Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How many clubs will survive ? 07:16 - Sep 25 with 2292 viewsmuccletonjoe

The financial fallout of zero paying customers at league one and two grounds for, possibly the entire season , will be substantial.
I think it is reasonable to say , looking at some of the clubs concerned and their bank accounts, that as many as 10 from league one may not survive and possibly Upto 12 in league two. An enormous number of clubs to go the way of Bury and Macclesfield.
The question then is ; does the money which still overflows the pockets of premier league players get redirected to those in peril on the covid seas.
In my opinion , it's very unlikely, maybe the F.A. will take a stand and come to some arrangement , but in the past the lucrative t.v. millions have stayed with the elite and the greed and absurd wages are not going to be easily prized away from the premier league coffers.
What happens when clubs can no longer fulfill their fixtures is another story. In the case of Bury , each team just sat out that game, 4, or 5 teams leaving the league , will cause a much greater problem.
At the moment this doesn't seem like conjecture, but more like an inevitability, unless some sort of salvage package appears from government ( unlikely ) or the EFL ( even more unlikely ).
How many clubs will survive ? on 07:44 - Sep 25 with 2250 viewsChrisd

It was mentioned on TalkSPORT yesterday by Peterborough United's Darragh MacAnthony that out of 24 L1 clubs, if the current situation remains the same for the rest of this campaign 19 of those clubs would go into administration by the end of the season.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

How many clubs will survive ? on 07:47 - Sep 25 with 2243 viewsbluelagos

Without financial support, clearly many clubs will go to the wall.

So the need for help is clear. Whether that should come from the Premier league clubs or from the government will no doubt become a hotly debated issue. Both sides am sure will seek to help as little as possible whilst expecting the other to bail out those in need.

March is an awfully long time for clubs to survive without gate revenue.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

How many clubs will survive ? on 07:57 - Sep 25 with 2209 viewsmuccletonjoe

How many clubs will survive ? on 07:44 - Sep 25 by Chrisd

It was mentioned on TalkSPORT yesterday by Peterborough United's Darragh MacAnthony that out of 24 L1 clubs, if the current situation remains the same for the rest of this campaign 19 of those clubs would go into administration by the end of the season.

I would hope that is a worst case scenario, but it could happen, with no financial aid at all.
That being the case , there then is no league left to get promoted or relegated from, and football has at last eaten itself in its greed and short sightedness.
The premier league, will not escape unscathed from such a season either.
How many clubs will survive ? on 08:15 - Sep 25 with 2178 viewsGuthrum

How many clubs will survive ? on 07:47 - Sep 25 by bluelagos

Without financial support, clearly many clubs will go to the wall.

So the need for help is clear. Whether that should come from the Premier league clubs or from the government will no doubt become a hotly debated issue. Both sides am sure will seek to help as little as possible whilst expecting the other to bail out those in need.

March is an awfully long time for clubs to survive without gate revenue.

If the national/global economic scene gets bad enough, nobody will be able to afford Sky any more and the Prem will be stuffed, too.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

How many clubs will survive ? on 08:24 - Sep 25 with 2151 viewsArnieM

Evans said yesterday that Town will lose £10m this season and the local economy ( they did an extensive fact finding mission apparently), would lose something like £200m - which is staggering !

Obviously Leagues 1&2 stand to suffer most but I honestly would rule out one or two clubs from the Championship going to wall either . One that springs to mind is Derby. They’ve already sold their ground to cover their massive debts , and they have a large squad of very well paid players to fund. They’ve been fishing the bullet for sometime now I think.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

How many clubs will survive ? on 08:25 - Sep 25 with 2147 viewsbluelagos

How many clubs will survive ? on 08:15 - Sep 25 by Guthrum

If the national/global economic scene gets bad enough, nobody will be able to afford Sky any more and the Prem will be stuffed, too.

Which could lead to their collapse and the TV deal going with it. No idea how likely but it is possible.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

How many clubs will survive ? on 08:28 - Sep 25 with 2145 viewsWeekender

How many clubs will survive ? on 08:15 - Sep 25 by Guthrum

Will it get that bad though? The current impact seems specific to certain sectors, others seem to be doing ok.

