Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices 18:05 - Aug 27 with 5691 viewsSteve_M

Aside from a sense of 'well, they would be wouldn't they' I wonder if it's more a generational thing that fewer people of that age group understand jobs that can easily be done from home.

It might also be they are most susceptible to those parts of the media busy insinuating that WFH = skiving.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 18:59 - Aug 27 with 1670 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 18:58 - Aug 27 by bluelagos

Not politically we're not!!

Chill man, I didn't say we were.

... but that's ok too.

[Post edited 27 Aug 2020 19:00]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 18:59 - Aug 27 with 1668 viewsMullet

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 18:53 - Aug 27 by factual_blue

Typical ageist abuse.

You will be reported to organisations who monitor this sort of thing.

And Phil will ban you.

Pretty sure he just ignored you last time and will do again Meloserlah

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 19:16 - Aug 27 with 1638 views26_Paz

I’m back in a couple of days a week now and can honestly say I’m much happier for it. I don’t understand why more people don’t want to go back. Working from home full time did my absolute head in
Edit to add that now I’m in a couple of days the days I am at home are a lot more productive as I no longer feel the desire to shoot myself come about Thursday!
[Post edited 27 Aug 2020 19:17]

The Paz Man

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 19:18 - Aug 27 with 1635 viewsMullet

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 19:16 - Aug 27 by 26_Paz

I’m back in a couple of days a week now and can honestly say I’m much happier for it. I don’t understand why more people don’t want to go back. Working from home full time did my absolute head in
Edit to add that now I’m in a couple of days the days I am at home are a lot more productive as I no longer feel the desire to shoot myself come about Thursday!

The fact you can't understand why someone might have different feelings or circumstances to you is a bit of a worry isn't it? Especially when some people are genuinely at risk or struggling for all sorts of reasons under this venal and destructive "government".

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 19:19 - Aug 27 with 1629 viewsHerbivore

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 19:16 - Aug 27 by 26_Paz

Think some people are still a bit worried about the lethal pandemic, mate.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 19:21 - Aug 27 with 1615 viewsvapour_trail

Think this is likely where a lot of people will end up, which for most will be an improvement on their pre pandemic arrangements.

I’m not going to see our office until 2021, and got to say, there are times when it’s an uphill week being on video calls back to back.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 19:22 - Aug 27 with 1606 views26_Paz

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 19:18 - Aug 27 by Mullet

The fact you can't understand why someone might have different feelings or circumstances to you is a bit of a worry isn't it? Especially when some people are genuinely at risk or struggling for all sorts of reasons under this venal and destructive "government".

I never said I can’t understand why someone wouldn’t want to go back, I said I can’t understand why more people don’t want to go back. If someone is in the vulnerable category then, of course, I understand and they should be fully supported to remain at home. What I was saying is I don’t understand why more ‘healthy’ people don’t want to go back. As I said my personal experience is it did wonders for my mental health

The Paz Man

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 19:24 - Aug 27 with 1603 views26_Paz

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 19:21 - Aug 27 by vapour_trail

Think this is likely where a lot of people will end up, which for most will be an improvement on their pre pandemic arrangements.

I’m not going to see our office until 2021, and got to say, there are times when it’s an uphill week being on video calls back to back.

That’s exactly where I was. This hybrid model of 2 or 3 days in and 2 or 3 at home is the future I think.

The Paz Man

Login to get fewer ads

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 19:26 - Aug 27 with 1593 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

That might change when midweek fixtures return.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 19:27 - Aug 27 with 1584 views26_Paz

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 19:26 - Aug 27 by Marshalls_Mullet

That might change when midweek fixtures return.

Work the days to suit ;)

The Paz Man

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 19:27 - Aug 27 with 1589 viewsSwansea_Blue

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 18:27 - Aug 27 by Ryorry

Really surprised at that, not least because before I retired, one of the things I most enjoyed about working was the interaction, bantz and mutual support with colleagues.

