Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lowestoft advice please 11:52 - Sep 9 with 3347 viewsloftboy

Just spent the weekend house hunting along the coast from a sister down to Lowestoft, found a lovely house which is less than a ten minute walk to Claremont Pier ,all looks lovely, quaint high street with lots of i depends shops, work isn’t a problem as I can transfer and my Mrs WFH.
Biggest question I have is my Mrs is half Indian and currently living in Plaistow which is very diverse and multi cultural she was a bit worried about how she would be received there as in her words “it’s very white”
Thanks in advance.
Lowestoft advice please on 19:07 - Sep 9 with 2852 viewsloftboy

“ Bump” anyone ?
Lowestoft advice please on 19:15 - Sep 9 with 2829 viewsNewcyBlue

Lowestoft advice please on 19:07 - Sep 9 by loftboy

“ Bump” anyone ?

I can’t answer your question about that specific area.

Whatever you decide I wish you both luck and happiness.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Lowestoft advice please on 19:17 - Sep 9 with 2825 viewsjeera

Footers is the board authority on that neck of the woods.

Sign the petition for his return and he'll put you right, no worries.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Lowestoft advice please on 20:24 - Sep 9 with 2744 viewsclive_baker

Sad that it need be a consideration in 2020.

My advice would be if you like the place, move there. If anyone has a problem it’s theirs, not yours. Feck them, don’t put yourself out for the sake of a bigot.

I don’t know the area well at all, but I would like to think you wouldn’t have any issues.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2020 20:26]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Lowestoft advice please on 20:36 - Sep 9 with 2720 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Can't be very specific but I think even in a much more multi-cultural area racism can be an issue. It depends very much who you happen to encounter.

I do know people from ethnic minorities that live in very white dominated areas not too far from Lowestoft and they have not encountered major problems. I hope this helps allay your fears. Lowestoft and especially the area around Claremont Pier does have a lot of deprivation and all the problems that poverty brings.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Lowestoft advice please on 20:46 - Sep 9 with 2691 viewsGerkensBeard

I’m from Lowestoft. In recent times the town has become more diverse. I don’t think it’d be a problem at all. The “too white” areas are more out in the countryside. I don’t think you have anything to worry about
Lowestoft advice please on 21:45 - Sep 9 with 2572 viewsMeadowlark

I live in Lowestoft and must admit it is very white compared to Plaistow! I'd welcome you both, as I'm sure most would, but we do have our share of idiots here, just like Plaistow or anywhere else does, and Lowestoft is certainly not as ethnically diverse. But generally, people are friendly and accepting.

A ten-minute walk to the Claremont implies south of the bridge, Kirkley area. Is this where you will be working too? I only ask as living on the opposite side of the bridge from where you have to work can add a huge delay to your journey time. Another crossing is apparently about to be constructed to ease the congestion, but that won't be open for at least 3-4 years.
Lowestoft advice please on 21:47 - Sep 9 with 2564 viewsBaltachaFanClub

I spend a fair amount of time in the lowestoft area, my partner works there and many of her friends live there, in fact we even considered a move to the town (or more accurately, Kirkley) it’s very much a town of two halves.
Parts of lowestoft are considered rough, and not so desirable, whereas other parts are quite nice.
It’s not a 50/50 split, although the locals talk of various estates and the bridge as a boundary. As a place it is on its knees a bit, and I couldn’t offer definite facts toward its affluence, however, I have never known of cultural issues, if you consider the town has no particular identity, as it is largely made of incomers for work etc in the 70s and onward, there is a diverse mix of people.

Ironically, your concerns for cultural boundaries are more likely in the smaller, neighbouring communities, or north of the border, where Great Yarmouth has developed a strong Eastern European community, which is a remarkably friendly community, but can be taken as closed off.