And while we are restricted on leisure activities sky is a prominent source of entertainment for many, rightly or wrongly it would probably be one of the last luxuries to go.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

How many clubs will survive ? on 08:28 - Sep 25 with 2141 viewsMullet

Macclesfield going was no surprise, however after Bury it is a bitter blow. The cradle of league football is the North West and perhaps there is a sense of Darwinism (after all they went some time ago too) that not all can survive.

But I have several mates who are Red or Blue up here and live in places like Oldham and Stockport and have no interest in their local teams at all. It gets their back up when I give them stick over it, but also shows it's a longstanding problem that's gone nuclear in the Prem years.

United didn't just suck up fans across the region but nationally and then globally. And likewise the rest of them follow. It seems totally mad to me to have two teams or a "Prem team" and another etc. but a lot of kids used to ask me who my Prem team was when they found out I supported Ipswich.

This current situation is a second, sharper shock to the pyramid and the future of English football is at risk here. I can see a case for regionalising conference and below, but that's not a perfect measure. Geographically we're not the same as the bigger European nations who do that below their top tiers, but possibly have more and older pro teams.

I think we might see more Victorian style mergers if it continues. The Prem wants to horde all the resources and break free to make more across the globe as it is. Really everything in football should be done on %. Players, clubs, agents etc. should be open to scrutiny where the top pros pay the same proportion to the PFA as the bottom of the league, which didn't used to be the case and I wonder if it still is.

The big worry is clubs are forced to take on the little neighbours as sort of farm clubs like the American franchises, that seems to be a big possibility thanks to the salary cap moves too.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Login to get fewer ads

How many clubs will survive ? on 08:43 - Sep 25 with 2111 viewsGuthrum

How many clubs will survive ? on 08:24 - Sep 25 by ArnieM

Evans said yesterday that Town will lose £10m this season and the local economy ( they did an extensive fact finding mission apparently), would lose something like £200m - which is staggering !

Obviously Leagues 1&2 stand to suffer most but I honestly would rule out one or two clubs from the Championship going to wall either . One that springs to mind is Derby. They’ve already sold their ground to cover their massive debts , and they have a large squad of very well paid players to fund. They’ve been fishing the bullet for sometime now I think.

That was the local economy losing £200,000 per matchday, or £4.6m over the season.

£200m would, indeed, be staggering!

How many clubs will survive ? on 08:45 - Sep 25 with 2101 viewsMullet

How many clubs will survive ? on 08:43 - Sep 25 by Guthrum

That was the local economy losing £200,000 per matchday, or £4.6m over the season.

£200m would, indeed, be staggering!

I wonder how many pubs, chippys, even hotels etc. might go pop without football. There must be a fairly large sympathetic economy around the country entirely intertwined with matchday revenue.

Certainly some grounds I've been to seem to have places entriely there just for the home games basically.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

How many clubs will survive ? on 08:54 - Sep 25 with 2072 viewsMetal_Hacker

I'd say for the majority that the distribution of monies through the game is a major issue historically and moving forwards .

Until something is legislative and legally binding in terms of how money CAN be thrown around the higher stages of the game , then the poor will get poorer and the rich...well they'll continue to not give a rat's ar5e

We're all guilty for the most . We all fund the wheel that turns by paying for Sky

Long and short of it , things were unlikely to change and this would have happened anytime soon anyway so maybe this accelerates the death of some of the smaller clubs

Horrible mess

Poll: If it were one or the other

How many clubs will survive ? on 08:57 - Sep 25 with 2063 viewsPJH

How many clubs will survive ? on 08:45 - Sep 25 by Mullet

I wonder how many pubs, chippys, even hotels etc. might go pop without football. There must be a fairly large sympathetic economy around the country entirely intertwined with matchday revenue.

Certainly some grounds I've been to seem to have places entriely there just for the home games basically.

Certainly a lot of grounds have a chippy nearby and you do wonder how well they do on non football days-not very well I would think which means that there are probably several chippys in danger of disappearing.
How many clubs will survive ? on 08:59 - Sep 25 with 2056 viewshype313

Not only football that's screwed, Premier Rugby said that the majority of clubs in the top tier will go bang if fans aren't allowed in.