Maybe the older group generally see the workers returning to offices as simply a return to more "normal" circumstances, and are happier at that prospect?

Personally, as a senior cit now I'd prefer people to wfh wherever poss, as long as they're happy to do so, on environmental grounds.

I reckon you’re part of a minority* in the retired age group. Sadly a lot are of people in that bracket are ‘these youngsters don’t know how lucky they are, I didn’t get to where I am today without fighting 3 World Wars, and Britain has gone to the dogs since we let all the foreigners in’ types.

*I’ve no idea how big the other group’s majority is, but that seems an almost ubiquitous viewpoint in my dad’s group of Daily Mail-reading friends and golfing buddies.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 19:28 - Aug 27 with 1583 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 19:27 - Aug 27 by 26_Paz

Work the days to suit ;)

...I was referring to the urge to shoot yourself by Thursday...

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 19:30 - Aug 27 with 1576 views26_Paz

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 19:28 - Aug 27 by Marshalls_Mullet

...I was referring to the urge to shoot yourself by Thursday...

Hahaha

The Paz Man

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 21:31 - Aug 27 with 1530 viewsSarge

The problem is a lot of people at board and MD level are old has-beens who can’t grasp technology (‘I don’t like Teams, boo hoo, I need to do everything face to face, wah’) and can’t imagine why anyone would possibly resist the idea of trudging to an office miles away everyday to waste your life away. After all, they’ve been doing it for 40 years.
Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 21:37 - Aug 27 with 1525 viewsSarge

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 19:19 - Aug 27 by Herbivore

Think some people are still a bit worried about the lethal pandemic, mate.

Boll0cks to the pandemic. Even before this what was the point in offices? I can do everything on my laptop, you have a phone if you want to call me but nah I’d much rather get up hours earlier to sit in traffic or on some crowded train to go to the same crappy desk and have the same crappy conversations before I get my same crappy meal deal, look at the clock, wish I was somewhere else before I have the same journey home just in time to wash up or iron something before going to bed to do it all again.

Good riddance to that, it’s the 21st century ffs.

(This was not aimed at you, more an addendum to your post)
Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 21:40 - Aug 27 with 1512 viewsvapour_trail

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 21:31 - Aug 27 by Sarge

The problem is a lot of people at board and MD level are old has-beens who can’t grasp technology (‘I don’t like Teams, boo hoo, I need to do everything face to face, wah’) and can’t imagine why anyone would possibly resist the idea of trudging to an office miles away everyday to waste your life away. After all, they’ve been doing it for 40 years.

I don’t think this is the case, from conversations I’ve been having, many many employers are planning on not returning to pre-Covid.

The reduction in estate appeals to a lot of organisations, albeit it might take a while to free yourself from tenancies or sell property.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 21:43 - Aug 27 with 1501 views26_Paz

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 21:40 - Aug 27 by vapour_trail

I don’t think this is the case, from conversations I’ve been having, many many employers are planning on not returning to pre-Covid.

The reduction in estate appeals to a lot of organisations, albeit it might take a while to free yourself from tenancies or sell property.

Tend to agree. I’ve heard a lot of talk about a hybrid model, which as I’ve said i think is the future. A couple of days a week gives a good mix of the benefits of both. Allows some ‘face time’ which undoubtably has benefits, particularly for training younger employees whilst still permitting improvements in work life balance and reductions in office space costs

The Paz Man

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 21:48 - Aug 27 with 1501 viewsSarge

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 21:40 - Aug 27 by vapour_trail

This is excellent news. My comment was really based on a sample size of 1.

Imagine a world where you don’t have to live close to whatever depressing place the office is/was in. I can’t wait!
Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 22:15 - Aug 27 with 1470 viewsjeera

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 18:16 - Aug 27 by jeera

The same people who don't understand how much of the UK's output is by the service industry and cannot understand why we don't manufacture more of our own goods etc.

Marshall's Mullet has been on ignore for months but still likes the odd snidy dig.

Which part of this can be disagreed with? It's a fact:

"The same people who don't understand how much of the UK's output is by the service industry."

