Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It seems he's actually a CB? 17:36 - Sep 22 with 10751 viewsJ2BLUE

https://dailycannon.com/2020/08/mark-mcguinness-arsenal/

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

It seems he's actually a CB? on 12:52 - Sep 23 with 2617 viewsBrixtonBlue

It seems he's actually a CB? on 12:51 - Sep 23 by J2BLUE

I wondered if this might be a two year thing if we go up. You'd think the Championship would be his next step if he's half decent.

Good shout. If he's anything like Carter-Vickers we'll be laughing.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

It seems he's actually a CB? on 13:10 - Sep 23 with 2599 viewsWickets

It seems he's actually a CB? on 12:52 - Sep 23 by BrixtonBlue

Good shout. If he's anything like Carter-Vickers we'll be laughing.

Indeed and what some are forgetting or simply dont understand that if PL can loan out either Toto or Wilson it would give us some wiggle room under the pay cap .If that is not the plan then i suspect that either KVY or Woolfy might be out for a while. Either way it looks like good management to me .
It seems he's actually a CB? on 13:14 - Sep 23 with 2596 viewsHerbivore

It seems he's actually a CB? on 13:10 - Sep 23 by Wickets

Indeed and what some are forgetting or simply dont understand that if PL can loan out either Toto or Wilson it would give us some wiggle room under the pay cap .If that is not the plan then i suspect that either KVY or Woolfy might be out for a while. Either way it looks like good management to me .

I can't see anyone taking Nsiala or Wilson on loan. And how does that fit with the new ethos of winning the shirt and keeping the shirt if you're playing well? They've played both league games and we've not conceded a goal and you're suggesting shipping one of them out (which seems improbable). If KVY is out for a while shouldn't we be looking to bring in a right back rather than another CB? Chambers can do a job there but he's not a natural full back by any stretch. Just looks an odd one on paper but as he's here let's hope he tears it up.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

It seems he's actually a CB? on 13:21 - Sep 23 with 2578 viewsSouperJim

It seems he's actually a CB? on 13:14 - Sep 23 by Herbivore

I can't see anyone taking Nsiala or Wilson on loan. And how does that fit with the new ethos of winning the shirt and keeping the shirt if you're playing well? They've played both league games and we've not conceded a goal and you're suggesting shipping one of them out (which seems improbable). If KVY is out for a while shouldn't we be looking to bring in a right back rather than another CB? Chambers can do a job there but he's not a natural full back by any stretch. Just looks an odd one on paper but as he's here let's hope he tears it up.

We've not conceded a goal yet, but we've been very fortunate not to do so, Wigan and Bristol both had some very good chances which they should have put away.

Goals change games. You can look at the stats from last season and say our defence was decent, it was the other end of the pitch that was the problem, but that's a very simplistic view. Once you concede a goal momentum shifts and it is typically harder to get back in it as the the other side get on top.

At times our defending remains shambolic. Not to mention Lambert clearly wants us to play out from the back and is building an entire approach around this. Are you really that confident about Wilson and Nsiala with the ball at their feet, as frankly Toto gives me kittens at times and Wilson is a old fashioned stop it and lump it man.

This is a good signing which makes perfect sense given the way we want to play.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

It seems he's actually a CB? on 13:45 - Sep 23 with 2549 viewsHerbivore

It seems he's actually a CB? on 13:21 - Sep 23 by SouperJim

We've not conceded a goal yet, but we've been very fortunate not to do so, Wigan and Bristol both had some very good chances which they should have put away.

Goals change games. You can look at the stats from last season and say our defence was decent, it was the other end of the pitch that was the problem, but that's a very simplistic view. Once you concede a goal momentum shifts and it is typically harder to get back in it as the the other side get on top.

At times our defending remains shambolic. Not to mention Lambert clearly wants us to play out from the back and is building an entire approach around this. Are you really that confident about Wilson and Nsiala with the ball at their feet, as frankly Toto gives me kittens at times and Wilson is a old fashioned stop it and lump it man.

I didn't see any good chances for Brizzle to be honest, from the highlights there were two set pieces that they nearly got on the end of and that was about it. Both Wigan chances came from set pieces as well. That's not down to the CBs primarily as I've explained elsewhere.