I don't know what the answer is, but it will be incredibly sad if we lose an abundance of clubs throughout sport because of this pandemic.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

How many times do I have to propose this... on 09:07 - Sep 25 with 2031 viewsPendejo

Hazmat suits!!

https://alterthecourse.com/thwart-ebola-with-designer-hazmat-suits/#sthash.vnbko

From F&F at Tesco thru to Burberry, Acquascutum to Football Club branded.... Sell them at £150 a time and insist on them being worn in public and there's a double boost... Everyone can go out a help the economy, and insisting on "Buy British" there's another boost to the economy ( both here and? A.n.other Asian country that produces them)

At large crowd events and public transport have disinfectant sprays to wash the exterior regularly.

Ah what about eating and drinking... Everything has to be in packets like astronauts in space and sucked they a special straw. If Tim Martin is switched into this imagine Kronenbourg and Big Breakfast sucked thru a straw. Hmmmm delicious!

Naaridge version designed to hide how ugly they are

Ours looks cool

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

How many clubs will survive ? on 09:10 - Sep 25 with 2018 viewsGuthrum

How many clubs will survive ? on 08:45 - Sep 25 by Mullet

Not to mention people selling food from trailers, who probably don't have enough trade from pubs in the evenings* to support them all.

* Which will also be constrined during this crisis and due to restrictions on going out.

How many clubs will survive ? on 09:19 - Sep 25 with 1986 viewsmuccletonjoe

How many clubs will survive ? on 09:10 - Sep 25 by Guthrum

Not to mention people selling food from trailers, who probably don't have enough trade from pubs in the evenings* to support them all.

* Which will also be constrined during this crisis and due to restrictions on going out.

A whole network of small catering places and probably pubs too , as they are now forced to close at 10pm and those in the town centre will not be receiving the bonus of match day trade.
How many clubs will survive ? on 09:41 - Sep 25 with 1938 viewshampstead_blue

iplayer will be a huge part of clubs surviving.

If every match is streamed revenue would cover lost gate receipts.

Don't forget that it's much cheaper to steward a fam at home that it is 15,000 at PR.

If Sky let the clubs out of the 3pm contract chains then we'll be fine

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

How many clubs will survive ? on 10:17 - Sep 25 with 1896 viewsArnieM

How many clubs will survive ? on 08:54 - Sep 25 by Metal_Hacker

I'd say for the majority that the distribution of monies through the game is a major issue historically and moving forwards .

Until something is legislative and legally binding in terms of how money CAN be thrown around the higher stages of the game , then the poor will get poorer and the rich...well they'll continue to not give a rat's ar5e

We're all guilty for the most . We all fund the wheel that turns by paying for Sky

Long and short of it , things were unlikely to change and this would have happened anytime soon anyway so maybe this accelerates the death of some of the smaller clubs

Horrible mess

Up until CoVid and the recent use of iFollow ( which if I get the instructions right I won’t be paying Sky anyway ), I’ve never been a subscriber to Sky . I hate them and all they have “ done for the game”

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

How many clubs will survive ? on 10:19 - Sep 25 with 1890 viewsMetal_Hacker

How many clubs will survive ? on 10:17 - Sep 25 by ArnieM

Up until CoVid and the recent use of iFollow ( which if I get the instructions right I won’t be paying Sky anyway ), I’ve never been a subscriber to Sky . I hate them and all they have “ done for the game”

Good man...I did say the "majority" not ALL btw

Good shout though...Sky have ruined the game . Some could say they've made it better but for me , it's long gone ...for now

Poll: If it were one or the other

How many clubs will survive ? on 11:19 - Sep 25 with 1841 viewsGuthrum

How many clubs will survive ? on 08:28 - Sep 25 by Weekender

Will it get that bad though? The current impact seems specific to certain sectors, others seem to be doing ok.

And while we are restricted on leisure activities sky is a prominent source of entertainment for many, rightly or wrongly it would probably be one of the last luxuries to go.

It could do. Consider governments, having borrowed vast amounts to support their countries through the crisis, then defaulting en masse because there is no realistic way of ever paying it all back.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024