Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lambert handling of Downes 10:46 - Sep 4 with 3494 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Read what Lambert had to say on Downes and these aren't the actions of a guy who doesn't care about his squad and doesn't communicate with them (as has been thrown at him). I also found it interesting listening to Teddy Bishop on all the work going in on new system and way of playing in training and him talking enthusiastically in training.

It's all very different to what is being levelled at Lambert in the forum to be perfectly honest. I dare say there are disgruntled voices in every squad in the country. Even in out local Sat and Sunday teams there are always the few moaning about game time etc.

I really do wonder if there is an overplay on the mood internally to be honest.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

You keep up that positivity Terry on 10:54 - Sep 4 with 3109 viewsunstableblue

... you are a lone voice currently!

I do fear that there is no smoke without fire and there are too many trusted sources on this board exposing some real issues.

Proof will be on the pitch.

To add to the Bishop comments Huws also came out with some positive feedback on the identity and system change underway, and its hoped for effectiveness.

A win over and a performance over Bristol Rovers, with what looks like a preferred selection (Downes aside) will silence many, and give the project some momentum. But perhaps unsustainable and too little too late.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

You keep up that positivity Terry on 10:59 - Sep 4 with 3086 viewsTerry_Nutkins

You keep up that positivity Terry on 10:54 - Sep 4 by unstableblue

I do fear that there is no smoke without fire and there are too many trusted sources on this board exposing some real issues.

To add to the Bishop comments Huws also came out with some positive feedback on the identity and system change underway, and its hoped for effectiveness.

A win over and a performance over Bristol Rovers, with what looks like a preferred selection (Downes aside) will silence many, and give the project some momentum. But perhaps unsustainable and too little too late.

Just to be clear i believe some of the stuff I.e. itfcjoe said some concerning stuff and believe he has some contacts. But I think some stuff is probably exagerated (as things are when you speak to mates etc) but also it's massively going to depend who talking to. The size of our squad guarantees some will be unhappy with their lot.

Lambert handling of Downes on 11:19 - Sep 4 with 3012 viewsDarth_Koont

I'd imagine the squad would be disgruntled anyway about where they are in September 2020.

Lambert bears responsibility for us still being in League One but irrespective of his relationship with them these are players that are seeing their future prospects narrowing due to Covid-19 and the League One wage cap.

I'd hope that the squad realises that they need to pull together collectively to improve the outlook. As there is currently only a handful of players like Downes, Woolfenden, Dobra perhaps whose futures could be better elsewhere.

Pronouns: He/Him

Lambert handling of Downes on 11:21 - Sep 4 with 2997 viewshaynes_toe1

I mean, there's no point reading much into what Lambert has said on Downes.

Entirely possible Flynn has told him "I'm not playing under you again, you're sh*t and I want to go to Palace". Publicising that wouldn't be any good for negotiations.
You keep up that positivity Terry on 11:26 - Sep 4 with 2942 viewsRozz

Can someone point me towards the things I've missed here? All I've read is speculation and conjecture and seem to have missed the key posts from those in the know.

I'm in the same camp as OP. I think there's a lot of wishful thinking involved here and we're all bored. I'm hopeful a couple of early wins in the season will put this all to bed.
Lambert handling of Downes on 11:36 - Sep 4 with 2905 viewsbluefunk

If Downes came to him and said he wasn’t in the right frame of mind to play then PL had no choice. Downes should be careful, which is what I think PL was indicating with his “no need to sell comments. - we could easily make Downes sit out his contract and collect a fee via tribunal which probably wouldn’t be significantly below the derisory Palace offer.

Let’s hope his new agent hasn’t told him to make himself difficult to force a move, I’ve a feeling ME isn’t going to be accommodating on this.
Lambert handling of Downes on 15:04 - Sep 4 with 2710 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Lambert handling of Downes on 11:36 - Sep 4 by bluefunk

If Downes came to him and said he wasn’t in the right frame of mind to play then PL had no choice. Downes should be careful, which is what I think PL was indicating with his “no need to sell comments. - we could easily make Downes sit out his contract and collect a fee via tribunal which probably wouldn’t be significantly below the derisory Palace offer.

Let’s hope his new agent hasn’t told him to make himself difficult to force a move, I’ve a feeling ME isn’t going to be accommodating on this.

True enough I supposed.

I was interested to hear Wards comments as well as he's been around. Seems really positive about the atmosphere around the place and he actually enthused about Lambert 'calibre if the manager' spoke to several of his ex players who all gave Lambert excellent reviews etc.