I don't think anyone wants to see Nsiala and Wilson playing every game, they are our third and fourth choice CBs. Once Woolf is back that makes a difference. As I said elsewhere, if Woolf is out long term then this makes more sense so let's see if that is the case. If he's not I think it makes us overly stacked at CB with limited cover at RB and no obvious option as our main central striker.

It seems he's actually a CB? on 14:34 - Sep 23 with 2532 viewsBrixtonBlue

It seems he's actually a CB? on 13:21 - Sep 23 by SouperJim

You make a very good case to be fair.

I do wonder about Lambert playing TWO young centre backs. I guess if you're good enough you're old enough, but centre back is normally where you'd want a bit of experience.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

It seems he's actually a CB? on 14:38 - Sep 23 with 2526 viewsJ2BLUE

It seems he's actually a CB? on 14:34 - Sep 23 by BrixtonBlue

You make a very good case to be fair.

I do wonder about Lambert playing TWO young centre backs. I guess if you're good enough you're old enough, but centre back is normally where you'd want a bit of experience.

Plenty either side if Chambers is going to play at RB until KVY returns.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

It seems he's actually a CB? on 14:42 - Sep 23 with 2520 viewsSouperJim

It seems he's actually a CB? on 13:45 - Sep 23 by Herbivore

I didn't see any good chances for Brizzle to be honest, from the highlights there were two set pieces that they nearly got on the end of and that was about it. Both Wigan chances came from set pieces as well. That's not down to the CBs primarily as I've explained elsewhere.

I don't think anyone wants to see Nsiala and Wilson playing every game, they are our third and fourth choice CBs. Once Woolf is back that makes a difference. As I said elsewhere, if Woolf is out long term then this makes more sense so let's see if that is the case. If he's not I think it makes us overly stacked at CB with limited cover at RB and no obvious option as our main central striker.

It seems Chambers is being viewed as a right back at least at present, the only other recognised CB who can play the ball short comfortably is Woolf, and he's injured. Overly stacked at CB perhaps, but overly stacked for CBs who fit the way we want to play, definitely not.

Seems a bit daft to say why are we signing a CB when we need options up front. We need both, it's not an either or. Besides in Norwood, Hawkins and Drinan (admittedly injured) I make it 3 players competing for one lone striker role. Looks healthier to me than an injured Woolf as the only option to fill two ball-playing CB spots.

Login to get fewer ads

It seems he's actually a CB? on 15:15 - Sep 23 with 2499 viewsHerbivore

It seems he's actually a CB? on 14:42 - Sep 23 by SouperJim

It seems Chambers is being viewed as a right back at least at present, the only other recognised CB who can play the ball short comfortably is Woolf, and he's injured. Overly stacked at CB perhaps, but overly stacked for CBs who fit the way we want to play, definitely not.

Seems a bit daft to say why are we signing a CB when we need options up front. We need both, it's not an either or. Besides in Norwood, Hawkins and Drinan (admittedly injured) I make it 3 players competing for one lone striker role. Looks healthier to me than an injured Woolf as the only option to fill two ball-playing CB spots.

Drinan isn't available for 2 months and is unproven. Norwood doesn't look like he can play the role and Hawkins doesn't score goals. So for me we're lacking a solid, dependable starting option there.

We know Chambers isn't really a right back. He can cover there for a few games but if KVY is out long term we need a proper right back. That then frees up Chambers to move back into the middle. I'd rather that than signing another CB and treating Chambers as a make shift right back longer term.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the necessity of signing another CB when we already have four senior options plus Ndaba coming through in that area. Hope he tears it up and hope the glut of CBs doesn't lead to more Lambingo.

It seems he's actually a CB? on 15:26 - Sep 23 with 2482 viewsSouperJim

It seems he's actually a CB? on 15:15 - Sep 23 by Herbivore

Drinan isn't available for 2 months and is unproven. Norwood doesn't look like he can play the role and Hawkins doesn't score goals. So for me we're lacking a solid, dependable starting option there.

