Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Serial Killer Books - worth reading 04:49 - Sep 16 with 2447 viewsstiff_talking

Here are my favorites so far ;

I’ll be gone in the dark - Michelle McNamara (sadly Michelle died before completion of this fine novel. But this book led to capture of the Golden State killer and A US series is in the works)

The Stranger Beside Me - Ann Rule (classic story written by Ted Bundy personal friend)

Zodiac - Robert Graysmith - deep analysis into fascinating unsolved case.

Helter Skelter - Vincent Bugliosi - Outstanding book on Manson Murders

One Of Our Own - Carol Ann Lee - the life and death of Myra Hindley that reveal shocking parts of the case hidden from most media reports.

Evil Relations - David Smith ( not as good as One Of Our Own but essential)

Wicked Beyond Belief - Michael Bolton ( Sutcliffe Murder investigation) essential !

If anyone has any other recommendations as good as above please let me know !
Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 06:23 - Sep 16 with 2025 viewsstiff_talking

Also worth reading

Chappaquiddick - Leo Damore

The Murder of Marilyn Monroe - Jay Margolis and Richard Buskin
Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 07:05 - Sep 16 with 1988 viewsChrisd

Very dark, but interesting, stuff Stiff Talking, you must have ice running through those veins of yours.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 07:32 - Sep 16 with 1968 viewsChiefXL

They All Love Jack by Bruce Robinson (writer of Withnail and I) is an interesting read.

Completely irrelevant fact to your serious post but Michelle McNamara was married to the rather brilliant Patton Oswalt
Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 07:54 - Sep 16 with 1948 viewsBloomBlue

There was a great book called ' The Killer Book of Serial Killers' not sure if that's still available
Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 08:03 - Sep 16 with 1931 viewsPJH

I have approx 60 books relating to Jack The Ripper with another one due to arrive any day now.

If anyone has an interest in the subject I can list a few of those that I consider to be the most worthwhile.
Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 08:06 - Sep 16 with 1925 viewsPJH

Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 06:23 - Sep 16 by stiff_talking

Also worth reading

Chappaquiddick - Leo Damore

The Murder of Marilyn Monroe - Jay Margolis and Richard Buskin

I have eight books relating to Marilyn Monroe with most of them specifically about her death, including the one that you mention.
Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 09:14 - Sep 16 with 1870 viewsfactual_blue

Not sure if you'd regard Gary Gilmore as a serial killer, but The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer is a tremendous read.

For anybody interested in the JFK assassination, Mailer's book Oswald's Tale is an excellent book.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 10:48 - Sep 16 with 1822 viewsLankHenners

Somebody's Husband, Somebody's Son by Gordon Burn is an excellent, thorough account of Peter Sutcliffe's life and ultimate conviction as the Yorkshire Ripper.

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote is a classic true crime non-fiction novel. The subjects of the novel aren't 'serial' killers but it's a fascinating read, even if Capote took some creative license with some of the scenes.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Login to get fewer ads

Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 13:34 - Sep 16 with 1770 viewsFenland_Blue

I'm not into it myself, but did recently read about the Cleveland Torso Murderer from the 1930's.

12-20 victims, all who were down on their luck, had body parts dismembered and heads removed, most were never identified.

Links in with Eliot Ness, they never caught the murderer, who continued to taunt Ness by post into the early 1950's.

Up and mainly down, following Town since 88

Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 13:36 - Sep 16 with 1768 viewsFenland_Blue

Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 08:06 - Sep 16 by PJH

I have eight books relating to Marilyn Monroe with most of them specifically about her death, including the one that you mention.

What did they conclude, was it Robert Kennedy?

Up and mainly down, following Town since 88

Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 13:47 - Sep 16 with 1749 viewsnorth_stand77

I read Helter Skelter when I was heavily pregnant with my twins for a little bit of afternoon light reading/ relaxing time. It absolutely terrified me!!

Recently saw a documentary and a film on Manson (might have been Netflix?) And it still had a horrifying impact. Just shows how humans can be brainwashed.
Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 13:51 - Sep 16 with 1744 viewsPJH

Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 13:36 - Sep 16 by Fenland_Blue

What did they conclude, was it Robert Kennedy?

Most suggest that it was not him personally but because of him and most suggest he was on the scene at the time.
Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 14:34 - Sep 16 with 1714 viewsFenboyBlue

Talking of serial killers, I'm following (I hesitate to say 'enjoying' doesn't seem appropriate) "Des" on ITV about Dennis Nilsen. David Tennant is quite chilling as Nilsen.
Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 14:45 - Sep 16 with 1701 viewsurbanblue

Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 09:14 - Sep 16 by factual_blue

Not sure if you'd regard Gary Gilmore as a serial killer, but The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer is a tremendous read.

