Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good/Cheap car models please 09:39 - Sep 1 with 1119 viewsJackSted

Just had a call from my garage... looks like I'm going to have to scrap my Clio after 4 years Exhaust fell of last weekend and it's going to cost me £750...

So yeah I need a new car please. Anyone know of any decent cars I could buy? Anywhere between £0 - £4000. Cheers

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

Good/Cheap car models please on 09:45 - Sep 1 with 1096 viewssoupytwist

If you want something roughly Clio sized I'd look at a petrol Hyundai Getz. I got one for my son to drive back in January and it's pretty good. Fairly basic but reliable and cheap to run.

Spend a couple of grand and keep a few quid back in case it needs the cambelt doing or the tyres are close to needing replacement.
Good/Cheap car models please on 09:47 - Sep 1 with 1092 viewsgiant_stow

I asked more or less the same question here recently. I mate told me that I had to buy a japnese car second hand cos they're so reliable on the whole.

I thought Honda Civics look nice and everyone here said they were good cars, so I went and bought an 08 S-type 3 door with a nice trim, 90,000 miles for £2,500. It's very spacious despite only having a few doors and half the back seat comes down so I could fit 2 bikes in there. Not super fast, but if you rev it, its fine. Not super economical, but can do in the 50mpg if you drive carefully.

Love it! Buy one!
[Post edited 1 Sep 2020 9:48]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Good/Cheap car models please on 09:55 - Sep 1 with 1060 viewsGuthrum

Skodas are cheap and very reliable. The Fabia is about a similar size.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Good/Cheap car models please on 09:55 - Sep 1 with 1060 viewsChondzoresk

Cant believe an exhaust costs £750. Shop around. Bet you could do it for half that price.
Good/Cheap car models please on 10:05 - Sep 1 with 1040 viewsbluelagos

Good/Cheap car models please on 09:55 - Sep 1 by Chondzoresk

Cant believe an exhaust costs £750. Shop around. Bet you could do it for half that price.

Or go to a scrap yard and put a second hand one on. They might even be willing to do it for you if you are happy to pay them.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Good/Cheap car models please on 10:13 - Sep 1 with 1022 viewsJackSted

Good/Cheap car models please on 09:55 - Sep 1 by Chondzoresk

I'm getting a second valuation from another garage this afternoon.

Thing is though, the exhaust falling off has caused a chain of things breaking... think there's something like 5 things that need replacing in the quote

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

Good/Cheap car models please on 10:15 - Sep 1 with 1013 viewshype313

Good/Cheap car models please on 10:13 - Sep 1 by JackSted

I'm getting a second valuation from another garage this afternoon.

Thing is though, the exhaust falling off has caused a chain of things breaking... think there's something like 5 things that need replacing in the quote

Go Japanese, and avoid anything with a Turbo as they tend to set a chain of events of if they go wrong.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Good/Cheap car models please on 10:18 - Sep 1 with 998 viewsCoco

Good/Cheap car models please on 10:15 - Sep 1 by hype313

Go Japanese, and avoid anything with a Turbo as they tend to set a chain of events of if they go wrong.

Japanese cars ridiculously reliable.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Login to get fewer ads

Good/Cheap car models please on 10:23 - Sep 1 with 984 viewsHerbivore

You genuinely can't go wrong with a Ford Fiesta, you should be able to get something around 8 years old at that price when they were particularly strong in their class. They're quite fun to drive and you can fit a surprising amount in the boot. Being a Ford they are easy and cheap to get fixed should anything go wrong. I've owned a couple and they've been very reliable.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Good/Cheap car models please on 12:28 - Sep 1 with 909 viewssolomon

Good/Cheap car models please on 10:23 - Sep 1 by Herbivore

You genuinely can't go wrong with a Ford Fiesta, you should be able to get something around 8 years old at that price when they were particularly strong in their class. They're quite fun to drive and you can fit a surprising amount in the boot. Being a Ford they are easy and cheap to get fixed should anything go wrong. I've owned a couple and they've been very reliable.

Agree with all of that, pound for pound there is little better.
Good/Cheap car models please on 12:49 - Sep 1 with 880 viewsSouperJim

As others have posted, Japanese generally tend to be more reliable (toyota, honda, mazda etc) but it's worth considering that the flip side to this being that parts are more expensive than general motors in many cases and in some cases significantly so (speaking as Honda owner recently quoted £1k+ for a new catalytic converter). When they do go wrong, you can be left struggling, particularly if the car itself is worth significantly less than the sum of it's parts.