We know Chambers isn't really a right back. He can cover there for a few games but if KVY is out long term we need a proper right back. That then frees up Chambers to move back into the middle. I'd rather that than signing another CB and treating Chambers as a make shift right back longer term.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the necessity of signing another CB when we already have four senior options plus Ndaba coming through in that area. Hope he tears it up and hope the glut of CBs doesn't lead to more Lambingo.

As you say, we're not going to agree, but what's the problem with Norwood? I think he leads the line quite well. I don't think we can make any firm statement about Hawkins yet as he's barely played, but he's certainly the right type of player for the role. For me there is less pressure to score goals when you're the lone striker in a 433/451, it's about holding the ball up, being and outlet and bringing others into play. We've won 2 from 2 and haven't seen the central man score yet.

Also, yeah Chambers isn't an out and out right back, but he's probably made over 100 appearances there and does a decent job of it.

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating and all that, but I can see why Lambert signed this guy and it's not as simple as how many fit CBs we have versus how many fit central strikers we have.

It seems he's actually a CB? on 15:29 - Sep 23 with 2481 viewsMetal_Hacker

It seems he's actually a CB? on 15:15 - Sep 23 by Herbivore

There's nothing to suggest there isn't something on the horizon ref AN Other "target" man up front . Agreed there's nothing to suggest there is but looking at the signing in isolation , surely it's perceived as an upgrade on Nsiala and /or Wilson and also offers greater scope and potential for us playing the way we want to ?

I'm with you ref up front btw....we need something for sure but I think that'll come from one of three things

Woolfy , Downes or Jackson being sold

Poll: If it were one or the other

It seems he's actually a CB? on 15:39 - Sep 23 with 2475 viewsHerbivore

It seems he's actually a CB? on 15:26 - Sep 23 by SouperJim

As you say, we're not going to agree, but what's the problem with Norwood? I think he leads the line quite well. I don't think we can make any firm statement about Hawkins yet as he's barely played, but he's certainly the right type of player for the role. For me there is less pressure to score goals when you're the lone striker in a 433/451, it's about holding the ball up, being and outlet and bringing others into play. We've won 2 from 2 and haven't seen the central man score yet.

Also, yeah Chambers isn't an out and out right back, but he's probably made over 100 appearances there and does a decent job of it.

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating and all that, but I can see why Lambert signed this guy and it's not as simple as how many fit CBs we have versus how many fit central strikers we have.

Norwood doesn't lead the line well at all. He drifts too much and although he tussles with defenders he doesn't tend to win much. His link up play is pretty mediocre. I'm not at all sold on him in this system. Hawkins won't score enough. I take your point we've won twice without the striker scoring but the opposition hasn't been great and it's unlikely we'll carry on muddling through without a central striker starting to contribute goals. For me it's an area we look weak currently, along with right back whilst KVY is out. I'm fine with our CB options pre-McGuiness but appreciate others disagree.

It seems he's actually a CB? on 15:44 - Sep 23 with 2468 viewsHerbivore

It seems he's actually a CB? on 15:29 - Sep 23 by Metal_Hacker

There's nothing to suggest there isn't something on the horizon ref AN Other "target" man up front . Agreed there's nothing to suggest there is but looking at the signing in isolation , surely it's perceived as an upgrade on Nsiala and /or Wilson and also offers greater scope and potential for us playing the way we want to ?

I'm with you ref up front btw....we need something for sure but I think that'll come from one of three things

Woolfy , Downes or Jackson being sold

I hope another striker is in the offing but we'll see. If it turns out that the budget only stretched to one loan signing and this is the way we've gone I'd find that an odd decision personally, as both central striker and right back look to be areas where we're less well covered.

You'd hope the new lad is seen as an upgrade otherwise there's no point in signing him but he's not played any senior football really so whether he can do it week in and week out is yet to be seen. Let's not forget that Nsiala was on the books of Everton at a similar age so it's not nailed on that these young defenders will make it even when highly thought of at PL clubs. The timing is also a bit odd in light of Lambert throwing down the gauntlet to earn the shirt and keep it. Nsiala has done that in preseason and Wilson has started well too. Two clean sheets so far in the league. Just seems a little odd to me.

As I've said though I appreciate that others don't agree with my take on it and I genuinely hope the kid tears it up.