I think you make a good point about us all being bored. I think also there are going to be players in the camp who want to play more etc...but they need to get on with it and prove they can get in and stay in now. We know it won't be as much rotating this year. Prove you are 1st team regular

Ward also talked about the quality of training.

Obviously he's not going to come out and say bad stuff but he doesn't have to say everything he did say either.

I think there is always a balance. Let's have it right Lambert is under pressure.che's not this utter terrible manager he's made out to be or suddenly lost his man management (which throughout his career was a strength). It will help everyone to get right into this season start now.

Lambert handling of Downes on 15:08 - Sep 4 with 2699 viewsHerbivore

Lambert handling of Downes on 15:04 - Sep 4 by Terry_Nutkins

True enough I supposed.

I was interested to hear Wards comments as well as he's been around. Seems really positive about the atmosphere around the place and he actually enthused about Lambert 'calibre if the manager' spoke to several of his ex players who all gave Lambert excellent reviews etc.

I think you make a good point about us all being bored. I think also there are going to be players in the camp who want to play more etc...but they need to get on with it and prove they can get in and stay in now. We know it won't be as much rotating this year. Prove you are 1st team regular

Obviously he's not going to come out and say bad stuff but he doesn't have to say everything he did say either.

I think there is always a balance. Let's have it right Lambert is under pressure.che's not this utter terrible manager he's made out to be or suddenly lost his man management (which throughout his career was a strength). It will help everyone to get right into this season start now.

The words that come after "let's have it right" are, ironically, not right. He is a terrible manager and, by all accounts, a poor man manager.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Lambert handling of Downes on 17:26 - Sep 4 with 2603 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Lambert handling of Downes on 15:08 - Sep 4 by Herbivore

The words that come after "let's have it right" are, ironically, not right. He is a terrible manager and, by all accounts, a poor man manager.

He's not though is he. It's a silly thing to say.

He has to date not been a success at our football club. No need to hate the bloke and talk rubbish.

And the 'have it right' was about home being under pressure. He is. Because last season was not good enough.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2020 17:27]

Lambert handling of Downes on 17:36 - Sep 4 with 2570 viewsHerbivore

Lambert handling of Downes on 17:26 - Sep 4 by Terry_Nutkins

He's not though is he. It's a silly thing to say.

He has to date not been a success at our football club. No need to hate the bloke and talk rubbish.

And the 'have it right' was about home being under pressure. He is. Because last season was not good enough.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2020 17:27]

He is under pressure. He is also a terrible manager. That is not a silly thing to say, we have two years' worth of evidence that backs it up. You are in a shrinkingly tiny minority in thinking he's been anything other than an unmitigated disaster here.

Lambert handling of Downes on 18:21 - Sep 4 with 2501 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Lambert handling of Downes on 17:36 - Sep 4 by Herbivore

He is under pressure. He is also a terrible manager. That is not a silly thing to say, we have two years' worth of evidence that backs it up. You are in a shrinkingly tiny minority in thinking he's been anything other than an unmitigated disaster here.

No there are plenty of reasonable people who can see the difference between failing at a club and agreeing time to move on bit can also accept he's not a terrible manager having also done a good job elsewhere.

I'm never going to have a completely black or white view like you. I prefer to see bigger pictures and understand nuances in football etc. I prefer to look a context/data etc etc. But you can happily continue just saying duh terrible manager.

Lambert handling of Downes on 18:36 - Sep 4 with 2460 viewsHerbivore

Lambert handling of Downes on 18:21 - Sep 4 by Terry_Nutkins

No there are plenty of reasonable people who can see the difference between failing at a club and agreeing time to move on bit can also accept he's not a terrible manager having also done a good job elsewhere.

I'm never going to have a completely black or white view like you. I prefer to see bigger pictures and understand nuances in football etc. I prefer to look a context/data etc etc. But you can happily continue just saying duh terrible manager.

He did a good job at Norwich, average to poor everywhere else, unmitigated disaster here. Seems to be ever diminishing returns as his career has progressed. I think at this point judging him on his recent performance it is fair to say he is a terrible manager. I know he bought you a beer and said some nice things, but see what's in front of your eyes mate. He's hopeless.

Lambert handling of Downes on 18:38 - Sep 4 with 2453 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Lambert handling of Downes on 18:36 - Sep 4 by Herbivore

He did a good job at Norwich, average to poor everywhere else, unmitigated disaster here. Seems to be ever diminishing returns as his career has progressed. I think at this point judging him on his recent performance it is fair to say he is a terrible manager. I know he bought you a beer and said some nice things, but see what's in front of your eyes mate. He's hopeless.

