Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? 22:07 - Sep 5 with 5062 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Back in the fold or out in the cold?

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:10 - Sep 5 with 3086 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If he is fit and available he plays. If he is not available because his head is not right we wait until he is.

Clearly the lad is unsettled with all that is going on. Either Palace stump up a proper fee for him and he moves or they don't and he needs to keep showing here that he is worth the fee we are asking. I am sure he will do that if he stays. There is no question that currently Palace's valuation is an insult.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:12 - Sep 5 with 3064 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:10 - Sep 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

If he is fit and available he plays. If he is not available because his head is not right we wait until he is.

Clearly the lad is unsettled with all that is going on. Either Palace stump up a proper fee for him and he moves or they don't and he needs to keep showing here that he is worth the fee we are asking. I am sure he will do that if he stays. There is no question that currently Palace's valuation is an insult.

Couldn’t have put it any better.

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:12 - Sep 5 with 3075 viewstextbackup

paid by Ipswich town football club to play football, its his job. if he cant for fill that role because "his head isn't right" should forgo his wages here until the poor little sod feels ok to play, or gets his big move.

no time for s**t like that. Clubs a mess at times, and I moan like f**k, but not having s**t like that being pulled

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:13 - Sep 5 with 3059 viewsTerry_Nutkins

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:10 - Sep 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

Totally agree.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:16 - Sep 5 with 3036 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:19 - Sep 5 with 3016 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:12 - Sep 5 by textbackup

paid by Ipswich town football club to play football, its his job. if he cant for fill that role because "his head isn't right" should forgo his wages here until the poor little sod feels ok to play, or gets his big move.

no time for s**t like that. Clubs a mess at times, and I moan like f**k, but not having s**t like that being pulled

As long as it is “his heads not right”, I don’t have an issue with him taking the week off.

The cynical within thinks advisors are guiding him down a different path with different reasoning why he is asking not to play, forcing a move through to Palace by refusing to play etc.

I don’t want to him sour the admiration fans have built for him, he’s been a pleasure to watch, but if Palace are not willing to pay the corrective figure he does his job properly here, starting from Monday when he returns. Right now that figure been offered by Palace is insulting to us and Flynn.

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:19 - Sep 5 with 3010 viewsclive_baker

Think that's a little harsh to be fair. He's openly spoken in the past about struggling with the mental side of football and with anxiety, and if he needs a bit of time then I'm pleased to see the club are taking its responsibility towards him seriously.

As for the OP, if he's staying then he's one of the first names on the team sheet. A trio of Downes, Bishop and Dozzell would be very interesting for me. I just want to see energy and creativity in the middle. We were so pedestrian last season with the likes of Skuse & Huws in there looking like they were wearing lead boots and running through treacle.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:20 - Sep 5 with 2986 viewsBlueBadger

If the lad wants to go, let him go and good luck to him, he owes us nothing. If he can't go for whatever reason, he's our player and he plays, we cheer him on. Like the rest if our players.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:22 - Sep 5 with 2997 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:16 - Sep 5 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Really liked Mick Mills assessment on the matter. Maybe isn’t being advised rightly, if Palace do not meet the valuation then we don’t have any pressure to sell. Flynn will have to deal with that and carry himself professionally to continue to represent Ipswich Town until the right figure comes in.

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:25 - Sep 5 with 2970 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:20 - Sep 5 by BlueBadger

If the lad wants to go, let him go and good luck to him, he owes us nothing. If he can't go for whatever reason, he's our player and he plays, we cheer him on. Like the rest if our players.

Let him go on the cheap? The valuation is currently insulting.

We don’t produce academy talents to just flog them as if it’s a fire sale.

If the right figure comes in, absolutely I would hold no grudges for him leaving, but we need to make sure that we get our fair slice of the cake on the deal.

And when the deal is right for both parties, then he goes with the best wishes.

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:27 - Sep 5 with 2958 viewstextbackup

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:19 - Sep 5 by TheTrueBlue1878

As long as it is “his heads not right”, I don’t have an issue with him taking the week off.

The cynical within thinks advisors are guiding him down a different path with different reasoning why he is asking not to play, forcing a move through to Palace by refusing to play etc.

I don’t want to him sour the admiration fans have built for him, he’s been a pleasure to watch, but if Palace are not willing to pay the corrective figure he does his job properly here, starting from Monday when he returns. Right now that figure been offered by Palace is insulting to us and Flynn.

must be terrible to having to pick yourself up from the depths of depression and suffering to playing for the club that pay you, and have looked after you since the age of 9....

hopefully he gets this move and increases his wage by 5, 10 times to settle his nerves

FWIW I think hes a terrific player and its been a joy to watch him, but to have a player use the head not right thing has never, and will never sit right with me. Bart when his father died is a totally different situation, and fully support that. btw

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:28 - Sep 5 with 2945 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:19 - Sep 5 by clive_baker

Think that's a little harsh to be fair. He's openly spoken in the past about struggling with the mental side of football and with anxiety, and if he needs a bit of time then I'm pleased to see the club are taking its responsibility towards him seriously.