It seems he's actually a CB? on 15:50 - Sep 23 with 2463 viewsMetal_Hacker

It seems he's actually a CB? on 15:44 - Sep 23 by Herbivore

I hope another striker is in the offing but we'll see. If it turns out that the budget only stretched to one loan signing and this is the way we've gone I'd find that an odd decision personally, as both central striker and right back look to be areas where we're less well covered.

You'd hope the new lad is seen as an upgrade otherwise there's no point in signing him but he's not played any senior football really so whether he can do it week in and week out is yet to be seen. Let's not forget that Nsiala was on the books of Everton at a similar age so it's not nailed on that these young defenders will make it even when highly thought of at PL clubs. The timing is also a bit odd in light of Lambert throwing down the gauntlet to earn the shirt and keep it. Nsiala has done that in preseason and Wilson has started well too. Two clean sheets so far in the league. Just seems a little odd to me.

As I've said though I appreciate that others don't agree with my take on it and I genuinely hope the kid tears it up.

Yeah I see the argument trust me but I think there perhaps might be something else lingering . I'd be slightly disappointed if not

All we can do is keep em crossed

It seems he's actually a CB? on 15:55 - Sep 23 with 2456 viewsBrixtonBlue

It seems he's actually a CB? on 15:26 - Sep 23 by SouperJim

After seeing that headed miss from Hawkins at the weekend I'm not convinced he's the man to get the goals. I probably shouldn't judge him on one miss, but you'd expect a half decent striker of his height to bury that.

Jury's a bit out on Norwood too.

I generally agree with what you're saying but I'd really like a quality young forward in on loan as well. I'm not convinced the ones we have have enough goals in them.

It seems he's actually a CB? on 15:58 - Sep 23 with 2449 viewshype313

It seems he's actually a CB? on 15:55 - Sep 23 by BrixtonBlue

After seeing that headed miss from Hawkins at the weekend I'm not convinced he's the man to get the goals. I probably shouldn't judge him on one miss, but you'd expect a half decent striker of his height to bury that.

Jury's a bit out on Norwood too.

I generally agree with what you're saying but I'd really like a quality young forward in on loan as well. I'm not convinced the ones we have have enough goals in them.

Jury is massively out on Norwood for me too, He missed a number of one on one chances last season which any clinical striker would have buried, his time here has been spent mostly having banter on social media, the blokes a clown.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

It seems he's actually a CB? on 16:05 - Sep 23 with 2442 viewstractordownsouth

Hopefully this means that someone's in for Wilson and he's coming in to partner Woolf. But most likely it'll be as a Woolf replacement or to cover and allow Chambers to play RB as KVY's out for a while.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

It seems he's actually a CB? on 16:28 - Sep 23 with 2425 viewsmanchego

It seems he's actually a CB? on 16:05 - Sep 23 by tractordownsouth

Hopefully this means that someone's in for Wilson and he's coming in to partner Woolf. But most likely it'll be as a Woolf replacement or to cover and allow Chambers to play RB as KVY's out for a while.

With all the games and the ensuing injuries, suspensions, lack of form which 'will' happen, I'm really really pleased with the new guy ( obv. I don't know if he is Baresi or Fish ).
Teams with a strong defence usually play with more freedom and confidence which no doubt converts into more goals.
It seems he's actually a CB? on 16:29 - Sep 23 with 2423 viewsSouperJim

It seems he's actually a CB? on 15:39 - Sep 23 by Herbivore

Norwood doesn't lead the line well at all. He drifts too much and although he tussles with defenders he doesn't tend to win much. His link up play is pretty mediocre. I'm not at all sold on him in this system. Hawkins won't score enough. I take your point we've won twice without the striker scoring but the opposition hasn't been great and it's unlikely we'll carry on muddling through without a central striker starting to contribute goals. For me it's an area we look weak currently, along with right back whilst KVY is out. I'm fine with our CB options pre-McGuiness but appreciate others disagree.

It's a fair argument about Norwood, I guess we'll see as he plays more games. He puts himself about and works hard, but you're right that the jury is still out on the end product of all that as a long striker, I guess my initial opinion was based on the way he makes a nuisance of himself. He does come with a reputation for scoring goals of course and had a fair return last season, but then most of his goals have been while playing in a front 2 at a lower level. Let's hope he can step up and be the leading man we need.