Do your homework and buy something with a good reputation, but at the cheaper end of the spectrum I would say service history and condition are every bit as important as reliability of marque and/or model. Be picky, it's a buyers market at the moment.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Good/Cheap car models please on 12:52 - Sep 1 with 872 viewsclive_baker

Can't go wrong with something like this. Nice and reliable for those winter mornings...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202008232828091?radius=1500&onesearchad

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Good/Cheap car models please on 13:09 - Sep 1 with 843 viewsNewcyBlue

My used car buying guide that I have posted on other threads:

-Open the bonnet when you get there. Have a feel of the radiator hose. If it is hot they may have run the car up to cover up cold start problems, engine noises, etc
-Look for any oil on the engine block, pull the dipstick out and check the colour of the oil. Open the oil filler cap and see if there is any sludge / mayonnaise looking stuff. The mayonnaise stuff may just be condensation, or it may be something more sinister.
-When starting the car look for excessive exhaust fumes, different coloured smoke means different things.
-Bodywork, is it all the same colour. Does any of the paint look like orange peel? The orange peel effect is from a poor paintjob, and could be a sign of a previous accident.
-Are there any differing gaps between any of the panels? Does it look the same on both sides?
-Are the door and window seals in tact?
-Check to see all warning lights come on when turning the ignition on, ensure they extinguish upon starting the engine.
-Does the clutch feel ok? Is there any noise at any point of depressing the clutch pedal?
-When driving is there any excessive play in the steering? Do the brakes work adequately? Are there any unusual noises? Does the steering wobble at speed or under heavy braking? When braking does the car pull to one side?
-Check all equipment is working, lights, wipers, washers, ventilation, windows, mirrors, central locking.
-Check the wheels and tyres. Are locking wheel nuts fitted? If so is the locking wheel nut key with the car?. Check the tread on the tyres. Check the sidewall for bulges
-Paperwork, check service history. Anything 60k plus and you want to be checking if the cambelt has been changed. Check the V5C for spelling mistakes, does the address match the one of the seller. Is the seller the registered keeper? If not, why?

Remember the DVLA MOT Check website is worth a look too. At that sort of money you want to be getting It HPI checked etc.

Drive a couple of the same car (year, engine, spec, mileage). Does one feel noticeably different? That should raise questions.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Good/Cheap car models please on 13:19 - Sep 1 with 821 viewsNewcyBlue

Good/Cheap car models please on 10:15 - Sep 1 by hype313

Regarding your turbo point, yes and no. It all comes down to maintenance how it is driven. Ideally a car with a turbo will be left to idle after driving at high speeds. The turbo turns at massive RPM, and obviously is at a much higher temperature.

Allowing the car to idle will allow the turbo to cool down a little bit and it won’t be spinning.

Plus oil changes every 6 months.

This is what I do with both our cars. The Jag has an issue with oil dilution, all down to the DPF and how it regenerates. So changing oil every 6 months helps with that too. Luckily I have a pump and can suck the oil out of the top (which is how Jaguar also do it). It’s a 30 minute job with the filter too. For the sake of £70 every 6 months to have a car running in perfect condition, it’s a no brainer.

The Focus we have gets oil every 6 months and filters every year. That’s getting sold when I get home (after a service and MOT) and a family wagon will be bought. Can’t get all 3 kids seats in the XF.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Good/Cheap car models please on 13:43 - Sep 1 with 796 viewshampstead_blue

Subaru WRX Wagon.
We bought ours for just over £k and it's the best car I've ever had.
Go for a Prodrive version and buy on condition and service history.

If that's too spicy for you then something small and French. Nicole maybe.

Given the choice, I'm for a Scooby all day long.
Our's in grey with black wheels, leather, heated seats, leccy sunroof, gives you a proper hard-on when you start it.

It's bomb-proof.

I took it on a skip pan day the other week. Lots of sexy metal there but everyone loved the Scooby. The amount of cooing, it's was cool.

Don't be put off by the fuel consumption. The running costs are minimal so long as you change the oil and filter every 9 to 12 months. It does like a drink if you rag it on boost everywhere you go. Potter around and you will get good mpg.

I've had a scout around and can't find many for sale right now. Piston Heads or one of the FB groups are good to look.

You have a chance to have some fun, take it!

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024