Your posts bring diminishing returns of insightfulness.

Lambert handling of Downes on 18:45 - Sep 4 with 2442 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

Lambert handling of Downes on 18:45 - Sep 4 with 2437 viewsHerbivore

Lambert handling of Downes on 18:38 - Sep 4 by Terry_Nutkins

Your posts bring diminishing returns of insightfulness.

Thanks for making my irony meter explode again. Hopefully Argos is still open.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2020 18:52]

Lambert handling of Downes on 18:51 - Sep 4 with 2421 viewsArnieM

Downes action doesn’t surprise me at all. He doesn’t want to play for this Club again. So I say again. Drop him. And play the likes of Dobra.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Lambert handling of Downes on 18:52 - Sep 4 with 2417 viewsPassionNotAnger

Lambert handling of Downes on 15:04 - Sep 4 by Terry_Nutkins

True enough I supposed.

It is not true to say his man management was his strength throughout his career. There are numerous examples of this not being true at every one of his previous clubs (Albeit less frequent and obvious at Norwich for the obvious reason that their success glossed over anything else)
Lambert handling of Downes on 18:54 - Sep 4 with 2409 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

Lambert handling of Downes on 18:51 - Sep 4 by ArnieM

Downes action doesn’t surprise me at all. He doesn’t want to play for this Club again. So I say again. Drop him. And play the likes of Dobra.

Agree. He should never play for us again.
Lambert handling of Downes on 19:44 - Sep 4 with 2314 viewsthebooks

Well, I think Lambert should have been sacked at the end of last season as it's completely unacceptable we finished mid-table in L1.

I also feel he should have been under a lot more pressure towards the end of our relegation season, but the crowd lost the plot, which bought him time.

Having said that, he is getting pilloried whatever he does at the moment. That's because he's a dead man walking (quite rightly), but I think he's right about Woolfenden — whose form deteriorated as the season went on, and struck me as a bit complacent — and the Downes comments are kind of reasonable enough.

The problem is Marcus Evans giving him a 5 year contract and not pulling the trigger when he should have. It's absurd he's dictating formation, rotation strategy and playing “style”, but here we all are. It's a comlpete mess.
Lambert handling of Downes on 19:59 - Sep 4 with 2277 viewsChiefXL

Lambert handling of Downes on 15:08 - Sep 4 by Herbivore

Whose accounts?

I have seen no direct source for this to enable anyone to make such a definitive statement.

Plenty of third hand conjecture and speculation but where are 'all' of these accounts that prove your point to be correct?
Lambert handling of Downes on 20:25 - Sep 4 with 2211 viewsJ2BLUE

Lambert handling of Downes on 17:36 - Sep 4 by Herbivore

You are in a shrinkingly tiny minority in thinking he's been anything other than an unmitigated disaster here.

Agree but it's now clear he isn't going anywhere any time soon so time to support and hope he turns it around. Unlikely but it's what is required now.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

You keep up that positivity Terry on 20:41 - Sep 4 with 2167 viewsGaryCooper

'will silence many'

Nah, they live to whinge and moan.
Lambert handling of Downes on 22:26 - Sep 4 with 2062 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Lambert handling of Downes on 18:45 - Sep 4 by Herbivore

Thanks for making my irony meter explode again. Hopefully Argos is still open.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2020 18:52]

It was a superb comeback. I was chuffed with it. 😂

Lambert handling of Downes on 23:05 - Sep 4 with 2001 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

Lambert handling of Downes on 11:19 - Sep 4 by Darth_Koont

I'd imagine the squad would be disgruntled anyway about where they are in September 2020.

Lambert bears responsibility for us still being in League One but irrespective of his relationship with them these are players that are seeing their future prospects narrowing due to Covid-19 and the League One wage cap.

I'd hope that the squad realises that they need to pull together collectively to improve the outlook. As there is currently only a handful of players like Downes, Woolfenden, Dobra perhaps whose futures could be better elsewhere.

The players are p!ssed off because they weren't good enough to get promoted?

That's unique!
Lambert handling of Downes on 00:48 - Sep 5 with 1918 viewsHerbivore

Lambert handling of Downes on 19:59 - Sep 4 by ChiefXL

Whose accounts?

I have seen no direct source for this to enable anyone to make such a definitive statement.

Plenty of third hand conjecture and speculation but where are 'all' of these accounts that prove your point to be correct?

I'll make whatever statements I like, mate.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024