And tends to go hand in hand with a zillion conversations we've all had with various people who "cannot understand why we don't manufacture more of our own goods etc."

Nothing there to disagree with at all.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 22:16 - Aug 27 with 1469 viewsRyorry

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 19:27 - Aug 27 by Swansea_Blue

I reckon you’re part of a minority* in the retired age group. Sadly a lot are of people in that bracket are ‘these youngsters don’t know how lucky they are, I didn’t get to where I am today without fighting 3 World Wars, and Britain has gone to the dogs since we let all the foreigners in’ types.

*I’ve no idea how big the other group’s majority is, but that seems an almost ubiquitous viewpoint in my dad’s group of Daily Mail-reading friends and golfing buddies.

I'd think it's a very sizeable minority, if it is. Two things -

FIrstly, I don't trust YouGov surveys much since being one of the "participants" for about 3 years now - I'd say 75% of them have at least one question which is seriously flawed. Eg, a Q of "what kind of work do you do?" with no option in A of "retired" - yet you have to tick something or the survey won't continue. So they're getting false info.

Secondly, in discussions I have on this & related topics with friends & neighbours in the same age group (don't have any rellies), probably 95% think the same. Of course you tend to pick friends with a similar outlook as yourself, and probably the same could be said re neighbours, as we live in a beautiful rural environment which we've either grown up in or chosen to move to, so there's likely a higher than average consciousness amongst us about the need to sustain it.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 22:35 - Aug 27 with 1444 viewsDarth_Koont

If you're over 50 in the UK, it's very difficult to resist the narratives that have been pumped out (I mean really PUMPED out with next to no counter-narrative).

Thank feck for the Internet. I'm always hopeful that the reason things are so bad at the moment is because it's the last, desperate struggle of the status quo finally having to face up to the real world.

Pronouns: He/Him

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 22:45 - Aug 27 with 1432 viewsDarth_Koont

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 18:31 - Aug 27 by Marshalls_Mullet

I'm not keen on this 'us' and 'them' mentality between generations. It's not healthy. I'm not just referring to Covid, I mean in general.

Things really aren't that polarised, although it seems that parts of society want us to think they are.

I think you need to look at the data.

Society is polarised. Across generations, classes, regions, races.

A lot of that is global, but UK politics is only widening the gaps.

Pronouns: He/Him

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 08:31 - Aug 28 with 1330 viewsGuthrum

A number of younger people I've spoken to are keen to get back to an office environment because of the mental suffering from lack of human (non-screen) contact when living alone, plus the difficulty of working in small flats or bedsits, lacking space and facilities.

That former circumstance is probably exacerbated by the Lockdown's curtailment of almost all social life as well. They might find WFH easier if able to freely meet and mingle in social environments such as the pub. But, on the other hand, for someone moving to a new area without the preexisting social networks, the office can be a vital start point for building a social group.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 08:39 - Aug 28 with 1323 viewsbluelagos

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 22:45 - Aug 27 by Darth_Koont

I think you need to look at the data.

Society is polarised. Across generations, classes, regions, races.

A lot of that is global, but UK politics is only widening the gaps.

There is little doubt society is becoming increasingly polarised, although that doesn't negate MM point that he is uncomfortable with it.

The one I think that is missed is urban/rural attitudes which having lived in both seem remarkably different to me. The current resentment from many in the countryside to urban visitors is increasingly vocal. (And not one I like!)

https://shotleypeninsula.nub.news/n/county-councillor-calls-on-cyclists-to-curb-

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 08:39 - Aug 28 with 1321 viewsthebooks

Guess which age group is most in favour of people returning to offices on 18:31 - Aug 27 by Marshalls_Mullet

I'm not keen on this 'us' and 'them' mentality between generations. It's not healthy. I'm not just referring to Covid, I mean in general.

Things really aren't that polarised, although it seems that parts of society want us to think they are.

This is the most sensible post I’ve read on here for years.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024