one night, and started at home the next. We kept going.

We're not sitting here with our feet up watching Bargain Hunt. We're carrying on trying to do the best we can in an unusual situation. We're the ones who are trying to ensure that there's no drop in the service we provide despite there being more national disruption since any time since the war. We're the ones in some cases that have had to deal with unprecedented demand at the peak of the first wave.

We're the ones that have had to make do and mend by carrying on our job on coffee tables or on beds or on a whole host of items that weren't built for that.

And furthermore, believe me, in several cases, including my own, we'd quite like to go back to the office thank you very much. But it's not my decision. Nor is it the decision of Boris Johnson, Richard Littlejohn or the Daily Telegraph. It's the decision of my employer. As it should be.

And they've got a plan, and they'll have had a look at the advantages and disadvantages of having a certain number of people back per day. And they'll consider things like how can several thousand people move around eight floors with only fifteen lifts whilst adhering to the social distancing rules. Or if we get everyone back and then someone falls ill, do we have to shut down again?

It's not just a question of saying "Righto, I'll pop back on Tuesday". There are many things to consider. So, no matter what I, or anyone else may think, my employer has decided that it's not time to go back yet.

And I support that. Not because I don't want to go back, but because they haven't put a foot wrong through all this, and I trust them with my health and well being a damn sight more than a workshy liar of a Prime Minister, an idiot telling people to go to work writing his newspaper column in his Florida home, and a formerly respected newspaper run by a couple of tax avoiders.

Big generalisations there, no doubt that not all home workers are as diligent as you.

Working from home is not easy, in fact it is bloody difficult, it is hugely damaging to the economy and will lead to large amounts of job losses.

People need to get back to work, if one is healthy, not a fatty, then conditions are perfectly good to return.
Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 18:28 - Aug 29 with 896 viewsDubtractor

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 14:17 - Aug 29 by The_Major

Nailed it Major.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 19:03 - Aug 29 with 877 viewsvapour_trail

Fcking A, Major.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 19:08 - Aug 29 with 873 viewsvapour_trail

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 18:20 - Aug 29 by GaryCooper

Big generalisations there, no doubt that not all home workers are as diligent as you.

Working from home is not easy, in fact it is bloody difficult, it is hugely damaging to the economy and will lead to large amounts of job losses.

People need to get back to work, if one is healthy, not a fatty, then conditions are perfectly good to return.

I had to move 131 people from office to home in March. Our productivity has not been impacted apart from areas where tech issues have slowed us down. The team have responded with unbelievable professionalism. There will of course, be the odd exception.

We cannot move everyone back to the office because the Johnson decrees it. At 2m, we can manage 29% capacity. So we are prioritising people in terms of those that work with our service users, then those whose productivity is impacted and those with health challenges, then the rest of us.

125 of my 131 will be at home until 2021 at least. Most of us would prefer access to office space and each other, but we will get on with it.

And finally, Littlejohn is a massive c()nt.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2020 19:09]

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 21:52 - Aug 29 with 823 viewsThe_Major

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 18:20 - Aug 29 by GaryCooper

Which is why I said that personally I would like to go back to the office myself, but my employer has decided its not possible.

And understandably, from going from just the odd one or two people working from home, to several hundred in the space of one week, with organisation and implementation of all the IT Paraphernalia that was needed, they're going to be reluctant to get people and equipment back only to have to do the same thing again in six weeks time. It's an inefficient thing to do at the minute.

Furthermore, any company worth it's salt is going to have methods of measuring productivity and output. Anyone who is slacking off is soon going to be found out. I mean, I don't doubt for a millisecond that some people out there WFH have been swinging the lead, but I reckon they're in a micro minority.

I deal with life insurance claims along with about 15 others in our teams, and as you can imagine, we were absolutely swamped in April and May, and had to deal with some very upset people over the phone who had lost people suddenly. Our incoming work was TREBLE what we expected it to be.

And we're like doctors, undertakers etc. It's a difficult time for people, and it's a difficult phone call to take at the best of times in a quiet air conditioned office, let alone having to do it in a conservatory when it's 30 degrees outside, you're slowly being reduced to liquid form, and you've got to keep an eye on the cat not causing havoc in the background. For those with kids, it's been even more problematic.

Despite all this, we kept the service going, we helped people, we were able to streamline the service in some cases to get it done quicker. And I'm really proud of my colleagues for keeping it going in the circumstances. And what I do is unimportant compared to those others who have worked non stop in other professions.

But am I going to sit here, and accept what a tired old hack like Littlejohn (who, to be honest, should be persona non grata in Ipswich after what he wrote during the Stephen Wright business) says, safely from his gated community in Florida says? Or what a newspaper owned by a couple of professional UK tax avoided from their castle on Sark, acting like they're the Lords of Winter fell, and now nothing more than a mouthpiece for this imbecilic Prime Minister and his despicable, weaselly, cowardly tapeworm of an adviser have to say? Trying to put forward the narrative that you're a lazy git if you don't go traipsing into an office that might be owned by one of their donors? Am I really going to accept that?,

No. No, I'm not. We weren't on Bournemouth beach or bundling down the pubs when they opened. We kept going.
Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 22:07 - Aug 29 with 806 viewsDubtractor

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 21:52 - Aug 29 by The_Major

Which is why I said that personally I would like to go back to the office myself, but my employer has decided its not possible.

And understandably, from going from just the odd one or two people working from home, to several hundred in the space of one week, with organisation and implementation of all the IT Paraphernalia that was needed, they're going to be reluctant to get people and equipment back only to have to do the same thing again in six weeks time. It's an inefficient thing to do at the minute.

Furthermore, any company worth it's salt is going to have methods of measuring productivity and output. Anyone who is slacking off is soon going to be found out. I mean, I don't doubt for a millisecond that some people out there WFH have been swinging the lead, but I reckon they're in a micro minority.

I deal with life insurance claims along with about 15 others in our teams, and as you can imagine, we were absolutely swamped in April and May, and had to deal with some very upset people over the phone who had lost people suddenly. Our incoming work was TREBLE what we expected it to be.

And we're like doctors, undertakers etc. It's a difficult time for people, and it's a difficult phone call to take at the best of times in a quiet air conditioned office, let alone having to do it in a conservatory when it's 30 degrees outside, you're slowly being reduced to liquid form, and you've got to keep an eye on the cat not causing havoc in the background. For those with kids, it's been even more problematic.

Despite all this, we kept the service going, we helped people, we were able to streamline the service in some cases to get it done quicker. And I'm really proud of my colleagues for keeping it going in the circumstances. And what I do is unimportant compared to those others who have worked non stop in other professions.

But am I going to sit here, and accept what a tired old hack like Littlejohn (who, to be honest, should be persona non grata in Ipswich after what he wrote during the Stephen Wright business) says, safely from his gated community in Florida says? Or what a newspaper owned by a couple of professional UK tax avoided from their castle on Sark, acting like they're the Lords of Winter fell, and now nothing more than a mouthpiece for this imbecilic Prime Minister and his despicable, weaselly, cowardly tapeworm of an adviser have to say? Trying to put forward the narrative that you're a lazy git if you don't go traipsing into an office that might be owned by one of their donors? Am I really going to accept that?,

No. No, I'm not. We weren't on Bournemouth beach or bundling down the pubs when they opened. We kept going.

You're my new favourite poster!

I relate to so much of both of those posts.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024