I hope this helps

this is not a football forum, its a forum for people who occasionally mention football. Current cheese mood - Blacksticks Blue
Poll: What happens more in the average week ?
Blog: It's Not R*********, It's the Promise of an Adventure

Login to get fewer ads

Lowestoft advice please on 21:51 - Sep 9 with 2557 viewsCrow77

Live a few miles from lowestoft and my in-laws live there we are both white so can't comment what it's like but I have never encountered or seen any problems of a racest sort. The town is like many others it has it low life's that course trouble but i have always found more good than bad there
Lowestoft advice please on 22:41 - Sep 9 with 2497 viewsloftboy

Lowestoft advice please on 21:51 - Sep 9 by Crow77

Live a few miles from lowestoft and my in-laws live there we are both white so can't comment what it's like but I have never encountered or seen any problems of a racest sort. The town is like many others it has it low life's that course trouble but i have always found more good than bad there

Thanks everyone,offer accepted, just waiting for a mortgage offer to come through.
Lowestoft advice please on 23:00 - Sep 9 with 2470 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Lowestoft advice please on 21:45 - Sep 9 by Meadowlark

I live in Lowestoft and must admit it is very white compared to Plaistow! I'd welcome you both, as I'm sure most would, but we do have our share of idiots here, just like Plaistow or anywhere else does, and Lowestoft is certainly not as ethnically diverse. But generally, people are friendly and accepting.

A ten-minute walk to the Claremont implies south of the bridge, Kirkley area. Is this where you will be working too? I only ask as living on the opposite side of the bridge from where you have to work can add a huge delay to your journey time. Another crossing is apparently about to be constructed to ease the congestion, but that won't be open for at least 3-4 years.

Another crossing has been due to be built for around 40 years. It has been the promise of a succession of MPs to get it done and has always been around 3-4 years away.

It will eventually get finished but probably around the time the Bascule Bridge is no longer working and so the third crossing actually becomes nothing more than a replacement second one.

Some people have worked very hard to try to revitalise Lowestoft and I admire them for it but they have not been helped by the people in power. EU funding, although very welcome, has not been enough.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Lowestoft advice please on 00:24 - Sep 10 with 2425 viewsbournemouthblue

My girlfriend lives in Lowestoft and it always seems fine to me. I know she isn't overly impressed with the housing stock in Ipswich. I'd imagine you probably get a bit more for your cash up there?

The people seem to be friendly and no nonsense. I think it has got quite a lot of potential, which could certainly be unlocked.

It's a lovely place to be when the sun is out.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Lowestoft advice please on 07:56 - Sep 10 with 2269 viewsStuartBrett8

I'm in Kirkley, it's the best part of Lowestoft :)

Stop the world, I want to get off
Poll: What should we do with Frank Nouble?

Lowestoft advice please on 23:31 - Jul 18 with 1687 viewsloftboy

Lowestoft advice please on 07:56 - Sep 10 by StuartBrett8

I'm in Kirkley, it's the best part of Lowestoft :)

Moved here in May, house move took a lot longer than anticipated, settles in to my new job and love being close ego the beach. However mrs was in the garden today, two lads walked past one said to the other one, “ I need to go to the paki shop “. Really upset her as she hadn’t heard this for many a year, hopefully a minority but some people definitely need educating.
[Redacted] on 07:34 - Jul 19 with 1561 viewsvictorywilhappen

Lowestoft advice please on 23:31 - Jul 18 by loftboy

Moved here in May, house move took a lot longer than anticipated, settles in to my new job and love being close ego the beach. However mrs was in the garden today, two lads walked past one said to the other one, “ I need to go to the paki shop “. Really upset her as she hadn’t heard this for many a year, hopefully a minority but some people definitely need educating.

[Redacted]
Lowestoft advice please on 08:03 - Jul 19 with 1518 viewsbluelagos

I hear it far more than I would like to. Rural areas are far less diverse than cities and many hold views and/or use terms that you don't expect to hear or like.

I tend to think of some people I know much like a racist grandparent, from a different place than me. Have also used the silent treatment to good effect a few times. Two mates got into a "It's good all the Europeans are leaving..." chat and I literally said nothing. Kept silent and I think my disdain was clear.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Lowestoft advice please on 09:05 - Jul 19 with 1441 viewsSalyidyce

Lowestoft advice please on 08:03 - Jul 19 by bluelagos

I hear it far more than I would like to. Rural areas are far less diverse than cities and many hold views and/or use terms that you don't expect to hear or like.

I tend to think of some people I know much like a racist grandparent, from a different place than me. Have also used the silent treatment to good effect a few times. Two mates got into a "It's good all the Europeans are leaving..." chat and I literally said nothing. Kept silent and I think my disdain was clear.