For anybody interested in the JFK assassination, Mailer's book Oswald's Tale is an excellent book.

I'll second 'The Executioners Song' ... Superb.
Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 14:46 - Sep 16 with 1700 viewsFenboyBlue

Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 13:47 - Sep 16 by north_stand77

I read Helter Skelter when I was heavily pregnant with my twins for a little bit of afternoon light reading/ relaxing time. It absolutely terrified me!!

Recently saw a documentary and a film on Manson (might have been Netflix?) And it still had a horrifying impact. Just shows how humans can be brainwashed.

I watched a good Manson documentary on Sky Arts last month. It was looking at the story from the angle of his failed music career and his chance encounters with various musicians around LA before things got really bad.

I saw a documentary on Steve McQueen last year which mentioned he was supposed to be at Sharon Tate's house that fateful night but missed a flight back to Hollywood. That's a big "What If?" moment right there.
Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 14:51 - Sep 16 with 1692 viewsurbanblue

Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 10:48 - Sep 16 by LankHenners

Somebody's Husband, Somebody's Son by Gordon Burn is an excellent, thorough account of Peter Sutcliffe's life and ultimate conviction as the Yorkshire Ripper.

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote is a classic true crime non-fiction novel. The subjects of the novel aren't 'serial' killers but it's a fascinating read, even if Capote took some creative license with some of the scenes.

I thought 'In Cold Blood' was excellent. The first true crime non fiction novel I believe. The start of a whole new genre.
Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 15:05 - Sep 16 with 1673 viewsurbanblue

The TV Series of 'I'll be gone in the dark" has actually already been shown. Interestingly, your post has come only a week after my brother recommended both the book and the Series to me.

Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 15:17 - Sep 16 with 1664 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 17:38 - Sep 16 with 1624 viewsstiff_talking

Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 15:17 - Sep 16 by BryanPlug

I read I’ll Be Gone In A Day and this led to research and reading a number of serial killer books.
Michelle McNamara idea of being home research Detective was totally inspiring if I am honest.
All your comments on this post are also really interesting !

I will read They All Love Jack and Executioners Song as those are new to me.

I will also watch Des as David Tennant is typically great.

A few others things -

My favorite JFK book is Unspeakable by James Douglas as it investigates the reasons for the assassination. Very few people look at the reasons but focus on the event itself.

Sudden Terror Larry Crompton is a long read but excellent on the truly terrifying Golden State Killer (this guy is the worst in my opinion).

My favorite Jack the Ripper novel is by Philip Sugden with the same name!
Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 17:41 - Sep 16 with 1619 viewsJ2BLUE

Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 08:03 - Sep 16 by PJH

I have approx 60 books relating to Jack The Ripper with another one due to arrive any day now.

If anyone has an interest in the subject I can list a few of those that I consider to be the most worthwhile.

Go on then, who was it?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 17:45 - Sep 16 with 1615 viewsPJH

Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 17:41 - Sep 16 by J2BLUE

Go on then, who was it?

Don't know but they are dead now.

A lot of the books decide on a pet 'suspect' and include anything that implicates them and ignore things that don't and as I read each book I am usually thinking 'just maybe' for part of the book but how long into the book I think that varies. Sometimes at the end of the book I am still thinking 'just maybe'.
Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 17:51 - Sep 16 with 1607 viewsjeera

Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 14:51 - Sep 16 by urbanblue

I thought 'In Cold Blood' was excellent. The first true crime non fiction novel I believe. The start of a whole new genre.

I can't recall how many families the pair killed, but the stories came from interviews he was allowed to make whilst they were on death row didn't they.

Nasty stuff but yes, still a captivating read at the same time.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 17:51 - Sep 16 with 1605 viewsBryanPlug

Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 17:41 - Sep 16 by J2BLUE

Go on then, who was it?

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 23:17 - Sep 16 with 1531 viewsMelford

Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 14:34 - Sep 16 by FenboyBlue

Talking of serial killers, I'm following (I hesitate to say 'enjoying' doesn't seem appropriate) "Des" on ITV about Dennis Nilsen. David Tennant is quite chilling as Nilsen.

I've only watched the first episode so far. Tennant is amazing as Nilsen, looks and sounds just like him, the book Brian Masters wrote Killing For Company is worth a read. I remember my parents had it and I first read it at about 12 years old and it completely terrified me.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Serial Killer Books - worth reading on 08:37 - Sep 17 with 1462 viewsLevelTheLand

Not a book, but the Casefile podcast is great. They covered the Golden State Killer case over 5 episodes, followed by 2 interviews, and a further episode once he had been arrested.

It's almost 10 hours worth, but really interesting stuff. It's case number 53, if anyone is interested!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024