It seems he's actually a CB? on 16:34 - Sep 23 with 2416 viewsHerbivore

It seems he's actually a CB? on 16:29 - Sep 23 by SouperJim

It's a fair argument about Norwood, I guess we'll see as he plays more games. He puts himself about and works hard, but you're right that the jury is still out on the end product of all that as a long striker, I guess my initial opinion was based on the way he makes a nuisance of himself. He does come with a reputation for scoring goals of course and had a fair return last season, but then most of his goals have been while playing in a front 2 at a lower level. Let's hope he can step up and be the leading man we need.

I certainly hope he can. I thought Drinan was looking good in that role, playing it with real discipline and intelligence, so it's a shame he got injured. He was unlucky not to have nabbed a goal or two in his starts as well so he was getting into good positions as well as linking play well. I've not seen enough of Hawkins and hopefully he can offer something. It's definitely the position I look at with the most concern at the moment as I don't see a nailed on starter who can really offer us what we need just now. Hopefully Norwood or Hawkins will become that.

It seems he's actually a CB? on 16:54 - Sep 23 with 2391 viewsMetal_Hacker

It seems he's actually a CB? on 16:34 - Sep 23 by Herbivore

I certainly hope he can. I thought Drinan was looking good in that role, playing it with real discipline and intelligence, so it's a shame he got injured. He was unlucky not to have nabbed a goal or two in his starts as well so he was getting into good positions as well as linking play well. I've not seen enough of Hawkins and hopefully he can offer something. It's definitely the position I look at with the most concern at the moment as I don't see a nailed on starter who can really offer us what we need just now. Hopefully Norwood or Hawkins will become that.

You used a word there that you'd probably never use in the same sentence as Norwood

Intelligence - If Norwood possessed a minute amount of it himself I think he could do a job .Seems for me his main problem apart from ability which could be worked on to a degree is the non-engagement of brain at times

It seems he's actually a CB? on 16:56 - Sep 23 with 2386 viewsHerbivore

It seems he's actually a CB? on 16:54 - Sep 23 by Metal_Hacker

You used a word there that you'd probably never use in the same sentence as Norwood

Intelligence - If Norwood possessed a minute amount of it himself I think he could do a job .Seems for me his main problem apart from ability which could be worked on to a degree is the non-engagement of brain at times

Completely agree. He plays in a brainless way at times, which is odd as some of his movement on the pitch is really clever. That's why he gets lots of chances (or did pre-injury) as he's not lightning quick, he relies on movement to get between the centre backs or find pockets of space. You'd usually associate that with clever footballers but so much of the other stuff he does on the pitch runs contrary to that. I can't quite work him out.

It seems he's actually a CB? on 17:08 - Sep 23 with 2377 viewsMetal_Hacker

It seems he's actually a CB? on 16:56 - Sep 23 by Herbivore

Completely agree. He plays in a brainless way at times, which is odd as some of his movement on the pitch is really clever. That's why he gets lots of chances (or did pre-injury) as he's not lightning quick, he relies on movement to get between the centre backs or find pockets of space. You'd usually associate that with clever footballers but so much of the other stuff he does on the pitch runs contrary to that. I can't quite work him out.

I honestly believe if that could be taught ,which it can because we're all played at a level of football for the most , he could be excellent

Again....we can only live in hope

It seems he's actually a CB? on 17:32 - Sep 23 with 2361 viewsRyorry

It seems he's actually a CB? on 15:39 - Sep 23 by Herbivore

The more I read of this "Hawkins doesn't score goals" and "Hawkins won't score enough", the more I imagine him reading this, fuming, and thinking "well I'll bloody well show you mate"!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

It seems he's actually a CB? on 17:34 - Sep 23 with 2355 viewsHerbivore

It seems he's actually a CB? on 17:32 - Sep 23 by Ryorry

The more I read of this "Hawkins doesn't score goals" and "Hawkins won't score enough", the more I imagine him reading this, fuming, and thinking "well I'll bloody well show you mate"!

I'm just trying to spur him on.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024