Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ronaldo 19:38 - Sep 8 with 6259 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

On the verge of 100 international goals.

If he scores tonight he will become the first European player to achieve this.

What a player.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Ronaldo on 19:45 - Sep 8 with 4041 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Ronaldo on 19:49 - Sep 8 with 4031 viewsHerbivore

Second best of his generation. Very unfortunate to be around at the same time as Messi.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Ronaldo on 19:55 - Sep 8 with 4009 viewsWD19

Ronaldo on 19:49 - Sep 8 by Herbivore

Second best of his generation. Very unfortunate to be around at the same time as Messi.

Pah. Messi is just a poor mans Micky Stockwell.
Ronaldo on 19:56 - Sep 8 with 4009 viewsvapour_trail

Ronaldo on 19:45 - Sep 8 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Pointless discussion.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Ronaldo on 20:00 - Sep 8 with 3991 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Swings and roundabouts.

I'm a big fan of both.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Ronaldo on 20:03 - Sep 8 with 3973 viewsHerbivore

Ronaldo on 20:00 - Sep 8 by Marshalls_Mullet

Swings and roundabouts.

I'm a big fan of both.

Fair dos. Actually thinking about it I don't think it is unfortunate that he's been around at the same time as Messi. Being around at the same time as Messi has pushed him to better himself and be better than he might otherwise have been. Some players need that. If he was the best, he might not have pushed as hard.

Ronaldo on 20:15 - Sep 8 with 3946 viewsAce_High1

Ronaldo on 20:03 - Sep 8 by Herbivore

Fair dos. Actually thinking about it I don't think it is unfortunate that he's been around at the same time as Messi. Being around at the same time as Messi has pushed him to better himself and be better than he might otherwise have been. Some players need that. If he was the best, he might not have pushed as hard.

Both great players, Ronaldo gets extra credit for moving to different clubs in different (top) leagues and still ripping it up.
Ronaldo on 20:21 - Sep 8 with 3922 viewsHerbivore

Ronaldo on 20:15 - Sep 8 by Ace_High1

Both great players, Ronaldo gets extra credit for moving to different clubs in different (top) leagues and still ripping it up.

I don't think that really matters all that much. Messi started off at one of the biggest clubs in the world so the incentive to move has never really been there. If you're comparing them as footballers, their goalscoring records are comparable but Messi also offers so much more. The number of assists he's managed compared to CR7, there's just no comparison. As he gets older Messi will move deeper and still be one of the best players in the world as a playmaker. CR7 doesn't have the ability to do that. I get why people who love English football favour CR7, but I just don't see it.

Login to get fewer ads

Ronaldo on 20:29 - Sep 8 with 3894 viewsAce_High1

Ronaldo on 20:21 - Sep 8 by Herbivore

I don't think that really matters all that much. Messi started off at one of the biggest clubs in the world so the incentive to move has never really been there. If you're comparing them as footballers, their goalscoring records are comparable but Messi also offers so much more. The number of assists he's managed compared to CR7, there's just no comparison. As he gets older Messi will move deeper and still be one of the best players in the world as a playmaker. CR7 doesn't have the ability to do that. I get why people who love English football favour CR7, but I just don't see it.

I rate both highly, not saying one is better than the other.

But I think in all sports it shows something if you are willing to move and still perform to an unbelievable level in a different environment/country/team etc rather than just in one place where the whole set up evolves around you.
Ronaldo on 20:30 - Sep 8 with 3886 viewsHerbivore

Ronaldo on 20:29 - Sep 8 by Ace_High1

But I think in all sports it shows something if you are willing to move and still perform to an unbelievable level in a different environment/country/team etc rather than just in one place where the whole set up evolves around you.

Yeah, agree to disagree.

Ronaldo on 20:36 - Sep 8 with 3865 viewsSitfcB

Ronaldo >>>>>>>> Messi

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Ronaldo on 20:38 - Sep 8 with 3858 viewsvapour_trail

He also has in his favour over Messi the impact he has made at international level, in I’d argue significantly inferior teams.

There’s number 100 anyway. Unbelievable achievement.

Ronaldo on 20:47 - Sep 8 with 3831 viewsHerbivore

Ronaldo on 20:36 - Sep 8 by SitfcB

Ronaldo >>>>>>>> Messi

Ronaldo on 21:07 - Sep 8 with 3792 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Ronaldo on 19:56 - Sep 8 by vapour_trail

Pointless discussion.

Messi is considerably better. Shouldn’t even be a debate

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Ronaldo on 21:11 - Sep 8 with 3780 viewsvapour_trail

Ronaldo on 21:07 - Sep 8 by TRUE_BLUE123

You can take a view on the best player of a generation.

Calling him the GOAT is a nonsense discussion.

Ronaldo on 21:12 - Sep 8 with 3777 viewsHerbivore

Ronaldo on 21:11 - Sep 8 by vapour_trail

You can take a view on the best player of a generation.