As for the OP, if he's staying then he's one of the first names on the team sheet. A trio of Downes, Bishop and Dozzell would be very interesting for me. I just want to see energy and creativity in the middle. We were so pedestrian last season with the likes of Skuse & Huws in there looking like they were wearing lead boots and running through treacle.

I think it’s a valid point about Flynn’s openness regarding mental side of things, and if that’s correct the club is doing the right thing for his welfare and have no qualms with that. I would have qualms however if his advisors are guiding him on how to “force through a deal” by withdrawing from matches - truth be told, we don’t know the truth, we aren’t in the loop and must take from Lambert that it is just time off to clear his head.

If he comes back ready, Bishop, Downes, Dozzell is a tantalising prospect, really exciting, a little bit of everything in there, almost the perfect blend for a midfield 3.

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:30 - Sep 5 with 2931 viewstextbackup

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:28 - Sep 5 by TheTrueBlue1878

I think it’s a valid point about Flynn’s openness regarding mental side of things, and if that’s correct the club is doing the right thing for his welfare and have no qualms with that. I would have qualms however if his advisors are guiding him on how to “force through a deal” by withdrawing from matches - truth be told, we don’t know the truth, we aren’t in the loop and must take from Lambert that it is just time off to clear his head.

If he comes back ready, Bishop, Downes, Dozzell is a tantalising prospect, really exciting, a little bit of everything in there, almost the perfect blend for a midfield 3.

"if his advisors are guiding him on how to “force through a deal” by withdrawing from matches"

we are talking football agents here..... surely nobody can be so naive to think this isn't the case? just signed for this guy, he's making a quick few quid, and making his new client richer in the process.

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:31 - Sep 5 with 2927 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:27 - Sep 5 by textbackup

must be terrible to having to pick yourself up from the depths of depression and suffering to playing for the club that pay you, and have looked after you since the age of 9....

hopefully he gets this move and increases his wage by 5, 10 times to settle his nerves

FWIW I think hes a terrific player and its been a joy to watch him, but to have a player use the head not right thing has never, and will never sit right with me. Bart when his father died is a totally different situation, and fully support that. btw

No no that’s not fair, money has no correlation to the state of someone’s mental health.

In regards to looking after him since he was 9, correct, and we brought him in to the first, provided that long term deal, so we have to make sure we get our fair slice of the cake in the deal, and Flynn needs to understand and respect that as well.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2020 22:32]

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:33 - Sep 5 with 2919 viewsJ2BLUE

No issue with him missing the two cup games. I strongly suspect his new agent is pushing him and his other clients to move just in case the football bubble bursts. I'm sure he's been fed stories about second waves and money drying up etc. I don't have an issue with him. If you look at it from his point of view it makes perfect sense to leave for a Premier League club. I suspect he will be signed and loaned to a Championship club within 48 hours of signing.

I do have an issue with Palace though. They obviously know the fee. For the sake of a million or so they are going to let this drag on and bully us into letting him go on the cheap. I would love Evans to stand up to them and contact them Monday and tell them there are 28 days of the window left. If you want him you have 8 days to buy him for £xm up front in cash. Every day it goes beyond this the fee goes up £50,000 because we are not going to be bullied by his agent and Palace and see him leave for £2m on deadline day.

Yes I know we are league one. Yes I know they have money. So what? That proposal is perfectly fair. We can't replace him thanks to the wage cap and our chances of going up take a massive dent so why not do it? Tell Downes the situation and that they have 8 days to get the deal done at that price. It's then on Palace.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:34 - Sep 5 with 2899 viewsclive_baker

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:28 - Sep 5 by TheTrueBlue1878

Agree, really is a bit of everything in terms of energy, bite, protection and ball playing in FD, creative play maker and vision, picking the ball up off the back 4 and getting us playing in AD and the energy, trickery and ability to open up defences and beat a man in TB. They can interchange, they're young, all academy graduates and they know each others games very well indeed. That's a mouthwatering trio in the middle. Hopefully we get a chance to see it consistently for a run of games and see them click.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:34 - Sep 5 with 2905 viewstextbackup

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:31 - Sep 5 by TheTrueBlue1878

No no that’s not fair, money has no correlation to the state of someone’s mental health.

In regards to looking after him since he was 9, correct, and we brought him in to the first, provided that long term deal, so we have to make sure we get our fair slice of the cake in the deal, and Flynn needs to understand and respect that as well.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2020 22:32]

mental health ffs. we are talking about moving football clubs here. not a fcking long life threatening illness.