The only part of the South Side to stay away from is London Road South from the Drifter down to the Bridge, especially near KFC. Other than that you will be fine :)
The South side of the town probably is a bit more open spaced than the North Side of the town and the Sea Front is definitely better on the South Side.
Lowestoft advice please on 09:19 - Jul 19 with 1419 viewsloftboy

Lowestoft advice please on 09:05 - Jul 19 by Salyidyce

The only part of the South Side to stay away from is London Road South from the Drifter down to the Bridge, especially near KFC. Other than that you will be fine :)
The South side of the town probably is a bit more open spaced than the North Side of the town and the Sea Front is definitely better on the South Side.

That’s literally where I am, behind the Royal Oak near the medical centre!
Lowestoft advice please on 09:37 - Jul 19 with 1390 viewsStuartBrett8

Lowestoft advice please on 09:05 - Jul 19 by Salyidyce

That's where I am too, the reputation of the area is very different to actually living here :)

Stop the world, I want to get off
Poll: What should we do with Frank Nouble?

Lowestoft advice please on 09:41 - Jul 19 with 1366 viewshype313

Unfortunately this isn't unique to Lowestoft as we have seen recently with the 3 England lads.

Shame to hear such abhorrent outdated views, but all we can do in time is to try our best to help and educate people.

Frustratingly, it's taking far longer than it should.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Lowestoft advice please on 09:44 - Jul 19 with 1357 viewsunstableblue

So sorry to hear that... it is a minority, and I hope the good people of Lowestoft have been welcoming to you and your wife.

It just emphasises again for me why the stance of the England players, and that taking the knee remained important. And for government ministers, and scum like Farage to belittle it so publicly, remains outrageous.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Lowestoft advice please on 11:55 - Jul 19 with 1244 viewsloftboy

Lowestoft advice please on 09:44 - Jul 19 by unstableblue

So sorry to hear that... it is a minority, and I hope the good people of Lowestoft have been welcoming to you and your wife.

It just emphasises again for me why the stance of the England players, and that taking the knee remained important. And for government ministers, and scum like Farage to belittle it so publicly, remains outrageous.

Yep love living here, pace of life suits me down to a tee.
Lowestoft advice please on 18:18 - Jul 21 with 1038 viewsMeadowlark

Lowestoft advice please on 11:55 - Jul 19 by loftboy

Yep love living here, pace of life suits me down to a tee.

Welcome to Lowestoft!

(We're the North side over here...)

The North beach is actually a very nice beach too. Not as commercial or as busy as the South beach but well worth a stroll.
Lowestoft advice please on 18:24 - Jul 21 with 1019 viewsSalyidyce

Lowestoft advice please on 21:47 - Sep 9 by BaltachaFanClub

I spend a fair amount of time in the lowestoft area, my partner works there and many of her friends live there, in fact we even considered a move to the town (or more accurately, Kirkley) it’s very much a town of two halves.
Parts of lowestoft are considered rough, and not so desirable, whereas other parts are quite nice.
It’s not a 50/50 split, although the locals talk of various estates and the bridge as a boundary. As a place it is on its knees a bit, and I couldn’t offer definite facts toward its affluence, however, I have never known of cultural issues, if you consider the town has no particular identity, as it is largely made of incomers for work etc in the 70s and onward, there is a diverse mix of people.

Ironically, your concerns for cultural boundaries are more likely in the smaller, neighbouring communities, or north of the border, where Great Yarmouth has developed a strong Eastern European community, which is a remarkably friendly community, but can be taken as closed off.

I hope this helps

Lol were the south side we're the south side - TBH i was born at Gunton St Peters on the North Side but been living on the south side for about 9 years. Despite some of the negative comments Lowestoft is a lovely place to live :)
Lowestoft advice please on 18:24 - Jul 21 with 1020 viewsSalyidyce

Lowestoft advice please on 21:47 - Sep 9 by BaltachaFanClub

I hope this helps

Lol were the south side we're the south side - TBH i was born at Gunton St Peters on the North Side but been living on the south side for about 9 years. Despite some of the negative comments Lowestoft is a lovely place to live .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024