Calling him the GOAT is a nonsense discussion.

Hard to compare eras?

Ronaldo on 21:21 - Sep 8 with 3748 viewsThe_Last_Baron

I'd take him over Messi. Ronaldo has the international honours, Messi has nothing with a much larger and historically more successful nation.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Ronaldo on 21:29 - Sep 8 with 3730 viewsJ2BLUE

Messi was willing to move and test himself in the Premier League. As Herbivore says he's had no incentive to move until now and his list of honours proves he was right to stay.

I love Ronaldo too.

I don't care who's better. In 3-4 years when they are both retired we'll be talking about Mbappe as the new #1 IMO.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Ronaldo on 21:35 - Sep 8 with 3716 viewsHerbivore

Ronaldo on 21:21 - Sep 8 by The_Last_Baron

I'd take him over Messi. Ronaldo has the international honours, Messi has nothing with a much larger and historically more successful nation.

I think if you're boiling their careers down to Ronaldo's teammates winning a Euro final without him even being on the pitch for most of the game against Messi's team being unable to convert in the three or four finals they've made that's rather shaky ground.

For all the talk of CR7 being massively better at international level, their individual records in major tournaments are pretty comparable. At World Cups, Messi has 6 goals and 5 assists against 7 goals and 2 assists for Ronaldo. Both have 9 goals in Euros/Copa America, Messi with more assists.

It's also important to bear in mind that Portugal have set up to get the best out of Ronaldo as their focal point for more than a decade, that hasn't been the case with Argentina and Messi. He's played all over the place for them, often much deeper than he plays at Barca, mainly because Argentina have had some good forward players but been pretty mediocre in other areas.

If you're looking purely at stats, over their careers Messi has a superior goals to games ratio despite not being an out and out number 9 like Ronaldo has been for most of his career. Messi has significantly more assists, by quote a margin, to go with it. But I prefer not to base it on stats and to look at how they play and when you watch them for me it's clear that Messi is the superior footballer.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2020 21:37]

Ronaldo on 21:35 - Sep 8 with 3715 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Ronaldo on 21:07 - Sep 8 by TRUE_BLUE123

Idk. In terms of consistency and dominance in his era. The numbers he has put up (Ronaldo as well) against the very best, is seemingly unrivalled ?

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Ronaldo on 21:37 - Sep 8 with 3705 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Ronaldo on 21:29 - Sep 8 by J2BLUE

Messi was willing to move and test himself in the Premier League. As Herbivore says he's had no incentive to move until now and his list of honours proves he was right to stay.

I love Ronaldo too.

I don't care who's better. In 3-4 years when they are both retired we'll be talking about Mbappe as the new #1 IMO.

I reckon Erling Halland will take over as the greatest in the world. He is an incredible footballer.

Ronaldo on 21:38 - Sep 8 with 3701 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Ronaldo on 21:35 - Sep 8 by Herbivore

I think if you're boiling their careers down to Ronaldo's teammates winning a Euro final without him even being on the pitch for most of the game against Messi's team being unable to convert in the three or four finals they've made that's rather shaky ground.

For all the talk of CR7 being massively better at international level, their individual records in major tournaments are pretty comparable. At World Cups, Messi has 6 goals and 5 assists against 7 goals and 2 assists for Ronaldo. Both have 9 goals in Euros/Copa America, Messi with more assists.

It's also important to bear in mind that Portugal have set up to get the best out of Ronaldo as their focal point for more than a decade, that hasn't been the case with Argentina and Messi. He's played all over the place for them, often much deeper than he plays at Barca, mainly because Argentina have had some good forward players but been pretty mediocre in other areas.

If you're looking purely at stats, over their careers Messi has a superior goals to games ratio despite not being an out and out number 9 like Ronaldo has been for most of his career. Messi has significantly more assists, by quote a margin, to go with it. But I prefer not to base it on stats and to look at how they play and when you watch them for me it's clear that Messi is the superior footballer.

Ronaldo's cheerleading from the sidelines was vital.

He also got them to the final.

Ronaldo on 21:40 - Sep 8 with 3694 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Ronaldo on 21:35 - Sep 8 by Herbivore

He is a better dribbler, not as good in the air as Ronaldo. Both are incredible.

Ronaldo on 21:43 - Sep 8 with 3683 viewsvapour_trail

Ronaldo on 21:12 - Sep 8 by Herbivore

Hard to compare eras?

Impossible.

How do you take a view on the relative merits of Leo Messi, Ferenc Puskas, Poul Nielsen.

Ronaldo on 21:49 - Sep 8 with 3665 viewsHerbivore

Ronaldo on 21:43 - Sep 8 by vapour_trail

Impossible.

How do you take a view on the relative merits of Leo Messi, Ferenc Puskas, Poul Nielsen.

I'd throw Micky Stockwell into the mix as well.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024