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:37 - Sep 5 with 2888 viewstextbackup

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:33 - Sep 5 by J2BLUE

No issue with him missing the two cup games. I strongly suspect his new agent is pushing him and his other clients to move just in case the football bubble bursts. I'm sure he's been fed stories about second waves and money drying up etc. I don't have an issue with him. If you look at it from his point of view it makes perfect sense to leave for a Premier League club. I suspect he will be signed and loaned to a Championship club within 48 hours of signing.

I do have an issue with Palace though. They obviously know the fee. For the sake of a million or so they are going to let this drag on and bully us into letting him go on the cheap. I would love Evans to stand up to them and contact them Monday and tell them there are 28 days of the window left. If you want him you have 8 days to buy him for £xm up front in cash. Every day it goes beyond this the fee goes up £50,000 because we are not going to be bullied by his agent and Palace and see him leave for £2m on deadline day.

Yes I know we are league one. Yes I know they have money. So what? That proposal is perfectly fair. We can't replace him thanks to the wage cap and our chances of going up take a massive dent so why not do it? Tell Downes the situation and that they have 8 days to get the deal done at that price. It's then on Palace.

exactly, we aren't a charity. no point bringing lads from a young age to see them chuck a wobbly and force a move for peanuts

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:39 - Sep 5 with 2866 viewsNthsuffolkblue

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:34 - Sep 5 by textbackup

mental health ffs. we are talking about moving football clubs here. not a fcking long life threatening illness.

Careers and work pressures generally impact heavily on mental health. To suggest otherwise suggests you are not fit to comment on mental health issues.

At the end of the day, the transfer window means the situation will be resolved one way or another before too long. I hope whatever way that is, ends up in the long term best interests of ITFC and of Flynn Downes.

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:41 - Sep 5 with 2847 viewsNthsuffolkblue

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:37 - Sep 5 by textbackup

exactly, we aren't a charity. no point bringing lads from a young age to see them chuck a wobbly and force a move for peanuts

That is assuming that is what he is doing.

I don't think him refusing to play (I am not even sure that's what's happening), would force us to accept a fee that is half or even less of his valuation. His agent and he must recognise that too.

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:42 - Sep 5 with 2847 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:33 - Sep 5 by J2BLUE

We won’t be bullied in this deal. We maybe League 1, but we are fortunate that our owner is incredibly deep pockets. We are under no pressure to sell, in essence Flynn’s deal is until the summer of 2023.

If Palace have any serious consideration for him, they know our valuation figure, and they wouldn’t be coming in with a second bid of just £1.6m.

I also suspect Palace won’t mind walking away from the deal, they see him more of punt than an necessity.

Given the disparity In valuations right now I think Flynn will be here beyond the window. I have to say in this particular case I think our valuation is possibly a little keen with £8m, but I’m sure we’d settle on the £5m mark, where as Palaces valuation is just insulting right now.

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:42 - Sep 5 with 2841 viewsJ2BLUE

I'll be less impressed If if he's still here next Sunday but doesn't want to play. To be fair to him there's no suggestion that's the case. If they haven't come back with a third bid by then it's not Town's fault.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:44 - Sep 5 with 2838 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

No one has suggested we are a charity, and Flynn won’t be leaving until the valuation meets our standards, we are under no pressure to sell what so ever, no one has suggested we should let him go for peanuts.

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:45 - Sep 5 with 2824 viewstextbackup

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:39 - Sep 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

Careers and work pressures generally impact heavily on mental health. To suggest otherwise suggests you are not fit to comment on mental health issues.

At the end of the day, the transfer window means the situation will be resolved one way or another before too long. I hope whatever way that is, ends up in the long term best interests of ITFC and of Flynn Downes.

ah right so because I don't agree with it im not fit to comment? strange stance to take.

career pressure, work pressure..... you regard this to be a pressure do you? seriously....
Hes a young single lad, no kids to consider, just him.

we all know how this ends, our club gets shafted, and wont get the money we deserve. and many soft touch fans will be ok with this because Flynn got the move and his mental health is now at ease.

What’s the general standpoint on Downes here? on 22:46 - Sep 5 with 2820 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Totally get the frustrations but I'm think I'm right in saying he has had a few issues mentally before (mental health). I think he's both a tough boy but also a bit emotionally sensitive at times. I think football means a lot to him and he takes it seriously and it can get in his head.

Mick talked about it and so did he and they made that decision to send him out to Luton and out of the spotlight a little bit also he was beating himself up at the time.

I get what you are saying I really do but at the same time he's a young boy and a human being and I think the right thing is being done here. If Flynn stays he will be giving everything for the club until he does go in the end. Think that is how he is wired.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024